Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Drifter Challenge - House 001 - Rules

Comments

• illusieillusie Posts: 13,816 Member
    illusie wrote: »
    SimCave wrote: »
    Can I give a non controllable Sim in the house a job?

@SimCave, no you can only give jobs to controllable sims.

What happens if the Sim you move in already has a job?

They can keep the job
  • chillyzgrrlchillyzgrrl Posts: 347 Member

They can keep the job

Yay! That makes things easier. I don't have to make this girl Caden moved in give up her job.
  • VihishaVihisha Posts: 2,767 Member

It really depends on the rules stated for each specific house, but they "usually" can just keep their job (or swap if it's an option through a pop-up event)

rXyqmuX.jpg
  • VihishaVihisha Posts: 2,767 Member
    Vihisha wrote: »
    @chillyzgrrl You definitely had a fun House 001! THX for sharing it! I love the style of house you built & like you...I always enjoy watching the house come together! It's kinda' neat seeing everything that can happen and the skills your non-playable Sims gain...it's something that keeps the game fresh and different, even if you decide to replay a house! I can't tell you how many House 001's I played :p

I had SO MUCH fun with this house! I don't normally do Southwestern style homes and it was just a lot of fun to find a house plan I liked and it came right when they made the new update to the stairs... so I got to play with stair layouts, and that enclosed porch with the sun roof! It was so much fun seeing it come together!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this house challenge!! B)
    I have yet to mess with terrain levels or the new stair tool....it's overwhelming to me LMAO....I'll get there sometime! I'm glad you enjoyed trying some new stuff tho!
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • lovingbabeslovingbabes Posts: 81 Member
    Can you please tell me how to get shelter for my sim cause she’s starting in the winter season And 0 money
  • NakendraNakendra Posts: 179 Member
    @lovingbabes Roof is free, just take photos and selfies and sell them to you get enough money, 50, too but a door
  • lovingbabeslovingbabes Posts: 81 Member
    Thank you I will try that
  • PinkWorldPinkWorld Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hey! :)

I've just started this challenge again. This is super fun! These are my first two updates:

House 01.1
    House 01.2
    How fun you started with this challenge @PinkWorld
    Evelyn is very pretty. Congrats on the wedding and baby! She looks cute. And congrats on the second baby as well!
    Your sim seems to be doing very well!
  • KariseKarise Posts: 1,198 Member
    @PinkWorld Welcome back to the Drifters :smiley: Evelyn is so pretty. Congrats on the wedding and babies. You're doing really well. Can't wait to read more.
    How fun you started with this challenge @PinkWorld
    Evelyn is very pretty. Congrats on the wedding and baby! She looks cute. And congrats on the second baby as well!
    Your sim seems to be doing very well!
    Yeah - I have experience with this - so it's not too hard. But this is still a fun challenge to dip my feet in again :smile:

Karise wrote: »
    @PinkWorld Welcome back to the Drifters :smiley: Evelyn is so pretty. Congrats on the wedding and babies. You're doing really well. Can't wait to read more.
    Thanks for reading! I love that the first house isn't too hard for me, hahah.
    Anyway! New update from me! House 01.3
    @pinkworld, the kids look adorable. Winterfest looked fun! Congrats on all the birthdays!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Hello everyone! *waves* :)

I love doing challenges and since the beginning of TS4 I've tried an enormous amount of them, some more than once or twice. My favorite way to play is Rags to Riches style, either alone or as the beginning of another challenge. I've tried Legacies in the past and currently, but I never seem to get very far before losing interest. I thought perhaps the Random Legacy would help with that since it has different goals to roll each generation. But it's a bit complicated and I don't like a ton of rules that need a spreadsheet to keep track of them.

I thought about trying the Everything challenge since I do have my own 'Git 'Er Done' challenge for myself with a list of things I haven't tried yet in all the packs that I own, which is all of them except MFP & Fitness. But, I love to build too and there doesn't seem to be much involved with that challenge. A couple days ago while looking at the list of challenges posted here on the forum, I noticed the Drifter Challenge, again. I've seen it numerous times, but for some reason always passed it by.

