Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs sims 3

Comments

• Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    @Scribal_Goddess
    not yet a mod to ride horses? I swear I thought it exists.

There's poseboxes, and a variety of posed horse sculptures, but there aren't well animated horses, you can sit on horses that are furniture and they don't really move, they just change spots. I think it's a hard limit in terms of what the cc makers can do in terms of making an animated object. I've been making do with the poses, but they don't add anything to gameplay, just storytelling. :)

Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Ouf, tough decision, I don't think I can actually pick one of both!

I love how detailed I can create my Sims in Sims 3 and they are all different! It just depends a lot if you take the time for it and maybe it needs some practice or something. I also love building in the Sims 3. However in gameplay I think Sims 2 wins. Eventhough Sims 3 has so much I'm not even close to having done everything. The family play in Sims 2 is just better for me. I love both. The only thing I just can't love (yes I have tried) is the Sims 4. Speaking of pudding faces... and that awful neighbourhood overview! Or the lack of cars (in which Sims 2 wins btw, Sims even getting in their car and all!)

I wish for a Sims 5 with Sims 2 family play, cars and lots, Sims 3 CASt, skills, CAW and open world, Sims 4 parts of building mode and parts of CAS and then realistic graphics like any other game.

And honestly I don't care much for the LHBT+ add on in Sims 4, I liked that there was just one type of Sim we all had to adjust to. I'm an autistic, religious simmer and I don't have any special options... neither have crippled fans or fans with OCD or deaf fans. Why the exception for LHBT+? To me it feels a bit like all or nothing...
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    That's not a fair comparison tho :/, at any rate I love them both ts2 & ts3.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    The vanilla eyes in 2 looked like octagons TBH. And vanilla TS3 faces looked like spheres.

Yes, my only complain regarding sims 2 graphics is the eyes xD And if you make them too big the more you see how terrible they are xD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MangAnimeJeMangAnimeJe Posts: 563 Member
    And honestly I don't care much for the LHBT+ add on in Sims 4, I liked that there was just one type of Sim we all had to adjust to. I'm an autistic, religious simmer and I don't have any special options... neither have crippled fans or fans with OCD or deaf fans. Why the exception for LHBT+? To me it feels a bit like all or nothing...

As a transman, I agree with this. I don't mind the update, since I've always wanted to make crossdresser sims, but I would like to have something like religion as well, despite not being religious at all.
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member

Agreed.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member

As a transman, I agree with this. I don't mind the update, since I've always wanted to make crossdresser sims, but I would like to have something like religion as well, despite not being religious at all.

In sims medieval they had the watcher and two fictional religions. It would be quite nice to do something similar.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @MangAnimeJe & @Bessieboo

You can have religion in sims 2 with mods and there is a ton of religious artifacts and furniture cc out there as well.

Working religions. Make your own gods/goddesses and choose what morals each religion follows. You'll want to use an NPC clothing changer on the nun who is included, because she is wearing a distinctly unnunlike outfit.

http://backalleysims.com/adultsite/...T-amp-A-A-amp-N

Instructions for faith.

http://www.backalleysims.com/adults...d-A-amp-N-stuff

The above 2 are just part of a much bigger list

http://modthesims.info/t/529253

sims 3 also has the Sims 3 Priest Career run in conjunction with Nrass Career mod..

http://modthesims.info/d/428999

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    You can ride horses in TS2 by mods by Echo and forgive me I forgot the person who created the lovely horses. Of course the animation is custom so it's more like scooting along but it can be done. If I think of the other person who created the meshes for the horses and all the recolors of different type horses I will try to post a link.

It's nothing like TS3 horses, though as far as riding. MTS doesn't have as many mods as they used to for TS2, many, many, many have been removed over the years I guess to make room for TS3 and TS4 stuff.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • swillflyswillfly Posts: 54 Member
    I think I would enjoy Sims3 and Sims4 despite any banter. I don't like to compare as they were all developed by different people at different times. In fact, I have owned Sims3 (still shrink-wrapped) since it came out but there was so much in Sims2 to do that I never got around to even trying Sims3. I'll probably try them out when they are passé.
    Would you like some breakfast?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    You can ride horses in TS2 by mods by Echo and forgive me I forgot the person who created the lovely horses. Of course the animation is custom so it's more like scooting along but it can be done. If I think of the other person who created the meshes for the horses and all the recolors of different type horses I will try to post a link.

It's nothing like TS3 horses, though as far as riding. MTS doesn't have as many mods as they used to for TS2, many, many, many have been removed over the years I guess to make room for TS3 and TS4 stuff.

The horses might have come from Rebecka over at Affinity. She also posted on MTS often.

