The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 27 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.
You are browsing an archived read-only section of the forums. The Sims 4 Help Center can now be found here.

- The Sims 4 help, troubleshooting & BUG Thread -

Comments

  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    @sutivirus12 are you also not able to play your game? The hours played and date thing is a non issue and is not a game breaker thankfully.

    @CrystalShimmer please ignore the hours played and date thing, that's not the reason why you can't play. Did you try the new user account on your Mac and it still didn't work?

    I didn't try the new user account thing...i should try on other computer to see, but until this day I can't connect to the gallery.
    I started the game to try and see if it was the server which i doubt

    Just set up a new user account on your Mac in System Preferences :)

    apple-signature.png
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    I posted this in Technical, but it might be a Mac problem.

    WHY WOULD WHITE CABINETS SHOW UP AS BLUISH BLACK?
    dizzydee_k wrote: »
    This seems to have happened mostly to wall cabinets, but have also noticed that certain textured wall patterns have become pixellated with blue. I've tried repairing my game and doing a factory reset. Have also played around with the graphic settings.

    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M

    NVIDIA Web Driver: 367.15.10.1015f01
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    dizzydee_k wrote: »
    I posted this in Technical, but it might be a Mac problem.

    WHY WOULD WHITE CABINETS SHOW UP AS BLUISH BLACK?
    dizzydee_k wrote: »
    This seems to have happened mostly to wall cabinets, but have also noticed that certain textured wall patterns have become pixellated with blue. I've tried repairing my game and doing a factory reset. Have also played around with the graphic settings.

    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M

    NVIDIA Web Driver: 367.15.10.1015f01

    If you're running Sierra 10.12.1 you need to update the NVIDIA driver to 367.15.10.15f03

    I'm not convinced at how stable the current NVIDIA drivers are in Sierra, does your game not work with the Apple driver?
    apple-signature.png
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    @BluebellFlora I switched to the NVIDIA driver to see if that helped. I think it's a lighting issue. I moved my save over to another PC and it persisted. I added my two cents to the AHQ EA lighting thread.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    I installed the Sims 4 a few days ago on my Mac, and my game has been very laggy and I don't count the number of times it crashed !
    When a new The Sims 4 folder is generated, there is no lag for a while, the game runs smoothly for an hour or two, and then I start seeing lag generally when my sim is on a community lot, generally a festival, or wants to use a rocket. Once lag appears, it's barely noticeable but it's only a matter of minutes if not seconds before the game crashes without any other warning. And once it happens, and I restart the game, the more I save and the more lag accumulates and the more crashes happen ! This until it crashes after 10 seconds... So I regenerate my folder, and I can play without problems... But for only an hour or two, like previously. And then it crashes again. It's almost unplayable.
    I repaired the game, with no result.
    Origin in game is disabled.
    The issue is there both with and without mods / CC. And regardless of graphical settings. It really seems linked to some community lots and objects : the more sims go to community lots and the more they use some specific objects, the more lag and crashing happens.
    I only have the base game with Get to work and City living installed.
    My specs (the 2.9 GHz / NVIDIA GT 750M one) : https://support.apple.com/kb/SP687?viewlocale=en_US&locale=fr_FR
    Serial : DCPPD3U7FQMW
    I use Avira, Memory Clean (but I haven't noticed it cleaning while TS4 is running - TS4 is in windowed mode) and Time Machine (but its saves are on an external hard drive only, which is always unplugged while TS4 is running). I often keep Activity monitor open, and other than that all large applications that can be closed are closed.
    Can somebody help me please ? :s
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    I installed the Sims 4 a few days ago on my Mac, and my game has been very laggy and I don't count the number of times it crashed !
    When a new The Sims 4 folder is generated, there is no lag for a while, the game runs smoothly for an hour or two, and then I start seeing lag generally when my sim is on a community lot, generally a festival, or wants to use a rocket. Once lag appears, it's barely noticeable but it's only a matter of minutes if not seconds before the game crashes without any other warning. And once it happens, and I restart the game, the more I save and the more lag accumulates and the more crashes happen ! This until it crashes after 10 seconds... So I regenerate my folder, and I can play without problems... But for only an hour or two, like previously. And then it crashes again. It's almost unplayable.
    I repaired the game, with no result.
    Origin in game is disabled.
    The issue is there both with and without mods / CC. And regardless of graphical settings. It really seems linked to some community lots and objects : the more sims go to community lots and the more they use some specific objects, the more lag and crashing happens.
    I only have the base game with Get to work and City living installed.
    My specs (the 2.9 GHz / NVIDIA GT 750M one) : https://support.apple.com/kb/SP687?viewlocale=en_US&locale=fr_FR
    Serial : DCPPD3U7FQMW
    I use Avira, Memory Clean (but I haven't noticed it cleaning while TS4 is running - TS4 is in windowed mode) and Time Machine (but its saves are on an external hard drive only, which is always unplugged while TS4 is running). I often keep Activity monitor open, and other than that all large applications that can be closed are closed.
    Can somebody help me please ? :s

    How much RAM does your Mac have?