This time, I made an effort to check it out and read every single post in the main thread and this thread, plus checked out the blog for it too. I'm sitting here now wondering why the heck I didn't do that sooner! Everything about this challenge seems like just what I've been looking for to keep my interest and actually finish some type of 'legacy.' It's got everything I love; Rags to Riches, building, trying new aspirations, careers I've never done before, relatively simple rules, the list goes on and on.

So, after that long-winded introduction (sorry) the point is, I've started the challenge with House 01. Here's my 'founder' or first drifter:

jdTsrRp.png

Traits: Creative, Loves Outdoors, Bro
    Starting Aspiration: Angling Ace - completed

Here's her progression so far which contains a couple questions I have before I can go any further. Plus, I think I may have made one BIG mistake which might result in having to start over. o.O It's in a spoiler because it's a little long. I tend to ramble. lol I'll try my best not to make future posts any where near this big. :)
    I decided she wouldn't get a job, ala Rags to Riches style. Elle earned her simoleans from; fishing, collecting, breeding frogs, gardening and a little painting using a digital device and later with an easel. After she completed the Angling Ace, I started jumping around with aspirations to get more Satisfaction points. I had a goal in mind with those which brings up one question I have now. Can they purchase a Money Tree seed? I don't see anything in the rules against it, but thought I should ask before buying one. I'm also wondering about the Lottery. Can she purchase a ticket for that? It's already come up once, but I just let it time out without having her enter. I didn't just edit to remove it in case it wasn't forbidden.

I had her concentrate on getting the 1K needed to travel the first couple days and then looked around the area for a potential spouse. Luckily, there was a townie fishing a couple lots over that just happened to be one of my past Sims from another save that I thought would be perfect! I use a custom template save with lots of my own favorite Sims I put in it as not-in-world. I hope that wasn't breaking any rules? Anyway, I sent her down there to have a chat and get to know him. His name is Joel Hunter. Here they are cloudgazing together:

I5gmdiE.png

Why do I think he's perfect? Well, just look at him! I think he's gorgeous, very fit, has red hair, and if you look closely you can see he also has purple eyes, just like Elle! <3

0cVP8vT.png

I didn't push the relationship though because I wanted to wait until Elle had built a big enough house to accommodate a double bed, a bathroom with a tub and everything else needed for a toddler. Joel kept calling asking her to the circus, an opera, a concert etc. and I sent her on every outing with him. Had to turn down a couple dates though since she was too tired.

At the end of the first week of Summer, the Romance Festival arrived and Joel invited Elle to go try out the tea with him. They took a selfie right after she arrived. I think they look so cute together. :)

9uluByx.png

It was the perfect opportunity to get their romance to the next level and harvest all those lovely plants too! Things were progressing nicely and they were to the point for a first kiss. But then some random townie horned in on the convo. Joel thought it was awkward to keep flirting and ran off before they could though. No worries, Elle had accomplished what she'd come there for and was tired anyway. I sent her home.

Elle planted the flowers she harvested at the Festival, finished the Angling Ace aspiration, switched to Freelance Botanist as her main, but kept bopping around to get more points too, continued collecting, breeding frogs etc. By the Friday of the last week of Summer (I play with a 14 day season) with just 14 days left until she aged up to adult, Elle finally had enough to build the house she needed to get married and start a family. Here's her current very basic house worth a little over 15K:

2KGtQOA.png
    vaSynzn.png

Virtually no landscaping except her plants and that palm tree area, but that'll all come later. I closed the game after that and opened the screenshot folder to sort through them, deleting duplicates, etc.

