Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moderators - you have a problem here.

Having moderated boards before, I can understand that there is no such thing as omniscience. Nor can it be easy to completely deter a determined troll.

However, this forum has a serious issue in the form of serial troll stalkers and/or trolls who use incredibly vile methods/images to shock the forum populace.

Is there a reason these trolls take so long to get banned after the initial reports? We had a new one today initially attacking "Sims 3 fans" and then commenting that the responses caused "her" to trigger and cut herself. 4 threads were closed but the account was STILL unbanned.

Why? Is there something more we as fans can do to help you out? Or is there something we shouldn't be doing? We need to have better protection - a troll account should be locked down BEFORE the threads frankly and that's not happening. And more so, given the nature of some of the posts and images being used, can we at least assume you moderators pass this up the chain to be investigated?

I apologize if this topic is perhaps not proper for this area but after finding out that a couple of folks actually ventured to verify some of the troll's taunting posts and finding disturbing content there, it begs the question of why are these accounts allowed to stay loose for so long. It would be great if we could at least get some kind of top down information - we don't expect you to share details of who's behind it, etc as that's simply not for us to know, but we are powerless to stop these people outside of trying to derail/bury their things with nonsensical content (since if the thread is ignored, they will keep bumping it on their own) and even understanding why accounts are left untouched for awhile might at least shed some light on the situation.

Anyway, I (and I'm sure many here) do appreciate that you've upped your game in many ways, but I think the biggest issue is still a problem and causing unnecessary trauma to your fanbase who should be protected from having to contend with that on a GAMING forum.
y9UdOhq.png
"My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~

Comments

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    This is my feeling about the issue and i had to take a step away from the forums when this was all happening as it's very emotional for me to see a person that doesn't value their own life.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but moderators from EA did say in the guru talk thread that their net was down to day. That was perfect time for that troll to take advantage of an unsupervised board which is why i think the response time took so long. It seemed like this methods was outside their control.

Equally these people target times of the day where they know moderation is not on or not working.

I think we as simmers can help by one not responding to these people but hitting the report button.

When we respond even if negative we've shown to them they have center stage and we fuel their goal to get attention. It than starts to esculate to get more attention. For some individuals who aren't healthy that includes using any methods neccessary to do so.

Now the account may not have been banned right away because guru's could have been contacting authorities and following procedure to calm the individual down i don't know, it seemed to me when they finally got access back to the net they tried to get things under control. I don't actually know i am just taking a guess.

Again i like to point people back to my thread. Right now we have a forum that says it is okay to reward that kind of behavior. that person wanted to be congratulated and get attention for bashing other people. People hitting the like button on those posts show this to a new user that to get popular here you have to misbehave etc.

Please than show support for my thread on all the methods i listed to help urge forum change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I wasn't actually here for the event, but I did want to make a couple of suggestions:

1. If they don't already, mods should have a list of resources like prevention hotlines and other places for anyone who threatens self-harm to get help.

2. Since this isn't the first time, maybe it's a good idea to have a note in the forum rules that people should take suicide threats seriously and not taunt the user. It only adds fuel to the fire. Instead, they should report the post using the flag button or PM a moderator or @SimGuruBChick and leave it alone.

Not everyone will listen, but maybe some would and that would cut down on the feeling that 'everyone' is ganging up or against a troubled user. (Depending on how things went today or in the past since there have been others, perhaps a note not to counsel distressed users might also be included. Leave it to the professionals and those with training.)

3. The moderators here and/or other members who run their own forums may want to read the advice given by a professional moderator/administrator in the Vanilla Blog on suicide threats and how to handle them.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    I wasn't actually here for the event, but I did want to make a couple of suggestions:

1. If they don't already, mods should have a list of resources like prevention hotlines and other places for anyone who threatens self-harm to get help.

2. Since this isn't the first time, maybe it's a good idea to have a note in the forum rules that people should take suicide threats seriously and not taunt the user. It only adds fuel to the fire. Instead, they should report the post using the flag button or PM a moderator or @SimGuruBChick and leave it alone.

Not everyone will listen, but maybe some would and that would cut down on the feeling that 'everyone' is ganging up or against a troubled user. (Depending on how things went today or in the past since there have been others, perhaps a note not to counsel distressed users might also be included. Leave it to the professionals and those with training.)

3. The moderators here and/or other members who run their own forums may want to read the advice given by a professional moderator/administrator in the Vanilla Blog on suicide threats and how to handle them.

Thank you for this very thoughtful and helpful post. I agree that there are topics that absolutely should be against forum rules and need to be dealt with immediately. And, it's also true that someone posting about the topics listed in the OP are possibly written by someone who is trolling and trying to disrupt and cause problems. But, it's also true that there could be someone who is truly in pain and truly in trouble and could use the resources for help. I know this is a game forum. I know that it isn't the responsibility of a game forum to deal with various issues that have nothing to do with the game but I think a list of a few resources could end up helping someone who is in pain and in need of help.
  • Options
    Mandylcd wrote: »

Thank you for this very thoughtful and helpful post. I agree that there are topics that absolutely should be against forum rules and need to be dealt with immediately. And, it's also true that someone posting about the topics listed in the OP are possibly written by someone who is trolling and trying to disrupt and cause problems. But, it's also true that there could be someone who is truly in pain and truly in trouble and could use the resources for help. I know this is a game forum. I know that it isn't the responsibility of a game forum to deal with various issues that have nothing to do with the game but I think a list of a few resources could end up helping someone who is in pain and in need of help.

I agree. And, since we're not all professional psychologists and psychiatrists, it would be foolish for us to assume that we can tell the insincere troll posts from the really troubled users.

It's also my personal opinion that anyone who does something like this could benefit from getting some help in some area of his or her life, whether he or she is serious about the self-harm threat or not. It is an extremely negative means of getting attention and something is wrong enough to make him or her do that. So, it's good to try to point them in the direction of real help.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    @greenXen and @Mandylcd - I can certainly agree that none of us are professionals, but I have to admit to also a healthy dose of skepticism that anything we saw today was a cry for help.

We have endured a wide array of awful things here and while I would feel absolutely awful if at the end of the day this WAS someone needing help, I have to question the validity of "needing help" and creating a new account on a game forum, trolling a subset of fans and THEN immediately going for the "I'm going to start cutting myself!" angle. And it's not as if this is something new or unique in the scheme of trolls that attack these boards.

At the end of the day, I want to hope that if it IS someone in help, they find it - but this isn't the place to seek it, much less using the types of tactics there were employed today.

If the mods were legitimately handicapped by connectivity problems, then I am very sorry for doubting their speed/response times there - if not however, it's still an area that needs improvement.

We come here to discuss games/have some silly moments among like-minded people, whether we agree or disagree at the end of the day. Having to wade through sexually depraved images, repeated spam topics and people trying to emotionally batter folks here is not what any of us signed up for.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    As you pointed out, coming to a gaming forum and broadcasting suicide threats is not normal behavior. But, people who do this kind of thing, troll or otherwise, are not thinking clearly or logically when they do something like that. People can lash out in unpredictable ways and taking an antagonistic approach isn't always the best. This type of poster needs help (not necessarily suicide prevention) even if it's only in the form of developing some better social skills. And, since we can guess, but can't say for certain that someone is or isn't serious, I don't think we should even try. The consequences of being wrong are too great.

As far as a faster mod response and a better way of handling this, I agree. I posted extensively about the earlier troll storms and the need to address it better earlier. And, honestly, there is less of that going on, but they could still stand to improve how these issues are handled.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    today was unsettling to say the least and thank you crackseed your thread is very thoughtful and needed. and sadly it seems the forum will continue to have real life situations crop up and i do hope something can be added to make all of us better equipped for the next time .

here's how i saw today. it was an acct that was classified as new because of the current rules here but it was an acct that was created in the old forum. this person just wasnt very active. my take probably like many accts more lurking then posting.

for sure the statements posted today could have been fabricated but sadly it equally could have been all real based on the graphic pix on twitter.

something else that is just a hunch, that the threads may have been closed by the system and not a mod. or perhaps it was CE closing threads. and this could account for why the threads were locked but the acct was still able to be active.

