Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Drifter Challenge - House 001 - Rules

Comments

• Options
    AllieMacAllieMac Posts: 925 Member
    Welcome to the insanity of Drifting @DebraF63

Congrats on finishing House 001 @cshaner!
    OriginID: txalikat2
    Drifter Challenge Blog: https://alliemacsims.wordpress.com/
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options

IT'S A START

Annie: “Did you have fun with your friends?”
    Paolo: “Yeah, it was a pretty good night.”
    Annie fishing: “What about your girlfriend? Did she have fun?”
    Paolo: “What girlfriend?”
    ZWMJiD1.jpg
    Annie hurriedly: “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked that. It’s none of my business.”
    Paolo: “I don’t have a girlfriend.”
    Annie brightening: “Oh, so you’re single?”
    Paolo: “Yeah, but not for lack of trying.”
    Annie deflates a little: “Oh, I see.”

Has Annie been misreading Paolo's intentions? Does Paolo have his eye on someone else?... 5. It's a Start

7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member

@AllieMac - yay another update! I'll check it out later, when I have time!

@DebraF63 - good luck and have fun drifting! I hope you like it as much as the rest of us do!

@cshaner - Can't wait to see pictures! Congrats on finishing house 1!
  • Options
    VihishaVihisha Posts: 2,767 Member
    @DebraF63 So awesome! I hope u have fun!! =)

@cshaner GRATZ on completing The Drifter Challenge House 001!!!
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    Do good so far. But I did do something new before starting playing, I actually built my own restaurant first.
  • Options
    cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    edited October 2016
    Ok! So here is my first ever Drifter Challenge - it is not a story - it's just really a series of screenshots of the finished house and the small family I played with. I used my SimSelf as the founder and made my SimHubby to be my in game spouse too.

Please share your thoughts. cshaner's Just for Funsies - Drifter House 001
    10-15-16_11-19-24c2a0pm.jpg?w=676
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • Options
    DebraF63 wrote: »
    Do good so far. But I did do something new before starting playing, I actually built my own restaurant first.
    Awesome! I'd love 2 c a pic or 2...here or on Twitter maybe?!
    cshaner wrote: »
    Looks great! Adding it 2 the list of Blogs @ the beginning of this thread....remind me as u progress house 2 house if add more content 2 your page ok?! Then I can keep things current so others can enjoy your content!
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    @Vihisha thanks for adding me! This was more a just for fun though and I don't know if I'll be updating it or not. I'd like to actually write a story around my drifters. I'll for sure let you know if I start another challenge I'm interested to see how things change on a second run through. I also may like to make a different style house for the Southwest/desert feel of Oasis Springs.
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
  • Options
    edited October 2016

BITTER MELONS & PASSION FRUIT

Unfortunately deciding to become a writer is A LOT easier than deciding WHAT to actually write about. After staring at the blinking cursor on her screen for hours on end, Annie is disgusted by its mocking flickering and shuts down the machine.

The following day and well into the evening…
    r4MV7jR.jpg
    She tries again, but the recurring thought “no idea, no idea, no idea” beats in time with the troublesome cursor and she’s forced to admit defeat once again.

Will Annie get past her blank page and find something to write about?... 6. Bitter Melons & Passion Fruit

7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    So here are some things I noticed or did when I was playing through. I'm putting this behind a spoiler tag because some may not want to get ideas before they try it themselves.
    Some of these ideas I got from other people and incorporated along the way. Others I sorta figured out on my own.
    1. I didn't spend money buying stuff for a little while. As soon as I could afford 4 very small walls, a door, and a toilet I bought them, I also put a shower in there quickly as well. But other than that I didn't buy furnishings for a while. Like maybe more than $1500? I wanted to save money for the 1K to travel requirement. So I could go out to club events and meet people etc.
    2. I didn't buy a bed and just repeatedly napped on the bench right near the home lot for several days.
    3. I collected every single harvestable and collectible I could find daily in a big loop. I would fish in the closer fishing hole most of the day.
    4. I bred and looked for frogs constantly until I was able to get/breed whirlyflower I bred until I got 2 and then didn't bother with the collecting frogs quite as much.
    5. I switched aspirations constantly when gardening, collecting, fishing, cooking etc.
    6. I didn't get a career until I actually had a shell of a house. I didn't want to have the tense mood let from work.
    7. I didn't marry:move in the spouse until only like 5 days away from Adult. The house already had a nice shell and some moderate furnishings when I moved him in.
    8. When the heir was born i was worried my stay at home hubby wouldn't take care of her but surprisingly he was quite attentive!
    9. When she aged up to child I followed her around with one of the focus element cubes to get her focused. She actually autonomously did homework and even extra credit as a child. It was better too when I had a desk in her room. She would do homework in her room rather than at the kitchen table where other family would distract her!
    10. I used the aspiration rewards generously. I bought the carefree which means you won't be tense. This allowed me to work hard at work on my main sim and not be tense and bad-moody when she came home. I also bought the one for better paintings and books because she was a writer this increased my royalties on my book sales. I also got the reward for better luck at promotions. (Entrepreneur?). Switching aspirations often made all of these rewards possible.

Some new things I did...which was @Vihisha 's whole point originally to get you doing new and different things in your games:
    1. I never played before without controlling a sim and here I had 2 - a spouse and a child/teen.
    2. I had never been alien abducted before and even though it didn't change anything I was SO worried when she got abducted.
    3. I had never changed aspirations before and consequently never had more than a few thousand to spend over the life of a sim so I hadn't ever really done those before.
    4. I had never used the tea brewer to change moods or made popcorn either so those were fun when I was finalizing the build.
    5. I had never had to use "form group" so creatively before. Using it to get hubby to help me garden when the garden really had more than 9 plants it was taking too much time for one person. I also grouped to make hubby workout when he kept eating nothing but the excellent birthday cakes I made. Haha.

Anyway I really enjoyed this challenge and really stretched how I played the game. I can see why people choose to Drift only after trying it for the first time! It was an amazing way to play the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    cshaner wrote: »
    @Vihisha thanks for adding me! This was more a just for fun though and I don't know if I'll be updating it or not. I'd like to actually write a story around my drifters. I'll for sure let you know if I start another challenge I'm interested to see how things change on a second run through. I also may like to make a different style house for the Southwest/desert feel of Oasis Springs.
    Sure thing! Just keep me posted! =)
    & 4 the record...your nest post...AMAZING!!
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    New Channel on YouTube with Drifter content has been added! =)
    -Tinaphetamine ~ https://www.youtube.com/user/Tinaphetamine/featured
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    Wanted to let you I'm doing good. Found a cow plant the 1st day out. As of now I have found 3 cow plants and a voodoo doll. Plus I have complete the Curator Aspirations with the Sugar Skull collection. Now to start building.
  • Options
    @cshaner congrats on finishing House 001. I really like how you gave the highlights for your strategy behind the spoiler. cool idea! :)

DebraF63 Great progress so far! I LOVE the cowplants.
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    @AllieMac Thank you for the compliment! Like I said, this was more a test for me, not necessarily played like a story so perhaps I did things a bit more min/max then I would do if I were actually trying to portray a story.

I'd be really interested now that I finished my first version of House 001, seeing other people's strategy and tips they have done as well!
  • Options
    I'll try to remember to put something up when I'm closer to the end about strategy. I am doing it different this time than my first go round, but that's for story purposes. I don't want to give any spoilers, but it will become obvious hopefully soon. Then I can start bellyaching about my approach. hehe There's one aspect that's driving me absolutely batty right now. I hope to get over that hurdle over the weekend though.
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    @AllieMac I'd also be interested if people impose additional restrictions upon themselves as well. Maybe things like, my Sim hates eating raw food other than fruit or something. Like no eating onions when your character is very hungry... Just little things I've been thinking about next run through to see if I can make it a bit more realistic.

