Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Compiled list of bugs in The Sims 3

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    This thread hasn't withered away yet, right?
    Long story short: Into the Future glass wall-windows flash red on one side when used in pools.

(First bug to throw off my groove, huge lag I can stand, even things taking longer than they're supposed to isn't that bad. But non-mod stuff flashing red? Nah, not taking any of that today, thank you.)

These two objects (Fields Without Fences Wall Window and Clean and Clear Wall Window) have the flashing problem when placed on a pool wall. If you are using these two objects in your pool, you'll get the flashing problem. The other Windows I've tested look fine.

A window in a pool??

This link has some pools that have windows added around the pool wall.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/894139/swimming-pools-building#latest

I too had tried putting the windows from ITF around the pool and had the same flashing red as MidoTheDuck has but ended up putting the windows that you will see in my pictures that is in the link that I provided.

• Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2016
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    This thread hasn't withered away yet, right?
    Long story short: Into the Future glass wall-windows flash red on one side when used in pools.

(First bug to throw off my groove, huge lag I can stand, even things taking longer than they're supposed to isn't that bad. But non-mod stuff flashing red? Nah, not taking any of that today, thank you.)

These two objects (Fields Without Fences Wall Window and Clean and Clear Wall Window) have the flashing problem when placed on a pool wall. If you are using these two objects in your pool, you'll get the flashing problem. The other Windows I've tested look fine.

A window in a pool??

This link has some pools that have windows added around the pool wall.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/894139/swimming-pools-building#latest

I too had tried putting the windows from ITF around the pool and had the same flashing red as MidoTheDuck has but ended up putting the windows that you will see in my pictures that is in the link that I provided.

I've checked your link. I see what you guys mean, but it reminds me like some disco clubs with such glass pools, or some NSFW clubs with similar pools. Or the aquarium in KickAs II. Honnestly, I'm not sure I'd like this in my dream house, but I see that some of you want it...
    Post edited by Lexers615 on
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Ceca1995Ceca1995 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a problem, please help me.
    I had a family and when i start a game, i saw that my sims have other names and i can't control them. I thought if i create a new family in other city that everything gonna be normal, and it was 1 day, but after that, my "wife" gone to hospital and get a baby, and after one baby, we got 10 babies, there's some bug, but i don't know which, please help me. Sims 3
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Ceca1995 wrote: »
    I have a problem, please help me.
    I had a family and when i start a game, i saw that my sims have other names and i can't control them. I thought if i create a new family in other city that everything gonna be normal, and it was 1 day, but after that, my "wife" gone to hospital and get a baby, and after one baby, we got 10 babies, there's some bug, but i don't know which, please help me. Sims 3

That's the birthing loop bug, it's not as common as it once was but it still happens. Is your game entirely patched up to 1.67 or 1.69 (either one is current)? The only thing you can do when this happens is quit without saving or revert to a save from before she went into labor. You could also try making her give birth at home.

If not averse to using mods, there is an NRaas mod the mere presence of which puts a stop to that but for other reasons it's not one we can talk about on this forum. It's name begins with a "W."
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Ceca1995Ceca1995 Posts: 2 New Member
    Where I can check which patch is mine?
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    Ceca1995 wrote: »
    Where I can check which patch is mine?
    Hi, Ceca 1995. When you open Launcher, it stays on lower left corner.
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
    igazor wrote: »
    If not averse to using mods, there is an NRaas mod the mere presence of which puts a stop to that but for other reasons it's not one we can talk about on this forum. It's name begins with a "W."

You're as classy as ever @igazor, for refering to "flowers and bees" that way! :D
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    @Ceca1995 - If you are on Patch 1.69, it will say so on the Launcher itself, front and center (or towards the bottom). If on 1.67 or below, you can see the patch number by holding the mouse over the base game icon, the first one in the row at the bottom.

Let us know if you are on the Mac version of the game, for that one we have to look elsewhere.

LOL @Lexers615. We all have to refer to it as something.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • EclecticaEclectica Posts: 3 New Member
    I can't seem to start a new thread about a major issue I'm having. I've tried searching online and can't find anything about this problem This seemed like the best thread to post about it.

I haven't played in awhile, but I loaded up the game tonight and I have one save behaving very weirdly. I'd obviously sent my sim to Into the Future. When I load it up, my camera is facing a wall to what seems to be her house (it still has the college gift thing on the doorstep). I got a message above the opportunity thing to "Travel back in time to the present day and alter your net wealth, traits or family size." and one of her wishes is about creating a dystopian future and another is to be immortalized as a statue.

