Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Games That Are Totally Not The Sims Geek Out Corner

CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
Aloha fellow Simmers/nerds-in-general,

I noticed there wasn't a general "Let's talk about the games we like to goof off in!" post (or if it's around, it's buried/missed :O)

While I know the reason we're all here overall is because of the Sims, I always enjoy having discussions about games in general - despite being a Simmer, my game tastes have gone to pretty much every genre at some point.

So what else are you playing? Share screenshots, stories, hilarious bugs, etc!

I'll get things rolling and let's see if this goes somewhere >.>

Things I'm currently playing/geeking out over:

Diablo 3 - This is pretty much as simple as it gets in terms of mechanics - pick a character, level up and blast things to bits. Blizzard basically flipped the ARPG genre onto its backside with Diablo 1 15+ years ago and while Diablo 3 actually limped for a bit due to some design choices, in typical Blizzard fashion they have been relentless in bringing the game to a proper standard. Like Diablo 2 before it, the first xpack for the game basically catapulted it from "great" to "AMG CAN I HAVE THIS AN IV?!" status IMO.

Also works well for those "I don't have much time but I wanna blow things up!" days when you can't spare more then 30 mins to an hour :D
GMCdmNt.jpg
4EoxFWu.jpg

Dragon Age Inquisition - 3rd game in the series. It's Bioware. If you've ever wanted to play games that cast you into a role but give you a huge amount of freedom to shape the world, events and people around you, this is pretty much top of the pile IMO.

EJswrdZ.png
GHPR96c.png
8ozC6gG.png

Borderlands 1/2/Pre-Sequel - An unusual FPS with a really unique art design, mated to a deeper than you'd think RPG system for gear/skills that has pretty much some of the best humor I have EVER run into and a story that (at least in 2/TPS) has serious gravitas and feel to it for many portions.

kJb44P3.jpg
OsPDlIm.jpg
2JFFf4G.jpg

Homeworld 1/2 - This game is nearly 15 years old but was purchased out by Gearbox (same studio who makes Borderlands) and overhauled. While there's a couple of weird bugs/changes, the core of this game remains the same with a remarkably gripping story about an exiled group of people trying to find their way home through a galaxy rife with enemies. Gorgeous graphics and a pretty punishing difficulty but oh so worth it.

oiEacyl.jpg
zx8jk3h.jpg
rhErhGp.jpg

There's a few more in my current rotation, but don't want this post to get too long!

So, dish peeps - what else is in your gaming roster? Or if you're someone who hasn't branched out from the Sims much but is curious, pop in and ask questions, etc. Origin gave Dragon Age Origins away for free a few months back and it was fun getting some people who'd never looked much past the Sims into it and enjoying a completely different genre/experience.
y9UdOhq.png
"My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~

Comments

• andersson01andersson01 Posts: 193 Member
    edited March 2015
    Isn't DA 3 pretty buggy? Was thinking about getting it, but then it's EA... so haven't gotten it yet. O_o

Transistor is awesome! Bit short but very charming and the soundtrack is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmlnUCK9oWI

Crusader Kings II, the interface takes a while getting used to, but once you got it there's no other game like it. Control a person from any major or minor 'house' in europe (africa / india / russia / middle east with DLCs) and see how far your family can get. Things might look good... until your character dies and you get to play as the heir... jealous family members / vassals you name it. More drama than Idol / Big Brother! :open_mouth:

Oh and this trailer is brilliant! :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzkVTDfxIUI
    The world would be a much better place without me... I can't allow that! >:D
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I think the other games you're playing are waaaaaaaaayy more geekier than Sims.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Right now I am mostly into the Assassin's Creed series.

tStmIZw.jpg

I've been playing Black Flag quite a bit again lately. I was so skeptical when I bought that game back when it was released but I ended up loving it...maybe even more so than the previous titles in some ways. The main story line is okay but I love the pirate aspect of the game more than anything. Which is surprising because in AC III I didn't like the ship missions but they greatly improved the mechanics in AC IV.

