Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 4 and rabbit holes

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    candy8 wrote: »
    Oh please, people were begging to get rid of rabbit holes. I don't want them back if they did bring them back I would want them to be like GTW where the sims go to the moves and sit and look at a screen. THey could talk to each other while watching the movie. (but not to much) Are you listening EA.

Only again, if you're even slightly paying attention, they didn't get rid of rabbit holes. They just made everywhere you're not playing your active sim a rabbit hold instead. Overall TS4 is more rabbit holy than TS3 could have ever dreamed to be.

yeah perfect sumary, really if you are not there then is rabbit hole, peoples just don't notice because they are too busy focused in the active place or just don't care, but the game mechanic is based around rabbit holes mixed with active places, they mixed both mechanics using the "sitcom sketch".
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    Oh please, people were begging to get rid of rabbit holes. I don't want them back if they did bring them back I would want them to be like GTW where the sims go to the moves and sit and look at a screen. THey could talk to each other while watching the movie. (but not to much) Are you listening EA.

Only again, if you're even slightly paying attention, they didn't get rid of rabbit holes. They just made everywhere you're not playing your active sim a rabbit hold instead. Overall TS4 is more rabbit holy than TS3 could have ever dreamed to be.

yeah perfect sumary, really if you are not there then is rabbit hole, peoples just don't notice because they are too busy focused in the active place or just don't care, but the game mechanic is based around rabbit holes mixed with active places, they mixed both mechanics using the "sitcom sketch".

Again, you know the kind of player you can observe in a lets play who just cannot really manage a family of 4 or 5? The family survives but the player isn't really in control. That outside of 1 maybe 2 sims if you're lucky, the other sims in the players family are on their own like 75-80% of the time. This game is for that kind of player.

Again, you know the kind of player you can observe in a lets play who just cannot really manage a family of 4 or 5? The family survives but the player isn't really in control. That outside of 1 maybe 2 sims if you're lucky, the other sims in the players family are on their own like 75-80% of the time. This game is for that kind of player.

yep that i full agree

another note which i noticed on this game to show how exactly he is full focused on "zones".

the famou when switching between families they appear outside the house every time, while most of the times this is true this is not a 100% rule, again the game mechanic is whenever you choose a family to play the game will check that family if she had a "current loaded scene", if not then generate a new one leading to the standing outside the house scene, if have a current active scenario for someone(dont need be all of then) on that family the game allow you to choose that scenario and keep playing at it, leading to a change of point of view and some little connection.

how this happen, if while playing in one family the game spawn a sim from another family which you play in the zone of the current family, then if you switch to that sim then the game will allow you to keep that scenario still running.

then if you is on family A, then let one of the sims in family A cooking another paint and another playin a game and 2 chating/ woohoo, then a sim from Family B spawn in that lot, if you switch to family B and choose play with the sim in that scenario then that actions will not be lost they will be keep running maybe you lost the queue list but not the current action, if playing with the sim of the family B you are able to watch the family A you will see then doing what your make then do before changing the point of view.

the same if you invite a sim with a home who you play to your house, if you set all the A family sims to do something and change to family B the sims will keep doing that unless the game force then to change, by doing some autonomous orders which can mess with the current action.

however if you choose to play with another sim in family B then that scenario/zone will be discarded and a new one will be created and on that new one all of the family members will be there unless one of them is at work or at school, because the game automatically will throw your sims to that place while loading the scenarios, sometimes the game can bug and or don't proper throw the sim at the work and keep in at house then you need to send him or even worst creating the bug where you sim is at home but being displayed as at work and unable to control him.

then ironically the best way to avoid lost track and put your sims in rabbit holes is put manys as you can of that family in the same place and places at last one if not all of the sims from the next family you want to play in the same place as the family which you are currently play, this can prevent the effect "everyone at house entrance" while switching families and your previous sims still have roles in game than just being disabled if you are not using zones where they are or have to hope one of them to spawn in the new zone.

when i look to sims 4 he really looks like a failed attempt to do a sitcom, where you need to guide every sim to do what you want and many times hope they act as they where supposed to act(emotions)but get frustrated in most of the times since they can't proper answer for they surrounds.
  • domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member
    I see what you are saying. But I wouldn't personally consider "everything" to be a rabbit hole in sims 4, even though they are different locations separated by loading screens. You can chose your destination and where to play, so it's not a rabbit hole in that sense. If I go to a community lot, I can actually play it rather than just seeing the doorstep. Because of that, it's not a rabbit hole. Because you have a choice.
    wedding%2Bhobo.png
    I see what you are saying. But I wouldn't personally consider "everything" to be a rabbit hole in sims 4, even though they are different locations separated by loading screens. You can chose your destination and where to play, so it's not a rabbit hole in that sense. If I go to a community lot, I can actually play it rather than just seeing the doorstep. Because of that, it's not a rabbit hole. Because you have a choice.