It took longer to load than my other saves and when it finally did, there's no picture for her on the side, or the middle of the UI. I can't pop out the needs panel, or switch to any mode other than live. I can't pick a different floor in the house, which is completely empty except for the ZZZZ's of a non-existent sleeping sim. When I go to edit town mode, it shows the house as empty, so I can't save my sim and try again. I've tried the reset sim code and nothing happens.
    I forgot to point out my sim also had 0 simoleons. I just loaded another family with the same problem as well, except this one I know no one ever went to the future. The whole family is missing, they have no money, I can't see in their house, but their outside stuff is all there. My other saves all seem to be working fine, although 2 large families take a really long time for their portraits to load.

I did have some mods that aren't there now, but I don't know how that could have made my sims vanish.
    edited December 2016
    @Eclectica - In your TS3 game folder in Documents, you will have five cache files. If you haven't already done so, try deleting them. They will respawn the next time the game is launched.
    CasPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package

If you have extension names set to be hidden in your operating system, then the ".package" part of each file name will not display but they are the same files.

Also make sure that you are attempting to startup these saves from a fresh loadup of the game from the beginning, not from the Main Menu after having loaded a different save.

If that doesn't help, then from what you have described, it sounds like those two saves are corrupt and not loading up all the way. The only other thing you can really do when that happens is try to load up an older save of that ongoing game or look in your Saves folder for a backup save and load that by changing its name so it ends in .sims3 instead of .backup, if you have such a save available.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I might have just missed it, but I couldn't find the one with getting nameless books in LN apartments. @HappySimmer3 mentioned this is a pretty common bug. I opened a thread about this a while ago here
    @Eclectica - In your TS3 game folder in Documents, you will have five cache files. If you haven't already done so, try deleting them. They will respawn the next time the game is launched.
    CasPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package

If you have extension names set to be hidden in your operating system, then the ".package" part of each file name will not display but they are the same files.

Also make sure that you are attempting to startup these saves from a fresh loadup of the game from the beginning, not from the Main Menu after having loaded a different save.

If that doesn't help, then from what you have described, it sounds like those two saves are corrupt and not loading up all the way. The only other thing you can really do when that happens is try to load up an older save of that ongoing game or look in your Saves folder for a backup save and load that by changing its name so it ends in .sims3 instead of .backup, if you have such a save available.

Thank you for the response! I tried deleting those files and it didn't work. I re-installed some of my mods and tried the family again and was apparently able to get the kids back (3 of them are away at school, I think, so their portraits are grey), but the mother isn't there; she isn't even in the family picture anymore. She's still in their trees as the mother, but there's no icon for her. Sadly, I have no backup of this game. I do have a saved version of the mother, from before I first played her. I think my only option is to use NRaas mods to try to paste her back into her family and give her back some skills. I've made a backup before I do that just in case something goes wrong or I find some way to get her back. I haven't been able to find any posts anywhere about a glitch like this, though. The single sim is just ....gone. No backup there either but, again, I have a save of her before I started playing her so I guess I can start her over again.
  • TayMeowCxxTayMeowCxx Posts: 38 Member
    I'm having a weird issue where my sims went invisible but was acting like a toddler, reset sim didn't work but lucky me that error trap fixed her being invisible now I'm stuck with a adult toddler that's walking in her knees.... At this point i'll probably make a new game, but it saddens me ill loose all my play time in that save and this is the third time a sim has went invisible and I've just started over. Would be great if somebody knew a fix for the toddler part. I have supernatural, late night and seasons installed and cc, also a bunch of mods.
    edited August 2017
    TayMeowCxx wrote: »
    I'm having a weird issue where my sims went invisible but was acting like a toddler, reset sim didn't work but lucky me that error trap fixed her being invisible now I'm stuck with a adult toddler that's walking in her knees.... At this point i'll probably make a new game, but it saddens me ill loose all my play time in that save and this is the third time a sim has went invisible and I've just started over. Would be great if somebody knew a fix for the toddler part. I have supernatural, late night and seasons installed and cc, also a bunch of mods.
    Usually when a sim goes invisible they are still functional, but we see things like thought and speech bubbles coming out of the ground and moving about. If they are a member of the active household, the plumbob still shows. Most often this means that their outfit assignment has gone bad. Not the actual clothes, the sim's assignment to them. Directing them to change outfits, even to the one they were supposed to be wearing all along, usually fixes that. If it's an inactive sim, the same thing can be accomplished with MasterController and again, selecting an outfit to change into.