I88NIF5.jpg

Probably the funniest glitch to happen. This wasn't in my game. I didn't have many glitches in the console version but apparently the PC version was very glitchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQ_ZozZIio&index=3&list=FLIsaVd2SKi7QuMTYzLJBl_A

Another funny one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-b85-uoek
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    Isn't DA 3 pretty buggy? Was thinking about getting it, but then it's EA... so haven't gotten it yet. O_o

I have played Dragon Age Inquisition since launch and I had a few bugs then but they weren't anything major and were quickly resolved with patches.
    Haven't had any bugs since.

tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited March 2015
    @andersson01 - DAI is remarkably stable overall - of everyone in my gaming circle, myself included, who has it, only one person I know ran into any major issues and none of them prevented completion of the game. There's been a few patches too that have knocked out most of the large issues I've seen.

It's one of Bioware's best titles bar none. I am still biased more towards Mass Effect, but DAI did some crazy new things (referring to the usual way Bioware does their games) and looks fantastic.

Transistor is AMAZING and still has one of the best visual styles for a small indie game I've seen. If you haven't checked it out yet, their former game, Bastion, is equally amazing.

@Simpkin - I figured that was a given xD

@sillyangel0906 - I'm on an AC break though I do intend to play through Black Flag at some point - AC3 was kind of lackluster to me and I'm not touching Unity till it goes on a steep sale for now. Very much a fan of the AC2 arc with Ezio.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • lissiealissiea Posts: 175 Member
    Nice! I play a DH in D3 too but I'm not a hardcore farmer in the game so my gear is pretty crap. I've been kicking myself for missing the Origin DA:O giveaway since I always wanted to try DA. I'll probably end up getting it at some point, though I'll really prefer to get from Steam.

I don't have any screenshots now (maybe I'll add them later) but I've been catching up on all the awesome games I've missed. I like to start games in chronological order so I've been playing Witcher and Torchlight before moving on to the sequels. Wanted to get Mass Effect too but the Origin sale is over. 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

I also recently bought Child of Light from the Ubisoft sale on Steam so I'm going to try that too. So many games, so little time! :D
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    Sid Meier's Civilization Series. Mainly IV and V, take up the majority of my gaming time, even much more than Sims.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Crackseed wrote: »

@sillyangel0906 - I'm on an AC break though I do intend to play through Black Flag at some point - AC3 was kind of lackluster to me and I'm not touching Unity till it goes on a steep sale for now. Very much a fan of the AC2 arc with Ezio.

I played AC III once and that was enough. I just didn't connect with Connor the way I did Altair, Ezio, and later Edward. I haven't played Unity yet. I don't have a PS 4 yet for one, and two, I watched a bit of an LP for that one and it really didn't appeal to me very much. I also played AC Rogue. It was okay but much like AC III, I doubt I will ever give it anymore of my time(again didn't connect with the main character and the game overall was kinda meh)

I'm also looking forward to MGS V in the fall. Been a fan of that series for a very long time as well.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    8ozC6gG.png

She is so gorgeous, I want her in my DAI :)

Right now I am playing Ice Age Adventure
    Screenshot_2015-03-18-23-33-22_zpsj85a3zrb.png

And Delicious : Emily
    Screenshot_2015-03-18-23-44-37_zpsc9uo0l5o.png
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I played the trial version of Diablo 3 a few times since it came out, then last month while playing, I entered a portal to this place:

kZ4kz8N.jpg

Immediately went out and bought the game after that.
    9d9hOnJ.png
    Archivist wrote: »
    I played the trial version of Diablo 3 a few times since it came out, then last month while playing, I entered a portal to this place:

kZ4kz8N.jpg

Immediately went out and bought the game after that.

