Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It upsets me so much that people still want multiplayer even after Simcity 2013.

It makes me so irritated whenever I'm reminded that there's a petition around here with a relatively large amount of signatures that wants Maxis to add in an online mode to the game completely oblivious to the fact that the last Simcity showed exactly how much damage a forced multiplayer aspect will do to a game about SIMULATION.

They try to justify the stupid idea by saying "BUT WE WANTS IT TO OPTIONAL! HURR DURR!" again being blissfully unaware that EA doesn't understand what optional means and not realizing that pretty much all of TS4's shortcomings came from it being originally developed as a dumb social game like Simcity 2013. The sad thing is that if this continues we might get the final dumbed-down social game in the next iteration of the series because these people fail to understand that the novel concept of playing The Sims with your friends online will wear out fast - just look at The Sims Social on FB and you'll see what I mean.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. It's just that every time I see someone request multiplayer for stupid reasons it ticks me off so badly that these were the people Maxis originally wanted to rope in with Olympus and knowing that the toned-down nature of this game is the result of that just adds insult to injury.

Comments

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Going to be a long miserable life for you if you are ticked off/upset/irritated whenever someone wants something different to what you want. Nobody says you have to like the idea or buy into it, the chances of something like this happening in sims now is little to none. I guess you could just not read the thread with the petition?
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    > @Jessa_Dakkar said:
    > Going to be a long miserable life for you if you are ticked off/upset/irritated whenever someone wants something different to what you want. Nobody says you have to like the idea or buy into it, the chances of something like this happening in sims now is little to none. I guess you could just not read the thread with the petition?

I'm not upset because people want something different from what I want. I'm upset because people want something that will definitely kill a series that I love. If they go pester Maxis with an online spinoff then that's fine. But they shouldn't go around telling them they should add a multiplayer feature in a main game after Simcity 2013 crashed and burned spectacularly.
  • Options
    If they feel they should, then they should. And EA seems perfectly capable of killing a series without suggestions from the fanbase. I think the reason that Olympus was scrapped was in great part because of the SimCity fiasco. I don't see them going back again, and I don't see the harm at all in people asking for what they want.
  • Options
    If they feel they should, then they should. And EA seems perfectly capable of killing a series without suggestions from the fanbase. I think the reason that Olympus was scrapped was in great part because of the SimCity fiasco. I don't see them going back again, and I don't see the harm at all in people asking for what they want.

The problem with the amount of people asking is that if enough of them demand online EA might seriously reconsider giving the social game concept a try again. Yes, these people want it to be optional but what they don't know is that Maxis has to completely base the game on the online aspects and it's why TS4 feels so bare compared to the older games - the devs basically had a fully online game made and had to rework it's entire framework to fit offline play.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Going to be a long miserable life for you if you are ticked off/upset/irritated whenever someone wants something different to what you want. Nobody says you have to like the idea or buy into it, the chances of something like this happening in sims now is little to none. I guess you could just not read the thread with the petition?

I think his or her point is [many of players are under the assumption] that TS4 failures stem from EA trying to move this franchise to a online social platform. So it's frustrating to have a set of fans who [if this were the case, would be the ones EA would be marketing to and] telling EA exactly what it wants to hear viz. online gaming is the future of all EA games. For those of us who don't want a pantheon in our sims' world, the idea that feedback EA receives states otherwise is upsetting. Especially if this ever does happen, EA will tell everyone unrepentantly "Well this is what you asked for." Wasn't something like that said about toddlers, because TS3 players kept complaining about them and didn't play them enough?

I'm just taking a poke at the OP's mindset, but I reckon this is his or her motivation for posting. I think it is natural to be irritated when someone opposes you and you are impotent to do anything about the opposition. It's most likely a leftover innate feeling from when our apelike ancestors used to handle these kind of disagreements by pummelling each other with clubs. So glad the sims wasn't around back then!
  • Options

I think his or her point is [many of players are under the assumption] that TS4 failures stem from EA trying to move this franchise to a online social platform. So it's frustrating to have a set of fans who [if this were the case, would be the ones EA would be marketing to and] telling EA exactly what it wants to hear viz. online gaming is the future of all EA games. For those of us who don't want a pantheon in our sims' world, the idea that feedback EA receives states otherwise is upsetting. Especially if this ever does happen, EA will tell everyone unrepentantly "Well this is what you asked for." Wasn't something like that said about toddlers, because TS3 players kept complaining about them and didn't play them enough?

I'm just taking a poke at the OP's mindset, but I reckon this is his or her motivation for posting. I think it is natural to be irritated when someone opposes you and you are impotent to do anything about the opposition. It's most likely a leftover innate feeling from when our apelike ancestors used to handle these kind of disagreements by pummelling each other with clubs. So glad the sims wasn't around back then!

Despite the jab at my mindset at the end this is exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

SimCity only had issues because the demand for SimCIty 2013 exceeded what they thought it was going to sell, and the Servers they set up for the game weren't big enough for all players.

They know how big The Sims franchise is, and would set aside the correct amount of servers in the future.

The Sims Bustin Out was online, and it was a lot of fun in its day :)
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    SimCity only had issues because the demand for SimCIty 2013 exceeded what they thought it was going to sell, and the Servers they set up for the game weren't big enough for all players.

They know how big The Sims franchise is, and would set aside the correct amount of servers in the future.

The thing about Simcity 2013 is that its problems extended to more than just the server reliability. Every aspect of the game suffered because of social play being forced on everyone. The small cities, the lack of terrain editing, the lack of actual customization on the city, it all trails back to the game needing those limits imposed because it was an online game.
  • Options

The thing about Simcity 2013 is that its problems extended to more than just the server reliability. Every aspect of the game suffered because of social play being forced on everyone. The small cities, the lack of terrain editing, the lack of actual customization on the city, it all trails back to the game needing those limits imposed because it was an online game.
  • Options

The problem with the amount of people asking is that if enough of them demand online EA might seriously reconsider giving the social game concept a try again. Yes, these people want it to be optional but what they don't know is that Maxis has to completely base the game on the online aspects and it's why TS4 feels so bare compared to the older games - the devs basically had a fully online game made and had to rework it's entire framework to fit offline play.

The people who have voiced their opinions opposing an online aspect seem to me to be in a much greater number and twice as vocal about their hate for the idea than are the requests of a few who would like it. Just asking for something isn't going to make it happen in this game, some things just aren't going to be. Open world? CaST? Gradual aging and adjustable height? I would be fine with EA giving the online game another go, as a standalone.
  • Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    edited February 2015
    Respect other people's opinion without getting so upset over it, you would probably live a longer life if you do...
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm probably going to offend / upset some people here but I feel very very strongly about this topic. I'm going to be very one-sided and even probably a bit biased & selfish. I hope no one takes it personally because it isn't intended that way.

The thing that irritates me more than anything about the ones who repeatedly ask for online elements to be added into the game is they often don't stop and think about what that actually means for the game (in fairness I don't think it is everyone - but a lot of people seem to have deluded themselves on this). I think some people are genuinely convinced you could take a game like The Sims, turn it into an online game and have it play exactly the same when the fact of the matter is it wouldn't and couldn't.

I'm of the opinion that this obsession (because that's what I think it is - not just related to this game but in general) with taking games online is ridiculous. Not every single game needs to be multiplayer / online to be enjoyable and not every single game SHOULD be multiplayer / online. Yes there have been some fantastic games that have introduced both a good single player mode and a good online / multiplayer mode but for the most part what seems to happen, from my experience, is that the multiplayer / online play is either added on as an after thought so it's absolutely rubbish or it has been added in at the cost of the main game so the main game is rubbish.

If we're talking a completely separate, un-related game that just so happens to have The Sims in the title (because let's face it, that's exactly what an online version of the game would become anyway) then I honestly have no problem with it. The people who want the game to be online can buy that and my single player experience can be left alone, unhindered by all that unnecessary rubbish.

However, call me selfish or whatever but I will fight tooth and nail to keep that nonsense out of the main game, including an "optional" online element since EA don't even seem to understand what optional means anyway (I.E. Showtime with the mandatory Simporting to unlock objects).

Edit: Shortened ever so slightly, I think I ended up repeating myself at one point so yeah ^_^;
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I am not familiar with many social games because I don't buy/play them. All I do know that with Sims 3, learned all I needed to know about being in a game, trying to get something completed and waiting on another to come on just for Simport was very frustrating, a total headache. First some beg for a Simport then they cut off the game or go to bed while you are stuck trying to wait for your sim to come back. The invasive, chatting notifications that become rumor-mongering and fights made me turn off being online at all while playing my Sims 3 game. So I missed out on achievements, new objects and finishing my performer's goal because I have to depend on another player that's not dependable.

Most of the time while having notifications on, not too many are playing, it's people on the game to chat. I ain't got time for dat! :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I'm probably going to offend / upset some people here but I feel very very strongly about this topic. I'm going to be very one-sided and even probably a bit biased & selfish. I hope no one takes it personally because it isn't intended that way.

The thing that irritates me more than anything about the ones who repeatedly ask for online elements to be added into the game is they often don't stop and think about what that actually means for the game (in fairness I don't think it is everyone - but a lot of people seem to have deluded themselves on this). I think some people are genuinely convinced you could take a game like The Sims, turn it into an online game and have it play exactly the same when the fact of the matter is it wouldn't and couldn't.

I'm of the opinion that this obsession (because that's what I think it is - not just related to this game but in general) with taking games online is ridiculous. Not every single game needs to be multiplayer / online to be enjoyable and not every single game SHOULD be multiplayer / online. Yes there have been some fantastic games that have introduced both a good single player mode and a good online / multiplayer mode but for the most part what seems to happen, from my experience, is that the multiplayer / online play is either added on as an after thought so it's absolutely rubbish or it has been added in at the cost of the main game so the main game is rubbish.

If we're talking a completely separate, un-related game that just so happens to have The Sims in the title (because let's face it, that's exactly what an online version of the game would become anyway) then I honestly have no problem with it. The people who want the game to be online can buy that and my single player experience can be left alone, unhindered by all that unnecessary rubbish.

However, call me selfish or whatever but I will fight tooth and nail to keep that nonsense out of the main game, including an "optional" online element since EA don't even seem to understand what optional means anyway (I.E. Showtime with the mandatory Simporting to unlock objects).

This, in my opinion. Exactly.

• Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2015
    Well, I bet if EA were to try turn the sims into an mmo or co-op thing again many of those people clamoring for online this and social that would probably eat their words. I feel like a lot of people just might not realize that "I love the sims" and "my best friend loves the sims" and "we like to talk about our sim games with each other" does not logically equal "lets make the sims an online game and it will be amazing." I honestly feel that people just are not thinking when they are asking for this. For me what makes the sims the sims really would not be possible in an online environment where my world wouldn't really be mine and where at least some of the other sims would be actual other people.

I love playing the sims, but I wouldn't even want my very best friend on earth to be in my game with me. I have a close friend irl who enjoys the sims too, but we are perfectly happy sharing our simming moments offline and making full use of the single player experience.

I really hope EA realizes that the sims online is NOT the sims, it's second life, and that's not what sim players want, and it's probably not what a lot of those who think they want sims online want either.
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    ...And EA seems perfectly capable of killing a series without suggestions from the fanbase.

[img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/r/2013/09/Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif[/img]
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member

Edit: Shortened ever so slightly, I think I ended up repeating myself at one point so yeah ^_^;

You're right, you are going to make an eye or two twitch not by your professed disdain for the concept of an online sims, but the totally dishonest way you go about presenting it. YES you could make a game like the sims that is multiplayer and it be the same game as any other sims game. You say that "not every game needs to be online" and that suggests that you even know that it could be done. Wanting this or that game to have a multiplayer option is now an "obsession?" See again, its your combative choice of words that would totally steal the glory away from any real argument you could have outside of how you feel about it personally. I could also say the same, that some people have this "obsession" to preserve sims' sacred single player status. Catch phrases like "I will fight tooth and nail" seem quite a bit more "obsessed" than "hey if you made that I would buy it." Just saying.

• Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited February 2015

Despite the jab at my mindset at the end this is exactly how I feel.

Not a jab, I swear! I feel the same way :wink:

LOL! I just realised that poke = jab hahaha! Okay, I probably should have said "guess at", but isn't that idiomatic? "to take a poke at something" means to try and suss out, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited February 2015
    ... the chances of something like this happening in sims now is little to none.

If the series survives this catastrophe at all, I'd say the chances are close to 100%. You know how they'll spin it to their shareholders.

"It failed because we catered to a vocal minority who are stuck in the past. Single player games are dead and TS4 proved it."

Most of the shareholders aren't gamers. They won't know any better.
  • Options
    Taranatar9 wrote: »
    ... the chances of something like this happening in sims now is little to none.

If the series survives this catastrophe at all, I'd say the chances are close to 100%. You know how they'll spin it to their shareholders.

"It failed because we catered to a vocal minority who are stuck in the past. Single player games are dead and TS4 proved it."

Most of the shareholders aren't gamers. They won't know any better.

This is exactly what I think will happen if this keeps up.

People have no idea how much forcing online play in a game that has been single player it's entire existence will damage the gameplay. I have other friends who love The Sims and talk about it often but we don't want it be multiplayer. It's stupidly naive of people to think that EA will put online in a game and make it optional. Chances are if that happens we won't have an offline game that can be played online - we'll have an online game that we can maybe play if our connection drops out.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    Even if EA did introduce "optional" online gameplay alot of time, energy and resources would've been spent on a feature that may seem novel to a few but would be too shallow to be enjoyable and many simmers (like myself) would never use. I consider that a waste when EA could be making better expansions and content instead. It would be a huge mistake.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    OP, I sympathize, I really do. On the old TS3 forum we would see similar threads from time to time and it just made me crazy. I knew it would result in a game that lacked almost all customization, that was limited to young adult sims only, that was basically a an online chat game that had to rely on EA's servers so it would be very small. I bought SimCity '13, and experienced that fiasco, and yes the problems with that game went way beyond the inadequate servers at launch.

And if you really think about it, yes, almost all the shortcomings of TS4 can be attributed to it starting off as an online game. No world customization to speak of, sims are clones of the YA (except for the baby object and children), and the neighborhoods are ridiculously tiny. Anyone who can't see that this would be what an online version would look like isn't looking closely enough, IMO.

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

You're right, you are going to make an eye or two twitch not by your professed disdain for the concept of an online sims, but the totally dishonest way you go about presenting it. YES you could make a game like the sims that is multiplayer and it be the same game as any other sims game. You say that "not every game needs to be online" and that suggests that you even know that it could be done. Wanting this or that game to have a multiplayer option is now an "obsession?" See again, its your combative choice of words that would totally steal the glory away from any real argument you could have outside of how you feel about it personally. I could also say the same, that some people have this "obsession" to preserve sims' sacred single player status. Catch phrases like "I will fight tooth and nail" seem quite a bit more "obsessed" than "hey if you made that I would buy it." Just saying.

I disagree. Perhaps it's possible for EA to make a game just like a any other sim game and put it online. But I can almost guarantee you that they will not do that. The Sims has always been a game rated Teen and above and I do not believe they will ever risk changing that rating by allowing all age stages in an online multi-player game. The game would also require way more resources than EA has shown willing to support if players are allowed too much creative freedom in the game.

This is why so many of us believe that putting the main game online would destroy it. I'm fine if they want to make a side game for those who want an online version but I do not want the main game to go online.

That said, TS4 is obviously a big step in that direction and I wouldn't be surprised if they follow through with it for TS5. Very, very saddened, but not surprised.

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

Which is why I never bought it and still find it undesirable at even discount prices. :p
    I will buy Cities: Skylines before I will buy Sim City.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    Having a T rating and being an international game means EA has to cater to nations that don't exactly agree with what the States finds acceptable in terms of language, nudity, etc. Unless the servers are aggressively moderated - which would cost a fortune in manpower alone - I don't see it happening. Just my opinion.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club