Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Loving the Sims in the Sims 4

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    > @astridentanja said:
    > If reading other opinions ruins your mood a forum certainly isn't the right place.

You seem to have missed my point. It's not the differing opinions I have a problem with, but rather the way they are expressed.

>
    > I don't intervene in topics that are just sharing positive thoughts about the game, because those topics are boring for me. It's the constant comparing and bashing of features in predecessors (mainly Sims 3) that triggers people to react.

I wasn't bashing any previous versions, just stating why I like this one the best so far. There are definitely things about TS3 that I liked, otherwise I wouldn't have played it for 5 years and bought almost every EP. I liked TS2 better than 3 though and I like TS4 better than 2, I don't know why you would be offended by that. My opinion happens to be that the Sims in the latest version are the most lovable. Anyway I don't want to argue with you, what prompted me to start this thread in the first place was sadness that I'd like to be more involved in the community but it is very difficult to share any pro Sims 4 sentiments here without being met with hostility.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    > @astridentanja said:
    > If reading other opinions ruins your mood a forum certainly isn't the right place.

You seem to have missed my point. It's not the differing opinions I have a problem with, but rather the way they are expressed.

>
    > I don't intervene in topics that are just sharing positive thoughts about the game, because those topics are boring for me. It's the constant comparing and bashing of features in predecessors (mainly Sims 3) that triggers people to react.

I wasn't bashing any previous versions, just stating why I like this one the best so far. There are definitely things about TS3 that I liked, otherwise I wouldn't have played it for 5 years and bought almost every EP but my opinion happens to be that the Sims in the latest version are the most lovable. Anyway I don't want to argue with you, what prompted me to start this thread in the first place was sadness that I'd like to be more involved in the community but it is very difficult to share any pro Sims 4 sentiments here without being met with hostility.
    No, sorry, I didn't mean you were bashing earlier versions, I meant that in general (just look around a bit and you'll see ;)). And I perfectly understand it's not nice to read a lot of negativity about a game you like. In fact a few days ago I was googling and bumped into a topic about Ambitions, not long after it was released. A lot of moaning and negativity and although I wasn't too happy with some of the careers in that EP myself (I quit private investigator and architectural designer premature because I thought those careers were fake and boring), I was ever so glad nobody influenced my personal opinion about it back then, the careers I did like and the fun I had. Same with WA. I played the game, loved a lot, didn't like other things and that was it. There is a tendency here (and there was back then as well) to polarize. It's 'the best evvah' or it's trash.

I'm kind of torn apart about the matter because of this. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun and think the Sims 4 forum (this section anyway) should belong to people who enjoy the game (the feedback section is different of course). But at the same time I'm glad so many people share the same disappointment I have and express it here, letting EA know they are certainly not covering their complete fanbase.

But again, I think it's a transitional phase, it will pass. I mean it when I say I'm happy for you you enjoy the game so much because I've been there ;) All I can do is hope there will be a game in the future that will take the place of Sims 3 for me in a proper way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I would love them a lot more if there were some connections to other Sims, like wishing to talk to another Sim like in the TS2 when they are a family Sim for sure, and all those Sims have wishes to kiss, see, talk to, play with other Sims they like and are friends with. I haven't seen those type 'whims' in this game at all. And I created eight characters all with different traits some had different aspirations and some in other households had the less desirable traits if you want to play happy Sims. I don't. So I had a hood full of different Sims and honestly since I still play the TS2 and the TS3, I felt that lacked a lot of what makes me like the other Sims better.

I won't go into a long list to point out those differences since I have done that about five hundred some discussions. But I would assume your opinion is subjective when others list what isn't in the game, concerning interactions, the connections the Sim has to another Sim, reactionary autonomous features missing etc. and many interactions between children in the game that aren't even in this game at all.

But it depends on what you want to do I suppose. I play the 'Sims' not goals and so in that department it is lacking but there are plenty of goals for those who prefer a maxed out game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    > @Cinebar said:
    > As I told the guru on the first few days of the Feedback questions from the gurus, I liked my characters I created in CAS, liked them in game, can't agree they are the best of the series, can't agree they are all seem to have individual personalities, would like to see the traits make sense when mixed with the whims, and would like several things tweaked in this game to 'my' satisfaction so I would continue to play and spend more money on it, but I do like my characters I created.
    >
    > That is why I wait to see if they do something to tweak the game so I can continue to play it, (headaches) and if things work out to my satisfaction, since it's my wallet, and I find something new and exciting about it somewhere down the line.

