Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    @dmama1314
    Hi! Welcome to the challenge. You'll notice the OP hasn't updated this in well over a year now, but did leave a note endorsing the updated rules, which can be found here. Their corresponding scoresheets (updated as I go) can be found here. For future reference, you can bookmark those or find them in the OP :) Please note the instructions on the scoresheets, as they will tell you how to make a copy of the scoresheets for your personal use. The 48 pages of discussion on this challenge have been mostly about suggestions for the challenge, which you can find in the "Suggestions from Forums" section of the Google doc, so there's really no need to read through all the pages here if you don't want to.

As far as progression in the Prehistoric Era goes, your Ancestors are generation 0--since you progress into new eras once a new generation is born (unlike the Legacy Challenge, which progresses when an heir becomes a Young Adult) it would be far too easy to progress into Early Civilization if the first children born to your ancestors counted. This means the children of your Ancestors will be generation 1, and their children will be generation 2, marking the beginning of the second Era.

I seem to have a tendency to go off on tangents, my apologies... In any case, I hope that cleared things up for you and that you'll enjoy the challenge! As always, your suggestions, questions, and anything challenge-related are welcome here.
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
  • dmama1314dmama1314 Posts: 262 Member
    @Snowie Thank you so much!
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I have way too many saves going at the moment but I'm eager to give this one a go once I get one (or two cleared off my plate) it looks AMAZING!
    ~ ~ ~
  • SisselinSisselin Posts: 150 Member
    Hi hello sorry to bother everyone again but I made a punching "bag" that fits the prehistoric era C=
    Get my cc and follow me on tumblr here https://sisselin.tumblr.com/tagged/my cc
    tumblr_p44az47wrF1wvxve9o10_r1_1280.png
    Just a quick note, I'm working on an update for jungle adventure but I'm a bit conflicted about how/when to implement it in this challenge. I haven't had the chance to play the pack myself yet, but from what I've seen it's overall a very prehistoric-friendly world (perhaps the ruins are from an ancient civilization?). However, a lot of the tools and objects your Sims need for adventuring in this area are modernized and wouldn't fit until the Old West at the earliest. I like the idea of allowing Prehistoric Sims to go adventuring, but would want to restrict the adventure items to probably just the machete and maybe the pneuma flower. I'm afraid this might make progressing in the jungle extremely difficult, not to mention there's not items available for your Sims to gain all of the skills that will help them on their adventure. In addition, the ability to turn your Sims into skeletons that don't require several needs would likely need to be somewhat restricted to keep the challenge balanced--but maybe it's so hard to find all the pieces to the object that turns Sims into skeletons that it's fair to let players use it as often as they want.

I haven't gotten this pack yet, so I haven't had the chance to test everything out myself. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how I should update the challenge for Jungle Adventures, feel free to post them here! I would love some insight from you guys. :)
  • MissCashmereMissCashmere Posts: 101 Member
    This challenge is amazing and incredible fun to play. I wonder if there are any plans on expanding it?
    8 Generations are so little :p
    We stopped checking for monsters under the bed when we realized they were inside of us.
    edited March 2018
    This challenge is amazing and incredible fun to play. I wonder if there are any plans on expanding it?
    8 Generations are so little :p

Cloudseeker often said he would add a futuristic era if we ever got a pack that added a lot of space-y stuff. I've thought a few times that a 70's era could be fun, but I'm not sure that there would be enough difference between the 70's and modern day that it would be worth it. ;)

Edit: BTW, nice signature gif/quote. :)
  • kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    I'm not sure if there is enough content to support the division in terms of the challenge. The 70's and early 80's are right at the cusp of the computer age. You might have to combine the 60's and the 70's because quite a lot changed in the 60's. It's the beginning of the Civil Rights movement, the invention of the Pill, women's liberation, the space race, television is a lot more pervasive...
    It's sometimes amazing to step back and realize just how far that technology has advanced in just two generations. I remember playing records with only a dozen songs on a disc the size of a dinner plate, now I can hold 1000 songs in a device smaller than my palm...
    edited March 2018
    @kethrydrake Yeah that was pretty much my understanding as well--not enough of a difference between the modern age, and if you go back much farther there won't be many differences from the 20's era. Another option that was tossed around was slapping a Victorian era between the Middle Ages and Old West (if memory serves). The problem is, I'm not a history buff by any stretch of the term so I would need the help of you guys if I was going to add a historically accurate era ;)

Edit: A futuristic era I'm not concerned about my abilities to create; I've been watching/reading sci-fi since I was a kid.
  • kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    The Victorian Age begins when Queen Victoria ascended the throne in the 1830's (I think it was then). I think it would be too close the the Old West. I'm not sure there there is enough content in the game to divide the time between the Middle Ages and the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.
    Middle Ages: 5th-15th century
    Renaissance: 15th-17th century
    Age of Enlightenment: 17th-early 19th
    Industrial Revolution: mid 18th-mid 19th
    Victorian Age: 1837-1901 British Empire
    Old West: 1850-1900 western United States
    edited March 2018
    Okay, I've finally decided on the updates for Jungle Adventures (and My First Pet Stuff) for this challenge! Change log is as follows:

Change Log (3/14/18)

Update for Jungle Adventures and My First Pet Stuff!
    • My first pet stuff animal cages aren’t allowed until Modern Day.
      - Hamsters with rocket ships? Modern day, moving on.
    • You aren’t allowed to visit or adventure in Selvadorada until the Old West.
      - I liked the idea of allowing adventuring throughout the entire challenge, but the respective adventuring objects and relics/treasures would just be out of place or unbalanced in earlier eras.
      - This is noted both in the Old West Era restrictions as well as the challenge-wide rules section.
    • Archaeology Tables aren’t allowed until the Old West.
      - This pack comes with some great build objects for Early Civilization, though, so feel free to use all other build/buy objects as they’re unlocked!
    • Both Jungle Adventure aspirations (Archaeology Scholar and Jungle Adventurer) are allowed in the Old West and onward.
      - Whoops. Almost forgot about those. (Edit)

That's all, as always feel free to post here with any questions or suggestions! Happy Simming :)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Snowie I happen to be a history buff and if there was a Victorian era that would be the best place to allow sims to travel to Selvadorada (but if you ask me Old West happens during at least Queen Victoria's time not after). I only think this because in the 19th and 20th century (ie 1800s and 1900s) there a fad of rich folks wanting mummies and in some cases people raid tombs as well. For the Old West the Yukon Gold Rush happened in 1896-99 (she died 2 years later in 1901). B.C Gold rushs happened 1858-63
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee If you were to add a Victorian Era, what kind of goals/restrictions would you suggest? Also, I'm assuming the build style for middle ages would be castles, while a Victorian Era would be manors and old Victorian townhouses, correct? Is there another big architectural movement that would fit with a Victorian time era from a different part of the world to give Simmers some variety? (Forgive me, I'm a builder at heart)

I agree the Old West seems a bit late for the start of Archaeology, but Middle Ages would be too early for a lot of immersion and balance reasons. Those Selvadoradian relics and treasures are worth ridiculous amounts of money, for starters, and I wouldn't want to restrict the adventure items because that would make adventuring too difficult.

In general, I'm starting to like the idea of adding an era in the middle somewhere as well as a futuristic era, maybe requiring GTW but I might be able to figure a way around it without GTW dependency. Any and all recommendations and ideas on such additions would be extremely helpful!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Snowie wrote: »
    @MadameLee If you were to add a Victorian Era, what kind of goals/restrictions would you suggest? Also, I'm assuming the build style for middle ages would be castles, while a Victorian Era would be manors and old Victorian townhouses, correct? Is there another big architectural movement that would fit with a Victorian time era from a different part of the world to give Simmers some variety? (Forgive me, I'm a builder at heart)

I agree the Old West seems a bit late for the start of Archaeology, but Middle Ages would be too early for a lot of immersion and balance reasons. Those Selvadoradian relics and treasures are worth ridiculous amounts of money, for starters, and I wouldn't want to restrict the adventure items because that would make adventuring too difficult.

In general, I'm starting to like the idea of adding an era in the middle somewhere as well as a futuristic era, maybe requiring GTW but I might be able to figure a way around it without GTW dependency. Any and all recommendations and ideas on such additions would be extremely helpful!

I might have to think about goals/restrictions for awhile after my appointment/supper today I will take another look at the history challenge .
    6adMCGP.gif
  • summer_berrysummer_berry Posts: 105 Member
    @Snowie Hi, I'm so excited to start this challenge! Although I've read the posts in the forum, I'm still a little confused on when the next generations start. I understand the Ancestors being Gen 0, but when it says the next generation begins when the child is born instead of when they become a YA what does that actually mean? Does that mean when my Gen 1 has a baby, I need to change everything to the next era even though the heir is a baby? I'm just confused on when to actually change all of the buildings and when to start implementing the next generation's rules.
    "We make our own future." - Dean Winchester, Supernatural
    @Snowie Hi, I'm so excited to start this challenge! Although I've read the posts in the forum, I'm still a little confused on when the next generations start. I understand the Ancestors being Gen 0, but when it says the next generation begins when the child is born instead of when they become a YA what does that actually mean? Does that mean when my Gen 1 has a baby, I need to change everything to the next era even though the heir is a baby? I'm just confused on when to actually change all of the buildings and when to start implementing the next generation's rules.

Hi! Welcome to the challenge. :)

Let's ignore the Prehistoric Era for now. Each new Era begins with a new generation--once the first baby of a new generation is born, a new Era begins. You then have until that baby (or siblings/cousins of that baby) grows into a young adult and has a baby of their own to live in the Era and complete the goals. This often means you will be completing goals mostly with the parents of the generation. The Prehistoric Era is a bit more complicated since your starting Sims act as the parents to the Prehistoric Generation.