    Have you disabled your antivirus to see if it makes a difference?

    Even if your backup drive is unplugged, Time Machine will still look for it if it is enabled. Make sure it is disabled in System Preferences.

    Sims 4 is 64-bit and doesn't have horrific memory issues like Sims 3 which leaked memory like a sieve and plateaued at 2Gb RAM, you shouldn't need to purge RAM and you really don't need a 3rd party app running in the background to do it for you. You can do it via Terminal.

    How much RAM is the game AND Origin using when it starts to really lag?
    apple-signature.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    8 GB.
    I disabled the antivirus and Time Machine, and I haven't seen the game crashing again for the moment, bit it's still laggy, less than before. I've controlled the fps and it's reduced to about 15, especially on community lots (it also happens in apartments but much more rarely). Normally live mode starts between 90 and 60.
    The game itself uses about 1.8 GB and Origin always 115 MB. There is always about 3 GB of available RAM (I included cache), whether the game is laggy or not.
    About purging RAM, the thing is that for everyday use, I had serious memory issues before I didn't do it in an automated way. It solved the worst problems, and in addition, as I usually let BOINC Manager run in background (which I always quit before playing any game), it always has 4 or 5 tasks using 500 MB each. I let Memory Clean purge RAM when a threshold is reached. In Terminal, I'd have to do it manually and a lot of times. Fortunately, when TS4 is running it never reaches the threshold, I've never seen it purging RAM while I'm playing.
    But I now have discovered another problem... The FPS is scary in CAS. I've seen it peak at 200 :o Is there an FPS limiter you can recommend to me ? I'd also like to know if there is something that can work for TS4 in windowed mode.
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    8 GB.
    I disabled the antivirus and Time Machine, and I haven't seen the game crashing again for the moment, bit it's still laggy, less than before. I've controlled the fps and it's reduced to about 15, especially on community lots (it also happens in apartments but much more rarely). Normally live mode starts between 90 and 60.
    The game itself uses about 1.8 GB and Origin always 115 MB. There is always about 3 GB of available RAM (I included cache), whether the game is laggy or not.
    About purging RAM, the thing is that for everyday use, I had serious memory issues before I didn't do it in an automated way. It solved the worst problems, and in addition, as I usually let BOINC Manager run in background (which I always quit before playing any game), it always has 4 or 5 tasks using 500 MB each. I let Memory Clean purge RAM when a threshold is reached. In Terminal, I'd have to do it manually and a lot of times. Fortunately, when TS4 is running it never reaches the threshold, I've never seen it purging RAM while I'm playing.
    But I now have discovered another problem... The FPS is scary in CAS. I've seen it peak at 200 :o Is there an FPS limiter you can recommend to me ? I'd also like to know if there is something that can work for TS4 in windowed mode.

    You can limit the FPS in Documents » Electronic Arts » The Sims 4 » Options.ini. There is line that says "frameratelimit". That you can set to whatever you like, 30, or 60... 60 is the best.

    I set mine to 30, and my MacBook Air's temperature won't go above about 60C degrees.
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Oh no, it crashed again. No lag before, TS4 used 1.7 GB and Origin 115 MB. It quit without warning. I don't get it. :/
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    Do you have Origin in game disabled? That always helps. And play in windowed mode :)
    apple-signature.png
  • kristinadwookristinadwoo Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello - I just downloaded the Sims 4 on my 2012 Macbook Pro. The first night I played it was totally fine and then the next day as I was playing for a couple hours the screen glitched then just crashed. I've tried a few times again and within 2 minutes on live mode it crashes again. Here are my details below:

    Mac model (15" MacBook Pro - Mid 2012)
    Processor (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7)
    Memory (8GB 1600 MHz DDR3)
    Graphics (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB)
    Operating System (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6)
    Official EA EPs/SPs/GPs installed (None)
    Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? (No)
    Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? (Safari, Origin)
    Do you have any CC/mods installed? (I don't believe so... I don't know what this is.)

    I have tried repairing the game and uninstalling/reinstalling Origin with no luck.

    Any sort of help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    @kristinadwoo - that's a known bug due to your NVIDIA GPU. It's been around since El Capitan was released but interesting that it didn't happen straight away. Did you move your Sim into a house and play in the neighbourhood on the first day or just make them in CAS? What were you doing differently on the second day of play?