Ahh yes, the land of Whimsyshire, made as a secret level to poke fun at the whole art drama that centered around a rainbow that showed up in one of diablo's early screen shots and certain fans staged a war on Blizzard because "THIS GAME SHOULD BE FULL OF DEATH AND DARKNESS AND 🐸🐸🐸🐸 IS A RAINBOW DOING IN THERE!"
    y9UdOhq.png
  • KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    We've been playing Diablo 3, DAI and Minecraft on the PS4....but on my own, I've been doing more reading than gaming, of late. The heady world of fanfic has captured my *ahem* imagination. :)

But this weekend, given that we're all recovering from our colds, we will likely be re-playing Diablo and perhaps some Minecraft.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I don't own any consoles, so I just stick to sims and league v.v

I'm just gonna lurk and watch everyone else's fun:D
    edited March 2015
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    We've been playing Diablo 3, DAI and Minecraft on the PS4....but on my own, I've been doing more reading than gaming, of late. The heady world of fanfic has captured my *ahem* imagination. :)

But this weekend, given that we're all recovering from our colds, we will likely be re-playing Diablo and perhaps some Minecraft.

Good fanfic is definitely like a drug - I tend to be ultra critical of that stuff but I'm a recent convert to one of the better Mass Effect fanfics by a writer named Tairis Dreamhan and his/her Razor's Edge series.

@LaAbby - you're still welcome to hang out/ask questions/poke fun :) Who knows, maybe you'll find something neat! Also note most of these games are PC, not console.

@lissiea - I'm not a fan of hardcore overall. My gaming time is precious and while I DO have HC chars and I'm in an HC guild, I prefer my softcore for D3. DHs are so much fun but really, all the classes are so well designed I've played them all for quite a few hours.

@jcp011c2 - Anything by Sid Meier is pretty awesome. I'm not a Civ fan though I have tremendous respect for those games. His new one though, Starships, has me quite interested and his company Firaxis recently rebooted XCOM and that made me happier than a pig in a truffle field there.

If anyone is a fan of turn-based, heavy tactical gameplay with a serious difficulty curve/punishment for failing, XCOM Enemy Unknown is pretty up there. Great story/plot angle too - running a secret military organization funded by the nations of the world after we discover that aliens are carrying out clandestine abductions around the world.

@susiechan - Why am I not surprised by those games xD I do have the slider preset for my elf if you'd like those to recreate her or there is a mod that allows you to extra face codes of a sort I believe.

@sillyangel0906 - I have a huge amount of respect for the Metal Gear Solid series but I never was a big fan of it personally - not my type of gameplay really. Closest I've gotten to really enjoying the "stealth" genre was original Thief and recently Dishonored. Still a great series by a talented designer. I do wish they'd do more with the actual Gears themselves though :(

Edit: I didn't realize there were quite so many D3 players here - if any of you ever want to exchange B.net friend codes for some co-op, let me know!
    y9UdOhq.png
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    An awesome steam sale happened a while back, so now i have Borderlands 2 GOTY, Payday 2 GOTY, and Saints Row IV Game of the Century.

I Finished Saints Row IV but that doesn't mean i can't decemate the entire city with a Totally OP Music weapon.

In Borderlands 2 I've barely now - Spoilers -, ( My earlier save borked the game so i had to restart :pensive: ) Aparrently Dues Ex Machina RPG's happen to lie behind boss bots. 0_0

Aaand Payday 2... Word of wise, never play SP cause the Ally bots doesn't carry your loot worth llamas... :disappointed:

Other than those games i got, I'm still learning up some League and by god I really wanna get back into TF2 Its been like a month and i'm not okay with that...

Also PC GTA V on the 14th of April.. I really hope that this wait is worth it Rock*
    Post edited by COOLGAME8013 on
  • SimplySaturnSimplySaturn Posts: 381 Member
    well i still need to finish majora's mask i kinda got sidetracked and haven't finished yet :P i'm also hoping to get story of seasons for easter. then i still need to find time to play the sims. so many games so little time...
    1351619281351_zpssbklcerb.gif
    well i still need to finish majora's mask i kinda got sidetracked and haven't finished yet :P i'm also hoping to get story of seasons for easter. then i still need to find time to play the sims. so many games so little time...

