Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting a lot of fun out of Get To Work, but won't it be short lived?

I've had this EP for the past couple days, and since I'm on Easter break I've been pretty much playing it non stop. I feel though, that it's not something that will keep you entertained in the long run. To me, the three careers are more like mini games and once I've completed them one time I don't think I'd want to do them again. I haven't dabbled in the owning your own store part yet so I don't know if there is much to that yet. What do you think? Will it keep you entertained in the long run?
a89288ef-cb73-4b64-b739-a5fc56944e13.jpg

Bring back realistic babies and toddlers!
Check out my blog for my simming adventures!
http://www.irishsimmer.wordpress.com

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don't think the careers will offer long term game play, but the retail portion is pretty open. It offers a lot more creative play then the restrictive goal based careers.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I don't think this EP has any replay value.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah I think the linear active career goals will get boring fast for Simmers and they'll run out of things to do. The aliens and business and photography aspects I think will remain interesting for Simmers especially with other EPs since more businesses can be made to sell things. I could see a pet store happening.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Simslikeee wrote: »
    I've had this EP for the past couple days, and since I'm on Easter break I've been pretty much playing it non stop. I feel though, that it's not something that will keep you entertained in the long run. To me, the three careers are more like mini games and once I've completed them one time I don't think I'd want to do them again. I haven't dabbled in the owning your own store part yet so I don't know if there is much to that yet. What do you think? Will it keep you entertained in the long run?

That is the perfect way of putting it. My initial impression of GTW is "meh." And I see it getting old very quickly. That's a major problem with linear, task-oriented gameplay in ANY game -- it gets boring. A lot of Sims 4 reminds me of "fetch quests."

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,622 Member
    I don't have it myself. But doesn't it provide you with extra stuff that you could use outside the careers? Like, you could make an evil dungeon (basement) under your home to lock prisoners in and do scientific experiments on them...

Ok, yeah, apart from that one strange scenario I have no idea what else you could do with the EP.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah I think the linear active career goals will get boring fast for Simmers and they'll run out of things to do. The aliens and business and photography aspects I think will remain interesting for Simmers especially with other EPs since more businesses can be made to sell things. I could see a pet store happening.

A pet store would be awesome, and if we get supernatural back then we could make magical apothecaries, wand shops and potion shops. I can see retail being a really great feature for story telling, providing the employees start to pull their weight :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Check out the "Get To Work" forums, though. There's already some complaints about having the same customers over and over and how the employees won't really work. Some people are unhappy with the retail side of it.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    I don't think the fun will last, but I have always been like that with all the Sims games. I play them like crazy for a week or two then I stop playing them till the new ep comes out, it's a vicious cycle.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    If 40usd gives you weeks of fun, it is already worth the money , no?
  • Options
    CoriChanCoriChan Posts: 197 Member
    The employees are iffy, I had one that I thought was going to be ok and she ended up never ringing up people and just slacked off. I had to hire a sim that had max work ethic for him to actually ring up customers. I like it, I mean...there are a lot more things they ask you to do in the 3 active careers than the ambitions careers asked you to do so your work day is pretty constant.
  • Options
    mapleholliemaplehollie Posts: 179 Member
    The main problem is that it gets super repetitive. Being a detective gets boring fast because it's just going to similar crime scenes and watching your sim analyze evidence, etc. We need EPs that bring value to everyday play, not just a narrow part of it.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Not when it's competing against OFB for a fraction of the cost. Plus a lot of Simmers were able to get Sims 2 UC for free last year and still can if they buy an used disk online.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »

I honestly don't think so. My brother recently bought it for my niece and I asked her how she likes it. At first she was like "I really like it." and, then the following day she's like "I dunno what else to do...." lol my brother called me on the phone saying "Please tell me there's something else she can do in the game. I just spent $40 on it for crying out loud!" However x-x i'm the last person to ask about it since I've never played it lol. But I do know, that usually...an expansion pack from the main sim games (and I mean all 1.2.3)for me usually gives me "months" of playtime. So..to grow out of a an expansion pack in a matter of weeks...then that's rather scary to me.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2015
    Edit: Actually, this isn't the place for a GTW review. I deleted it. It wasn't flattering, though ;)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Well the scientist career gets really boring with times, it's cool to do it once or twice but it gets really repetative for me, like huh really! The doctor and detective careers on the other hand keep me entertained and will until probably the next expansion or even more. I just love the two careers and the doctor one makes me want University for TS4 so bad :p

