Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can this be acceptable?

Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
edited February 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So as time passes on and DLC becomes the norm in most games these days and the costs of these. Looking at the current costs of DLC for other games in comparison to the Sims makes other games look super cheap in comparison. $20 for a tiny tiny bit of extra stuff to do while in other games $20 gets you practically another (short) game all together, yet for $40 gives.... WAIT... $40. . . You can buy the base game for that or less (depending where you buy from)
How is it acceptable to pay full price for something that is simply extended content that in other games costs $20 at most?!
Unless you are getting 100% extra content from it, there's no reason to pay full bloated price.
[Comment removed by moderator as it contains inappropriate content.]

$40 for dlc in today's gaming... HEH what a joke.
IRJsECv.png
Post edited by SimGuruBChick on

Comments

• Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    lets see...in the first 7 months of sims 4...what could the possible expenses be?

$70 premium edition
    +
    $30 Prima Guide
    +
    $20 OutdoorLife pack
    +
    $40 Gotowork pack

=

$ 160

:\

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    lets see...in the first 7 months of sims 4...what could the possible expenses be?

$70 premium edition
    +
    $30 Prima Guide
    +
    $20 OutdoorLife pack
    +
    $40 Gotowork pack

=

$ 160

:\

I had the Deluxe edition for $50 at launch.
    Outdoor life doesn't even look $20 worth, maybe like $5
    Go to work looks more what you would expect for $20

Hell even Battlefield premiums that are the same price have far more content since with that you get all maps and weapons that come out.

I know that in the past Sims did "Expansion packs" that cost this much but times have changed and what they consider "expansion" is nothing more than dlc.
    IRJsECv.png
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited February 2015
    This is EAs pricing policy ... at Steam Sims 3 and EPs were (and are) usually sold at very reasonable prices during summer and winter sales (encouraging people to buy all EPs (which btw. I did). Sims 4 unfortunately (and I guess partially exactly for this reason) won´t get sold on Steam).

At the time when Sims 2 was the "current Sims-Game" new EPs for Sims 2 IIRC sold for 20-30 € in Brick & Mortar stores (compared to 40 € for the new Sims 4 EP at Amazon)
    Proteus42 wrote: »
    This is EAs pricing policy ... at Steam Sims 3 and EPs were (and are) usually sold at very reasonable prices during summer and winter sales (encouraging people to buy all EPs (which btw. I did). Sims 4 unfortunately (and I guess partially exactly for this reason) won´t get sold on Steam).

At the time when Sims 2 was the "current Sims-Game" new EPs for Sims 2 IIRC sold for 20-30 € in Brick & Mortar stores (compared to 40 € for the new Sims 4 EP at Amazon)

I don't understand why EA treats Sims players like a completely different group of people since their other games are nowhere on this level of ripoff.
    HECK proof is shown with Titanfall and how hyped that game was you can usually buy it for $10.
    IRJsECv.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    What is the point in the Prima Guide for Sims if someone buys it clearly it must be worth it to them, I've sure never needed it for The Sims.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah the Sims 2 series I think was the last feeling of getting the most bang with your buck. The Sims 3 started the trend of just releasing more EPs and SPs rather than fix major bugs and features in the base game. I think the Sims 4 is following the same trend of the Sims 3. I fear for what the Sims 5 will be like. When comments keep occurring like, "I don't like that feature, I'm glad it is gone" the series is going to be more and more stripped down. I just really miss toddlers and it sucks that they weren't important enough to be included just because silly walks and bipolar emotions matter more than core features of the franchise. The Sims 1 and 2 I got excited knowing what the next game was going to be and I got a guide included with the game. Believe me, I wasn't even happy in the Sims 3 when hot tubs got taken out either. I've never seen the series so sad and with the excuses of things being too hard and too expensive to do. I didn't ask EA to use an engine in which everything seems impossible to do. With the Sims being around 15 years, I expect better.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member
    Where I live the prices are:

The Sims 4 Collector's Edition - $140
    The Sims 4 Limited Edition - $100
    The Sims 4 Standard Edition - $100
    Outdoor Retreat - $40
    Get To Work - $60

That's $200 minimum if you buy limited or standard and $240 if you buy the collector's edition, so yeah, we pay so much and the exchange rates aren't even that high .-. You guys are lucky to get the games that cheap, the cheapest The Sims games ever got were about 20 dollars for stuff packs, 30 for expansions and 40 for the base game :c
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Outdoor Retreat has a ton of content including animation and gameplay. Most people in the Outdoor Retreat have been saying it's a bargain compared to Sims 3 added content.

Pricing in certain countries is a whole other issue, and is an industry-wide problem.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I paid $20 for OR and it was well worth it. Not only were there build/buy and CAS items but new game play as well.
    Stuff packs for TS2 and 3 were $20 and there were very few that were worth it and Happy Holiday Stuff is the only one that I can think of that gave additional game play.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    You get what you play for - pun intended! It's totally subjective as to how well you find an EP or GP adds to your game. I thought the game pack was brilliant and added a LOT to my game, but I use the things that the pack added constantly. The pack might not have suited some people, or contained things they would use but it matched my play style perfectly. I think the GP was worth it and I personally feel I got more than I was expecting for the money.
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited February 2015
    Fiever7 wrote: »
    So as time passes on and DLC becomes the norm in most games these days and the costs of these. Looking at the current costs of DLC for other games in comparison to the Sims makes other games look super cheap in comparison. $20 for a tiny tiny bit of extra stuff to do while in other games $20 gets you practically another (short) game all together, yet for $40 gives.... WAIT... $40. . . You can buy the base game for that or less (depending where you buy from)
    How is it acceptable to pay full price for something that is simply extended content that in other games costs $20 at most?!
    Unless you are getting 100% extra content from it, there's no reason to pay full bloated price.
    Yet people seem to let EA bend them over and take it.

I do not accept this for sure but as long as there are people who do, EA will not change this or anything else regarding Sims 4 for the better.
    You want change? Show EA by either not accepting this.

This space is for rent.
    Cyron43 wrote: »

I do not accept this for sure but as long as there are people who do, EA will not change this or anything else regarding Sims 4 for the better.

I'm not going to. now if theres an awesome sale then I might buy them, but for sure not at full price
    IRJsECv.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Outdoor Retreat has a ton of content including animation and gameplay. Most people in the Outdoor Retreat have been saying it's a bargain compared to Sims 3 added content.

Pricing in certain countries is a whole other issue, and is an industry-wide problem.

This is very true and GTW is nothing compared to previous EP's the pack actually brings a lot of new content to the game and the series from the trailers we have seen so far, there are at least 18 new hairs, at least! We never had such amount of it in previous EP plus all the ~30 items/cas parts we can unlock through the three new careers, the ones we have already with the base game plus a new lifestage and we are yet to see how the business works as well as work goals which is the gameplay. HA and it brings new districts plus the alien dimension.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »

I'm not going to. now if theres an awesome sale then I might buy them, but for sure not at full price

Which, I guess, is exactly the clevr strategy.
    Those who cannot wait will buy the game (and its EPs/SPs/GPs) at its full (and rather high) price ...
    the rest will buy it in sales, at prices which for other games would be unreduced prices
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

This is very true and GTW is nothing compared to previous EP's the pack actually brings a lot of new content to the game and the series from the trailers we have seen so far, there are at least 18 new hairs, at least! We never had such amount of it in previous EP plus all the ~30 items/cas parts we can unlock through the three new careers, the ones we have already with the base game plus a new lifestage and we are yet to see how the business works as well as work goals which is the gameplay. HA and it brings new districts plus the alien dimension.
    There's more to EP's than haircuts. How can you compare an EP that isn't released yet to existing EP's :| ?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    I myself, will be waiting to see just what these new careers are like. It looks good on paper so to speak, but that does not mean it will be worth the $$$. My fear is these new careers will be more of the same extremely scripted game play like the base game itself. Here is a quote from the Sims News from Sim Guru Grant. This may mean that it is just standard medical procedure, or it may mean that certain ailments always start with an x-ray. If it standard game play procedure that would lead me to believe, once again the game play will be scripted with NO CHOICES for the players. I do not like being "led by the nose" thru a game. I want flexibility and choices.

It’s good to begin the day with an easy case. Dr. Arani sends him to the X-Ray machine first, purely as a matter of standard procedure.

I hope I am wrong, but I have my doubts. So far all aspects of TS4 have been overly scripted, with no choices so why would the new ep be any different. This is the NEW vision for the Sims and I can not believe they are changing it.

kim :\
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

There's more to EP's than haircuts. How can you compare an EP that isn't released yet to existing EP's :| ?

I didn't mentioned just hairstyles and I'm comparing what I've seen so far.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I didn't mentioned just hairstyles and I'm comparing what I've seen so far.
    I just think it's somewhat premature to conclude this EP is 'nothing compared to' for instance WA. You can't compare until you've played it. Only then will you really know what it contains gameplay wise.
    5JZ57S6.png
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    I myself, will be waiting to see just what these new careers are like. It looks good on paper so to speak, but that does not mean it will be worth the $$$. My fear is these new careers will be more of the same extremely scripted game play like the base game itself. Here is a quote from the Sims News from Sim Guru Grant. This may mean that it is just standard medical procedure, or it may mean that certain ailments always start with an x-ray. If it standard game play procedure that would lead me to believe, once again the game play will be scripted with NO CHOICES for the players. I do not like being "led by the nose" thru a game. I want flexibility and choices.

It’s good to begin the day with an easy case. Dr. Arani sends him to the X-Ray machine first, purely as a matter of standard procedure.

I hope I am wrong, but I have my doubts. So far all aspects of TS4 have been overly scripted, with no choices so why would the new ep be any different. This is the NEW vision for the Sims and I can not believe they are changing it.

Careers in 3 are also very scripted aren't they?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    kimjo313 wrote: »

Careers in 3 are also very scripted aren't they?

Ambitions for the most part was very disappointing as yes they were very rigid and scripted. I did like playing the fire dept career but that was about it. I did not like WA as that too was scripted. I lost interest in game play in TS3 for the most part and spent more time building and creating worlds. TS2 is the game I really play. TS3 is one of the reasons I will not be moving forward with TS4 unless I can see where the game will be something I can enjoy. I spent a lot of money trying to find a way to truly enjoy playing TS3 and will not make the same mistake again.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• babybunnymeisbabybunnymeis Posts: 78 Member

Outdoor Retreat - $40
    Get To Work - $60

That's $200 minimum if you buy limited or standard and $240 if you buy the collector's edition, so yeah, we pay so much and the exchange rates aren't even that high .-. You guys are lucky to get the games that cheap, the cheapest The Sims games ever got were about 20 dollars for stuff packs, 30 for expansions and 40 for the base game :c

Woah, that's crazy! No not crazy, that's INSANE...
    I also noticed that the prices vary depending on how wealthy a country is, which makes sense but isn't always fair. The lowering of prices is fair, you can't expect people to pay as much for a video game as they would for their monthly rent :P lol but to raise them? No, EA, at some point you need to stop...
  • DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member

Outdoor Retreat - $40
    Get To Work - $60

I also noticed that the prices vary depending on how wealthy a country is, which makes sense but isn't always fair. The lowering of prices is fair, you can't expect people to pay as much for a video game as they would for their monthly rent :P lol but to raise them? No, EA, at some point you need to stop...

My friend is a huge fan of The Sims but even he won't every buy a game pack if the prices are 40 dollars -.-

Outdoor Retreat - $40
    Get To Work - $60

My friend is a huge fan of The Sims but even he won't every buy a game pack if the prices are 40 dollars -.-

Yeah I was thinking that MAYBE JUST MAYBE with how much the industry has changed that the pricing would be more reasonable.... LOLNOPE #EA
    IRJsECv.png
  • simslovers456simslovers456 Posts: 213 Member
    I like to wait a little until they lower the prices of the DLC but that's just me.
    large.jpg
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    You would think given the acknowledgement that the game was released too early to finish it all that it would be reflected in the price but no...