I was also considering because having gotten the whirlyflower frog early on that I may make my own restriction next time of it's ok to sell the frogs I find, but I'm not allowed to keep and breed any frog worth more than $50. So that occasional Oooh! Yay larger influx, but not the steady stream of $160 every 4 hours (or how ever often you can breed).
  • Options
    @Cshaner I like that idea of something like so-and-so won't eat blah-blah. Could be like an allergy. One thing I stick with is I let the game dress and pick hairstyles for all my simmies except my heir when they begin the next house. They're the only one I give a make-over to. I also randomize all traits and beginning aspirations (including the heirs).

As far as the frog thing, @Vihisha has lured you into a false sense of security with this House. Things get dramatically tougher when you move up the ladder. Other than collecting at the very beginning (just seems more realistic to start out that way for me), there rarely seems to be time to do it other than maybe the first couple of days. It just becomes too time consuming considering all the other goals that need to be met. But I'd definitely be curious to know if you add any extra restrictions. So keep us posted. :)
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    @AllieMac I saw that House 002 has (behind spoiler for those who haven't peeked at House 002 yet)
    an unemployed spouse coming from the service industry, and completing the Outdoor Retreat aspiration. Plus a bigger house requirement on a smaller (or comparable maybe...it feels smaller) lot.
    So yeah, tougher for sure.

Anyway, my drifter homes are on hold now...since my PC issues...I have to restart my legacy and orphan challenge from scratch as I lost all my game saves. I was hoping to recover them, but it's going to be far too expensive.
  • Options

PAOLO'S VISIT

Riding high on the success of her children’s book, Annie decides to take another chance. When Paolo calls saying he’ll be in the neighborhood and asking if she’d like some company, she immediately says yes.
    9wfdXXQ.jpg
    He arrives a little sooner than she’s expecting. In fact, he’s there within moments of ending the phone call.

Spend the day with Annie and Paolo... 7. Paolo's Visit

7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    @IllusoryThrall Thanks!! I should be posting the next part here in just a bit. I've got 8 chapters held in reserve now I think. And a few more to write up today before I get back in game. I may just start posting doubles for a few days, not sure yet though.
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options

SURPRISE!

Annie: “Where are we? And why can’t I turn around?”
    Paolo: “We’re still in Oasis Springs.”
    Annie repeats: “And why can’t I turn around?”
    Paolo: “Remember how I was texting with my sister yesterday?”
    Annie: “Seeing as how jealous I got. Of course I remember.”
    Paolo: “Well this is what we were discussing. She knew I would want to be the one to show you.”
    Annie: “Show me what?!?”
    P15RaE8.jpg
    Paolo barely holding in his excitement: “Ready?”
    Annie: “YES!!”
    Paolo: “Turn around.”

To find out the big secret... 8. Surprise!

7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
  • Options
    LumpyGravyLumpyGravy Posts: 38 Member
    I am getting ready to start this.... But when you download the pre-setup.. is there suppose to be a restaurant in Oasis Springs or you build your own? If you build your own do you build it from scratch or do you import one?
  • Options
    DebraF63 wrote: »
    Wanted to let you I'm doing good. Found a cow plant the 1st day out. As of now I have found 3 cow plants and a voodoo doll. Plus I have complete the Curator Aspirations with the Sugar Skull collection. Now to start building.
    Wow...that's pretty awesome!! =)

LumpyGravy wrote: »
    I am getting ready to start this.... But when you download the pre-setup.. is there suppose to be a restaurant in Oasis Springs or you build your own? If you build your own do you build it from scratch or do you import one?
    Hello & welcome @LumpyGravy =)
    U will have 2 place a Restaurant venue...there is not 1 included in the save! U can build or download 1 from the Gallery or use 1 of the EA created 1's in your Library =)
    rXyqmuX.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top