Isn't that the truth? -_- Why was I born 10 years too early when there's now the rise of eSports/gaming as a career lol - the urge to try and stake out a slice of that Twitch streaming pie is tempting at times.

@COOLGAME8013 - Good pick ups! Saint's Row is just bizarre but entertaining. BL2 is so good, though it does have a few weird...issues...sometimes. Such humor though, so lol.

Not a fan of PayDay but I've had a few friends get into it. League of Legends is definitely a staple but I didn't bring that one up initially given I figured most people know of it/have played it. I do love watching the LCS matches too - TSM TSM TSM!

As for GTA V, pretty sure that goes without saying. Rockstar's often had some critical bugs in their launch titles but they are like Blizzard in my eyes - they are relentless at fixing/tweaking things till it's great and even with the few hiccups they've had, their games are pure quality. One of the few companies I pre-order from w/o concern.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »

You should really play the walking dead. I think the first episode is free on steam...
    @Crackseed most of them are PC?? Alright, I think this might be the first thread I will follow.
    AstroX1424 wrote: »

You should really play the walking dead. I think the first episode is free on steam...

I'll check it out then! I'm gonna have to make some time for these games lol
    @LaAbby - Yep! Pretty much everything here is PC centric, though some of these games have console counterparts but assume for the most part, PC.

#PCMasterRace (note - I have no hate of consoles, just had to throw that out there lol)

y9UdOhq.png
    @LaAbby - Yep! Pretty much everything here is PC centric, though some of these games have console counterparts but assume for the most part, PC.

#PCMasterRace (note - I have no hate of consoles, just had to throw that out there lol)

I just don't own them 'cause they're expensive and I literally don't have enough for them :<

Can you recommend anything that you liked? (PC)

I just don't own them 'cause they're expensive and I literally don't have enough for them :<

I hear you there - while consoles have a huge market share for many reasons, I started as a PC gamer and will die one for many reasons.

I can make MANY recommendations but what kind of interests do you have for games? Heavy story, very action-driven, do you like cerebral/puzzle based thought games or are you just up for something NEW in general? And how up to par is your PC? I ask this because I always like to try and tailor a recommendation that way and have it be something you can enjoy without it running like a proverbial slide show. If you want to PM me any specifics rather than post here, you are welcome to do so too.
    y9UdOhq.png
    edited March 2015

I hear you there - while consoles have a huge market share for many reasons, I started as a PC gamer and will die one for many reasons.

I can make MANY recommendations but what kind of interests do you have for games? Heavy story, very action-driven, do you like cerebral/puzzle based thought games or are you just up for something NEW in general? And how up to par is your PC? I ask this because I always like to try and tailor a recommendation that way and have it be something you can enjoy without it running like a proverbial slide show. If you want to PM me any specifics rather than post here, you are welcome to do so too.

My laptop isn't fit for gaming lol, but idc, I'll try what I can anyways.

I dunno, I'm fine with anything as long as it's not something extremely gory, just because it'll make me feel really dirty :P
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    I've been playing Cities: Skylines lately. :) It took a few tries to get a successful city going. I don't have that much experience with city builders. :D

So far I've totaled 15 hours and my current town is at 40,000 citizens, with like 3 million dollars in the bank. You can gain money incredibly fast in this game. :P I would post pics, but my town's name is inappropriate for this forum. :P
    edited March 2015

My laptop isn't fit for gaming lol, but idc, I'll try what I can anyways.

I dunno, I'm fine with anything as long as it's not something extremely gory, just because it'll make me feel really dirty :P

Mmm. Something tamer or completely SP driven to start. Do you have your laptop specs on hand or can you get them/post/PM them to me? I have a game in mind already but I want to make sure it would run for you :)

@cheesetruck - Glad your'e having fun with it and the fact that your town is inappropriately named just makes it more awesome in my mind xD *high five*
    y9UdOhq.png