Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where'd all this seriousness come from?

Lately I've been seeing people saying how they hate how nonsensical and humorous the Sims is and how they're annoyed at it because they can't take it seriously. When was the Sims ever meant to be taken seriously? It's always been about the humor. Sure, Sims 3 was pretty bland in the humor and charm department, and that's one of the biggest complaints people always had about it, but there was still plenty of nonsense and humor. The games were never meant to be taken seriously, so where are all these no-nonsense, stern players coming from and where did they get the idea that it was meant to be taken seriously and be void of humor absurdity?
Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

Comments

• purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I've always loved the humour in the sims. I love how stupid and random they can be. I love the stupid and random things that happen. I love it how I can leave the game unattended for 5 mins then my sims are fighting and have now become enemies. Could you imagine how boring the game would be if it was all serious with no humour in?
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    We drew the line where the over the top humor needs to stop.

Where's the line? What's considered over the top? Who died and gave you/the others complaining the right to draw that line?

I was just gonna say, what is over the top about this game?
  • ToxicBlueToxicBlue Posts: 66 Member
    Yes I agree OP! The sims always had a humour element to the game play. There are many players out there who prefer to play a realism style of game play and that is fine too. One of the best parts of the sims is that it allows the player to decide their type of game play. But I have always enjoyed the humorous side to the sims and all of the little jokes throughout the series (cow plants, llamas etc!).
    Untitled%202_zps45hg4xod.png
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Not to derail the thread, (because I know someone else will do it eventually), but why'd I expect to see a Heath Ledger gif when I opened this thread and slightly disappointed when I didn't?

tumblr_m43ez8ohHS1qlilguo1_500.gif

Ok, problem solved, OP. Please continue.
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I love the humor in the sims games! You're right, OP, sims has always been about the silly humor. For me, though, sims 4 isn't really that funny because most (not all) of the time it's very predictable. I don't like that because then it's not that funny anymore.
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member

Where's the line? What's considered over the top? Who died and gave you/the others complaining the right to draw that line?
    First off, we have the right to draw the line for our own personal preferences. So you need to seriously chill out, okay? Not everyone needs to like what you like, okay? Okay.

Sorry but potty humor and death by laughing is a little too much over the topness for some of us.

Sure, draw whatever imaginary lines you want, you're not the ones designing the game, so I have nothing to worry about. But it irks me so much when people complain incessantly about the humor in Sims games when it's always been that way. Always. I'm not saying you need to like what I like. I'm saying there's no reason to suddenly complain about it when it's been that way for 15 years. The humor is much, much, much less over the top than it was 15 years ago. It's so tame now. Potty humor is so easy to ignore. The game isn't made for just you. It's targeted at younger kids as well.

Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

I've never seen my sims make chicken noises, neither have they farted all over the place. They used to fart all the time in TS2, now they just tend to fart if they are a slob, but I have yet to see a sim fart in my game. The sims has always had a bit of toilet humour. It just depends on how you play your game. I love the humour but I play my game quite seriously, I don't have my sims do evil/mischief on other sims so I avoid the frat boy antics and death by hysteria. If you don't want that in your game, then you can choose to avoid it. There are plenty of things to do in the mean time.
    If you seriously think the humor in Sims 1 and 2 weren't over the top and in your face then you really need to go back and play them again. There was a charm in Sims 1 Makin' Magic that turned everyone's heads in donkey's heads. In Sims 2 if your sim's aspiration meter was too low they'd start rocking and singing to a sack of flour or dancing with a mop with a face drawn on a plate.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

First off, we have the right to draw the line for our own personal preferences. So you need to seriously chill out, okay? Not everyone needs to like what you like, okay? Okay.

Sorry but potty humor and death by laughing is a little too much over the topness for some of us.

Sure, draw whatever imaginary lines you want, you're not the ones designing the game, so I have nothing to worry about. But it irks me so much when people complain incessantly about the humor in Sims games when it's always been that way. Always. I'm not saying you need to like what I like. I'm saying there's no reason to suddenly complain about it when it's been that way for 15 years. The humor is much, much, much less over the top than it was 15 years ago. It's so tame now. Potty humor is so easy to ignore. The game isn't made for just you. It's targeted at younger kids as well.
    The humor has changed to being far to obvious like others have said. I know I'm not the one designing the game. Where did I claim I was?? Did you just say this game is targeted for younger kids? Uh no. It's rated T for teens and up.

