Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims won't finish cooking after latest patch

I recently installed the latest patch. Now in my current household, when a sim cooks a meal, he or she is charged for the meal, takes out the food, cooks, but doesn't complete the action. The food stays on the stove in unfinished form, and the sims will do the "I can't do that" motion and lose the action if I click on the food and choose "resume" cooking. I tried repairing the game in Origin, but it didn't work. Suggestions?? Ideas??

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hello.
    Clearing the localthumbcache.package that is in your Documents-Electronic Arts-Sims 4 folder may help.

Edit : Just updating this post with added things to do if simmers are having issues.

Try selling the stove and buying another one and see if that helps.

Make sure that the stove is empty.

Sell the microwave because they have caused issues.

Make sure that there is enough counter space in the room.

Remove any cc/mods that you have in the game and see if that helps.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.
    Post edited by rosemow on
  • bluskys789123bluskys789123 Posts: 147 Member
    Will doing so have any other impact on my game? I've just never done this before, so I don't know anything about it.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Will doing so have any other impact on my game? I've just never done this before, so I don't know anything about it.

It could have other positive effects on your game by clearing out stuck, glitchy things. Loading Sim avatars will take a little longer the first time, but otherwise your game will stay intact.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Thanks to both of you for the info! One question...by "clearing" the package file, does this mean simply deleting it or something else? Again, I've never done this, so thanks in advance.
  • hannahlizjhannahlizj Posts: 3 New Member
    edited April 2015
    Do I need to delete it? I'm having problems with this as well and I don't want to delete anything that is necessary to my game.
    I am hoping to try this suggestion, but I would love to know whether "clearing" the package file means simply deleting it or something else. I'm sorry if it seems like a silly question, but I've never done this before.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Yes, it means delete the file named localthumbcache.package. It's gameplay cache (a kind of temporary memory), not a save; your gameplay will not be lost.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Thank you very much for the info!
  • RiverNixRiverNix Posts: 73 Member
    Repairing the game in Origin normally "fixes" this bug for me in the short term.
    Yeah, I did try repairing it, but it didn't help this time. It did work on a separate occasion from an earlier patch when I had the same problem.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    I deleted the dishwasher as the problem started when I put it in my household. Now the sims are finishing cooking.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    I deleted the dishwasher as the problem started when I put it in my household. Now the sims are finishing cooking.

Hello. It was good that you were able to fix your issue by selling the dishwasher. It is good that your sims are finishing cooking again. :)
  • addictedtothewindaddictedtothewind Posts: 1 New Member
    Oh boy, I just started getting this glitch. Gonna try repairing the game first. Fingers crossed.
  • ThePuffleGamingThePuffleGaming Posts: 1 New Member
    I Dont know about you, but buying a Counter without a tap on it helped me. It was that they couldnt put it down cos there wasnt a counter, so BUY A COUNTER.
    I Dont know about you, but buying a Counter without a tap on it helped me. It was that they couldnt put it down cos there wasnt a counter, so BUY A COUNTER.

Hello :)
    Welcome to the forums!
    It was good that adding counter space helped with the issue in your game.
  • DandyDandy Posts: 1 New Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello.
    Clearing the localthumbcache.package that is in your Documents-Electronic Arts-Sims 4 folder may help.

Edit : Just updating this post with added things to do if simmers are having issues.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.

I just recently ran into this bug. I tried all your suggestions, but unfortunately none of them worked for me. Do you have any other possible solutions?
    edited March 2017
    Dandy wrote: »
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello.

I just recently ran into this bug. I tried all your suggestions, but unfortunately none of them worked for me. Do you have any other possible solutions?

Hello @Dandy
    Make sure that there are no overhanging items in the kitchen causing issues,

If there are items placed by using the moo cheats move them and see if that helps.

Move the kitchen furnishings around and then test the issue.

Try having your sims travel to another lot and back, then test to see if the issue remains.

Try having your sims move to another lot. Test to see if they can cook in that lot. Then have them move back to the original home and see if the issue remains.

• RebeccaJeanine71RebeccaJeanine71 Posts: 31 Member
    What I don't understand is if SO many are having the same issue with the cooking and if it's being caused by the microwave and or dish washer... why hasn't it been fixed? These Ganges are way too expensive for continuous glitches with no repair to the game... just saying!
    What I don't understand is if SO many are having the same issue with the cooking and if it's being caused by the microwave and or dish washer... why hasn't it been fixed? These Ganges are way too expensive for continuous glitches with no repair to the game... just saying!

Hello
    The original post was from 2015. The issue has just been happening at times to some simmers over this time. The post above yours was posted in March 2017. You may not have seen the date.
    AHHH Ok :) Thanx for pointing that out. I should have come back and re-commented, but with age lol I forget what I've done from one day to another online :P. I do have to report that I DID fix the problem with mine. I tried a variety of things you mentioned on here, so am not sure which one fixed it lol. Big weight taken off my mind as I was at a critical point in a 'sims inspired' chapter book I'm writing where one of my sim's pix needed to include food eating lol... I love Sims 4, but there are a lot of things we could do in sims 2 and 3 that I keep finding was left out of 4. ONE being how we could post our sims stories... I REALLY miss that one. In order to have my own blog, I'd have to pay for a domain so I just made a facebook group which finally has grown in the hundreds (I'm actually shocked) but sadly not many really give me feedback on the stories they've read. It would just be really cool to have that community connection here again :(
    again, thank you for letting me know... and I"m glad I DO Have a way to research on here when I do have issues :)
    AHHH Ok :) Thanx for pointing that out. I should have come back and re-commented, but with age lol I forget what I've done from one day to another online :P. I do have to report that I DID fix the problem with mine. I tried a variety of things you mentioned on here, so am not sure which one fixed it lol. Big weight taken off my mind as I was at a critical point in a 'sims inspired' chapter book I'm writing where one of my sim's pix needed to include food eating lol... I love Sims 4, but there are a lot of things we could do in sims 2 and 3 that I keep finding was left out of 4. ONE being how we could post our sims stories... I REALLY miss that one. In order to have my own blog, I'd have to pay for a domain so I just made a facebook group which finally has grown in the hundreds (I'm actually shocked) but sadly not many really give me feedback on the stories they've read. It would just be really cool to have that community connection here again :(
    again, thank you for letting me know... and I"m glad I DO Have a way to research on here when I do have issues :)

Hello @RebeccaJeanine71 :)
    It is good that your issue has been fixed :)
    You can post your sims stories on a thread in the Challenges, Stories and Legacies section of the forums. The link to that section of the forums is
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-stories-and-legacies
    AWWW thank you!!! I don't actually have to participate in the challenges to post... do I?? :D
    AWWW thank you!!! I don't actually have to participate in the challenges to post... do I?? :D

You don’t need to participate in any of the challenges :) You can just start a new thread and post your sims stories there.