Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• UniSimsUniSims Posts: 1,246 Member
    Susie101 wrote: »
    > @ewright9 said:
    > I'm not sure if anyone has already started a thread for it but I just posted a new thread in the bugs section about the pools not giving hygiene.

It's very frustrating. I just returned the Sims today after several months of inactivity and started a History Challenge, too...I didn't think low Hygiene would be a problem, but Sims will literally STOP whatever they are doing (even sleeping to wake up) and complain about the terrible smell. Is the pool the only way for prehistoric Sims to solve their hygiene problems?

You can use a sink. (if necessary)
    laughing-gifs-old-timey.gif

Everything is more colourful in black and white
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @ewright9 That would be awesome if you could explore Get Together for me, as I probably won't be able to afford it until next month at the earliest. What I need to know about it is any items with new gameplay mechanics, or time-appropriate versions of items that realistically shouldn't normally be in an era (such as the bush-toilets), new careers, new aspirations, and any other things you think might be relevant to the challenge :)

@Susie101 as @UniSims correctly noted, you are allowed to use a sink in the Prehistoric Era if and only if your Sims aren't getting hygiene from pools.
    34in38k.png
  • Lenei14Lenei14 Posts: 1,272 Member
    If it helps, I just started this challenge a week ago and have been using this mod for the hygiene issue: http://modthesims.info/d/555571since they were not gaining it naturally and it seems to be working on my end.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    Lenei14 wrote: »
    If it helps, I just started this challenge a week ago and have been using this mod for the hygiene issue: http://modthesims.info/d/555571since they were not gaining it naturally and it seems to be working on my end.

the link's not working
    6adMCGP.gif
    @Cloudseeker so when do we move from the the Early Civilization until the Middle ages (?) you didn't mention that in you're instructions (as opposed to that the Pre-historical society moves from it to Early Civilization when we get a grandchild
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    @MadameLee Other than the prehistoric era, all eras progress like this: A new era starts when the child who started the first era (ie the Early Civilization) has a child. So basically each era lasts as long as one Sim's pre-adulthood lifetime. When your prehistoric Sims have a grandchild, that grandchild starts the Early Civilzation era. Then when that little baby grows up and has a kid, the Middle Ages start. There's also a little diagram on the OP :)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    to me it would make (more) sense for it to be a grand child/great-grandchild to be the one with the new 'age' to bring in (if that makes sense)?
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee I was considering having a new Era every second generation when I was designing the challenge, but I figured that would make the challenge way too long to be enjoyable. I still needed the Prehistoric Era to not end as soon as the Ancestors had a child, so that's why I ended up choosing to have each Era end as soon as the next generation is born, with the exception of the Prehistoric Era.
    34in38k.png
    edited December 2015
    Just remove the "since" http://modthesims.info/d/555571 is the link. -.-'

Anyway, I'm doing it three gens an era I think cause I don't mind epic mode and I want to feel like there's more time across. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with doing this really if you're committed to it. I'm going into my final gen of the prehistoric era and am kinda gonna be sad to be done buuut I'm not gonna be sick of all the fires.

edit: I may bump up the money requirements for "in one era" thing as a result of this. I'm not very good at making money so far but in the interest of fairness it may be easier down the line for me to earn the 150k in one era than others if mine are longer. Maybe I'll double that.
    Post edited by Lenei14 on
    @Lenei14 Thank you for the mod link, I added it to the main post.
    And yes, if you modify the challenge so that each Era lasts longer, you most definitely should increase a lot of the goals, except ones that deal with single Sims or single objects, so that the challenge doesn't get too easy and boring :)
    34in38k.png
    edited December 2015
    Yeah I'll definitely let you know what I increase them to so you guys can give me some input in case I make it too strict or too light. Since I'm going to probably start the next era at the start of the week I'll look over the rules today and see how I should adjust, I know there's music tips involved. I tend to like really involving challenges and I'm super into this one. It's been great, so thanks for putting it together. I've read through the thread now but I still will need to look at everyone's wp/tumblr/threads individually. I've caught some of the tumblr folks already and I'll probably queue it up on my tumblr after what I have promised to post for the new year is up (I scheduled a bachelorette challenge thing almost two months ago, it's gonna be a tad grueling going back to ts3 after playing this hah).

edit: I guess suck.. is a bad word? hahaha.
  • budgie2budgiebudgie2budgie Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi again! Still having tons of fun with the challenge and I'm entering The Middle Age soon and I was wondering over 2 things; what kind of shops are we allowed to have more than book stands? (if there are any more options) and can sims be herbalists? (witches ;) and if so, can they sell their stuff?
    @budgie2budgie No new shop options are added in the Middle Ages, so Sims may still only sell books in a shop. However, I had forgotten that the potions crafted with the Herbalism skill could be sold, and so I would say that they are also allowed to be sold in a shop. I will add this to the rules in the next update.
    34in38k.png
  • SomaSinSomaSin Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2016
    @Cloudseeker

I am creating a lot of custom content for this challenge! Since it truly inspired me. I thought I would drop a link to my 'HistoryChallenge CC' tag on my tumblr. For those of you looking for items, objects, and clothing to fit this challenge!

I am also taking requests via tumblr for items for this challenge!

I am also playing and posting gameplay on Tumblr.
    Website | Tumblr | Origin ID: SrslySims
    @SomaSin Nice, I will add the link as a suggestion in the main post.
    34in38k.png
  • johnny49johnny49 Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2016
    I want to add an era between the prehistoric and the early civilization that would be the peasant? era. I just feel like the jump between prehistoric and early civilization is enormous.