    @candyd - :( what's the difference between your physical RAM and the amount of RAM used in Activity Monitor when it crashes?
    apple-signature.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Physical RAM : 8 GB
    Used memory : 5.91 GB (TS4 : 1.81 GB - Origin : 114.8 MB)
    Cache : 2.07 GB
    It crashed just a few seconds after.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    Physical RAM : 8 GB
    Used memory : 5.91 GB (TS4 : 1.81 GB - Origin : 114.8 MB)
    Cache : 2.07 GB
    It crashed just a few seconds after.

    So it's not a RAM issue then as you have 2Gb spare and the game isn't hogging a huge amount...

    The only other thing that I can think of that may be causing it is your NVIDIA GPU. Have you read the known issue I linked to in my previous post? Your Mac is one of the affected ones but a symptom is also the graphics going crazy which you're not having I don't think?

    apple-signature.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    It might be that ! I saw the walls of my sim's apartment turning black once and there was lag at the same time. And I also have El Capitan. But I saw the black walls only once. No other graphical glitch.
    Edit : actually, I've just seen graphical problems a few seconds before the last crash right now.
    Post edited by Candyd on
  • kristinadwookristinadwoo Posts: 2 New Member
    I created my sim, moved them into neighbourhood, made the house, and played briefly on live play. The next day is when I played it more on live mode- so that's probably what did it. I probably played for about 3 hours before it crashed. Bummer- is there anything I can do to fix it?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,123 Member
    Please give us more details about your Mac. This is vital information so that we can help you solve your problem. The information is found under the Black Apple logo in the upper left hand corner.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    It might be that ! I saw the walls of my sim's apartment turning black once and there was lag at the same time. And I also have El Capitan. But I saw the black walls only once. No other graphical glitch.
    Edit : actually, I've just seen graphical problems a few seconds before the last crash right now.

    Yep, sounds like it. If you're up for it you could try updating the NVIDIA driver manually.
    apple-signature.png
  • ivyshayeivyshaye Posts: 1 New Member
    i can't find my sims 4 folder. i search electronic arts and that folder still exists but it's hidden in a place that makes me think that it's just been brought over from my old computer from when i played sims 3 like five years ago and not from when i downloaded sims 4 about six months ago. i am able to load and play my game with not issue, i have even tried searching for the folder after i have loaded up the game but i still can't find it. i definitely used to have it because i have installed mods to the game in the past with no errors on the game's part. those mods still are in effect but now i am unable to add new ones.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,123 Member
    There are two Sims 4 folders. One is found under Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4. This is where you place CC or Mods or can find your saved games. This is the folder that you drag to your desktop when you want to have a "vanilla" game to troubleshoot problems. (Do not delete this folder as it contains your saved games).

    The second one is found under Applications (called Sims 4) and in order to view its contents you need to right click on the icon and select "Show Package Contents". This is the actual "guts" of the game and deleting any of these files or altering them (Other than the edits for the graphics cards) can seriously mess up your game causing you to uninstall and reinstall it.

    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • TracymcTracymc Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello! I've been having problems with my game for FOREVER! I can't find any help! My problem is that my game will either crash while on the loading screen or lag and then the screen will distort and be all sorts of colors. Please let me know if these specs are the problem!
    Specs:
    Model: [iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)]
    Processor: [2.9 GHz Intel Core i5]
    Memory: [8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3]
    Graphics: [NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB]
    Operating System: [OS X El Captain Version 10.11.6]
    Extras: [City Living, Dine Out, Spa Day,Movie Hangout Stuff, Backyard Stuff] + Digital Deluxe Version
    Background Tasks: No
    CC: No, I used to. About a week after I installed it, it started doing these things.

    Please help! I've paid a lot of money for this game, I really want to play it correctly. Thank you.
    (I have screenshots of the glitch but I can't post links)
  • TracymcTracymc Posts: 2 New Member
    Oh! Also, the CC situation, this was months and months ago. About a week after I installed the CC AND uninstalled it, it started doing this. THIS WAS MONTHS AGO.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,089 Member
    Tracymc wrote: »
    Hello! I've been having problems with my game for FOREVER! I can't find any help! My problem is that my game will either crash while on the loading screen or lag and then the screen will distort and be all sorts of colors. Please let me know if these specs are the problem!
    Specs:
    Model: [iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)]
    Processor: [2.9 GHz Intel Core i5]
    Memory: [8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3]
    Graphics: [NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB]
    Operating System: [OS X El Captain Version 10.11.6]
    Extras: [City Living, Dine Out, Spa Day,Movie Hangout Stuff, Backyard Stuff] + Digital Deluxe Version
    Background Tasks: No
    CC: No, I used to. About a week after I installed it, it started doing these things.

    Please help! I've paid a lot of money for this game, I really want to play it correctly. Thank you.
    (I have screenshots of the glitch but I can't post links)

    That's the issue. Please read this - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14151690/#Comment_14151690
    apple-signature.png
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top