@greenXen your link re how to deal with suicide threats is very helpful and a good spring board to ask gurus if its possible to have the option something like in the old forum to merely suspend an acct. i know vanilla has the option to quarantine an acct's activity for individual accts. i just wonder if there is a way during off hours or whenever i guess if a certain reasonable, not too high or to low, number of people report a certain type of offense the system automatically temporarily disables all forum privileges for the acct until reviewed by simstaff or guru.

another thing made clear to me today, all those that are trolling are in pain and the shorter amount of time they can at anytime here be disruptive is as beneficial to them as it is to this community.
  • Options
    @Ceejay, yeah. Didn't we have that for a while with the adult pic spammer? After 10 or so of the same flag it would auto-hide posts. Now that they have the ignore feature working better, maybe the auto-hide would work better as well.
  • Options
    In hindsight, I think this was a rare case of where we should have definitely played hands-off with the thread no matter how much we feel it may have been a troll looking to get a rise out of us.

I'm not above saying "Sorry" when I'm wrong so, again - as much as my gut says one thing, the reality is if I was wrong, it could have been quite detrimental.

The point still stands though in that we need a quicker turn-around and lockdown. Whether it's a legitimate cry for help or a troll going hogwild on us, account lockdown should be first so there's no recurring threads coming out. Every thread just adds fuel to the fire and even if we're trying to stand hands off to help the mods, SOMEONE is going to bite and go in there or look at whatever they are posting :\
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    oh for the love of... if the cutting threat was real, that person needs some professional help and stay the hell away from this forum. and if it's trolling, I hope someone knock some sense into him/her. Suicide or self harm, is no joke.
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Ceejay, yeah. Didn't we have that for a while with the adult pic spammer? After 10 or so of the same flag it would auto-hide posts. Now that they have the ignore feature working better, maybe the auto-hide would work better as well.

Is this true? See, this is kind of what I want to find out by making this post.

If there are new measures in place that auto-suppress harmful threads then reporting becomes far more effective. I've been lowkey on these boards for a few months but I haven't seen anywhere that details some of the anti-troll features available, which would be helpful!

Before I left we literally had to try and derail/blast a thread off topic till the mods got to it because there was no other way to keep the troll from inundating multiple threads, etc with their filth.

Hell the ignore feature broke the way the forum looked and we were limited to 5 ignores. Has that been upped?

If that tactic is going the way of the dinosaur because there's smarter rules in place, it would be great to know this so I don't feel like I'm making a pest out of myself xD
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Crackseed wrote: »
    In hindsight, I think this was a rare case of where we should have definitely played hands-off with the thread no matter how much we feel it may have been a troll looking to get a rise out of us.

I'm not above saying "Sorry" when I'm wrong so, again - as much as my gut says one thing, the reality is if I was wrong, it could have been quite detrimental.

The point still stands though in that we need a quicker turn-around and lockdown. Whether it's a legitimate cry for help or a troll going hogwild on us, account lockdown should be first so there's no recurring threads coming out. Every thread just adds fuel to the fire and even if we're trying to stand hands off to help the mods, SOMEONE is going to bite and go in there or look at whatever they are posting :\

Aww, Crack, it takes a big man to apologize.

Stopping the account from posting more before thread clean up is not a bad idea. I did see this done at least once with an adult pic spammer. It was clearly a Guru doing it though and I'm not sure if the obstacle there mightn't be that all the mods can delete threads, but only Gurus or a few mods can block accounts.
  • Options

Aww, Crack, it takes a big man to apologize.

Stopping the account from posting more before thread clean up is not a bad idea. I did see this done at least once with an adult pic spammer. It was clearly a Guru doing it though and I'm not sure if the obstacle there mightn't be that all the mods can delete threads, but only Gurus or a few mods can block accounts.

Yeah, not knowing the hierarchy and who has ban rights makes this a tougher thing to debate, but locking down the account to me should always be the first tactic, then you clean up their mess after versus now, threads are closed while the account is untouched for longer and you just get this chain reaction.

When it's harmless/dumb trolls and we batter it down with silly things till it vanishes, this isn't such a big deal. But situations like today or the adult pic crud, that's rough and it damages the equilibrium of the forums, which is sad because this is a place to unwind and talk.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Crackseed, I don't use the ignore feature, so I don't know first hand, but many people have said it's 'fixed'. I know the limit was up to 5,000 and others report it doesn't break the threads anymore.

Edit: And, yes, I agree with your last post.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Crackseed, I don't use the ignore feature, so I don't know first hand, but many people have said it's 'fixed'. I know the limit was up to 5,000 and others report it doesn't break the threads anymore.

Edit: And, yes, I agree with your last post.

Yeah it is fixed - I've got a couple people on there and it works QUITE well now. Though it's always funny that if a person on ignore makes a thread, you can still see THAT post or if they are quoted haha :)

5000 limit? Well then >.> *preps squelch gun*
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    Actually, that might also be a good thing to remind people of in the forum rules. They can put some of these people on their ignore lists now, so they aren't exposed to so much.
  • Options

exactly! im just hoping there is way we can add it for super big stuff that involves suspending the acct vs. hiding posting
  • Options
    Actually, that might also be a good thing to remind people of in the forum rules. They can put some of these people on their ignore lists now, so they aren't exposed to so much.

Pretty much - back when the ignore list was 5, you couldn't afford to just flip the switch on every troll account that showed up. Now, if it's 5k? Hahahaha.

*stuffs ALL the trolls in the derp-a-derp bag*
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options

rare for sure and you said it best when you said to me that we are not responsible for this person's action. today was a shocking and different and you were merely trying to make a bad situation less bad while we waited for the mods to kick in a ban, what none of us were expecting it turning into potentially a bigger darker situation.

again my take away the forum's security has improved but it still needs more tweaking to keep us all safe.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    I've moderated/administered forums for over a decade and even I can tell you things could be a lot better around here if they could just simply entrust some of their simmers with that kind of privilege. This forum can definitely use the extra 'volunteer' hands.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    Trowiciaaa wrote: »
    I've moderated/administered forums for over a decade and even I can tell you things could be a lot better around here if they could just simply entrust some of their simmers with that kind of privilege. This forum can definitely use the extra 'volunteer' hands.

That and/or requiring registering of a game to access certain forum sections (have a newbie/question area for people on the fence, etc)
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Yeah more mods would be a really good idea. There just don't seem to be enough mods for a forum this size. The Sim Gurus are supposed to be working on the actual game and shouldn't be expected to moderate the forums as well.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I agree with this. I saw a somewhat disturbing remark by what appeared to be a young boy yesterday who seemed very upset. (must have been taken off as I didn't see it later).

At least could we have a "Debating" area for those who keep boring most of us about the merits/demerits of versions of the games.

Simmers have to remember that some of the people using this forum are properly entitled to but are still very young and impressionable.
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    Hi all

Just wanted to drop in here to say a couple of things. First of all, the situation yesterday with that one poster talking self-harm was picked up very quickly and escalated up the reporting chain to ensure proper investigation and action by the appropriate authorities. What did not help the situation was several posters choosing to engage with the OP and aggravating the situation. We will be amending the Forum Rules to cover this kind of situation. The advice here is always to report the post. Don't engage. Assume the threat is real and report.

With regard to the way the forums are moderated, well, all I can say this is one of the most active forums I have ever been on. We have a lively and passionate community. We do rely on this community to self-moderate to a certain extent. The official moderators are impartial. We are the Switzerland in this context. We enforce the rules, we take action with rule-breakers and we facilitate peace accords. That's not an easy job. We appreciate the support and feedback we get from this community.

Thank you.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top