Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You learn something new everyday

Comments

• AmotAmot Posts: 700 Member
    edited April 2015
    I just learned moments ago that I could set spawners for things like bugs and will-o-the whisps. I am still adjusting to the game too but this really can help with giving atmosphere to some lots, especially spooky houses!
    Let them eat cake.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited April 2015
    Amot wrote: »
    I just learned moments ago that I could set spawners for things like bugs and will-o-the whisps. I am still adjusting to the game too but this really can help with giving atmosphere to some lots, especially spooky houses!

They are excellent but don't get over enthusiastic with them as, depending on your computer, excessive spawners can cause lag.

Another way of providing atmosphere is using fog emitters. They give visual affects. You will have noticed occasionally there might be butterflies in the game that your sim can't catch. They are made by fog emitters.
  • AmotAmot Posts: 700 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    Amot wrote: »

They are excellent but don't get over enthusiastic with them as, depending on your computer, excessive spawners can cause lag.

Another way of providing atmosphere is using fog emitters. They give visual affects. You will have noticed occasionally there might be butterflies in the game that your sim can't catch. They are made by fog emitters.

The fog emitters are my favorite part, I tend to use the bug spawners for some butterflies over the bushes and stuff but nothing too much. my computer handles the Sims 3 game very well, no crashing or real lag although I put a decent amount of things in already.
    Let them eat cake.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I never have sims read the newspaper. I usually cancel it right away. But the sim in my current game, Draven, is Frugal and so I kept the paper delivery so he could clip coupons. His plumbot, Byte, is in the journalism career and got an opportunity which required him to read the paper for 5 days. If Byte hadn't had this opportunity, I totally would have missed this notice about Draven's wedding:

WeddingNews_zpszjhpy4wd.jpg~original

Now, their wedding wasn't anywhere near six figures, more like barely above $1000, but I was surprised that the newspaper incorporated my sims' life events into the news stories of the day. I wonder if it said anything about their joint birthday party...
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,014 Member
    @TreyNutz My sims don't usually read the paper either, but every once in a while they do. Sometimes I just subscribe so they can recycle it and get the +20/3 hrs Recycled moodlet. I discovered that all sims can get that moodlet, not just the Eco sims. I've seen announcements about my active sims and NPCs both: parties, marriages, death and birth notices and notices about families moving out too.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I just learned, right this minute after opening my game, that you can recolour gnomes! I never knew that, not even after six years.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited May 2015
    Did you guys know putting fish in the fish tank the one from High end loft mmakes babies of the fish you put in it,they reproduce so you never have to worry about replacing that precious lobster because watch as you get a tank full of lobsters.Yes you can put in a robot fish then scoop out the profits... :o craven you genius..I know

Did you know you can go in buy mode pick up your built snowmen before spring put them in family inventory and use them again every winter as decorations.You love that grim reaper snowman on the porch every year..put him in family inventory before spring and enjoy him every winter...craven that is brilliant...I know

I got the fish tank - but didn't have a fish. So I sent my fairy fishing.

Since it is snowing outside, and the ponds are frozen she has to do it in the wishing well.
    Fleur_Fishing_In_WW001.jpg

EDIT: She caught a piranha. Will that work? o:)
  • RebelCreator1RebelCreator1 Posts: 167 Member
    I learned something recently from a friend...that I could install things through the launcher while the game was running. While that may be no surprise to some of you...I was ecstatic. Apparently, I've been living under a rock lol
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,014 Member
    No big deal here, but I just saw two of my sims using their cell phones at the same time. The guy sim used just one hand to hold his phone and key in the number to call. The wife held the phone in one hand and punched the numbers with the other hand. Is this a trait thing? Or is it because the guy is a high nerd? Or maybe it doesn't mean anything. :D
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited May 2015
    Karritz wrote: »
    Did you guys know putting fish in the fish tank the one from High end loft mmakes babies of the fish you put in it,they reproduce so you never have to worry about replacing that precious lobster because watch as you get a tank full of lobsters.Yes you can put in a robot fish then scoop out the profits... :o craven you genius..I know

Did you know you can go in buy mode pick up your built snowmen before spring put them in family inventory and use them again every winter as decorations.You love that grim reaper snowman on the porch every year..put him in family inventory before spring and enjoy him every winter...craven that is brilliant...I know

I got the fish tank - but didn't have a fish. So I sent my fairy fishing.