DebugEnabler, a different NRaas mod, has a Fix Invisible Sims command in it. I find that usually detects the bad outfit assignments in around 80% of the cases when a world is infested with them and fixes them all, the rest I do manually as I come across them as above.

You would also want to make sure you are clearing (deleting ) the five cache files on the top level of your TS3 user game folder in Documents on a regular basis. They will each regenerate on the next startup of the game.

On the adult acting like a toddler glitch, that's usually result of bringing an existing sim into CAS and trying to adjust their age stage from there. We really aren't supposed to do that, this is why. Might that be the case here? You could try a MasterController Reset Sim on them, that's much deeper than the cheats console kind. Or you could bring them back into CAS and kind of re-make them into a saved copy of the sim from the sim bin. Or replace them with a new sim, but then of course you stand to lose a lot of progress and relationships. In somewhat more rare cases, this can all be caused by "Bad" CC.

By the time ErrorTrap gets deeply involved, other than making more gentle corrections, a sim is usually corrupt. That could also be the case here, there are different degrees of corruption so you may not be totally way off base in thinking about not playing that sim forward -- but do you not have an older save you could revert to from before this thing happened and re-play from there?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I think I have an old old file in my save some where... As for the cache i always delete it when i start up my game--- i could've accidentally corrupted it when i took a mod out that was causing my clothes to be glitched in everyday despite her "changing" But I'm 99% sure that i deleted those after deleting and if i dont and start up the game and remember i didnt delete them i exit the main menu before loading up to avoid corruption, but i will have to try changing her everyday. I will tell you that error trap does see that shes still broken and has tried fixing her. I have mc will just have to reset my town again to fix everything. I checked all my cc unless somethings lurking... I was thinking of getting Nraas debug. Thanks for your reply, i will have to update you when i get the chance. :) @igazor
    @TayMeowCxx - Okay. Just so you know, when the more classic invisible sim bug strikes (caused by bad outfit assignments), MC Resets don't usually fix those, although there are some exceptions. MC Resets rebuild sims from the ground up based on the information the mod can get on the sims at the time, meaning essentially it will rebuild the bad outfit assignment just as it was. I was suggesting that more for the grown sim with toddler like features and animations. But regardless, it's not going to do any harm to try...or try again, as the case may be.

If you want any help interpreting ErrorTrap logs, feel free to upload them to us at NRaas and open a support thread. But of course if you have already read them and they just say something generic like "Tried to fix (sim name)." then we probably wouldn't be able to provide much more info than just that. Do you have Overwatch in play though? These mods all work together to fight sim corruption like this, and I haven't seen you mention that one yet.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I have master control, overwatch and error trap because my game was so slow i could only play with so much cc and only two game packs And they've helped a lot. With your comment about me resetting my town not working - i noticed it didnt fix the clothing glitch which is fine atm its not priority #1 right now. Right now im hoping reset town will put her back in her normal stance, because it deeply bothers me, i will say i have a theory as to why this is happening and i guess i didn't learn from the other two times my game broke. The invisible sim only happened to me while having a nraas decensor installed, pulling from a game or even starting a new game my game will have no invisible sims but evey now and then the outfit will break which I'd just fix it with cas anyways, anyways I will see how my game is after these and report back as if fixed or not.
    Update: changed her clothes and she seems fine for now, have played her for 12 weeks so glad i didn't have to start over. Thanks so much for your help! :) :)
    @TayMeowCxx - Glad the solution is working (for now) and you're welcome. We don't get very many reports, perhaps none at all, of issues with the D-mod (not sure we can really discuss that one here on this forum). It hasn't had an update for a very long time, but it was certainly kept up to date as the EPs and patches were rolling out. Those who do have issues with it, it seems to turn out, tend to have another mod or two in place that are trying to do the same thing.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SimsLover0423SimsLover0423 Posts: 10 New Member
    This is soo off topic but I didn't know where to post it to be honest.
    Wondering if I can get some suggestions from you guys. So currently I'm playing in the world Setra , so I was trying to have one of my sim enter University but every time it hits the middle of the loading bar it crashes and I thought it was weird so I tested it on another sim in a different world and it loaded just fine so I realized that the town Setra is heavily populated and probably caused the crashing, is there any solutions to help it?
    This is soo off topic but I didn't know where to post it to be honest.
    Wondering if I can get some suggestions from you guys. So currently I'm playing in the world Setra , so I was trying to have one of my sim enter University but every time it hits the middle of the loading bar it crashes and I thought it was weird so I tested it on another sim in a different world and it loaded just fine so I realized that the town Setra is heavily populated and probably caused the crashing, is there any solutions to help it?
    1 - Has anyone from this world ever gone to Uni before? If the game has generated a SimsUniversity nhd file within its Save folder, try pulling that file out or deleting it. Note that if you are able to get into Uni World, it will be replaced by a fresh copy with everything the way it looks by default and its original sims in it in case that's important to this ongoing game.

2- And then we move on to discussing other solutions for the crash.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15965138/#Comment_15965138

3 - From what I understand though, Setra although deservedly popular is a very large and complicated world. If transitioning out of it (and similarly back into it) during travel transitions causes the game's RAM usage to spike into the danger zone, which for most will be somewhere above 3.4 GB or so give or take a bit, then yes it will either crash on you or Error12 upon trying to Save or Save As, which are just as bad as no one needs a game that cannot ever be saved. I would probably approach this one with some pretty low expectations, even with the performance fixing mods referenced in the linked thread in play. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited August 2017
    Error12 upon trying to Save or Save As, which are just as bad as no one needs a game that cannot ever be saved.

A while ago I ran into Error12s and I couldnt do a thing but quit and reload... If I understand correctly, you're saying that, once triggered, there's indeed no remedy to Error12s but quitting and reloading?

My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited August 2017
    Error12 upon trying to Save or Save As, which are just as bad as no one needs a game that cannot ever be saved.

A while ago I ran into Error12s and I couldnt do a thing but quit and reload... If I understand correctly, you're saying that, once triggered, there's indeed no remedy to Error12s but quitting and reloading?

Error code 12 is caused by not having enough computer memory to run the game . The game requires 4gb of ram just to run the game. You need extra ram to run windows, origin and other programs. If your computer has integrated graphics/processor will make the situation even worse. You have the game, windows , origin, other programs plus graphics and processor all trying to use the same computer ram.

If your computer does not meet requirements to run the game overall you will run into error code 12. If your computer meets all requirements to run the game and you save frequently you should not get error code 12. The only time you might run into error code 12 and your computer meets requirements is if you have a memory leak with windows 8 and 10. Both windows 8 and 10 can be prone to memory leaks.

Error code 12 will give you bad or corrupt save games

To run this game properly you really need 8gb computer ram and a dedicated video card that has it's own ram separate from the computer ram. This way you will have enough ram to run windows , origin, other programs the game and your processor while your video card will have it's own ram to run off of
    edited August 2017

Once an Error12 has already happened in a particular session, there are a number of things the player can try to still negotiate a save such as focusing on a plain patch of grass and zooming in and then maybe back out to Map View. Many of us, including me, find this only works around 5% of the time or less and sometimes it generates a save that then cannot be loaded up. For some it works more often than that, for others it never does. Tricks like this really only work if one was on the very edge of RAM usage overload (or when the game is out of what it calls "virtual memory," which is different from what most of us call that), but this is impossible to measure unless one has a crash log and by then it's too late anyway. Once things have spiked, even for a microsecond, too far into the danger zone approaching 3.7 GB of RAM usage, so for most players that's somewhere around or above 3.4 GB, the game will essentially lose its mind as a 32-bit executable cannot ever handle that much RAM in play.

Sorry to bring this subject up again, but a dedicated graphics card unsuitable to carry the game will also trigger these for being out of resources more often. Although the game usually crashes in such instances first or not long after.

I don't even bother trying very hard, maybe once or so half-heartedly, in the rare instances this happens to me now. But I do watch over the game's RAM usage constantly and if an ongoing game ever exceeds 3.2 GB of RAM usage where I usually see it leveling off around 2.8 or something lower, then I want to know why and also know that trouble is probably brewing. Or possibly, without realizing it, it has been far too long since I've saved (as), quit, and reloaded entirely.

For those on the Mac version of the game, the same thing happens except at or above the 2 GB limit of RAM usage as the Mac version never got the Large Address Aware fix that the Windows version did back on Patch 1.17 and there is no remedy for this, just some tricks to stay under 2 GB for those players.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!