Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting a lot of fun out of Get To Work, but won't it be short lived?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Get to Work is a lot like a University and World Adventures type of pack.. Things I probably won't be doing every single generation for each sim but it's refreshing for game play every now and then.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Baloshi2Baloshi2 Posts: 107 Member
    @Simasaurus09 - Could not agree more.
    giphy.gif

Origin ID: Baloshi2
  • Options
    xxLeilaaxxLeilaa Posts: 57 Member
    I think it really depends on your style of gaming. I have read on the forum that some people immedialty jump in all three careers and I guess it might become boring very quickly if you have mastered the careers in just a few days. I, however, take my time with getting to work. I am waiting for my two teen Sims to finish their aspirations and then I will finally get into the retail part of GTW. One of the children of these teens will become a doctor in time, as I have a wholr story thought out for him/her. But it might take me weeks to finally play the doctor career.

Therefore the game won't become boring very soon for me :)
  • Options
    nortonsapplenortonsapple Posts: 31 Member
    Once we get more lots and they fix a couple of things the retail aspect could have some potential replay value. Right now there just isn't enough space not to mention that the sims don't keep anything. *I liked it when they did and didn't have any issues running my game.

This being said I would only open shops with crafted goods, grown items or collectibles once I got more room. This would allow my other sims that either don't have time or iniative, lol to purchase them even though I have bring them there myself.
  • Options
    domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member
    I've never been as happy with an EP as I have with this one. I've been playing it non stop since I got it and I've barely scratched the surface! :D I do agree that the careers might get repetetive once you've done them once, however, I still think I will always chose one of the 3 over a non active one. A lot of task and activities can get repetetive; your sim is always going to need food, sleep and toilet, and gardening is always going to be gardening etc, but that does definitely not make it bad. I like watching and controlling my sim no matter what they're doing, that's what the game is all about for me. I'm definitely hoping we'll get some more active careers (many, many, many more) I'm enjoying them so much!

I'm loving the aliens too! Never really been a fan of the green men, but with the disguises I absolutely love them. Playing a single Dad with three boys at the moment! Soo much fun :smiley:

wedding%2Bhobo.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The main problem is that it gets super repetitive. Being a detective gets boring fast because it's just going to similar crime scenes and watching your sim analyze evidence, etc. We need EPs that bring value to everyday play, not just a narrow part of it.

I've also had the problem with the crime scene being the same each time! Every case I get takes me to the lounge in Oasis Springs. I hope deleting the stock residential lots doesn't affect where the crime scene is, or if it is just a bug.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Get to Work is a lot like a University and World Adventures type of pack.. Things I probably won't be doing every single generation for each sim but it's refreshing for game play every now and then.

That's actually a good way of looking at it. Interesting that all 3 were the first expansion for each of their respective games... I wonder if that's intentional?
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    Thats why I've not been diving straight into all the careers. My Legacy family had two children and two adults already in careers when GTW came out. I got it, but ive done barely anything with it, as the youngest child is the on I wanted to keep around while the older one moved out. The youngest is now 1 simday away from becoming an adult, and really, the careers dont suit her too much. Her eventual spouse will probably be the first sim to get into a career from GTW :)
    I figure, if I dont rush into all of them, they stay fun! I just treat them like part of the game, rather than their own thing. If I have a sim thatd be very suited for a doctor career in my mind, he'll be that! But, if I feel my sim is more of a business man.. he's going into the business career :)
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    I got it mainly for the option to build retail stores. I have played them with mixed results. I find its way better manning the store with your own Sims because hired employees take a lot of wages and barely help. I find it pretty fun because there are points to earn to unlock better shop upgrade rewards. I was never into gameplay a ton but for building this is a decent expansion.
  • Options
    AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    This is my major concern with this right now. As of right now, I am not at all board. Will I later? I don't know yet. @MsPrissy88 I would suffer through the first couple of levels of the doctor career (I know a player should never have to suffer through any part of a game, but its worth it to me) The goals eventually become less, "drink coffee and take temp" And more of "diagnose and treat" Specific goals still exist but there is now the option to ignore them because you can go about it anyway you want, and still progress.
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
    Origin ID: Mainmanvs100
  • Options
    CoriChanCoriChan Posts: 197 Member
    @mortia well if you don't complete your daily tasks you get less money at the end of the work day, and sometimes it says you did a horrible job at work >_> I believe performing the tasks and having a good work day gets you to the promotions.
  • Options
    hope1275hope1275 Posts: 264 Member
    Am I the only one who feels that the retail store option should have been part of the base game?

