Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ask Me Anything, the game

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,664 Member
    Romantic and insightful.

What is something you're looking forward to tomorrow?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Tomorrow specifically??? Hmm, nothing really.

Same question?
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,709 Member
    Spending time with my toddler granddaughters.

What new television show or movie are you looking forward to?
    I'm eager for season 3 of The Boys on Amazon and the final season of Dead To Me on Netflix.

What new singers or bands have caught your ear?
    edited May 2022
    L'exquisite Douleur!!

1.png

Same question.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Jogging in the mornings at 5.30 a.m., a good breakfast, a productive day at work, playing hard after work, or a karaoke session.

> @ignominiusrex said:
    > Why would you need to quantify the value of a human life, anyway?

Because without it, how then would you go about deciding that human life is equal? See, I look at it like this -all human life are equal at the point of conception till the reach the age of a toddler.This window / time period is certainly restricted. We were born, essentially as 'blank slates', tabula rasa. Following the first few months, our parents would go on spending years of investment (money, time and energy) in order to ensure we receive proper education, that we have a shelter over our heads, clothes on our backs, food on the table (side note: I find it really sad that a return on investment is not necessarily guaranteed, but that is a rabbithole I will go into some other time), the bare necessities. Why else would our parents do it if they didn't believe in an intrinsic value in our lives? I think a human life is quantifiable, but certainly not in terms of their net worth or an inheritence they may be entitled to some time down the line. Rather, it is built on a wealth of experience, information and grit (iron sharpens iron) to conquer our next bigger challenges in life. Additionally, it is also built on emotional attachment, as represented in the parents' investment in their children, rather than other kids. Their own children always take the priority. Why do you think there is always the cliche of a person asking their spouse in tv shows, dramas and the like. "If me and one of your parents fell into the sea, whom would you save?" Now let's think about this - if it were the spouse and a stranger the person met two hours ago, wouldn't the choice be obvious? So when exactly does this thought experiment become a quandary?

When both people that fell into the sea meant as much to the person.

> Also, people's circumstances are far more to do with happenstance and the advantages they were born into, than individual merit, though we are taught otherwise. Merit matters, but not near as much as money and connections.

Hard disagree on both your points. I was an unplanned child. My parents got divorced after my birth. My mom's family blamed my birth for the family falling apart. She was a young 24 then and my maternal grandparents had plans to send her overseas to further her education to inherit their business. They were already not in favour of the marriage. All those plans were "wrought" when she had me. I had never seen my mother for over twenty years, until she showed up to my graduation from college two years ago, at which point I doubt I had any emotional attachment left to her because too much time had passed. Doesn't help that she has her own other family now. This is a bridge that will never be repaired. My dad kept me by his side. For the first few years he didn't know what to do with me either, there were times I felt a little hostility - maybe deep inside he blamed me for their marriage falling apart. At 17, I had just received my results for my Cambridge O levels. I did reasonably well to enter a prestigious junior college, but I asked myself what exactly did I want to do with my life. I knew I had two choices laid out in front of me - 1.) Stay bitter and resentful that such was my fate, and continue believing I bring unhappiness to the people around me. 2.) Be productive, contribute to society and find meaning in life that makes it worth living. I picked the second option and sufficed to say, never lived to regret it. I went to a Polytechnic to pick up Engineering Design. Got a respectable gpa. My dad was the only supporting parent and struggling to make ends meet. I took three jobs over the next four years to support my college fees before enrolling. I ground. It wasn't an easy time but I made it through. I worked as an intern and then a drafter. I had a job in between under Human Resources. My first job I got based on the information I picked up in the Polytechnic. Why do you think the company wanted to hire me? I certainly did not get to where I was by wasting my time away in despair.

Every opportunity I got, I earned. I was handed nothing.

