March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issues with Mods and CC in The Sims 4 on Mac

14567810...Next

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    @IreenaSilver It could be that the mods are outdated or no longer supported. Sometimes modders create fixes to immediate problems that EA has yet to address in a patch. When a new patch is released, it is VERY important to always remove all mods because the mods may cause conflicts within the game code itself and make the game unplayable. Same thing with CC. The CC could be causing conflicts with the mods themselves as well. While CC is nice, sometimes it can cause problems within the game itself. This is true whether you run the game on a Mac or a Windows machine.

Whenever a new EP or SP or Patch is released, always check back with the creators of the mods or CC to see if they have updated them before updating your game. Back with TS3, I never updated until I had checked with my sites to see if they had updated to the latest version of the game.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    @BluebellFlora and @IreenaSilver , hi there:

As a general rule mods should work identically between Mac and PC.

However there is currently a Mac specific issue where large amounts of CC (2000+ or so) will cause the game to fail - most reliably I have seen it fail to connect to the gallery, but it could also cause the game to fail to launch. Given that you mention that all your mods work individually, but cause the game to crash when they are all present, and that it was working for on PC makes me suspect you could be hitting this issue. We are working on a fix.

You could try using one of the community tools to merge all your CC into one package until we've fixed the issue, the problem has to do with the number of individual files opened by the game.

-SGMS
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @SimGuruModSquad

Thanks for keeping us informed :)
    apple-signature.png
  • chellanchellan Posts: 6 New Member
    my game says that my mod is active, but I'm unable to use it. does anyone know why this may be??
  • IreenaSilverIreenaSilver Posts: 3 New Member
    I've been testing CC all week, I don't have any mods at all anymore. But I was busy uploading all the CC that said it doesn't work to here for your leisure, if anyone wanted to test any of it:
    https : // mega . nz /#F!KNJijKJT!3SD1lMGqPKW6VSjzqGb5iw
    Let me know if you test any of them! Or if there are any problems on your end.
  • CrichtonFanCrichtonFan Posts: 11 New Member
    Since the 2016 Easter update I can't install the majority of custom content. Before the update I had 6000 files and the game was working just fine. When I try and add new CC now the game comes up with an error message and tells me to uninstall the game and reinstall it which I've done. I'd also removed all CC and the game works, and I can put back all the CC that I had in the game before. I've also tried taking out all the old CC and trying the new CC one by one and the major portion of it stops the game from loading. So I've gone through 1000 new files and none of these work. If it were a handful I'd say that it had something to do with mistakes made in the CC, but this much CC it has to be the game. I've thoroughly checked for conflicts and can't find any, and I've been very thorough. All of these files are used by hundreds of other people and work for them. I've also been in touch with EA technical support and all they can say is that EA doesn't support custom content usage.
    If anyone has even the smallest clue I'd be forever grateful if you'd share it. I'm losing motivation when it comes to caring about the game and I'm going to throw it in pretty soon.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    If you are having issues with large amounts (2000+) of CC not working on the Mac , please try again on the patch that was released this morning (version 1.17.7).

Thanks,
    SGMS
  • KatieAmeliaKatieAmelia Posts: 1 New Member
    I have some custom content that downloaded and some of them say the are package files but instead of having the white paper ico above it some of them have a black box with "EXEC" written in green in the top left corner of the black box. I notice that the kind with the black boxes with the "EXEC" don't show up in my game. Do I need something to fix that. Because that usually happens when I download a mod and when I download it says it is a zip file and when I put in the MODS folder it the package icon is the black icon with "EXEC"
    You need some kind of unzipping program like Stuffit Expander (which is free). Anything with a .EXE is not going to run in your game. All Mods and CC must end in .package.
  • sincehewas18sincehewas18 Posts: 1 New Member
    @TheMynx for me, if the picture is black with the green "exec," it doesn't work. if it has a white page, it works.
  • Amber1111Amber1111 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey, I have downloaded cc hair and it showed up in my game when I make a character but when i click to put it on my sim there head appears bald. I am using a MacBook Pro version 10.10.5 I don't if the versions the problem or what? I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to use cc hair without it showing up bald.
    Thx
    Some CC isn't compatible with the latest version of the Sims 4 no matter which OS you play on (Windows, Mac). Many times it will show up in CAS, but then when the game is running it disappears. You'll have to speak with the creator of the CC to see if they have updated it to be compatible with the latest version.
  • baekentiebaekentie Posts: 1 New Member
    Does this mean that any downloaded content that ends up being exec files should just be deleted from a Mac?
    baekentie wrote: »
    Does this mean that any downloaded content that ends up being exec files should just be deleted from a Mac?

Mods and CC should be .package files, not .exe files which are Windows installer files.

apple-signature.png
  • FireFlower29FireFlower29 Posts: 168 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have some custom content that downloaded and some of them say the are package files but instead of having the white paper ico above it some of them have a black box with "EXEC" written in green in the top left corner of the black box. I notice that the kind with the black boxes with the "EXEC" don't show up in my game. Do I need something to fix that. Because that usually happens when I download a mod and when I download it says it is a zip file and when I put in the MODS folder it the package icon is the black icon with "EXEC"

I've had this happen on many occasions....the file only "appears" as an exec file when it really isn't. This fix is easy to check it.

Open "Terminal" from the Applications>Utilities folder, and type in "chmod 644" and a space, then drag the file onto the terminal window, make sure the terminal window is the active window, and press enter. If it wasn't really a windows exec file, it will change to a white page icon that mac uses. If it doesn't change, it's a windows based file that mac won't read.

On another note, regardless of whether the file is in a mac format, many items I've downloaded just haven't worked no matter what, so in my opinion the original file is possibly corrupt or doesn't work for whatever reason. In that case you're out of luck. :(

Hope this helps :)
  • Looney_LizLooney_Liz Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi so, sorry if this question is off topic but I'm new to the forum and posting in general. But I want to start downloading mods and cc but I can't find the mods folder anywhere on my macbook pro. I've tried entering 'mods' and 'electronic arts' in multiple search bars on my computer but I can't find them anywhere. When I go to 'The Sims 4' folder in my laptop and click 'Show Package Contents', 3 folders come up: 'Contents', '__installer' and 'Support'. I've looked through every sub-folder and file within those three and there's no 'mods' folder.
    Can anyone help me figure this out?
    Thank you :)
    Looney_Liz wrote: »
    Hi so, sorry if this question is off topic but I'm new to the forum and posting in general. But I want to start downloading mods and cc but I can't find the mods folder anywhere on my macbook pro. I've tried entering 'mods' and 'electronic arts' in multiple search bars on my computer but I can't find them anywhere. When I go to 'The Sims 4' folder in my laptop and click 'Show Package Contents', 3 folders come up: 'Contents', '__installer' and 'Support'. I've looked through every sub-folder and file within those three and there's no 'mods' folder.
    Can anyone help me figure this out?
    Thank you :)

Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods :)

apple-signature.png
  • unicorn_h0eunicorn_h0e Posts: 4 New Member
    I need help!!
    When the game updates, I always take my mods out of my folder and put them back.
    When I had the latest update, I put my mods back, restarted the game and ticked 'allow mods'
    But the mods that were applied to my sims eg. eyelashes/makeup (all of that) disappeared on my sims.
    (but they still come up in the editing your sims in CAS)
    I cannot be bothered to go through all of my sims and re-apply all of the CC that I had previously placed on them.
    I have tried everything ?
    -Restarted the game
    -I got my saved sims from the gallery- the CC is on the saved sims, but it doesn't show up in in CAS (Maybe i saved it twice? Is that possible)
    Also, for example, careers wise, if I were to replace the CC free sim to the saved CC sim (from my personal gallery) the career would be restarted (which makes sense, but I just want the CC that was on the Sims to BE THERE)
    -Sorted out ALL of my 500+ mods and put them in folders, added them back to electronic arts mods folder one at a time....
    -Got rid of bad CC/Mods

Computer: Mac OS Sierra :)
    Not sure what you really need help with, but unfortunately there is no CC sorter for the Mac. You need to keep track of where you download your CC from and whenever there is a new patch or EP/SP/GP check back with that site to see if there is any update needed for the CC. Same with Mods. Whenever EA updates/patches the game, they often correct bugs that many Mods may correct (which means the Mods have to be corrected or rewritten) change coding that can affect how Mods often work, or may make some Mods out of date.