March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issues with Mods and CC in The Sims 4 on Mac

Comments

• Ottie24Ottie24 Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2015
    > @GlitterSimmer said:
    >I downloaded sims 4 to my mac... I want to start using custom content.. but i can't seem to get it to work.. is there something i need to download first?? please help!
    You will have to boot up your game first so it can create a folder in your documents. Then documents Electronic Arts Sims 4. There should be a folder that says Mods. Put all of your custom content in there. Also make sure you have an application that will unzip .zip files and .rar files.
  • geekchic96geekchic96 Posts: 154 Member
    > @lilmiszcee said:
    > The patch didn't fix my issue :/

I'm having the same issue as you! Every CC that I put on to my sim makes their texture all shiny and weird. I don't know if this problem is exclusive to mac or not but I hope it's fixed soon. No Guru seems to be talking about it at all though.
  • lilmiszceelilmiszcee Posts: 47 Member
    @geekchic96
    Maybe it's exclusive to our macs. What kind of mac do you use?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    geekchic96 wrote: »
    > @lilmiszcee said:
    > The patch didn't fix my issue :/

I'm having the same issue as you! Every CC that I put on to my sim makes their texture all shiny and weird. I don't know if this problem is exclusive to mac or not but I hope it's fixed soon. No Guru seems to be talking about it at all though.

Have you updated your game?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    > @lilmiszcee said:
    > geekchic96
    > Maybe it's exclusive to our macs. What kind of mac do you use?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

> @Tremayne4260 said:
    > geekchic96 wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you updated your game?

Yes. It's up to date.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited March 2015
    So with the new update does this mean I can add script mods again?

Edit: Because I have script mods that have the extension .py/.pyo and they won't show up
    Post edited by Simfan923 on
    1FKDfKj.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    EAfan99 wrote: »

Edit: Because I have script mods that have the extension .py/.pyo and they won't show up

Does this help?

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files#Installing_Game_Mods_.28.pyo.2F.py.29

apple-signature.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

Does this help?

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files#Installing_Game_Mods_.28.pyo.2F.py.29

Sort of. I remembered that I had a zipped copy of the mod in my google drive and it worked perfectly. I guess I just don't know how to zip up a folder on my mac
    1FKDfKj.png

Does this help?

Sort of. I remembered that I had a zipped copy of the mod in my google drive and it worked perfectly. I guess I just don't know how to zip up a folder on my mac

Right click on the folder you want to zip and select Compress
    apple-signature.png
  • DarrenB89DarrenB89 Posts: 17 New Member
    edited March 2015
    Has anyone found a fix to the shiny sim issue?
    Post edited by DarrenB89 on
    > @DarrenB89 said:
    > Has anyone found a fix to the shiny sim issue?
    >
    >
    No so far no one has a solution, unfortunately.
  • kiwibirdkiwibird Posts: 3 New Member
    uh well what if i don't even have the "electronic arts" folder at all? where do i put the cc then?
    > @kiwibird said:
    > uh well what if i don't even have the "electronic arts" folder at all? where do i put the cc then?

Did you start the game at least once yet? It should appear after that. If so, than maybe you're looking in the wrong place? It should be in your Documents folder.
  • Kyla_lashaeKyla_lashae Posts: 1 New Member
    edited March 2015
    i would really appreciate if someone could help me ....everytime i open up my Sims i just see the play button an when i click it ...it goes straight to add a sim an my add a sim button is completely gone..an everytime i try to save my game it says "error saving game" something like that
  • TiredTigerRunTiredTigerRun Posts: 1 New Member
    Another update, another crash. Honestly i feel the EA team should have more respect for modders, because they raise incentive to play the game more often. (Infinite, unresponsive, loading screen when CC is in my mods folder.) This is the first time they have been going through Origin.. Used to be they released patches through the sims game launcher, and now one is forced to update and not pick the patch they wish to use that's best for their os... I feel like that's why this is happening.. I feel it's especially unfair for modders who have to update their mod anytime EA decides to update, Modding is so much more difficult this time.. Why not be like Bethesda and give you the freedom and tools to mod easily?! Because they lose money... They have already replaced many mods and integrated them into the base game, which is good but they don't even listen to the community it seems like.. Sorry if i'm making unfair assumptions and this happens to offend you, but it's how i feel...
    :(
  • WitchspellWitchspell Posts: 3 New Member
    This update has ruined everything, so many players aren't even bothering to okay anymore because 1. it's without mods/cc and that's boring, and 2. it has an infinite ts4 screen. I refuse to play until they fix this.
    edited March 2015
    Another update, another crash. Honestly i feel the EA team should have more respect for modders, because they raise incentive to play the game more often. (Infinite, unresponsive, loading screen when CC is in my mods folder.) This is the first time they have been going through Origin.. Used to be they released patches through the sims game launcher, and now one is forced to update and not pick the patch they wish to use that's best for their os... I feel like that's why this is happening.. I feel it's especially unfair for modders who have to update their mod anytime EA decides to update, Modding is so much more difficult this time.. Why not be like Bethesda and give you the freedom and tools to mod easily?! Because they lose money... They have already replaced many mods and integrated them into the base game, which is good but they don't even listen to the community it seems like.. Sorry if i'm making unfair assumptions and this happens to offend you, but it's how i feel...:(
    Witchspell wrote: »
    This update has ruined everything, so many players aren't even bothering to okay anymore because 1. it's without mods/cc and that's boring, and 2. it has an infinite ts4 screen. I refuse to play until they fix this.