Merit matters, more so than money and connections because it takes precedence. In the hiring process, the prestigious law firm will always pick the promising prospect with a prestigious GPA, fresh out of college, involved in the student committee, has demonstrated good research and debating skills, more so than the fresh law grad that coasted along and managed to scrap by enough to be called to the bar. A well respected MNC is more likely to hire the maintenance person with the most experience and competence to operate their machines. Why? Because they are a good fit with great utility. Because these people didn't waste their time doing anything else of less importance. They seized the day, everyday, for years and years. The money and connections only follow afterwards. Especially connections. The more one proves their competence in the field, the more people want to get a hold of them, because they are dependable.

> This is why I feel that the only way to make life better for everyone, is to stop engaging in social Darwinism or economic Calvinism: quit pretending that 'The cream rises to the top" and that some people are inherently more worthy than others. We're not all the same, no. We differ physically, mentally, emotionally. But no one gets to choose their own baseline characteristics. All we can choose is our actions.
    >

You may not like it. Trust me, once upon a time I didn't like the idea either. But in recent years I realized it's necessary. Going back to the example I gave about the maintenance man, what do you think happens if the hiree isn't suited for the job and the machine is not subjected to regular maintenance? Best case scenario, it malfunctions - not a big deal. Worst case scenario, it blows up. Causes the company thousands, millions in damages. Yet all that can be avoided. What would you want on your hands if you ran a business? Dependable people, or a catastrophe?

I am not trying to suggest if you are in a better position in life than the others, put these other people down. That is not the attitude I am trying to convey and it will never be what I convey.

Question: What is your immediate go-to drink at Starbucks?

so I think I see what you're getting at, and I would agree that it's important to assess accurately the suitability of a new hire, insofar as that is possible based on qualifications. But how is that quantifying the value of a human life? Someone's being capable of doing a particular job particularly well, doesn't give their life greater intrinsic value than another person's, because our lives are not worth only what our skills are, even if all skills were comparable to one another in some linear progression.

Hoping you take my argument in the spirit intended, that of discussion, rather than any deliberate desire to be oppositional to your point. I'd enjoy this even more, around a table over a pint, but this is almost as good. :)

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    I suppose both isn't an option.....mocha. I can't turn down chocolate.

Soup or salad?
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    Depends on the season. Soup in winter, salad in summer.

Travel or Staycations?
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    edited May 2022
    Salad.

Favorite official neighborhood/world from any Sims game?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    The one from the Vampire pack.

Same question.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    cyncie wrote: »
    Travel or Staycations?

I'm in the middle of a staycation. It's enough just to forget about work and stay home and be lazy for a few days.

My favorite world, San Myshuno, but Willow Creek isn't far behind. And Henford-on-Bagley is gaining on both of them rapidly.

Favorite premade sim?

Either Alexander Goth or Lucas Munch. They're both so endearing. I actually like the whole Munch family. I'm not sure why though.

Same question
    Morgyn

Same question
    Venessa Jeong and Yuki Behr

Why not, same question
    Chris Roomie.

Have you ever been to a comic-con?
    FwDXXd5.gif
    I’ve been to Dragon Con. It’s a big sci-fi/fantasy/pop culture convention in Georgia.

What’s your favorite piece of advice to give others?
    Always be yourself.

Same question.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    I don't have anything. As you ladies have seen a couple of times I'm the one who needs lifted up. I really tried to come up with something but....nada.

What is your source of greatest joy in life?

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Had to think on it, because I don't generally go around telling people what to do or how to do it, but will give advice on a specific situation, if asked. A few times I've given advice without being asked and usually embarrassed myself in the process and wondered what got into me that I just couldn't contain the urge. :flushed:

Got one, mostly aimed at myself: "The best way to be a boor and a bore at the same time, is to give unasked advice as a habit."

@SenpaiCanberra Yes, life experience, as well as specialized training, add to our abilities, and, we can hope, our accuracy and success in responding to unanticipated challenges (in short, wisdom). I still don't see an experienced person's life, however, being intrinsically worth more than an unexperienced person's, except within the narrow confines of assessing for task-readiness for a purpose in mind such as a particular job.

But I think we're talking at cross purposes, because "value of a human life" can mean many things, and usually it isn't taken to mean net worth, hireability, skillset, credentials, abilities, or even wisdom. