Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Miss Seeing The Whole Town.

The world map has bothered me for some time, and I couldn't put my finger on why until it suddenly dawned on me - we never actually get to see the whole town at once. All of the houses are greyed out until you hover over them, and even then it only shows you the one's you hover over.

This makes it hard to imagine what the town looks like as a whole because I've never actually seen it all at once. It's hard to describe, but I actually feel quite disconnected from the towns in a sense, because I don't have a clear visual of them.

I would love for the map to be completely filled in, to be able to see the roads connecting the neighbourhoods, and to see the tramway, and the river and the steamboat in Willow Creek - all at once. That would be amazing.

Does anyone else notice this? And do you mind it?
tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif

Comments

• UnseppiUnseppi Posts: 28 New Member
    Kind of like the sims 3 for PC?
    i really liked the way the town was set up where you can see absolutely everything.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It honestly doesn't bother me. I know they are connected by me and what I intend for them. I don't need a visual to see it because it's all in my head anyways.

Ieg. I know that 'Kathy' in Wc was made and created to eventually meet 'Brent' in Os. Kathy and Brent might be doing their thing, but in my mind they WILL meet. I direct my game and it's dynamics.

I don't need seeing the whole town or the roads they might travel to get there. Because they will get there.
  • MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    Ugh - it's really hard to put into words why to bothers me so much! Lol. But I'll try. I can't promise much though.

So this is our Sims 4 world (Oasis Springs):
    sims4-screenshot-176.jpg

Compared to Sims 3:
    Thesims3-90-1.jpg

And Sims 2:
    quartier116.jpg

I just wish we could see the details of the world in Sims 4! The hills and the valleys, the bridges and the skyscrapers - they're all alluded to, but we never get to see them properly!

I think the town map really contributes to the immersion in the game. For me it makes the game seem more alive and real. I guess I just miss the feel of a connected town. It's probably just me though!
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    What I miss is being able to edit the whole town, used to spend days if not weeks redoing the whole thing, even if I could redo what passes for towns in Sims 4, it would take about 30 minutes.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    edited February 2015
    I loved the neighborhood map in Sims 2 and 3, it felt cozy. The map in 4 leaves me cold.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sims4 has loading screens, Sims2 has loading screens

so why is Sims4 world so shrunken into a Sims1 format?

this makes no sense...except this IS the leftovers of a mobile game that was never intended to have lot adjustments

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I miss the neighborhood feel but more in a different way. In a way most people probably don't even think about, but maybe I'm just weird that way.

I miss seeing my neighbors at their homes. I miss hanging out at my house but being able to see life going on next door or across the street. Someone out raking leaves or playing in a leaf pile. Someone making a snowman or getting the mail. I miss seeing my neighbors walk into and out of their homes, coming and going to and from school, work, or just across town fishing or whatever. I miss seeing families in their back yards playing catch, or kids playing tag, having water balloon fights and so on.

Nobody might as well be my sim's neighbor in 4. Nobody comes or goes. Nobody plays in the yard. Nobody checks their mail, no activity at all. The houses are lifeless and dead. Just sims walking the route up the sidewalk, across the road, down the path, down a sidewalk and disappear.
  • ripley55ripley55 Posts: 28 New Member
    I dont like that the whole map view is grey. Why did they come up with such an idea? I hope it'll posible to change it for color version
    ripley55 wrote: »
    I dont like that the whole map view is grey. Why did they come up with such an idea? I hope it'll posible to change it for color version

Yeah that's my issue, really! It's an aesthetic thing. I think they were going for a minimalist theme to match the rest of the UI. But I'd prefer a colourful world so I can see all the details :)
  • SadieD123SadieD123 Posts: 1,317 Member

Yeah that's my issue, really! It's an aesthetic thing. I think they were going for a minimalist theme to match the rest of the UI. But I'd prefer a colourful world so I can see all the details :)

Yes, I agree but when there aren't any details to see then what's the point? I can see the justification for this that the Sims team probably thought of. I mean why show details when there aren't any. The game is pretty bare bones when it comes to details in the neighborhoods so that correlates over to the map. And plus, when you really can't even access these "details" and you can't do anything with them because they are basically there for decoration and not usable in anyway, then why not take the shortcut of just not putting them on the map? You wouldn't want them doing anything that's "too hard."

Honestly, it frustrates me with the amount of details that are there that I can't use in the game. There are so many houses and places and things in Sims 4 that is there that I can't even use! So many nice houses that can't be touched. A boat and trolley that I can't get on. It's frustrating looking at them in the game knowing that these things are just taking up space of actual things that I could have put in the game and been able to use. I mean, yes Sims 3 had rabbit holes. But I'd much rather have rabbit holes than decoration. At least my sims got something out of rabbit holes.
    275f503fc4c6c8ef197baeea76ebe0f91373200482_full_zpscc1a19512.gif
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    It would be good if they at least colored the map.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    It would be good if they at least colored the map.
    Too hard and too expensive.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • STATIONARYSTATIONARY Posts: 8 New Member
    Color would help, but the maps look like they went back in time when you could not add great detail to games.
  • OpulentiousOpulentious Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer the Sims 4 towns. I understand Sims 3 one's were perhaps more 'aesthetically-pleasing', but, god 🐸🐸🐸🐸, the lag. Sims 4 towns run much more smoothly, which I suppose is obvious. Sims 3 towns really weren't as friendly towards lower-end computers.
    My only concern with TS4 neighbourhoods would be the lack of customisation you can apply to them, other than that I'm content.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm with Jessa, so maybe I'm weird that way too ;)
    As far as I know OP, what you wish for is impossible in Sims 4, because there is no world map. The neighborhoods aren't really connected. Sims 2 doesn't have an open world either, but they created a map that makes sense. When you zoom out you see the same house next to yours as the house you can see when you go to your active family. Primitive maybe, but correct.

In Sims 4 the background is totally fake, there's no logic whatsoever. It's impossible to make a map because there is no map. That's a real problem for be. I can make up a lot in my head, but I can't create complete maps if what I see on my screen doesn't fit with what I imagine and doesn't make any sense.
    5JZ57S6.png
    As far as I know OP, what you wish for is impossible in Sims 4, because there is no world map. The neighborhoods aren't really connected. Sims 2 doesn't have an open world either, but they created a map that makes sense. When you zoom out you see the same house next to yours as the house you can see when you go to your active family. Primitive maybe, but correct.

In Sims 4 the background is totally fake, there's no logic whatsoever. It's impossible to make a map because there is no map. That's a real problem for be. I can make up a lot in my head, but I can't create complete maps if what I see on my screen doesn't fit with what I imagine and doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I'm the same - I'm finding it really difficult to imagine my Sims' world. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of this game, but I really miss the way town maps used to look.
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited February 2015
    because we have "low end machines" which can't handle more than one color por time then we need white/gray cities, you know we are in 2015 where we still leaving in caves and internet is by smoke signal :p:p
    that is worst excuse from ea anything is about the "low ending machines, we are having a "low ending game".
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2015

Yes, I'm the same - I'm finding it really difficult to imagine my Sims' world. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of this game, but I really miss the way town maps used to look.
    Not really related, but I therefor love the map Tolkien made for LOTR. When I read the books or watch the movies I always picture in my head where the Shire is, or Rivendell, or Isengard, Minas Tireth and Mordor and how the Anduin river flows.
    5JZ57S6.png

Not really related, but I therefor love the map Tolkien made for LOTR. When I read the books or watch the movies I always picture in my head where the Shire is, or Rivendell, or Isengard, Minas Tireth and Mordor and how the Anduin river flows.

OMG - yes! I love that map too! I love that I can visualise exactly where a scene from the book is taking place. And that's how I want to feel with world map in TS4. The map/visual aspect really does lend to the immersion!
  • lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    I don't really like the TS4 neighborhood map either. It's such a step back even from TS1.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    @MegandtheMoon: Imho that... "thing" there in Sims4 cannot even be called "town" imho. Most of it is even just facade.
    This space is for rent.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    The map does not feel alive at all. To me it very much looks and feels like a tablet/mobile game.

I'm disappointed with the map, it makes me feel like I really am playing a kids game. Lack of detail, gets colored in when your mouse hovers over it.
  • AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    Even the Sims 1 maps were less claustrophobic, IIRC.
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    I miss the neighborhood feel but more in a different way. In a way most people probably don't even think about, but maybe I'm just weird that way.

I miss seeing my neighbors at their homes. I miss hanging out at my house but being able to see life going on next door or across the street. Someone out raking leaves or playing in a leaf pile. Someone making a snowman or getting the mail. I miss seeing my neighbors walk into and out of their homes, coming and going to and from school, work, or just across town fishing or whatever. I miss seeing families in their back yards playing catch, or kids playing tag, having water balloon fights and so on.

Nobody might as well be my sim's neighbor in 4. Nobody comes or goes. Nobody plays in the yard. Nobody checks their mail, no activity at all. The houses are lifeless and dead. Just sims walking the route up the sidewalk, across the road, down the path, down a sidewalk and disappear.

If they could do something to the sim spawning and maybe put all the lots together at once so you don't need a load for every lot maybe the houses would look more full of life, come on EA you made the other lots look busy (I can hardly find a workout machine at the gym at day!) please do the same with neighborhoods!
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    TS4's map is dull, boring, and flat. I miss the true bird's eye view that we got in other games, even TS1, that made the town feel like a real town. Like you were viewing it in real time from up above. It really added to the whole "god" aspect of the game. I felt like I was surveying my town and my people. With TS4 it just feels lifeless.
    IHJCfa6.jpg