While looking at them, I noticed something I should've seen while they were together at the Festival. Joel was an adult! o.O Uh oh...He was a YA when she first met him, but he must not have had many days left until he aged up. When I got back in the game the next day, I got her needs up, had her paint a Flirty painting, and invited Joel over. Things progressed very quickly after that; first kiss, boyfriend/girlfriend, move-in, and first try for baby. Took the test, she wasn't pregnant. Wha....? I've never ever had that happen. o.O No worries, just do it again. Check again, preggers! \o/ Yay! Heir on the way! She told him, proposed, got engaged, and then married in the bedroom as they stood in their PJs. Whew! lol

Paused the game to see if he had anything in his inventory and...

*record scratch*

I realized I'd forgotten exactly who Joel happened to be. My former Super Sim! He has a TON of skills maxed and aspirations completed, plus is Level 10 in the Business career as an Angel Investor. If I remember correctly, he's completed a lot of other careers as well. Now what do I do? Do I need to start over? Should I try to find a prior save just before she asked him to move-in? Kicking him out would be against the rules, right? Once they move in, they can't move out. Should I try to remove ALL those skills/aspirations/careers and keep him? Gah! I'm at a loss here. They're so dang cute together and Elle's pregnant. Things were going so well and then... D'oh! *cries*

Thanks for reading if you got this far. I am really enjoying this challenge so far and am hoping I don't have to start over already. If I do though, not that big of a deal really, it's my own fault. I'll keep everything on hold and wait patiently for some answers and solutions to my dilemna.

Have a great rest of your weekend and...

Happy Simming! <3
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @Karababy52 I don't see that you've broken any rules.. and even if he's a super-sim - you don't actually play the spouses (i.e. you can't control them) - I don't think it'll matter much. In other words, I don't think there's any reason you need to restart your game. As to the other questions, I am not 100% sure about the money tree, but the lottery entering should be okay. And putting sims and lots into other towns in the save shouldn't be an issue, so long as they're not going to be one of the playable sims (in later houses, sometimes you can control more than one sim). I know I have played the townies enough that when doing something like a drifter challenge, I delete them, and let the game spawn new ones. There are others, I know, that have put created sims in, either from the gallery or just CAS - again, just make sure they don't have skills if they're going to be played. And yes, moving him back out would definitely be against the rules.

.. I think I answered most the questions, and congrats on getting so far, I loved the screenshots. Welcome to the Drifter family!
    @IllusoryThrall Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions to the best of your knowledge, very much appreciated. I know we don't control the spouses, and in most cases their traits, aspirations, careers, skills, etc. wouldn't matter. There is one perk he has from completing either Fabulously Wealthy or the Business aspiration though which will affect their income.

He gets an investment payment based on the household finances every week. I could solve that though by keeping track of whatever the amount is and removing it. Plus, he has the Fresh Chef perk too, so any food he leaves sitting out won't spoil. Of course I could just drag anything he makes to the trash to solve that as well?

As for the Money Tree and Lottery, I think though it's probably okay to use them, it still feels a bit cheaty. Either/or could quickly solve the 30K requirement for the lot/house value. I don't know. *shrugs* Did you use/enter either one in your Drifter challenge?

With the Sims I've put in my custom save file, only two are actually housed; my Adam Lambert Sim who lives in a Del Sol Valley mansion and the house where Joel lived with his two brothers. One of his brothers is also a Super Sim since he's a remodeled clone of Joel. All the other Sims are not-in-world and a couple are mail ladies. The thing is though, with the exception of the mail ladies who were game generated that I saved because I liked them, all the other Sims I put in the save came from other challenges/gameplays so the all have skills.

I think I either need to remove them, or make sure not to choose them for a future mate of a Drifter. They'll eventually die off anyway though, so probably wouldn't hurt to keep them at least. I love seeing my prior Sims running around, makes me smile. Some of them even end up filling NPC roles. :)

Thank you for the welcome and for your lovely comments about my progress so far in the challenge. :)
    edited March 2020
    @Karababy52, sounds like you have tried many challenges. I hope you'll enjoy the drifter challenge as much as I do! I think you'll like it. Welcome to the drifter family!

Your founder Elle is very cute. She and Joel are a very handsome couple. The house looks lovely! Great screenshots <3

You are allowed to enter the lottery and buy the money tree, though I admit that it does feel a little cheaty. It's up to you if you want to give it a go or not. I never tried the money tree, but once had a drifter sim who won the lottery. She lives on a small plot so had no need for so much money.
    As long as the sims you add don't have skills it's alllowed to add them as townies. I see yours is a supersim. if I were you i'd just keep playing with him. I don't think you can controll him anyway, right? So it doesn't matter. No need to start over.
    @illusie Thank you for the advice/comments about my Sim, her house and screenshots. I feel very welcome! :) Kudos to you for progressing to House 22! Impressive! Hopefully that'll be me at some point. Yes, I have played a multitude of challenges! I love them! <3

My Sim won't need that many simoleans either, so I'll skip the Lottery/Money tree and use her points for something else. It's nice to know it's allowed though for possible use in another house.

About the townies. Well, as shared above, they all DO have skills, except two mail ladies. What I'll do is ban those Sims from becoming spouses/extra household members from now on and only let them be friends or maybe a lover. ;)

I'll also keep my eye on Joel and if anything happens that could be considered an advantage over others playing the challenge, I'll correct it tout suite. :)

Have a great week y'all and Happy Simming! <3
    @Karababy52 I never was good with multigeneration challenges until I started the drifter challenge. After I finish the drifter challenge I'm going to look for other challenges to play.

Sounds like a good idea to let them only be friends or lovers :)

Thanks, you too!
    @Karababy52 Welcome to the Drifters. Elle is really pretty. Congrats on her getting married and the house is looking good. You're doing really well. :smiley:
    @illusie I'm hoping this challenge is the one to finally keep my interest long enough to complete as well. :) Just out of curiosity, how long has it taken you to get up to House 22? I imagine it took awhile. :)

@Karise Thanks for the welcome and all the lovely comments! I like Elle and Joel's little house so far and have some ideas for how to expand upon it. It'll most likely at least get a foundation and wrap-around porch, I love those. How far along are you in the challenge? Do either one of you blog about your Drifters?
    Okay, well, I decided to start over. Joel isn't working out. He's too good. lol He gets interest every week of around 400, he makes 3200 per work day, I keep finding Masterpieces on the easel because I forget to put it away, and the list goes on. I didn't have the heart to delete the save though, they're too cute together, plus Elle's about ready to pop with their baby. So, I kept them as a couple in that save and made a new one.

I don't know how it happened, but Elle's original tray file was gone when I went looking for it. I always save a copy of any Sims I create and keep them in a folder with their name on it. *sigh* So, I made a twin of Elle. She's exactly the same, but with no skills or anything. The only difference is I renamed her Ella. This time too, I removed all my Sims from the custom template that I knew had skills. Ella's House 01 file is fresh and ready to go, all set up AND I made a copy this time. I didn't last time so I had to bulldoze and set everything up again. *double sigh* Live and learn, right? ;)

On your mark, get set, GO! <3
    edited March 2020
    @Karababy52 Welcome to the challenge! I'm doing the first house as well - or I'm about to be finished with it, hahah. I'm sorry to see that Elle and Joel didn't work out, but I hope it goes much better with Ella :)

Anyway, new chapter has been released. House 01.4
    @Karababy52 Sorry it didn't work out for you with Elle but hopefully Ella will do better. I've actually finished the Drifters now but keep reading my about my friends challenges. I didn't blog about how I was doing - just commented on each house. Good luck for the new attempt.

@PinkWorld Congrats on the promotions and birthdays. I laughed at Nani's expression when meeting her stepmum. She didn't look very impressed.
    @Karababy52 I started in december 2016. I mainly only play during the weekend and had long breaks in between playing.
    Yes I have a blog: https://illusie.weebly.com/drifter-challenge/category/index

Sorry to hear it didn't work out with Ella and Joel because him being a supersim. Good luck with Ella's new start!

@pinkworld, congrats on the promotions and birthdays! Nice update

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top