Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My graphics card is too new!

AlixPaigeAlixPaige Posts: 6 New Member
I go to play my game and when it launcher open is gives me a warning that I have an unrecognizable video card. I launch the game and once I get to the neighborhood screen, most everything is black. I've gotten it to work before with a step by step easy to understand tutorial. I just don't remember where it was that I found it. I know I need to add my card, but I'm sure it's a lot more technical than that. Weird note: I go to my DeviceConfig and when I open up the file it's blank.

EA support has been useless.

Comments

• Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    Hi, @AlixPaige ! I think this is yours tutorial: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game
    (I have NVIDIA GeForce 660 GTX since 2012 and I have still to overwrite graphicCards.sgr, because EA haven't this updated for many years).
    PS: make a backup of all files, which you will to overwrite in installation folder and put it on safe place. If something goes wrong, you don't need reinstall yours game, but you can still use original files. ;)
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited April 2015
    @Bily_jednorozec There is no need to change the game's files. I have a newer Nvdia card

you need to add the TS3W file to Nvida control panel. Through your Nvidia control panel go to computer C, to program files x86, to origin games file, to the sims 3 file to the game file to the bin file. In the bin file you will find the TS3W file . One you add that file scroll down to vsync option and put vsync on. This will keep your fps at 60 otherwise the game will run your video card way too high.
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    I have an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series. @Bily_jednorozec I have tried this walkthrough like 3 times, either I am doing something wrong that I can't identify, or it's just not working.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 I do have something similar with my card. it's called AMD Catalyst center but I can't find what you are describing.
  • Options
    AlixPaige wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 I do have something similar with my card. it's called AMD Catalyst center but I can't find what you are describing.

got ya ill post to someone who uses amd to tell you how to do same as I do with Nvida
  • Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    Thank you, phoebebebe13, as I'm reinstalling, I'll try it.
    AlixPaige, sorry, I haven't experience with Radeon. :( I hope that someone with Radeon or more tecchy will help you.
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 So I am excited! I found the v sync option. I just loaded the world and it looks wayyy better than before. However, when I got to the main menu, I still got the unrecognized video card. what could be causing this and what can I do so that I can play on the highest settings?
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 on my control center for my card it's called vertical refresh which is the same thing pretty much.
  • Options
    I posted in a tech thread here for someone with AMD to help you
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Wait is this about the Sims 3 or Sims 4? Lmao
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Wait is this about the Sims 3 or Sims 4? Lmao

this is the sims 3 forum
  • Options
    My game is running beautifully! At least for now!
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I don't know if with AMD you need to change the sgr files? I know with Nvidia you don't need to. You just need to add the game to the control panel , put vsync on and you wont get notices. Have you tried rebooting your computer starting the game again to see if you get the card notice? If the notices stop and your game is running fine than you should be ok
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

I don't know if with AMD you need to change the sgr files? I know with Nvidia you don't need to. You just need to add the game to the control panel , put vsync on and you wont get notices. Have you tried rebooting your computer starting the game again to see if you get the card notice? If the notices stop and your game is running fine than you should be ok
    editing the SGR files is for correcting the match 0 found 0 in the device config log. Its not used just to remove the notice on start up.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited April 2015

editing the SGR files is for correcting the match 0 found 0 in the device config log. Its not used just to remove the notice on start up.

I know but I have never done that and I remember Crinrict mentioning that with nvida you dont need to edit the files you only need to add the game file to nvidia control panel. I have never have any issues not changing the files.
  • Options

I know but I have never done that and I remember Crinrict mentioning that with nvida you dont need to edit the files you only need to add the game file to nvidia control panel. I have never have any issues not changing the files.
    No allot of people with NVidia edit the files, I have done it also.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game
    Some report that editing the files help with performance, I however didn't notice any change at all.. except for the match 1 found 1.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game
    Some report that editing the files help with performance, I however didn't notice any change at all.. except for the match 1 found 1.