That would mean that there would be no farming in the prehistoric era (they haven't figured it out yet). Farming would be the focus of the peasant era.

Do you have any suggestions how to adjust the money and collectibles goals? Thanks.

Do you know of any mods that would stop all the sims wandering my neighborhood? It is annoying and breaks the immersion. I wish we could edit the neighborhood.
    Post edited by johnny49 on
  • BloodRedSisterBloodRedSister Posts: 186 Member

Hey @johnny49 have you looked at this mod http://modthesims.info/d/553536 It may or may not work with the latest patch but could be worth a try

This looks such a cool challenge and I'm so so tempted

Big Thank you @Budgie2Budgie and @SomaSin SrslySims I use some of your CC in the current Time Lord Challenge Happy Simmings

• leiamoonleiamoon Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi! I started this challenge yesterday and I will post some pictures on my tumblr page :smile: I hope I won't forget any rules >.<
    takareiame.tumblr.com/tagged/the-sims-4-history-challenge
    @johnny49 My reasoning for having no Era inbetween Prehistoric and Early Civilization was that there was not really a distinct and unique period of time inbetween the two in the real world history, they were all too similar to either the Prehistoric or Early Civilization time periods.

That said, if you really want a transitional Era in there, by all means, go right ahead. It's not like I can stop you :) I don't think you need to adjust any of the challenge-wide goals, though. Since the money goal just requires you to earn x simoleons in a single Era, it doesn't matter how many Eras you have, only how long they go on for, and the collectibles goal shouldn't be much impacted, since many of the collections cannot even be accessed until later Eras, when you have unlocked the more advanced objects.

@BloodRedSister Do it, you know you want to :)

@leiamoon Welcome, I hope you will enjoy the challenge! Would you like me to add a link to your Tumblr in the main post?
    34in38k.png
  • leiamoonleiamoon Posts: 10 New Member
    @Cloudseeker thanks, I would like that! :smile:
    Hey @johnny49 have you looked at this mod http://modthesims.info/d/553536 It may or may not work with the latest patch but could be worth a try

This looks such a cool challenge and I'm so so tempted

@BloodRedSister

Thank you ! That is the perfect mod. It might help with all the sims generated too. I can't wait to get started on the real challenge. I set up a bunch of lots and play tested yesterday. You should try it it's fun!
    edited January 2016
    @johnny49 My reasoning for having no Era inbetween Prehistoric and Early Civilization was that there was not really a distinct and unique period of time inbetween the two in the real world history, they were all too similar to either the Prehistoric or Early Civilization time periods.

That said, if you really want a transitional Era in there, by all means, go right ahead. It's not like I can stop you :) I don't think you need to adjust any of the challenge-wide goals, though. Since the money goal just requires you to earn x simoleons in a single Era, it doesn't matter how many Eras you have, only how long they go on for, and the collectibles goal shouldn't be much impacted, since many of the collections cannot even be accessed until later Eras, when you have unlocked the more advanced objects.

@BloodRedSister Do it, you know you want to :)

@leiamoon Welcome, I hope you will enjoy the challenge! Would you like me to add a link to your Tumblr in the main post?

@Cloudseeker

I think that there was a distinct period between the two. The prehistoric equates to the hunter gather period where farming was not known. Farming came after during the Neolithic era when cultivating crops was practiced. Also, I do really, really want a transitional era. I want a little house with a thatch roof and dirt floor surrounded by farm land. Do you think that I should limit my income to 50,000 between the 2 eras do I don't start the early civilization with too much?

I read somewhere that there is a scorecard, where would I find that?

Thanks for your help!
    @johnny49 Ah, yes. What I meant was that that Era was too similar to Prehistoric for me to officially include it in the challenge, it's like Prehistoric 1.5, the only major difference being the farming and slightly more advanced houses.

I'm not sure if you need to limit your income. If you are not allowing yourself to do any farming until the second Era, you shouldn't exactly be rolling in cash, since selling plants seem to have been the big money-makers for people doing this challenge thus far. If you feel like things are going too easy, you can always just limit yourself on-the-fly :)

The scorecard can be found under the "Challenge-Wide Goals" section of the main post.

I must say, you have given me an idea though. I shall think about it some more, and if I like it and it seems to work, it could mean a major rework of the Prehistoric Era into two different Eras, incorporating your suggestions for farming and simple huts, so stay tuned :)
    34in38k.png
    @Cloudseeker
    That would be awesome! Either way, I just really want my imaginary Neolithic farmhouse. MTS has some thatched food and floors that would fit just right!
    UPDATED FOR GET TOGETHER
    • Trash Cans are now explicitly allowed for the Prehistoric Era
    • Sinks are now allowed for the Prehistoric Era, but only if pools don't increase hygiene
    • Updated the Getting Started portion to encourage the placement of a Pool Venue rather than a Generic community lot
    • Toilets were moved from Prehistoric to Early Civilization, in favor of the bushes from Get Together
    • Potions may now be sold in personal stores, starting from the Middle Ages
    • Clubs are now allowed right from the beginning
    • Bushes, Bonfires, Diving Platforms and the Leader of the Pack aspiration are now allowed for the Prehistoric Era
    • Dance Floors are now allowed for the Middle Ages
    • Closets are now allowed for the Old West
    • Dartboards, Foosball Tables, Espresso Bars and Espresso Machines are now allowed for the Roaring 20s

The scoresheet has been updated accordingly.
    34in38k.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top