Since it is snowing outside, and the ponds are frozen she has to do it in the wishing well.
    Fleur_Fishing_In_WW001.jpg

EDIT: She caught a piranha. Will that work? o:)

@Karritz All fish work I cannot remember if just one works or a pair but afterwards they reproduce you will see three then five etc Am not joking about this and for those interested you can have a new career in your game.Start a fish hatchery at your house start small and work your way up and it is a job to feed and clean cages etc.But karritz it may be one or a pair but I love having tanks full of the same stuff it is cute to see all angelfish or all rainbow snails etc.But it has to be the HELS aquarium the Anniversary item aquarium is special just like the bed is the only vibrating bed..

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited May 2015
    Looked everywhere just now and only!! found this,shows you nobody knows this stuff,hope you guys did not think I was kidding.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=1579.0

So guys try a new career be a fish hatchery owner and work from home. :) I personally was a lobster hatcher in my game plus a lobster tank looks cool in kitchens guys like they do in high end eating places with fresh lobster for cooking. <3
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    But it has to be the HELS aquarium the Anniversary item aquarium is special just like the bed is the only vibrating bed..

And I think the only place where the change of trying for baby is 100%.

I also have single species tanks in my game. For a while it was a shark tank, but I think they were dying off so I switched it to a lobster tank. Or maybe vice versa. This was the steampunk tank so I didn't see any mating.
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    I just found a new interaction. My Sim was level ten in "social networking" so I had her change every other person's relationship in the game.

I went to do this and I got an interaction along the lines of "Tell Joe about Martha's other relationship." I did not know your Sims could rat someone out like that. So I told Joe and he cried. It was sad... LOL

I also found that Sims instantly know when their relationship is changed. I took two married Sims and when one was at the gym, I changed that Sim's relationship to be the partner of another Sim at the gym.

A minute later the, no ex wife, storms in and starts screaming at the Sim that he cheated on her and they wind up in a fight. I was like, "How did she know?" :smile:

TreyNutz wrote: »
    But it has to be the HELS aquarium the Anniversary item aquarium is special just like the bed is the only vibrating bed..

And I think the only place where the change of trying for baby is 100%.

I also have single species tanks in my game. For a while it was a shark tank, but I think they were dying off so I switched it to a lobster tank. Or maybe vice versa. This was the steampunk tank so I didn't see any mating.

I've been avoiding fish tanks in this game because they tend to die. But I do have a very vague recollection about breeding fish. In my current game I'm playing the whole town. And the whole town is the many Sims I introduced to the game from my bin, plus all of Sunset Valley townies plus all of Dragon Valley townies. So I'm not focusing on careers. But I do like stay at home careers so my Sims don't have to rush off to work and have to get babysitters all day.
  • Anonymous_Loba24Anonymous_Loba24 Posts: 528 Member
    edited May 2015
    Looked everywhere just now and only!! found this,shows you nobody knows this stuff,hope you guys did not think I was kidding.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=1579.0

So guys try a new career be a fish hatchery owner and work from home. :) I personally was a lobster hatcher in my game plus a lobster tank looks cool in kitchens guys like they do in high end eating places with fresh lobster for cooking. <3

Thanks for this! I have a huge garden and since I have no time to deal with a horse, I tend to blow money on lots and lots of lobsters.

I just learned yesterday that horses can eat your plants though. I found out the worst way possible though! My stupid horse ATE my EXCELLENT QUALITY grapes and pumpkins!!! :#:# I was so enraged I got rid of it as soon as I realized my precious fruit were gone! But I couldn't bring them back.... To make that situation worse, I was getting ready to harvest them both! So I had to start from the bottom and so buy some seeds. From then on, I not lock my garden gates to only allow my gardening Sim.

