Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to build second floor

I have been playing this game just fine...until now. The other day I was going to build a new home for one of my families only to find that I was unable to build a second story. I can place the stairs just fine, but I can't extend beyond a single tile attached to the stairs. I don't know what's wrong and It is hampering my creativity. Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows how to fix it?

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Try going up another level. The roof might be in the way.

The other possibility is the ground you built the first floor on may not be exactly flat. You know this has happened if the grid at the top of the walls does not cover the entire area inside them when you go up to the next level. The only sure way I know to prevent that happening is to. 1. Flatten lot before starting to build then, 2. lay a free wooden floor down where you are going to build your house. Then build your house and remove the bits of that wooden floor that you no longer want.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I flatten the lot before I start building and I got a Mod from MTS that disabled the auto-roofing because that being on always caused issues like yours with my builds if I forgot to turn it off before I started building.That auto roof disabler Mod is very helpful since the auto roof always ruins builds with an ugly roof when you want to add another floor.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Loveless-ChocoboLoveless-Chocobo Posts: 55 New Member
    I have tried flattening the lot and removing roofs and even starting on a blank lot where a roof never existed, but nothing really worked. I'll try the wooden floor bit and see if that helps though. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I have tried flattening the lot and removing roofs and even starting on a blank lot where a roof never existed, but nothing really worked. I'll try the wooden floor bit and see if that helps though. :)

The wooden floor is the only way I can do it some times. The problem is caused by the walls warping the ground when you place them. The wooden floor keeps them flat. But you have to lay the floor in one go or it may be slightly uneven in the joins. I've even gone as far as to cover the whole lot with wooden floor tiles until I have my building well on the way.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    How weird. Sorry this is happening to you.

Is the grid gone too, or is it just that nothing happens when you try to place floor tiles? Could you post a picture for us?
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    FarmKittyCatFarmKittyCat Posts: 29 New Member
    Hi! I know this is quite old discussion etc, but I can not make my own so I'll just post my question here and hope that someone will answer!
    My question is about floor level above the maximum 5 floors. I looked in a lot of other places where it was stated that it can not be done, but in one place I found a tutorial which is claimed to make up to 14floors with no cheats.
    The link:
    www. thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=97511
    (Note:there is an unnecessary space in the link, cause thats the only way I could post it)

I am wondering if someone has tried it, and knows if this works and if all floors can be accesed. I would also appreciate it if someone could help me understand the tutorial, as I can not see the pictures for some reason, so I don't really understand what and how is being done there.
    Thanks in advance! :smile:
  • Options
    I've never tried it.

The tutorial pictures have been removed (EA Does that) and it will be difficult to follow the instructions.

It is also an old tutorial from 2009 and things changed with various patches. For example the instructions start out telling you to make a basement.

Basements in 2009 are not the basements we have now that use the basement tool to dig down. It is done using the terrain flattening tools and terrain is lowered that way and the walls put around the basement. You use stairs to get the level right.

So even if you could follow the instructions in that old tutorial I don't know if it is still possible to do this after all the various patches.

If you go to Creative Corner you will find a lot of tutorials. I have done a few of Zoo University building tutorials and found them very useful.

If you ask your question over there you may get an answer from someone who has done it and knows how to build a lot of extra floors.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/creative-corner
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top