Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kudos for Get to work

I am loving playing Get to work and i want to congratulate the simgurus responsible for programming and designing the new careers for a Job well done, excellent Job guys, i love you all for it. However i remain disapointed with the team responsible for the retail aspect of the game, frankly i dont think enought effort was put into it. For one, not having sims check out at the cash register, i mean why have it if it can't be used for that purpose. Also i think the purchasing animations are lazy, sims just swipe the ítems and it is done. Another thing, no clothing racks and only mannequins to display cloths, so what if the player wants to display several clothes it seems they must have the store full of mannequins and finally how silly is it to have a tablet check out in a bakery, come on guys in my opinion i think the retail team missed the oportunity to make this the greatest expansion for the entire series so far . It truly amazes me how about 10 years ago a sims 2 team could have done such a wonderful Job with OFB and yet today with so many improvements in game design a sims 4 team can not get it right.

Comments

• LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad I didn't buy it.
  • mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Me too. Again 40 euros saved ;)
  • Billysim143Billysim143 Posts: 968 Member
    I'll second your kudos!

GTW is one of the best expansion packs I have ever seen come to the Sims games and I have been playing the Sims since the beginning!
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I like GTW only for the stores and some furniture but I wonder, how long will people be so happy with GTW? Outside of running your own shop the active careers don't seem to have much long term game play, which is a shame.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    I like GTW only for the stores and some furniture but I wonder, how long will people be so happy with GTW? Outside of running your own shop the active careers don't seem to have much long term game play, which is a shame.

I also think this, yes the retail aspect can provide a lot of fun and can be replayed differently. However, the careers seem very linear and strike me as only having a few plays through before they become a bit too repetitive.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    kovu0207 wrote: »

I also think this, yes the retail aspect can provide a lot of fun and can be replayed differently. However, the careers seem very linear and strike me as only having a few plays through before they become a bit too repetitive.

I haven't gotten that far yet, I am saving it for a teen that is about to go into YA. I think though it will go along the lines of Ambitions for Sims3, firefighter was great the first time, it was okay a second ... then after that it kinda lost its luster. At least though with GTW, you can choose to follow the sim or choose not to.
  • MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member

I agree the careers don't have that long term appeal. I play large families and having to miss out on everyone to follow a single sim disheartens me somewhat. I do however will be always using the sheer amount of new CAS and Build / Buy items. I also think my sims, from now on, will always visit shops and bakeries for dates or family outings and running a business will likely be my main family's way of living. It gives more purpose to gardening, painting and wood-working.
  • CaptainSauceCaptainSauce Posts: 73 Member
    Ill be buying it when it goes on sale pretty much solely for the purpose of my let's plays. There is a lot more content than I anticipated but 40$ for DLC still seems crazy.
  • mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    I do agree this. I like GTW. For as long as I have played it, it is fun. But the retail aspect is not that great...
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    I might still buy it for the careers... And clothes

But I'm happy to know what I now know about stores... I'm waiting for it to go on sale anyway... But until I buy I have lots of things to keep me entertained!
    Ill be buying it when it goes on sale pretty much solely for the purpose of my let's plays. There is a lot more content than I anticipated but 40$ for DLC still seems crazy.

It's an expansion pack.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    So they managed to half-bake the OFB part? Active careers and running a business should have been separate expansion packs.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    edited April 2015
    > @MarianneSimmer said:
    > It's an expansion pack.

Which is just a different word for DLC. You download more content to the base game which is required.
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    So they managed to half-bake the OFB part? Active careers and running a business should have been separate expansion packs.

Agreed, shoving 2 eps together just hasn't worked. Instead of having 2 different eps for the price of 1, we actually have 2 half-baked , half finished, not fleshed out eps. :(
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
    > @MarianneSimmer said:
    > CaptainSauce wrote: »
    >
    > Ill be buying it when it goes on sale pretty much solely for the purpose of my let's plays. There is a lot more content than I anticipated but 40$ for DLC still seems crazy.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's an expansion pack.

Which is just a different word for DLC. You download more content to the base game which is required.