Edited cause I can't spell.
    4079d81271f2af485384f79de0670e0a.gif
    If you put a scare crow in your garden your pets will get a Panicked moodlet - from seeing a scarecrow. I forget what its value is but it is very negative.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I just learned yesterday that horses can eat your plants though. I found out the worst way possible though! My stupid horse ATE my EXCELLENT QUALITY grapes and pumpkins!!! :#:# I was so enraged...
    Not sure I understand why anyone would deprive their own horses of excellent quality grapes and pumpkins. I am sure they loved your sims for so thoughtfully leaving out such a nicely prepared buffet for them, although I think they might have enjoyed a barrel of apples just as much. :)

(somehow I feel like I am going to regret having posted this...)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I don't mind if they eat the plants and I have some of that quality in my inventory otherwise it's a pain starting over with just a jiraml gardener and no skills or trait benefits.
  • Anonymous_Loba24Anonymous_Loba24 Posts: 528 Member
    e
    igazor wrote: »
    I just learned yesterday that horses can eat your plants though. I found out the worst way possible though! My stupid horse ATE my EXCELLENT QUALITY grapes and pumpkins!!! :#:# I was so enraged...
    Not sure I understand why anyone would deprive their own horses of excellent quality grapes and pumpkins. I am sure they loved your sims for so thoughtfully leaving out such a nicely prepared buffet for them, although I think they might have enjoyed a barrel of apples just as much. :)

(somehow I feel like I am going to regret having posted this...)

Yeah, but there were normal quality stuff... He could've ate those!
    4079d81271f2af485384f79de0670e0a.gif
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Chimark wrote: »
    I just found a new interaction. My Sim was level ten in "social networking" so I had her change every other person's relationship in the game.

I went to do this and I got an interaction along the lines of "Tell Joe about Martha's other relationship." I did not know your Sims could rat someone out like that. So I told Joe and he cried. It was sad... LOL

I also found that Sims instantly know when their relationship is changed. I took two married Sims and when one was at the gym, I changed that Sim's relationship to be the partner of another Sim at the gym.

A minute later the, no ex wife, storms in and starts screaming at the Sim that he cheated on her and they wind up in a fight. I was like, "How did she know?" :smile:

Yeah, I discovered that "Tell [sim1] about [sim2]'s other relationship" pretty early on in the game, by just wanting to talk to a friend and finding that as an option right there o_o So being the petty person I am, I went for it, and yeah, the crying happened.

Just a couple of weeks ago, though, I saw this interaction again, on a guy my sim had just met and wanted to date. I think my sim knew about the other relationship because the woman was married to her relative XD. Excited, I went to tell him, so that he'd get over his now-married high school love interest and move onto my sim.

...but instead of crying and falling into my sim's arms like I expected, he got angry and yelled at her, sending their relationship into the negatives! So apparently you have to at least be friends or something to pull it off. Which makes sense; I wouldn't believe some random stranger whose first words to me were "Your boyfriend's cheating on you!!!"
  • Dimon6579Dimon6579 Posts: 501 Member
    edited May 2015
    I found out that ghosts could die the other day. Apparently, someone posted a lifeguard picture of a ghost drowning. So what happens when a ghost dies again?

I also found out that someone was having a pool party in my pool at home, even though all my sims were out. So when my sims came home, not only did they have to clean up random sims messes, they did not even get invited to the party..lol.
    A sims 4 player, but i mostly play on steam. I do not own sims 4 on steam, but thru origin. I play on few occasions sims 4.
    Dimon6579 wrote: »
    I found out that ghosts could die the other day. Apparently, someone posted a lifeguard picture of a ghost drowning. So what happens when a ghost dies again?

I don't think they can die again. But I could be wrong.

My lifeguard Sim got slapped by a ghost once because she saved another Sim from drowning instead of saving him.
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    A ghost can go back to the netherworld, which is pretty much dying again? Playable ghosts do age and die of old age, so I'm thinking that being able to kill one isn't that far off base.
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    edited May 2015
    I found out recently that you can have your sim to bottle feed a foal so that it won't be missing its mom which causes a 50 or 100 mood drop. That builds up sim-horse relationships pretty fast as well :)
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png