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/2247-22-recolors-for-my-rideable-horse/
  • swillflyswillfly Posts: 54 Member
    Erm.. why does it have to be versus? They're different games; same as Sims 4 and Sims 1. Given time, they'll likely have more additional content for 4 and users will continue to add their own custom content. Legacy titles have a plethora of CC available over teh interwebs.
    Would you like some breakfast?
  • Dawn767Dawn767 Posts: 38 Member
    HI. I'm still a "new member" and can't start new threads. But I want the Sims 2. I've played the Sims, TS3, and TS4. Does the original Sims 2 games (what you would buy on ebay) work on Windows 10? I have been watching youtube Sim Supply channel playing the Sims 2 and I have the itch and I am not a fan of TS4
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Dawn767 wrote: »
    HI. I'm still a "new member" and can't start new threads. But I want the Sims 2. I've played the Sims, TS3, and TS4. Does the original Sims 2 games (what you would buy on ebay) work on Windows 10? I have been watching youtube Sim Supply channel playing the Sims 2 and I have the itch and I am not a fan of TS4

Your best bet would be to contact EA and ask for the Ultimate Collection. You may have to buy a base game of Sims 2, so you have a code to give them. Some people get it without owning it, some people can't get it until they own it. It just depends on which rep you get. It does work on 10, but it does need some tweeks to run on newer hardware (whether it has 10 or not) Windows 10 may require a couple more tweeks, for some it does, for others it doesn't. I have it working on 10 just fine.

Instructions for contacting EA in the first post here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814708/how-to-get-ts2-ultimate-collection-windows/p1
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I second what Jules said. Usually what doesn't work with windows 10 is installing off the disks if they're too old, an origin installation works just fine. (Though you often need the Graphics Rules Maker to run it at any sort of resolution...)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

The horses might have come from Rebecka over at Affinity. She also posted on MTS often.

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/2247-22-recolors-for-my-rideable-horse/

Yeah, Becka used to have all her horses on MTS. Echo created the animation.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • TayraTayra Posts: 76 Member
    I don't understand why you guys are having issues with how The Sims 3 look? The instant Rendering kind of does makes the game low quality so I have it turned off. Plus it doesn't perform that well on my laptop. Without the instant rendering you actually get to see the skin textures on the sims. I am not able to show screenshots at the moment, but I would if I could and show you the difference it makes to have the instant rendering turned off.
    unknown.png?width=841&height=473
    Happy simming, and a Happy Snowflake Day.
    Tayra wrote: »
    I don't understand why you guys are having issues with how The Sims 3 look? The instant Rendering kind of does makes the game low quality so I have it turned off. Plus it doesn't perform that well on my laptop. Without the instant rendering you actually get to see the skin textures on the sims. I am not able to show screenshots at the moment, but I would if I could and show you the difference it makes to have the instant rendering turned off.

I don't understand what you mean by 'instant rendering'. I don't recall that sort of setting in game options. I remember Nicolas advised people back when TS3 was released to set their game controls to a 4 (how many things you can see at a distance) to cut down on lag/stutters etc. At the time that worked great for me.
    unknown.png?width=533&height=473

@Cinebar The advanced rendering allows your game to instantly render your game during gameplay and causes your game to perform really slow.

unknown.png?width=284&height=473

With it turned off, all sims looks less plastic like and more visually appealing to look at. And this image is set to Very High.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I can't imagine why anyone would turn off Advanced Rendering unless they had a woefully underpowered computer. The sims might look less "plastic" with AR turned off, but they're dreadfully lower quality in appearance.
    Yes it does improve game performance on older systems, but at the cost of visual appeal, and having things like grass look as if it has been bucketfilled on the terrain.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    The grass looks pretty good to me, just use the grass paint tool. It actually looks like mowed grass.
    Thanks, @Tayra, now I remember. But to equal things out, if you set what you can see at a distance down to 3, (if a slower machine) then it sort of equals out on the advanced rendering if you want to leave that on.

I think I remember back when TS3 was released having to use something to set the frame rates to hold at 60 since TS3 didn't have a cap on that (and why things go haywire for some lag) but I think they eventually patched a cap into game about frame rates. But others may still use a third party fix for frame rate caps. I know personally I push my machines to the max (I shouldn't) I can't do without my textures and smooth edges, or visuals so I was always looking for some work arounds in these games. :)
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    I hope it's not late for me to add my opinion, I was trying to play the Sims 3 earlier, and I have to say Sims 2 is better.

Why does everyone in TS3 still look the same after so many hour of custom content? Then when I play it's just so glitched that it needs Nraas and fixed world to even barely be stable. also The Sims 2 just has a general better soundtrack, CAS feels so upbeat, but TS3 just has it abruptly end while still trying to make someone... In then silence

Sure it has downfalls like men wearing sandals with jeans and a hoodie (which I had mod to turn into sneakers) and a lot of loadscreens (a sacrifice for openworld which can lag) but I also just have unique sims after all these years.

I also like want/fear system as it adds depth over a Sims death being turned over by a cake and a day at the spa in TS3

L9q8VGi.png
    @Cinebar Thanks for your advice.

@Sorak4 That silence that you are talking about has to do with one of the later patches they put in the game to reduce their already performance issue. Sometimes I hardly ignore that the music is there at times. If you want your sims to look different, you can change their appearance, and they did add a patch to include wrinkles as they got older so you could tell the difference between Young Adults and Adult sims. I would go to the extreme with their already large custom features to create your own looking sim.
  • TessgirlsTessgirls Posts: 15 Member
    WooHoo was better in Sims 2.. lol... but Sims 3 had so much more!