There's no answer that I will give that would please you. You made a thread where you didn't care about the other side's answer. You just wanted to argue and have a bunch of people agree.

Good job.

I never said that you implied you were making the game. I said I don't care about your imaginary line being drawn because it affects the game in no way at all, so I have nothing to worry about. Even though it's rated T for teen, they still know a lot of younger audiences play it. The makers aren't stupid, so they still need to design it in a way that appeals to younger kids as well.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    If you seriously think the humor in Sims 1 and 2 weren't over the top and in your face then you really need to go back and play them again. There was a charm in Sims 1 Makin' Magic that turned everyone's heads in donkey's heads. In Sims 2 if your sim's aspiration meter was too low they'd start rocking and singing to a sack of flour or dancing with a mop with a face drawn on a plate.
    The Sims 2 was a bit more on the dark humor side. Just saying...
  • IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    I really don't think this games humor is rubbing in the faces of those who don't like it. I think the Sims 2 humor was far worse than this current installment.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Lately I've been seeing people saying how they hate how nonsensical and humorous the Sims is and how they're annoyed at it because they can't take it seriously. When was the Sims ever meant to be taken seriously? It's always been about the humor. Sure, Sims 3 was pretty bland in the humor and charm department, and that's one of the biggest complaints people always had about it, but there was still plenty of nonsense and humor. The games were never meant to be taken seriously, so where are all these no-nonsense, stern players coming from and where did they get the idea that it was meant to be taken seriously and be void of humor absurdity?

Most of the people that say that probably are Sims 3 fans or started with Sims 3. Compared to the other games, Sims 3 is personally my least fave due to lack of humor (among many many other reasons).

Sims was always meant to be silly, odd and humorous. It just wouldn't be Sims without all the wackiness going on. It always been over the top. I think that was why Sims 2 did so well.

The humor has changed to being far to obvious like others have said. I know I'm not the one designing the game. Where did I claim I was?? Did you just say this game is targeted for younger kids? Uh no. It's rated T for teens and up.

There's no answer that I will give that would please you. You made a thread where you didn't care about the other side's answer. You just wanted to argue and have a bunch of people agree.

Good job.

I never said that you implied you were making the game. I said I don't care about your imaginary line being drawn because it affects the game in no way at all, so I have nothing to worry about. Even though it's rated T for teen, they still know a lot of younger audiences play it. The makers aren't stupid, so they still need to design it in a way that appeals to younger kids as well.
    You know what? Good for you. I'm glad you don't care about where my imaginary line is drawn. Oh wait? Then why did you make a thread asking us why we felt this way?

Or are you just flame baiting? God Wilderwolf...

Good job.

You know what? Good for you. I'm glad you don't care about where my imaginary line is drawn. Oh wait? Then why did you make a thread asking us why we felt this way?

I asked why people assumed the Sims was supposed to be serious and not humorous. You never answered my question, just stated you drew an imaginary line as to what was over the top and unacceptable as if you were the deciding factor on how the game should be designed.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

@MsPhy I see what you did there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member

Edit: Wilderwolf, if you're going to get rude when I answered YOUR question calmy the first time, let me know so I can bail out of the thread.

You must have hated the sims 2.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    LOL everyone complaining about the frat boy humor must not paid much attention to Sims 2 when sims woohooed. Now they were over the top when it came to romantic interactions among other things, but that was part of the charm.
    edited February 2015

Good job.

I asked why people assumed the Sims was supposed to be serious and not humorous. You never answered my question, just stated you drew an imaginary line as to what was over the top and unacceptable as if you were the deciding factor on how the game should be designed.
    I said we drew the line where the over the top humor needed to stop. In fact, I don't see many, if at all anyone, complaining that it was a serious game. In fact, I see the complaints toward this game about the potty humor and "frat boy humor" like MsPhy stated.

"just stated you drew an imaginary line as to what was over the top and unacceptable as if you were the deciding factor on how the game should be designed."

Way to make your own interpretation on something that was obviously meant as a personal preference. I love how you ignored my questions asking if this was flame bait or if you just like having people agreeing with you and if you just like to fight. Guess I have my answer ;)