Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any Way To Prevent Roof Clipping In Open Floor Rooms?

MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
edited March 2015 in The Sims 4 Lots
Hey everyone! I'm currently being driven insane by build mode and in particular the roofing/room tools. I've created a house and I would like the entrance to have an open ceiling above it. There are two staircases in the room. Every time I box the upstairs room off to delete the floor (and create the desired open look) the roof covering the external porches clips right into the house. I'm pretty sure this is a bug but is there any workaround for it that anyone knows of? If we could just delete individual floor tiles I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem; the fact is that my game is struggling to decide which bits are rooms and which aren't when I complete the room with a fence. Key thing is, if I complete the room with walls it doesn't clip UNTIL I delete them. With the fences it just clips immediately. I have included some pictures to help explain the problem. Thank you! :)

03-05-15_12-25nbspPM_zpsldsnack3.png

03-05-15_12-25nbspPM-2_zpsr28ifqlr.png

03-05-15_12-26nbspPM_zpsyq35vk3n.png

03-05-15_12-26nbspPM-2_zpso05msljk.png
tFU6JMe.png

Comments

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    It's a pretty common problem, @Moodbeamy. If the game doesn't consider an area a room, then the roof on that level will clip into it. Based on the pictures you've posted, the simplest solution in your case is probably to 1) wall off that area with the roof protruding through in the front where you have it bumped out a tile and 2) redraw a room around the roofing on the side and then delete the unwanted walls. Another thing to keep in mind is that roofing on other levels won't clip into this level, so you can also try redrawing your roofing from above or below (can work in some cases depending on what the roof needs to look like).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    It's incredibly frustrating. Any time you try to close off an interior space with fencing, the roofing will encroach. I don't think it always did this, but it certainly has been a problem for the last couple of months. I've personally taken to using the arches with fencing (found in the "windows" section of the build screen) in place of interior fencing. But it's definitely annoying.

There are a couple of things you could do, though, to get around it. Adjusting the eaves on various roof parts can help, but it doesn't look like that would solve your specific problems. Instead, you could break your roofing up into smaller pieces. Pull your existing roofing pieces away from the wall by one square, and use half-hipped roofing pieces to fill in the gap.

Hopefully they'll fix the issue with interior fencing. But until they do, the half-hipped roof is your best friend.
  • NazguneNazgune Posts: 64 Member
    Hie everyone. I've been struggling with that problem for a while, trying all I could to open my floor without having my roofs showing. I managed to do it, I don't know how, and sadly I cant post screenshots of it yet.
    I'm still trying to figure out what exactly caused my situation to work, and if anyone has some new explanations, please share them.
  • withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    I have stopped trying to get it to work! Now I use multiple roofs to avoid having the roof actually go into the space.

For your half-hipped roof situation, I would have one half-hipped roof that goes from left to right but is only as deep as the front of the extended room. Then I would have another half-hipped roof rotated 90 degrees that goes from the front to the back and goes all the way to the side of the extension without going through it and then mirror it on the other side.

I copy the roofs so they have the same slope. The roofs overlap well and play nicely with each other so it can be an alternative that allows you to have the same space configuration without the roof going into the house.
  • danitheidiot_3danitheidiot_3 Posts: 1 New Member
    Can we talk about how this has been a problem since at least March 2015, and it’s 2020. It’s 40 minutes away from 2021 which would make it six years that we’ve been complaining about this easily fixable problem.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited January 2021
    I had to scrap an entire build because of this same exact glitch. It is helpful to try to limit lofts to inside walls.

In your situation, I would make the roof at the top of the picture go away by building a 1x4 ledge up against the far northern wall. For the roof at the right side of the pic, I would adjust the overhang arrow to short.

I hope this helps and hopefully this will get fixed soon.
  • LululuciLululuci Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm disappointed that this is still an issue. I'm trying to make a loft in an octagon shaped house and this issue has been killing me. I'm using the octagon roof on the whole floor to create roofing around the house and unfortunately can't find a way to mimic the look with other roofs due to the octagon shape. I can get the loft to work by building a custom room around the whole second floor after placing the fencing and deleting the floor, but once I leave the game and come back the floor reappears. Hopefully EA fixes this someday :neutral:
  • DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    It's actually even gotten "worse", cause now using platforms on outside walls causes the exact same issue, it turns the entire room into an outside one, hence protruding roofs and all that jazz.
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I have had the same problem, I'm working on a legacy build with some platforms and a loft and the roofing is driving me CRAZY. I've ended up doing what julien mentioned above with using multiple roofs and adjusting the overhangs on certain ones hoping they don't clip into the rooms. I've also just rearranged the rooms so that there is less roof showing inside.

Roofing is my enemy.
  • LilweenjLilweenj Posts: 34 Member
    Yes, it's a bit strange it only happens from time to time. The worst for me are diagonals, I've noticed it happens a lot more with these.
    edited February 2021
    Anyone know of an easy way to create a 'vide' without fencing? My way is very elaborate.... I did find out a bit of a workaround for the clipping roofs this way though, does NOT work on eaves sadly, just normal roofs:

Also, I am not sure how this workaround survives gallery uploads and downloads, since you basically create 1 room both with and without floor. It tends to bug a bit with the gallery.