Expansion packs have been around before DLC ever existed. Also, Get To Work is available on disc.
    > @MarianneSimmer said:
    > Expansion packs have been around before DLC ever existed. Also, Get To Work is available on disc.

lol you're missing the point. It doesn't matter what people use to or still call it, and you still download from a disc just like you can the internet. The point is it's content added on the an existing game. You have to pay $60 for Sims 4 then another $40 for this.
    edited April 2015
    > @MarianneSimmer said:
    > Expansion packs have been around before DLC ever existed. Also, Get To Work is available on disc.

lol you're missing the point. It doesn't matter what people use to or still call it, and you still download from a disc just like you can the internet. The point is it's content added on the an existing game. You have to pay $60 for Sims 4 then another $40 for this.

I see EPs almost as games onto themselves. :)

DLC is more of a new map or clothing or furniture, ETC.
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    edited April 2015
    I bought for 35 XD but I only started playing after 3 april because I am cheap :/ and if you bought on store to deliver was cheaper...

I could have download but it would be 40 plus the tax I pay if I use paysafe would end with 43 bucks.

But the Ep added that, yes it added more than that, but at the end of the day it's providing additional content for a game such as a new map (neighbourhood), clothing and furniture.

kovu0207ver2.jpg
    kovu0207 wrote: »

But the Ep added that, yes it added more than that, but at the end of the day it's providing additional content for a game such as a new map (neighbourhood), clothing and furniture.

Not only that, though. There is a lot of new and different game play. :)

I agree Game Packs are DLC, though.
  • kristinepunktumkristinepunktum Posts: 166 Member
    I actually love the career-aspect of the game, my perfectionism really shines through there, but I hate the retail part. ALL kinds of retail. It's slow, annoying and bugged out, and what's the point in a cash register if they are going to use a tablet? The photography studio didn't really function as I thought it would (that people would come in and then ask to be taken pictures of, instead you can just photograph anyone willy nilly and it makes NO sense that a stranger would buy a family portrait that isn't of their family, but ok), and it's just too much hassle.

That being said, I LOVE following my sims to work. I haven't tried the detective-branch yet, but the hospital and scientist is really fun, I enjoy the hospital the most. And I was one of those who didn't want an expansion like this, following your sims to work seemed like a waste of time, but it's actually really addicting.

A husband from my household was abducted last night... Do they ALWAYS come back pregnant?
    My Youtube Channel
    Current challenges: The History Challenge, the 10 Baby Mama Challenge (Sims 3) and of course; The Legacy Challenge.

kEVfgAW.jpg
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I agree with you guys about the missing details, but I think that they were able to fit in the retail and the careers, is better than Ambitions imo. I was kinda disappointed with Ambitions like the detective was so repetitive and had no purpose, you just hid on trash and collect things around the world, no real coworkers or a work place or putting sims in jail, etc. And Ambitions had no retail system.

I think could be better the details of retail but I prefer that they squeezed in together with the careers. So everybody can have something (not everybody likes careers). Another thing, they also put aliens and lots of gameplay with them. I think gameplay interaction wise this is a very complex EP, and maybe some parts like retail and other details were left unpolished. But, as they showed they can change things through patch (if they added basements, pools, ghosts, etc, I think they can change sims queing up for paying etc). But it won't happen now for sure, so I see why you guys are complaining. For me I don't care because I HATED the lines in sims 2 OFB and the quitting workers because they wanted raise 24/7. On the other hand, I miss a bigger business district like Bluewaters in OFB, because is just too small to feel like a retail place, Magnolia Promenade. Also miss the changing booths in OFB, but I like that we can craft anything and sell, and also fish and put fish to sell. So some things were downgrade without polishing but some others improved imo. In OFB you couldn't put any clothes on mannequins and display, it had 2 mannequins.

I think Get to Work is one of the best EPs for the Sims franchise in terms of content (I play since sims 1). And one of few I was really excited about. But is def not the best and def has flaws and lazying cutting corners.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Took 10 minutes to install, not bad, but I'm already bored. I was hoping for more than one lot to build on. Magnolia whatever is disappointing.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I would not be surprised if EA started selling us lots.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if EA started selling us lots.

If we don't get any new lots / neighbourhoods with the next GP then I wouldn't put it past people to be willing to buy extra lots. :( There isn't enough space as it is, and EA do like to charge extra for things, also just look at how popular worlds were in the TS3 store.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg