Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can you live on your "retail" lot if you open up shop?

like, i want to make a shop in the promendae ... but i've seen lurking pictures of a sim LIVING there as well but had to take door out by build mode is this possible?

Comments

• DMJLNDMJLN Posts: 58 Member
    my sim hasn't gone "home" in two weeks, I pay bills from the phone
  • solarstormsolarstorm Posts: 350 Member
    really?? 🐸🐸🐸🐸 how is your layout?
  • DMJLNDMJLN Posts: 58 Member
    I took the paddiwacks (sp) emporium, bought it unfurnished , and turned the upstairs into a studio type space, I do get sims in and out of the space now and then, but that doesn't bother me too much since they don't come in when the store is closed, and when it's open I'm not playing in the studio space. I hope they release the lock function soon though
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    The only thing I can think of that you can't do on a retail lot is have your baby there. Not literally birth your baby at the store, but have the bassinet and baby on the retail lot.
  • Lenne42Lenne42 Posts: 80 Member
    Just get the no bills aspiration and you won't even need to think about your home lot.
    [img][/img]2hf78fn.jpg
    Check out this YouTube Channel! MySimsVideos has Mod Tutorials, Game Reviews & GIVEAWAYS! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HOU-s_hNldYgy86_waGAA?app=desktop&persist_app=1
  • ant_pouça_atkant_pouça_atk Posts: 32 Member
    my sims have been living on their retail lot since opening it. they pay bills on their phone, so no reason to travel home. i built an apartment above the business. but i remove the apartment's front door when i open shop, otherwise customers and employees will go watch tv, play on the computer, etc.
    okay ... one question tho ... i want to open a small shop -- but how do i be able to afford because i don't want to use the money cheat ... wahhh -- i want to build it start up ...
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    There is no 'no bills' aspiration or reward as far as I know.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited April 2015
    I found out, I made kind of a short hallway to my apt. put door at the apt end and a screen at the opening end. works great and all you have to do it move the screen over and put it back when you reopen. saves having to keep buying doors.
    But my business now is all on one floor so I might make a basement apt for them. would love for them to live there.
    @Evalen kinda confused ... can you do a screenshot?
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited April 2015
    Here is a picture @solarstorm of what I was talking about notice the screens one in front of the apt. a short hall and I decided to put one so no one can go down in the basement where we will be making cupcakes and things. You will only have to move the screen to go to your apt or down in the basement, saves having to buy doors if you remove them. Sure hope that they give us locked doors soon.

34o7vae.jpg
    @Evalen YES THANK U! <3
  • SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Here is a picture @solarstorm of what I was talking about notice the screens one in front of the apt. a short hall and I decided to put one so no one can go down in the basement where we will be making cupcakes and things. You will only have to move the screen to go to your apt or down in the basement, saves having to buy doors if you remove them. Sure hope that they give us locked doors soon.

34o7vae.jpg

Great idea. I still want lockable doors but I will try using the dividers in the meantime. Thanks!
  • martillo1999martillo1999 Posts: 3 New Member
    But can we live in a retail lot and have no home lot? Cause with the tiny amount of living lots there are in TS4 Idont want to waste any
  • seminaricardoseminaricardo Posts: 244 Member
    edited April 2015
    Yes. It is very possible to live on your retail lot. Unless you don't like having visitors come in to buy stuff and even make themselves literally at home.

I have a "all-house furniture" store in the main floor of my house, a mini-bakery with 5 of my best baked goods outside on the side, and my family lives downstairs in the basement.

It's so cool because the main floor looks like a house with living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom...but everything on that floor is on sale! Downstairs in the basement is their actual home complete with all the rooms needed. Not only that, but it's so cool to see my customers sit down and watch my chef family member baked free goods for them, and eat them too while they do some shopping after! It's an all purpose home!
  • dnmartyndnmartyn Posts: 282 Member
    But can we live in a retail lot and have no home lot? Cause with the tiny amount of living lots there are in TS4 Idont want to waste any

No, you still have to own a home lot somewhere, even if you build nothing on it.
  • JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    my sims have been living on their retail lot since opening it. they pay bills on their phone, so no reason to travel home. i built an apartment above the business. but i remove the apartment's front door when i open shop, otherwise customers and employees will go watch tv, play on the computer, etc.

I don't have a pc or tv in my above-store apartment. Customers don't go there (maybe that's why?)
  • RhysRhys Posts: 25 New Member
    There is a door locks mod. I've been using it and it works. I'm new so I can't post links but just search "The sims 4 door locks mod" and it will be the first result
  • lahaygoodlahaygood Posts: 2 New Member
    My cute little sims couple has bought a retail lot with apartment and shop w/ green house on it. really want them to live there. I understand the concept of just having them travel to their retail as their home; but is there anyway to set the retail lot as their home? what about having babies at the retail lot? is that possible?
    thanks in advance!
    LA
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    no there is no way. you have to have two separate locations
  • Gamer_RayGamer_Ray Posts: 4 New Member
    [quote="Ashkevron;13491288"]There is no 'no bills' aspiration or reward as far as I know.[/quote]

There is one to reduce bills. It might be either an aspiration reward or the aspiration trait for either of the money aspirations.

I think it's a trait you buy with points.
  • Gamer_RayGamer_Ray Posts: 4 New Member
    [quote="solarstorm;13491241"]okay ... one question tho ... i want to open a small shop -- but how do i be able to afford because i don't want to use the money cheat ... wahhh -- i want to build it start up ...[/quote]

I had to use the money cheat to open a shop right away. It's quite expensive and doesn't make profit very quickly from my experience. I would start out with a normal job (Tech Guru is recommended. It pays the most) and save up your money before building/buying a shop and quitting your day job.
  • SophielolaSophielola Posts: 0 New Member
    How do i get a retail lot if i click the ... no change lot type comes up?
  • barespycebarespyce Posts: 34 Member
    Sophielola wrote: »
    How do i get a retail lot if i click the ... no change lot type comes up?

If you go to build mode on the lot, you can choose the info option on the top menu (House with an i). It will allow you to change the lot type there.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Yeah, I wish we could have a retail lot as a home, lol. Right now my painter has a gallery/studio appartment (I converted one of the 2 floor houses in Willow Creek, but she technically lives with her brother, so anytime I'm not actively playing her she ends up there, and he also has a ghost rooomie, so it gets kind crowded :-P Waiting for a "live anywhere" mod to fix the problem.