Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how do I keep customers out of my personal area?

surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
So I didn't think I would get into the retail career (unpopular opinion) but I built a store and I'm loving it!! I basically sell all collectables and baked goods on weekends, and in the back of the store I put a kitchen, bathroom, dining room table, etc...for my family and employees, but customers are constantly FOLLOWING my Sims back there... I know there's no locked doors and that's a problem but has anyone found a good way to keep costumers out? I have the door to get to this personal space out back but customers still follow me there.
No mods please... If there even is one..
Post edited by surraaaaaa on

Comments

• Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I haven't found a way ... I wish they would add lockable doors, though.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I am able to keep customers out of personal space by the design of the buildings. I built my own. In one furniture store I have I put that up front (like separate rooms of complete sets of rooms) but open floor plan. Then closer to the back I put a small table and chairs and the fridge that lets Sims buy food in case they get hungry. Next to that small area are bathrooms for public use. Then I have my Sim's private living space to the west side of the building in the back. They don't follow my Sim anywhere. In the bakery I built living space above it and stairs outside to the side of the building farther away from where they enter the lots. They don't go there, either. And in a clothing store the living space is farther away from what clothes they are supposed to buy. They would have to cross a long floor plan, so they don't go there either. The employee may go to the private areas but that is o.k with me so they can eat or rest or whatever, and then get back to work.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Maybe my stores just not big enough then.. And I really don't want to have to remodel because I just love the store the way it is...
    They should have added employees only signs or no trespassing or something that could be placed outside a door so customers just know not to go there..
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    Maybe my stores just not big enough then.. And I really don't want to have to remodel because I just love the store the way it is...
    They should have added employees only signs or no trespassing or something that could be placed outside a door so customers just know not to go there..

Yeah, but I always build my own stuff, that's just the way I am.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sirjohn4420Sirjohn4420 Posts: 421 Member
    on modthesims they have lockable doors now just letting you know that is might help out.
    2v9ekhx.gif
  • Options
    I'm computer challenged, I have no idea how to download mods and the folders and zipped stuff, plus I play on my boyfriends laptop, god forbid I accidently download something bad omg... I would just like these things modders make to be in the game, like uhhh.... Locked doors perhaps!?!
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    I have the new door lock mod but it does not work on my retail lot. :(
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    sassygray5 wrote: »
    I have the new door lock mod but it does not work on my retail lot. :(

Grab the just-updated version :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DonsvlinderDonsvlinder Posts: 312 Member
    Don’t place items in the kitchen customers can use. But you will need a fridge in the kitchen so the best solutions is to place another fridge or 2 just outside of the kitchen area next to the kitchen entrance. Create a 2 door entrance to the kitchen so when a lost customers do walks in you will always have the option to take the other door.

from: http://sims-online.com/running-bakery-sims-4-get-to-work/
    signature-the-sims-4-3.jpg
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Pro tip directly from the gurus "Just remove the door and put it back when your sims need to go in and out".

Head desk

Taps foot impatiently waiting for lockable doors.

Maybe try to door lock mod at MTS. I don't know if it works on retail lots though.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Pro tip directly from the gurus "Just remove the door and put it back when your sims need to go in and out".

Head desk

Taps foot impatiently waiting for lockable doors.

Maybe try to door lock mod at MTS. I don't know if it works on retail lots though.
    As of today's update, it not only works on retail lots but has retail-specific settings.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I really don't want mods.... I'd be happy with just a "employees only" sign >.<
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    I think most likely Maxis will patch in door locks soon. I just opened a bakery that also sells decorated Easter eggs and a few paintings. The cupcake machine is on the back patio, and there's a separate enclosed kitchen area on one side with oven and fridge, with a couch and book nook for my own Sims to use. The rest of the store to the front is all display cases for baked goods with two tables and chairs where customers sit, chat, and eat free samples.

I had my Sim bake everything the night before and put them for sale in the refrigerated display cases. Next morning she opened the store at 9:00am. Since she didn't have to bake, she was able to spend all her time out front chatting with customers. Her boyfriend was also there to help ring up sales. As long as at least one of my Sims was out front helping customers, no one even entered the kitchen area. They all stayed out front. Darn if her boyfriend didn't get abducted though, when they got home that night, so now he's expecting! Oh well...she'll have to hire someone else to help out at the bakery now. :p
  • Options
    Your store sounds awesome! Mines fairly similar, but customers follow my Sims to the back! If no one goes back there, customers won't, but if any of my household Sims go in the back for food or a shower, 4 customers will immediately follow, and then I just kick them out of my store as punishment.
  • Options
    PamhamletPamhamlet Posts: 5,556 Member
    Trying putting a shower into one of the regular public restroom areas (closed off by its own door) instead of your Sim's back room, so customers won't want to follow your Sim in there. Have you tried putting free baked samples out on the tables? That seems to keep the customers occupied in my shop. They should be busy either browsing or chatting with each other. Be sure that when your Sim goes to the back room, that you cancel any chat bubbles in the queue they have going with others. And be sure at least one Sim stays out front to greet and talk to customers. Hope that will help! :)
  • Options
    Okay, I'll try those!! I don't have free samples out either.. I'll start doing that at least, maybe putting a vending machine up front too might help a little even...
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    If you get brave enough to install the mod, here is a video review that explains how to install it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6quAKMdDf7U

Please don't be afraid of downloading anything bad; you have nothing to worry about as long as you download the mod from the official site: http://modthesims.info/d/552565
  • Options
    SimthefatcatSimthefatcat Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, guys, I think you can cook in one room and hire the salesclerk in another room. Meanwhile, put dishes in salesclerk's room so that customers will bother the sales clerk instead of you.