So you're both assuming, wrongly, that the majority of players play like you? If you play with CC/Mods then you have to be aware that after each patch they may not work. It is then up to the creator of said CC/Mods to update their work to make it compatible. You should also be aware that you should move them out of your TS4 folder BEFORE updating. This isn't rocket science, it's simple common sense and is written on practically every single Mod/CC site and help site relating to The Sims. If you chose not to follow the advice given to you then you only have yourself to blame.

Why should EA be responsible for thousands of pieces of CC/Mods working with their patches? They shouldn't and you would have seen the warning when you enabled Script Mods in your game and installed 3rd party content.

Your world is not going to come to a grinding halt just because, for a few days, you can't play your game without your CC/Mods.

Sorry if this post offends you but it's how I feel.
    apple-signature.png
  • diamandadiamanda Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2015
    Anyone else getting an eternal refresh symbol when using CC hair?

I've been playing TS4 on my macbook with around 150 CC files, which all worked totally fine without any crashes. I then installed the game on my iMac (early 2009), which surprisingly runs great, although when I copied my mods folder from my macbook I started seeing problems with the CC on the iMac.

I get the green plumbob refresh symbol in place of where my sim's icon should be, whenever I try to use a CC hair... and it lasts forever and eventually crashes the game.

I've been through the forum and read all the updates on installing CC and mods on a mac, but I haven't been able to find anyone else experiencing the same specific problem.

Any help would be really appreciated!
  • yelly201yelly201 Posts: 79 Member
    Another update, another crash.... Infinite, unresponsive, loading screen when CC is in my mods folder.

This is also happening to me now.

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    When you updated, did you move your Mod/CC folder out of your game to update? If not, then a piece of your CC/Mod may no longer work with this particular update and you should check the creator's site to see if they updated. You should always do this with every patch/update as the new patch may change how a particular piece of code works thus rendering the CC unusable. Sorry to sound like a naysayer, but this happened with TS3 as well.

To narrow down which piece of CC may be causing the problem, simply add only a few pieces back into your game at a time and start up your game. When you find the particular hair/clothing/furniture, go back to the site you got the piece from and see if the creator has updated to the latest patch. That is the easiest way to handle the problem.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    You should always do this with every patch/update as the new patch may change how a particular piece of code works thus rendering the CC unusable.

So what you're saying is, the CC could potentially be altered if it was left in the mods folder during an update? even if I remove the CC from the folder, repair the game, and add the CC back, the file could be permanently corrupted?

Plumb.
    yelly201 wrote: »
    You should always do this with every patch/update as the new patch may change how a particular piece of code works thus rendering the CC unusable.

So what you're saying is, the CC could potentially be altered if it was left in the mods folder during an update? even if I remove the CC from the folder, repair the game, and add the CC back, the file could be permanently corrupted?

Plumb.

No, she's saying the game code can change which may affect the way the CC/Mods work and corrupt your game (as is evident in the 26.03 patch). The CC/Mod creator needs to update their work accordingly.

apple-signature.png

Plumb.

No, she's saying the game code can change which may affect the way the CC/Mods work and corrupt your game (as is evident in the 26.03 patch). The CC/Mod creator needs to update their work accordingly.

Oh, this makes so much more sense. Thanks @BluebellFlora!

Plumb.

Oh, this makes so much more sense. Thanks @BluebellFlora!

You're welcome but Tremayne''s response was very clear - CC/Mods can be confusing though! :)

apple-signature.png
  • spacecadet103spacecadet103 Posts: 2 New Member
    i have a mac and play sims 4 through origin. i enabled script mods in the game options and restarted the game so it could take effect. then i downloaded a bunch of mods put them in the Sims 4>Mods folder. the Resource file is still in that folder as well. now when i try to start the game it gives me this message "Unable to start: Cannot start because required game data is missing or damaged. Please try reinstalling the game. [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000:00000000]" If i remove the mods from the folder, the game works (thankfully). but i would like to play sims with my mods. how can i fix this?