Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 Help & Troubleshooting Thread -

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
edited February 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
In anticipation of The Sims 4 being released later today, and not having a proper Sims 4 Mac section on the forums for us Mac users, let's use this as a thread for help and troubleshooting for the time being. If you're having problems installing or running the game, please post the following information so we can try and help (examples in brackets):

Mac model (mid-2012 15" non-Retina MacBook Pro)
Processor (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7)
Memory (16Gb RAM)
Graphics (Intel HD 4000 1Gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb)
Operating System (OS X Yosemite 10.10.2)

Official EA DLC/EPs installed (Outdoor Retreat)

Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? (Sophos, AVG, MacKeeper, SimpleCleaner)

Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? (Time Machine, Dropbox, Memory Clean)

The Mac forum for The Sims 4 is up and running:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions

:D

apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited February 2015
    Minimum system requirements for The Sims 4:

Minimum OS – Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or better
    RAM – At least 4Gb RAM
    Hard Drive – At least 10Gb of free space with at least 1Gb additional space for custom content
    Video – NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM (VRAM) of 256 MB or better
    Input – Keyboard and Mouse
    Online Requirements - Internet Connection required for product activation

Please read the following for further information:

- If you have a Mac that has an i3, i5 or i7 processor, you should be fine. These are more recent and powerful than the Intel Core 2 Duo stated in the CPU requirements.

- If you have a Mac which has the Intel 3000 or Intel 4000 or Intel 5000 graphics cards, you should be fine. The same goes for the Intel Iris and Iris Pro cards.

- If you have a 13″ MacBook Pro (non-retina) with one of the integrated Intel cards, and it has 384Mb VRAM, you can increase this to 512Mb VRAM by upgrading the system RAM to 8Gb. This will boost your game performance.

- Remember that The Sims 3 runs so appallingly on Macs because EA used Cider to make the game OS X compatible. Your game thinks it’s running in Windows, not OS X. All signs indicate that The Sims 4 will be native to Mac, as The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 were.

- If you’ve Boot Camped your Mac and you can play The Sims 4 well, this is absolutely NO indication of how well the game will play in OS X. Remember, different operating system/different drivers, even though the hardware is the same.

If you have a retina MacBook Pro you cannot upgrade RAM or memory to free up more space. They are sealed units. Well, you can but you need to be technically proficient and it will invalidate any warranty or Applecare you have on the machine. Same goes for some of the more recent iMacs. And has always applied to the MacBook Airs (apart from the first gen. which had a SSD instead of flash memory).

Please remember one very, VERY important thing. No one can say 100% the game will run on your Mac because you may have conflicting software, or your Mac may be in dire need of some basic housekeeping. But if your Mac meets these minimum system requirements then there's a pretty good chance it should work.
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
    Reserved
    apple-signature.png
  • OnlyRivvilOnlyRivvil Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks for doing this. I'll be getting the game in a few hours, it is nice to know where to come for help. Again, thanks so much
  • studpoet1studpoet1 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm sorry I can't find where I can purchase The Sims 4 for Mac. I thought it was on Origin. Is there a certain time it will be released?

Edited: Never mind. Found it.
    You're welcome @OnlyRivvil :)

@studpoet1 - It is available on Origin but the time depends on where you are. Here in the UK it is at 6pm.
    apple-signature.png
  • studpoet1studpoet1 Posts: 10 New Member
    @BluebellFlora Thanks! I figured it out it. I definitely should have searched first. It looks like it will be available for me at Noon.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    45 minutes to launch. Keeping an eye on the clock so I can download it.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • alyssaxxamazin19alyssaxxamazin19 Posts: 24 Member
    This is going to be very helpful. keeping this bookmarked for future reference :)
  • sportgal18sportgal18 Posts: 113 Member
    I got the 48-hour free trial a few weeks ago with the hopes that once Sims 4 came out on Mac I'd be able to use it, but it doesn't seem to apply at the moment (still says it's only available on Windows). Does anyone know if it will work in the future?
    If people could provide graphics feedback, specifically with the Intel HD cards (13" MacBook pros and MacBook Airs) that would be really helpful :)

apple-signature.png
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    Looks like the Mac The Sims 4 section is now available. Have fun in there!
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    Finally!
    apple-signature.png