First, draw a room over the (ground floor) area where (on the first floor) the stairs will NOT remove the ceiling, remove the ceiling and the drawn walls of the room, but the room has to remain separate (if you click it, it is a different entity from the complete area) Stairs can not be placed for this part, since the area runs partly under the stairs
    h1OGPm8.png

Then, place the staircase and go upstairs, draw a wall where the floor appeared
    WFz3TSk.png

Remove the floor of the newly drawn room and (important!!) use the room draw tool to 'recreate' the room, see the red dots. This will make the entire area a room, but will NOT replace the bit of floor you just removed.
    GD2iLX9.png

final result with roof pulled into the building, not cutting into the vide
    1zAgYcq.png

Does NOT work with extended eaves! (Sadly)
    ChrH32C.png
    Post edited by DeanXeL on
  • LadyAJLadyAJ Posts: 1 New Member
    > @DeanXeL said:
    > Anyone know of an easy way to create a 'vide' without fencing? My way is very elaborate.... I did find out a bit of a workaround for the clipping roofs this way though, does NOT work on eaves sadly, just normal roofs:
    >
    > Also, I am not sure how this workaround survives gallery uploads and downloads, since you basically create 1 room both with and without floor. It tends to bug a bit with the gallery.
    >
    > First, draw a room over the (ground floor) area where (on the first floor) the stairs will NOT remove the ceiling, remove the ceiling and the drawn walls of the room, but the room has to remain separate (if you click it, it is a different entity from the complete area) Stairs can not be placed for this part, since the area runs partly under the stairs
    >
    >
    >
    > Then, place the staircase and go upstairs, draw a wall where the floor appeared
    >
    >
    > Remove the floor of the newly drawn room and (important!!) use the room draw tool to 'recreate' the room, see the red dots. This will make the entire area a room, but will NOT replace the bit of floor you just removed.
    >
    >
    >
    > final result with roof pulled into the building, not cutting into the vide
    >
    >
    > Does NOT work with extended eaves! (Sadly)

You are my SAVIOR. I literally just created an account on here for the first time just to tell you how amazing you are. That fixed it. You are an amazing and wonderful person and I hope you have a day to match.
    @LadyAJ Oh wow, thank you, I am so very flattered :D just don't be too disappointed now if it turns out not to work on a more permanent basis :O tends to be a bit glitchy for me sometimes :)
    edited January 2022
    I apologize for posting here, since the thread was non-active for a while, but in the meantime I did find a full workaround that works and sticks! (only for PC players, since you do need TOOL for this :( )

https://youtu.be/2hRu7D4Wa3k
    Post edited by DeanXeL on
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    DeanXeL wrote: »
    Anyone know of an easy way to create a 'vide' without fencing? My way is very elaborate.... I did find out a bit of a workaround for the clipping roofs this way though, does NOT work on eaves sadly, just normal roofs:

Also, I am not sure how this workaround survives gallery uploads and downloads, since you basically create 1 room both with and without floor. It tends to bug a bit with the gallery.

First, draw a room over the (ground floor) area where (on the first floor) the stairs will NOT remove the ceiling, remove the ceiling and the drawn walls of the room, but the room has to remain separate (if you click it, it is a different entity from the complete area) Stairs can not be placed for this part, since the area runs partly under the stairs
    h1OGPm8.png

Then, place the staircase and go upstairs, draw a wall where the floor appeared
    WFz3TSk.png

Remove the floor of the newly drawn room and (important!!) use the room draw tool to 'recreate' the room, see the red dots. This will make the entire area a room, but will NOT replace the bit of floor you just removed.
    GD2iLX9.png

final result with roof pulled into the building, not cutting into the vide
    1zAgYcq.png

Does NOT work with extended eaves! (Sadly)
    ChrH32C.png

You can solve that issue in the last pic by clicking on the roof, grab the little triangles at the corner of the portion that’s inside and before you do anything else press the shift key. With the shift key engaged push the eaves of the roof in towards the roof. This a will retract the eaves on just that one side of the roof. They should no longer clip into your room, but still be extended on the other 3 sides.
    @Pamtastic72, using shift doesn't work on hipped roofs or round ones sadly.
    Also, the workaround you quoted is from almost a year ago and doesn't work permanently, it always resets on visiting manage worlds.
    The video I posted uses a new/different workaround and does not have the eaves issue anyway ;-)

https://youtu.be/MQLkP9VGT-4
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    DeanXeL wrote: »
    @Pamtastic72, using shift doesn't work on hipped roofs or round ones sadly.
    Also, the workaround you quoted is from almost a year ago and doesn't work permanently, it always resets on visiting manage worlds.
    The video I posted uses a new/different workaround and does not have the eaves issue anyway ;-)

https://youtu.be/MQLkP9VGT-4

Actually in that application after looking again @DeanXeL, I would have used the half hipped roof instead which would in fact solve the issue entirely without a need for a work around of any kind.