Take my Let's Play for example; My Ancestors, Angel and Jeremy, are the parents of the first generation, Lily and Luke. Lily being first born and my chosen heir, this Prehistoric family has until Lily has her first baby to complete the goals of the Prehistoric Era. I was done with the goals long before Lily was a Young Adult, so I had her get pregnant immediately. She gave birth to Rose, who started the Early Civilization Era. The moment Rose was born, I moved into the next Era--whether I was ready or not. The lot got bulldozed and rebuilt, the family got a new Early Civilization makeover, and I started working on the new goals for Early Civilization. I'll have until Rose has her first child to complete the goals of Early Civilization, and then the Middle Ages will start.

Basically, think of the "heir" as someone who grows up in one Era, then lives and works in the next Era once they've had their first child. Sorry if I over-explained a little, I have a bad habit of typing far more than necessary. I hope that clears it up for you, though! If you have any more questions or suggestions feel free to post them here. Enjoy the challenge!
  • summer_berrysummer_berry Posts: 105 Member
    @Snowie This cleared up all of my confusion, thank you so much! You explained it perfectly haha. :) I'm so excited to get started!!
    "We make our own future." - Dean Winchester, Supernatural
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi All, I have just started this challenge and am thoroughly enjoying it!! I even restarted once i got the hang of it, but .... I had been manually adding everything for the daily earnings etc, until i figured out how to use the scoresheets and have just realised that I may have failed the challenge already, as my heir won't age up with the weeks that are there. My question is @Snowie is this why you should try for baby on the third day? to enable the kid to age up in time? Does the era end at the end of these weeks on the scorecard? I realise he/she has to have a baby first, does this all need to be done in this time frame?
    Post edited by Dglbr1969 on
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
    Sorry to be a nuisance but I made and edit to include @Snowie 's name in my last post, and I'm not sure that actually works for the notifications, so I try again just in case :wink:
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
    @Dglbr1969 Hi! Welcome to the challenge. Sorry for not replying right away, I've been out of town the past couple days and just got home. The weeks allotted on the Prehistoric Era scoresheet have nothing to do with how long you have to complete the era--they're just (hopefully) enough slots for you to complete that particular goal. You can always copy/paste sections of the scorecard to give yourself more days if you've run out of space. I added the rule about trying for a baby on the third day of the challenge so that players couldn't as easily "force" their way into the second part of the Prehistoric Era by getting their Sims pregnant immediately. Pregnant Sims in the Prehistoric Era are also difficult to take care of, so those first couple days give you some time to start gathering food and getting some skills up. The Prehistoric Era will move on when your founding couple's first grandchild is born into the household, regardless of how much time has passed or how many goals you have completed. Hope that helps! Enjoy the challenge. :)

P.S. You weren't being a nuisance at all! I'm happy to answer questions and take suggestions; that's what this thread is here for. ;)
    Oh Phew!!! Thank You @Snowie I am having so much fun, it really has been testing me I just love it. Thanks for revamping this great challenge, I just happened to come across it by accident and needed something else to get my teeth stuck into, and even if @Cloudseeker isn't around a lot these days, I hope he/she knows what a brilliant job you have both done.

Thanks again :smiley:
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • megnnvmegnnv Posts: 1 New Member
    Are people in the prehistoric era aloud to have beds? cause so far they cant sleep unless they pass out cause i dont want to break any rules
    megnnv wrote: »
    Are people in the prehistoric era aloud to have beds? cause so far they cant sleep unless they pass out cause i dont want to break any rules

In the first part of the Prehistoric Era, your Ancestors are allowed to use tents. This and the campfires are mainly why Outdoor Retreat is required for the challenge. If you don't have Outdoor Retreat, you can use beds, fridges, and grills throughout the era. There is some CC linked in the "Expansion/Game Packs/Stuff Packs" section of the rules for those objects to make them more Prehistoric-looking.

Hope that helps! Enjoy the challenge :)
    Hi @Snowie, sorry to be a bother, but I am just wondering, when we enter a new era, do we have to bulldoze the lot? or are we able to use some of the things that we accumulated like plants etc during the previous? I am just entering the early civilization and am so excited, just didnt see anywhere where this is stated.
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »
    Hi @Snowie, sorry to be a bother, but I am just wondering, when we enter a new era, do we have to bulldoze the lot? or are we able to use some of the things that we accumulated like plants etc during the previous? I am just entering the early civilization and am so excited, just didnt see anywhere where this is stated.

I see no reason why you would have to bulldoze the lot, it's usually just easier to build on a clean slate ;) But you're more than welcome to just delete as needed... or bulldoze then put the plants back (that might be faster).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top