I know what you mean Cinebar. I agree there are things in the Sims 4 that still need tweaking, I think we have a good foundation though and I feel positive about the future. At the moment I really want toddler life stage and more things for my Sims to do together, like restaurants and movies and things. If they bring these out as playable lots like the new careers EP instead of rabbit holes I'd be very happy! I'd also like for my Sims on vacation in Granite Falls to be able to have the option to "Take a hike together" or "Ask to go hiking", and I wish we could swim in the rivers!

Can I ask what you mean about traits and whims not making sense together? Is it because many of the whims are emotions based?

I have a Sim with the big happy family aspiration at the moment, she has the cheerful, goofball and foodie traits. While I was looking for her husband to be I developed romantic interests with several Sim men, when she finally picked "the one" and settled down into marriage, even after their first child was born she kept rolling whim's to flirt with her old flames! I had to watch her like a hawk whenever she was interacting with one of them. Since she didn't have the flirty trait I found this a bit annoying as I felt it didn't really fit with her personality or wishes. Thankfully she eventually got over it and even started rejecting others flirts (much to everybody's embarrassment!). So I think the whims could also be tweaked to fit the aspirations better, although maybe this is difficult since aspirations are changeable? Or perhaps I should have given over to my Sim and changed her aspiration to the serial romantic, haha!
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I'm glad that you like them, OP. I still think my TS2 sims are the best. I like my TS3 sims although they're a bit stiff at times, but they care for each other just like TS2.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    > @astridentanja said:
    > think the Sims 4 forum (this section anyway) should belong to people who enjoy the game (the feedback section is different of course)

I completely agree! And I think it is good that there are sections on the forum where people can give their feedback and work with the Guru's to make the game better for all. I don't think the game is perfect by any means, I really, really hope they listen to the family players and bring back toddlers and give us more family interactions for a start.

> But again, I think it's a transitional phase, it will pass.

You are probably right, there was a lot of complaining about TS3 when it first came out also, I remember being quite sad about that back then too, maybe I'm just too sensitive a soul, lol!

>I mean it when I say I'm happy for you you enjoy the game so much because I've been there ;) All I can do is hope there will be a game in the future that will take the place of Sims 3 for me in a proper way.

• Options
    The whims are broken up into three parts right? One is for their aspiration, one is an emotional whim and I have forgotten what the third is. These are in order across the screen, like the aspiration whim will always be in the same place because that's it's spot. Even if it changes.

So, family Sim wants a toy, but never a child...makes no sense at all.

Emotional Whim compared to emotional state of mind. Game says they are 'happy' but they have a whim that defies they are happy. Or they are miserable but the whim wants to do something related to happy emotion.

Whim (not a fortune Sim etc.) wants a TV because they don't own one....has nothing in the world to do with any emotion, any trait or aspiration. And often may roll something you don't own in game, it's just thrown in there.

Those are just a few examples. I took a picture the last time I played of something that was really off in game. The Sim had one mood but was experiencing another I will have to go back a look at the print screen to remember correctly what it was I found annoying about it. It made no sense at all. It might have been she was very energized but was extremely tired....and hadn't used coffee etc. I don't care if the object in game change mood or not it made no sense she had to go to bed but very energized. I wish tired meant tired in this game. lol

Traits to me don't really matter in this game, because in the past games if a Sim is angry I know why they are angry (most of the time it's a bad conversation) but they don't have a hot head personality, so even during a bad conversation should they really get that angry? Especially if they are 'good' Sim. It would seem to me good Sims would actually be more tolerant even in a bad conversation and not get so flustered.

Also, to me there really is no point in an Evil Sim (other than goals in the game) because All Sims can do mischievous things and do autonomously and even get the mischievous trait/or skill right? So, what is the point of creating a Sim with a good trait if they can be just as mean? And they do it on their own.

I don't mean to put down the game, but personalities are a bag of mixed mess.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with you OP. This game doesn't please everybody. And this is exactly what the reviews showed. I guess there exist some ok, or maybe even good reviews of this game but overall it got a pretty bad reputation after release. "Worst game of 2014" (Game Star), "biggest disappointment of the year" (PC Games) etc . The media was pretty negative about it but it's fine if people can still enjoy it.

To me The Sims 4 is an insult to the franchise (and one reason is that I find the sims themselves (townies) extremly boring). But I have high hopes that in some years I can somehow enjoy it.

"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    > @Cinebar said:
    > I would love them a lot more if there were some connections to other Sims, like wishing to talk to another Sim like in the TS2 when they are a family Sim for sure, and all those Sims have wishes to kiss, see, talk to, play with other Sims they like and are friends with. I haven't seen those type 'whims' in this game at all.
    '

That's weird because my Sims get these sorts of whims all the time, it will say something like "Be friendly with Brycen (from being near friendly relationship)" when you hover over it in game. I have a couple whose relationship status is best friends, soul-mates, lovebirds and spouse, they get A LOT of whims to chat with, kiss, tell joke to, be friendly with each other etc. depending on their emotion being happy or flirty or playful and the like. They also do quite a few of these interactions autonomously when I'm giving them free reign. I find the relationships really quite cute to watch.

>
    > But it depends on what you want to do I suppose. I play the 'Sims' not goals

Yes, me too. Sometimes I'll do the goal thing if I'm in the mood but mostly I like to focus on storytelling and sometimes I just like to let the Sims take the lead and tell me who they want to be by watching their whims and interactions.
  • Options
    > @Cinebar said:
    >
    > ... So, family Sim wants a toy, but never a child...makes no sense at all.
    >
    > Emotional Whim compared to emotional state of mind. Game says they are 'happy' but they have a whim that defies they are happy. Or they are miserable but the whim wants to do something related to happy emotion.
    >
    > Whim (not a fortune Sim etc.) wants a TV because they don't own one....has nothing in the world to do with any emotion, any trait or aspiration. And often may roll something you don't own in game, it's just thrown in there.
    >
    > Those are just a few examples. I took a picture the last time I played of something that was really off in game. The Sim had one mood but was experiencing another I will have to go back a look at the print screen to remember correctly what it was I found annoying about it. It made no sense at all. It might have been she was very energized but was extremely tired....and hadn't used coffee etc. I don't care if the object in game change mood or not it made no sense she had to go to bed but very energized. I wish tired meant tired in this game. lol...

I think everything you have said here makes perfect sense! I've never seen an emotional whim that conflicted with my Sims current emotion but I can see how that would be frustrating! The energized mood not matching up with the energy need bar is certainly quite ridiculous!

> ... Also, to me there really is no point in an Evil Sim (other than goals in the game) because All Sims can do mischievous things and do autonomously and even get the mischievous trait/or skill right? So, what is the point of creating a Sim with a good trait if they can be just as mean? And they do it on their own...

I think the difference is that Evil Sims get enjoyment out of being mean, they get happy, whereas non-evil Sims get angry? I'm not sure because I haven't played an evil Sim yet (I never did in previous versions of the game either so I'd have nothing to compare it to anyways!).

>... in the past games if a Sim is angry I know why they are angry (most of the time it's a bad conversation) but they don't have a hot head personality, so even during a bad conversation should they really get that angry? Especially if they are 'good' Sim. It would seem to me good Sims would actually be more tolerant even in a bad conversation and not get so flustered...

I do get annoyed if my Sims randomly do a Rude Introduction or something for no apparent reason, like they don't have the mean trait and they have never met that Sim before so why are they being mean to them? Also ALL of my Sims like to Troll Teh Forums way too much! I'm constantly cancelling that interaction!

If my Sims get angry during conversations I generally find that the Sim they are interacting with is mean. I had an insane Sim who constantly yelled at his wife, regardless of his emotional state, which was quite annoying but he's insane I guess, so it kind of makes sense ;) .

I guess what I'm saying here is that I agree with you that there needs to be some tweaking! I see a lot of potential in these Sims though and I have hope for the future :)
  • Options
    Perhaps I have just grown cynical, but I feel this is their vision for the game even if it seems willy nilly to me. I really don't hold out much hope they can get the budget, the time, the expertise to understand what I and others say and actually tweak the game we would like. I suppose that is what modders are for, however, it's a real shame, because if they made a few major changes and tweaked the actual Sim personality and a few others things about multitasking (it seems so OCD) I would probably buy more EPs for it. But I really doubt they agree with me about the tweaks, and I doubt they can 'revisit' such things and have to push forward to get out more content that will probably be more inline with their vision than mine. And with limited time and resources and having to meet deadlines and push out more content, I doubt they could do any of this tweaking even if they wanted to revisit some of this stuff.
  • Options
    @Cinebar‌ well in that case I hope you turn out to be pleasantly surprised in the end ;)
  • Options
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    @Cinebar‌ well in that case I hope you turn out to be pleasantly surprised in the end ;)

Thanks! I do, too. Because I really would like to play a new Sims' game, since I am a huge fan of the series. I have shelved it for awhile to see what happens, and hope they open up the worlds and allow us to place vacant lots anywhere, move lots around, change neighborhood décor, add to public spaces, create our own world templates, etc. I have a lot I need to keep playing, lol, but still hanging around since they have done some things that were nice of them to do, like family tree, pools, ghosts etc. I won't argue I think they should have been there anyway, but glad people got them in a patch.
  • Options
    SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    One of my favorite sims died in the sims 3 and I cried. For some odd reason, I don't have the same connection to my sims as I had in TS3. I've had several sims die in the sims 4. One even died from the vicious cowplant. I didn't cry or anything. I love how my sims look in TS4. People complain about them being too cartoonish. I think that makes the graphics look 100x better.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    SimSwim2 wrote: »
    One of my favorite sims died in the sims 3 and I cried. For some odd reason, I don't have the same connection to my sims as I had in TS3. I've had several sims die in the sims 4. One even died from the vicious cowplant. I didn't cry or anything. I love how my sims look in TS4. People complain about them being too cartoonish. I think that makes the graphics look 100x better.
    Lol I also cried when one of my sims died in TS3. Thank god no one saw me or else I would've been teased for who knows how long. XD
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    I mean, I like my sims in TS4, but I had a real connection with my TS3 and TS2 sims. I don't know how to explain it. They were all so different
  • Options
    krystle0385krystle0385 Posts: 563 Member
    I agree with the OP, I adore my Sims in this game. I even went back to replay TS2, which I loved more than TS3, and it doesn't play the same. Yes, by the time 2 ended there were so many features that it blows the current TS4 out of the water in features, but the Sims themselves are amazing in TS4. My Sims are able to form their own personalities, relationships and lives in ways I never expected. And they continue to surprise me, hundreds of hours in. I really love TS4 and I can't wait to see where the series goes.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I love them, I wanted to kill the mom of the family to make a story, but I gave up, she was so charming lol and I felt bad for her

Sims 2 was good, but I felt more like a diety and I am more attached to them in Sims 4, like they are mt friends lol
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    KingofSims wrote: »
    It's great that you love Sims 4, don't let negativity get in your way!

There is negativity simply for the sake of negativity, then there is negativity for the sake of reality:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-bugs-issues

for example

This. Exactly
  • Options
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    KingofSims wrote: »
    It's great that you love Sims 4, don't let negativity get in your way!

There is negativity simply for the sake of negativity, then there is negativity for the sake of reality:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-bugs-issues

for example

This. Exactly

Wow there are 97 pages over there, and that doesn't even count the bugs reported to Crinrict on the answers.com
  • Options
    This thread has nothing to do with bug reporting. It's the unnecessary negativity that is the issue. There are proper threads for issues and bugs, no need to bring them up here.
  • Options
    SimCrazy wrote: »
    I mean, I like my sims in TS4, but I had a real connection with my TS3 and TS2 sims. I don't know how to explain it. They were all so different
    They're not mine, that's my problem. I can't make them my own.
    And the kid they have, he just looks so different when he grows up, it's no fun.
    I must add by the way I haven't spent hours in CAS yet because my computer can't cope.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    Me too OP! I have never felt more connected to my Sims than I do with the ones I've created for TS4. They are all so individual, and I love that they do unpredictable things that catch me off guard! Also, I love that for the first time ever, I can create Sims that look truly unique.

In fact, for the first time in my 15 years playing Sims, I have begun writing stories about my Sims! They're so great at depicting a story and they've really brought out the creative side in me! Whilst I've loved all of the instalments of this franchise, the Sims 4 Sims have inspired me in a way none of the other series' Sims have :blush:<3
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited February 2015
    Me too OP! I have never felt more connected to my Sims than I do with the ones I've created for TS4. They are all so individual, and I love that they do unpredictable things that catch me off guard! Also, I love that for the first time ever, I can create Sims that look truly unique.

In fact, for the first time in my 15 years playing Sims, I have begun writing stories about my Sims! They're so great at depicting a story and they've really brought out the creative side in me! Whilst I've loved all of the instalments of this franchise, the Sims 4 Sims have inspired me in a way none of the other series' Sims have :blush:<3

Telling stories adds another layer of immersion onto them. Quite a thick layer in my opinion, as they come alive when you put words in their mouths, given them motivations, and play out scenarios. I believe it was the main reason why I enjoyed TS3, but I can say the same for TS2 as well.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    CK213 wrote: »

Telling stories adds another layer of immersion onto them. Quite a thick layer in my opinion, as they come alive when you put words in their mouths, given them motivations, and play out scenarios. I believe it was the main reason why I enjoyed TS3, but I can say the same for TS2 as well.
    Very true. For me it's not the main reason, I also like plain playing. It feels like two games for me really, the playing and the writing.

(love your signature, as always)
    5JZ57S6.png