The retail system is nice too though and even though I won't create my own business in all households on my future saves because it also gets a little repetative, I see myself using it often enough, like I did in TS2 :)

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    zagbooruleszagboorules Posts: 474 Member
    edited April 2015
    I've yet to complete the careers, I agree that the retail option is very open for sure, and will last a long time. However, maybe it feels like the careers are short-lived because of the number of careers available. In Sims 3 Ambitions we were given 5 new professions along with 2 new skills, Education career, also the option to become self-employed became available with Ambitions. However, I like the fact that TS4 brought back Retail, the photography skill and aliens - I know I will be using those features in my game for a long time :blush:
  • Options
    FoxcrestFoxcrest Posts: 348 Member
    I think they should give us an option to "remove the tasks" and just sand-box the careers. It'd be nice instead of having to constantly check mark the list they give us. But I for one am happy that they've finally let us get to work, it's much better than rabbit holes and disappear off lot.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I've never been one for active careers. Ambitions (along with world adventures) for ts3 were my two least liked packs because they were the most linear and offered the least replay value imo. Open careers sound like a good idea... but they just aren't to me. Of course it's going to be the same exact tasks over and over and over again. Once you've played it once you've played it 1000x.

As for the retail aspect, seems like there is some... buggyness to it with employees who don't actually do anything and with the same exact customers showing up day after day. Again, like the active careers I guess you could say it's the same thing over and over, but I think that aspect does give you a lot more freedom as there is such a large variety of types of stores you can have a sim run. Also, I think the painting and baking skills could certainly be used and re used outside the main "core" of the pack. There is also aliens to play around with if you are into that.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I didn't expect it to have a lot of replay value. My purchase of it would be mainly for the build/buy items.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    edited April 2015
    So far im liking it.. but yeah I hate... hate that goal-oriented gameplay! They are missing the hole point! The "you rule concept" its only in retail shops or trailers.. Of course we need to do some goals to reach the top in the career but i guess once you make it you will be on your own.. doing your Choices and play style! The other thing that I dont like is the short time to complete the goals... maybe some modder come up some hacks that adds more time to complete the goals or just to stay on the job as you want
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited April 2015
    Parts of it - the active careers - might be short-lived, but I'll have more than got my money's worth out of them by the time I've played them. And I can still put Sims in those careers later without playing them actively so much, for the storytelling or perks (some of which must also be cheatable). I like that my Sims will be able to go properly shopping now, not rabbithole shopping, for the rest of the series, even if I never run my own retail store but only download other people's. That and aliens (which I like but wouldn't mind being able to turn off for some saves) are both long-term gameplay for me. And there's a huge wealth of stuff for the long-term. So, a bit of each, but the short-term is slow-playing enough and the long-term good enough to make it worthwhile for me.

Of note, perhaps: I sometimes like goal-oriented play and linear play. I don't always feel like deciding what to do next and like to have the option of doing something that's suggested for me. Plus I can play much more sandbox inside the careers if I don't mind earning less money and slower promotions. My Sim has totally goofed off some days, and done nothing at work but bang on rockets or freeze-ray co-workers or play video games or wander around the grounds, which turned out to be pretty big.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Since I just bought GTW yesterday, I've only "tested" the doctor career. I can honestly tell you that I did not like all those mini tasks that "had to" complete! :s Like, really?!?? :/ I had my sim quit that job and in a couple of sim days, she's going to try the police career. I also hated that there was not enough time in the day to even consider doing all the mini tasks! I don't know, though. They made this new EP -- and the careers -- look SO intriguing with all the teaser videos. That was one of the reasons why I decided to buy it.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Curious, what happens if you decide to just play in sandbox mode at these open careers and not do the checklists? Do you progress at all towards a promotion?
  • Options
    Baloshi2Baloshi2 Posts: 107 Member
    Well, I've decided to do all three careers at once, and I can say, I'm not going to use them for a while after. I'll probably go back to my legacy soon.... I've been playing a new household for this occasion, and once I'm back in my legacy, I won't be doing active careers until the perfect Sim for it is born into the family.

Retail is amazing, diverse, and... did I say amazing?!?

As for Aliens... I will most likely get sick of them soon, unless I'm playing with them.
    giphy.gif

Origin ID: Baloshi2