z8Bu8FZ.gif

• Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 955 Member
    I already realized this when I got it. I have no interest in playing the science career and the retail aspect isn't what I expected so I'm only interested in the detective and doctor career. I'm having a real good time playing the detective and figured by the time I beat that my sims daughter will be old enough to be the doctor and hopefully when I'm done that the next GP or EP will be coming out. With it being Easter break I will most likely be outside a lot so that's helpful. Any nice weather days I won't be at the PC so that's good, as long as it doesn't start raining for a month.
    Check out my latest Let's Play! James Turner's Every Life Stage challenge.
    thumbnail-ELC001.jpg
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 976 Member
    If you don't feel like following the sims to work, you have the option of letting them go alone like to any other job.
    I don't know about the shops as I have only visited shops with other sims. They don't pay at the counter.
  • Options
    hearmeoutxhearmeoutx Posts: 84 Member
    Obviously the new careers are only fun until you complete them once. Then I can personally see me playing them as just a normal job. I do think the retail portion of the game is very open and will only get better with the new objects that come in each future expansion pack. I think exploring the different retail stores can keep any simmer entertained for a while.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    hearmeoutx wrote: »
    Obviously the new careers are only fun until you complete them once. Then I can personally see me playing them as just a normal job. I do think the retail portion of the game is very open and will only get better with the new objects that come in each future expansion pack. I think exploring the different retail stores can keep any simmer entertained for a while.

I don't feel the same way. There were several Ambitions careers that I played over and over.....but you know.....no matter how many times I've played them I have never seen the game ask me to take "an angry poop" as a career requirement. Yes....that happened. I can show you a screenshot that someone posted where that was a task to fulfill. I've also seen quite a few posts about disappointment with the way the stores work.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member

I don't feel the same way. There were several Ambitions careers that I played over and over.....but you know.....no matter how many times I've played them I have never seen the game ask me to take "an angry poop" as a career requirement. Yes....that happened. I can show you a screenshot that someone posted where that was a task to fulfill. I've also seen quite a few posts about disappointment with the way the stores work.
    The tasks in the careers aren't requirements. You can ignore one and just do a different one. Or do something else entirely. Your Sim will earn less that day, but I figure my Sims don't have to max their performance and $$$ every day.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    BunnDaleBunnDale Posts: 165 Member
    I personally don't mind that I'll only play through the careers several times before it becomes repetitive. This EP finally added something to do in the game, which I am so thankful for. By the time I explore everything available in this EP the next one should be right around the corner, so that's A-OK with this simmer! :)
  • Options
    worldofloolooworldoflooloo Posts: 137 Member
    I hope they bring out more jobs as new things get added, like if pets get added you could be a vet, I would love to have my sim be a teacher, there are still so many "get to work" jobs that can be added and I hope they do add them, as I will become bored of these jobs quickly.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

The tasks in the careers aren't requirements. You can ignore one and just do a different one. Or do something else entirely. Your Sim will earn less that day, but I figure my Sims don't have to max their performance and $$$ every day.

If I have to do all the tasks every day or not isn't the point I was making. I was talking about taking an angry poop as a task to complete that day. There was also the fact that I could turn off opportunities in the last game.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,397 Member
    I know I'm enjoying this ep. Like someone else said, my sims all had careers when GTW was released so I made a sim just for the medical career. "We" are having a lot of fun...I'm just hoping the salary increases drastically or my sim will have to go to the ATM. *insert eye roll here*
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,360 Member
    xxLeilaa wrote: »
    I think it really depends on your style of gaming. I have read on the forum that some people immedialty jump in all three careers and I guess it might become boring very quickly if you have mastered the careers in just a few days. I, however, take my time with getting to work. I am waiting for my two teen Sims to finish their aspirations and then I will finally get into the retail part of GTW. One of the children of these teens will become a doctor in time, as I have a wholr story thought out for him/her. But it might take me weeks to finally play the doctor career.

Therefore the game won't become boring very soon for me :)

I agree. Since I basically only play one sim it's going to take me a while to get through all the careers. My sim is currently working on the doctor career and I'm debating whether to have her start a bakery on the side or just wait until she reaches Level 10. With all the stuff I still have to get through in the base game I'll be lucky to get it all done before the next expansion pack.