My game plays fine without changing the files. As long as vsync is working :D I have gotten no errors in my dxdiag from the sims 3 either
  • Options

My game plays fine without changing the files. As long as vsync is working :D I have gotten no errors in my dxdiag from the sims 3 either
    Yeah I know it will play fine without editing the files.. but some people just want their card to be in the data base. But if it isn't broke don't fix it lol

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Yeah I know it will play fine without editing the files.. but some people just want their card to be in the data base. But if it isn't broke don't fix it lol

I agree and chaining the files is confusing and a pain so if my game works fine without changing the files Im good to go LOL
  • Options
    Jacek83218Jacek83218 Posts: 603 New Member
    edited April 2015
    My game is playable but annoyingly laggy as it would be played on an old computer. I've tried editing files, only to have [Found: 1, Matched: 1], but it didn't improved performance. I have switched V-sync on, and added the game to NVIDIA control panel to make sure it won't use the integrated graphics chip. Nothing helps. The lag is still present.
    As for "graphics rules" file i have a question. In <match("${cardName}", "*GTX 8??*"))> line I've changed "6" to "8" as my card is GTX 850m. Is there another part I should edit? The tutorial said about 3 lines to edit, but in my case I thought that this is the only appropriate one.
  • Options
    Jacek83218 wrote: »
    My game is playable but annoyingly laggy. I've tried editing files, only to have [Found: 1, Matched: 1], but it didn't improved performance. I have switched V-sync on, and added the game to NVIDIA control panel to make sure it won't use the integrated graphics chip. Nothing helps. The lag is still present.
    As for "graphics rules" file i have a question. In line I've changed "6" to "8" as my card is GTX 850m. Is there another part I should edit? The tutorial said about 3 lines to edit, but in my case I thought that this is the only appropriate one.

I cant answer you about the files because I have never changed mine. I play the game on a 770m and no lag I have all eps installed accept pets pets and I had to lower some of my settings when I added uni. You may need to lower your settings and if you have pets installed maybe part of your issue. Pets is brutal to some of the best desktops and laptops are weaker than desktop.

also my card is better than the 850m
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-850M-vs-GeForce-GTX-770M
  • Options
    Jacek83218Jacek83218 Posts: 603 New Member
    edited April 2015
    I play on the same settings as I had on my old desktop - not everything to max. The only difference is resolution. On desktop I had 1400x900, now I have 1600x900, but I expected more noticeable performance improvement between a 2009 computer with geforce 9800, 3GB ram, core duo e8400 and 2015 laptop with 850m, 8GB ram and i7-4510U.
    BTW Isla Paradiso is laggy and unplayable as it was before.

Sadly EA never cared about optimizing Sims 3 engine.
  • Options
    Jacek83218 wrote: »
    I play on the same settings as I had on my old desktop - not everything to max. The only difference is resolution. On desktop I had 1400x900, now I have 1600x900, but I expected more noticeable performance improvement between a 2009 computer with geforce 9800, 3GB ram, core duo e8400 and 2015 laptop with 850m, 8GB ram and i7-4510U.
    BTW Isla Paradiso is laggy and unplayable as it was before.

Sadly EA never cared about optimizing Sims 3 engine.

This game is funny likes some computers and not others. IP has not changed I don't play it though I have it installed. Loding it does not lag for me but I dont know about playing it

someone posted this if you want to try it. They fixed the routing issues
    https://ellacharmed.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/isla-paradiso/
  • Options
    RosiumRosium Posts: 1 New Member
    I tried to follow all the steps on the wiki but under the graphicsrules.srg file, I couldn't find where to change the card name?

I can't find any of this?

if ( match("${cardName}",

Dislpay: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Please help! EA hasn't been the most helpful.

Thank you!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    Rosium wrote: »
    I tried to follow all the steps on the wiki but under the graphicsrules.srg file, I couldn't find where to change the card name?

I can't find any of this?

if ( match("${cardName}",

Dislpay: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Please help! EA hasn't been the most helpful.

Thank you!
    Hi there. You have an Intel HD 620 for graphics? I'm sorry, but that's not a dedicated graphics card, that's an integrated chip. Forcing its recognition is not likely to change anything. Although that series is stronger and better than Intel integrated has been in the past, there are still limits as to how far one can push the game on any integrated chip like that especially if playing with the heavier EPs in place (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF), attempting too high a resolution, or with graphics settings in Game Options set too high.

Does your game work and what problems are you trying to fix, exactly?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net