Right so when you have a family of 4 and you leave the house with 1, what does your house become for your other 3 sims?

When you have a family of two, both at the gym and you leave the gym with 1 to go to the bar, what does the gym become for your other sim?

Its a rabbit hole in every sense only like I said, if you're the kind of player who only focuses on 1 sim 75+% of the time its OK.
  • XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I can already see the flame war coming to this thread -.-
    tenor.gif

Right so when you have a family of 4 and you leave the house with 1, what does your house become for your other 3 sims?

When you have a family of two, both at the gym and you leave the gym with 1 to go to the bar, what does the gym become for your other sim?

Its a rabbit hole in every sense only like I said, if you're the kind of player who only focuses on 1 sim 75+% of the time its OK.

yeah that is the point only the place where you are focused is not a rabbit hole, "as long you are there" then is a playable place, move out then "rabbit hole" effect.
    like vlaxitov say you are fine as long you have a little family or keep everyone in the same place in the moment you want to move then to different places then you get the rabbit hole effect on.
    XopaxPax wrote: »

Where exactly do you see it, outside of your own attempt at instigation?

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when you pop in out of the blue like that.

• XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited April 2015

Where exactly do you see it, outside of your own attempt at instigation?

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when you pop in out of the blue like that.

Flame wars are inevitable when the OP makes a large post.
    But i really hope i'm wrong.

tenor.gif

that is why i asked on the main post, which if you don't want have a proper discuss and just want flame don't waste your time here, i'm not aimming for bash. flame or hate i'm just pointing how some of the sims 4 mechanics works.
  • domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member

Maybe I wasn't being clear. The control of the absent sims are as if they were in a rabbit hole, but a rabbit hole is a location that your camera generally cannot enter, and I can switch control of my sims, at any moment I want and be able to play them at that other location. So that that other location is not a rabbit hole.
    wedding%2Bhobo.png

Maybe I wasn't being clear. The control of the absent sims are as if they were in a rabbit hole, but a rabbit hole is a location that your camera generally cannot enter, and I can switch control of my sims, at any moment I want and be able to play them at that other location. So that that other location is not a rabbit hole.

Yeah its rabbit hole, you can't control two sims in two different locations. If you think you can, that just demonstrates that you've never tried.

The minute you bounce from one lot to another where your sims are, the sim you leave drops their queue and sits in stasis with a handful of rabbit hole options similar to as if they were at work. Even at their own houses this is the case. Again, if you're mostly focused on 1 sim all the time you aren't going to care about that.

edited April 2015

the core of rabbit hole is not just a place where you can't enter but a place where you can't control your sim, like the vlaxitov told, base careers are rabithole and work exactly like the game, are zones where you can't control or see what your sim is doing the only difference is which in the overal world you can turn the rabbit holes active places but you can have only one active place per time all the others places will be a rabbit hole and you not be able to control your true sims actions unless you change the zone.

what many peoples complained over rabbit holes where not "just see" but be able to control the sim follow what he is doing, then maxis answer on sims 4 was, focus only in place per time and make that place active all the others places are just rabbit holes, which can be turned active at any time but you never gonna see they have "continuity", whenever you leave a place the actions being take on that place are not stored in game, i you switch back to that place the game just build a new scenario for you, while in some places like gym the chance of you char be doing the samething are high specially if they have few options, you still not garanted to have 100% the same scenario or even feel like the change was natural this easy to spot if you make fast changes of places, just leave a sim in a place put another sim in another place then keep just changing places without do anything you gonna see which everytime you do that the scene in each place will change, in one moment you can have a sim in a gym running in a threadmil then when you change to another place and come back(just change places without let time pass) you see which the sim can be using the box bag or using the exercise machine or even running in another trademill or speaking with other sim, the current action is changed to another one because is a new scenario being made.

this without looking at the npcs spawns which again dont make really any sense and are weird and just create stalkers sims.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sims 4 is one huge rabbithole is the point of this topic ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

is more like the mechanic in order to make the game more "light" and bearable to more low end computers use a "zone in" game type, where only the current place being played is a active zone any other place will be a rabbithole, most of that places(non mini rabbit holes like camp tent or telescope or no base careers) can be turned active in the moment you change the active place.

then if you play with only one sim or focus on only one or 2 or make all your sims aways go to the same place then, you almost not gonna get the rabbit hole feelings, saving for the base careers, schools and objects, but if you try to split it then you start to see the things are they are indeed in rabbit holes ^^, because you can't simple control then outside of the same active place.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2015

is more like the mechanic in order to make the game more "light" and bearable to more low end computers use a "zone in" game type, where only the current place being played is a active zone any other place will be a rabbithole, most of that places(non mini rabbit holes like camp tent or telescope or no base careers) can be turned active in the moment you change the active place.

then if you play with only one sim or focus on only one or 2 or make all your sims aways go to the same place then, you almost not gonna get the rabbit hole feelings, saving for the base careers, schools and objects, but if you try to split it then you start to see the things are they are indeed in rabbit holes ^^, because you can't simple control then outside of the same active place.
    I play a mother and a son (when I played) and with only two sims in my household I just have to say you hit the nail on the head for me. But I'm a hard core Sims 3 player of course so that's no surprise. I'm used to switching between sims constantly, never did anything else.

I can see how this would work for people who don't mind but I mind (it's one of the reasons why I regret there's no open world). What surprises me is how people have always complained about rabbitholes but are fine with sims disappearing. What do they hate I wonder. The buildings?
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2015

I play a mother and a son (when I played) and with only two sims in my household I just have to say you hit the nail on the head for me. But I'm a hard core Sims 3 player of course so that's no surprise. I'm used to switching between sims constantly, never did anything else.

I can see how this would work for people who don't mind but I mind (it's one of the reasons why I regret there's no open world). What surprises me is how people have always complained about rabbitholes but are fine with sims disappearing. What do they hate I wonder. The buildings?

i think that are the case of true happy peoples like, sims 3 was trash for me only lag, only crash, i hated robot sims and many others "sort of dislikes, based on personnal experience, then have a game which work, with little lag, which can play in "toasters(please i dont want to insult or flame but i love this joke then please don't take this serious really please) then they just ignore anything as long they can play.

sims 4 is a game in my opnion for "eyesores" which will wins peoples for the cheap setup(being able to play even in pcs under the minimum espec with some efforts) and have cute and fluffy colors and animations or you don't need to do too much efforts, then peoples which like that aspects automatically feel in love with the game and don't gonna be bothered by any trouble as long they can play, they only start to notice things if they game start to break, then as long that not happen they will be happy.

in my opnion is just like the mobiles games where you not gonna get involved by the game complexity but by just being fun enough for you can kill your time.

as many peoples noticed sims 4 target customer are not really "gamers" in the sense of want good games or even maybe really the whole the sims fanbase, but some peoples which want just a game to kill time and as long they can play it's fine despise any bug or bad mechanic.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited April 2015
    What surprises me is how people have always complained about rabbitholes but are fine with sims disappearing. What do they hate I wonder. The buildings?

That's what's funny, silly, and ironic about this whole rabbit hole business. The Sims have always had rabbit holes!
    What TS3 did was give the rabbit hole a physical location since the whole world was open and it would be silly to have this big world and have your sims drive out of town to go to work.

People talk like TS3 had no open community lots at all. What TS3 did wrong was make rabbit holes out of the Bistro/diner, the spa, the grocery store, and skip clothing stores. True, those were career rabbit holes, but simmers like these lots to be interactive.

Those who say they are glad rabbit holes are gone in TS4 have a bit of a logic disconnect. Your sim steps off the lot and teleports off to work, into the rabbit hole they go. All TS3 did was give the very same career rabbit holes a location. Ambitions and Get To Work offer nice alternatives, but both games had rabbit holes and interactive lots. It just a darn shame that TS3 never opened up those few important lots.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited April 2015
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    marcellala wrote: »
    The rocket in TS4 is a rabbit hole. Or the base game careers. So i don't get why they say there are none in TS4.

Well there wouldn't really be much to do inside such a small rocket so there'd be no point in it being fully interactive, but the tent is a rabbit hole and the outdoor public bathrooms are rabbit holes too but they aren't buildings.

Ehm...you're right. I totally wasn't talking about the space text adventures, but about the insides of the rocket.

ETA: Do you remember the TS3 time machine? I'm pretty sure people did not complain about it being a rabbit hole, because they couldn't see what is actually inside of it. They wanted to see the cool adventures our sims had text-wise.
    I get that there is just a limited amount of features you can put in a game, so i'm not that against rabbit holes, eventhough they're really teasing sometimes.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I admit I hated the double rabbit holes in the Sims 3. They never worked right and my teens kept missing the prom because of it. I had to replace some buildings to make them single rabbit holes. So I hope double rabbit holes never return.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    What surprises me is how people have always complained about rabbitholes but are fine with sims disappearing. What do they hate I wonder. The buildings?

That's what's funny, silly, and ironic about this whole rabbit hole business. The Sims have always had rabbit holes!
    What TS3 did was give the rabbit whole a physical location since the whole world was open and it would be silly to have this big world and have your sims drive out of town to go to work.

People talk like TS3 had no open community lots at all. What TS3 did wrong was make rabbit holes out of the Bistro/diner, the spa, the grocery store, and skip clothing stores. True, those were career rabbit holes, but simmers like these lots to be interactive.

Those who say they are glad rabbit holes are gone in TS4 have a bit of a logic disconnect. Your sim steps off the lot and teleports off to work, into the rabbit hole they go. All TS3 did was give the very same career rabbit holes a location. Ambitions and Get To Work offer nice alternatives, but both games had rabbit holes and interactive lots. It just a darn shame that TS3 never opened up those few important lots.

Agreed.

I never minded career, school or skill class rabbitholes in TS3 but I feel that EA took it a bit too far by making practically everything a rabbithole. I tend to think that the later release of Venues like The Business as Usual Bistro, Le Cinema Plumbob and even the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery were attempts made by EA to address this void.

And as a personal note, I've started calling the rabbitholes in TS4 wormholes considering how sims just disappear into thin air. I'm also entertaining the idea of adding "StarGates" and space conduits to the rotation! LOL
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
    Darkling wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »

What TS3 did was give the rabbit whole a physical location since the whole world was open and it would be silly to have this big world and have your sims drive out of town to go to work.

Agreed.

I never minded career, school or skill class rabbitholes in TS3 but I feel that EA took it a bit too far by making practically everything a rabbithole. I tend to think that the later release of Venues like The Business as Usual Bistro, Le Cinema Plumbob and even the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery were attempts made by EA to address this void.

And as a personal note, I've started calling the rabbitholes in TS4 wormholes considering how sims just disappear into thin air. I'm also entertaining the idea of adding "StarGates" and space conduits to the rotation! LOL

the bold part is so epic and fun lol, i'm really laught hard, yeah they get rabbit holes to a new level in ts4 where you living in a 2010 world with 2100++ tecnology with teletransport lol, we dont need a future expansion in sims 4 they already above they time lol.
    Scobre wrote: »
    I admit I hated the double rabbit holes in the Sims 3. They never worked right and my teens kept missing the prom because of it. I had to replace some buildings to make them single rabbit holes. So I hope double rabbit holes never return.

I always thought prom should have been a non rabbit hole event.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I always thought prom should have been a non rabbit hole event.
    Yeah that would have been super nice.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I think it makes more sense to me now why time was frozen in Sims 2 when you left your active home lot. It had to be done that way or else some sort of script would have to be run to simulate what was going on at home. For people who want to control everything and have rotational play, frozen time is sort of a necessity, otherwise time will flow on and you'd miss birthdays, etc.

This is what a lot of people are having an issue with in Sims 4, but this time I can't fault the developers completely because a lot of people wanted time to continue on. Yet what is the game supposed to do with these sims who are not being actively played? Time flows on, should they remain static? No, so some sort of script has to be run and that script is bound not to be realistic or even semi-realistic.

As Ellessarr pointed out, the scripts do not remember the situation at the point where you left the lot to play another lot. That's why when you come back, the situation will be completely different and a lot of random things could be going on.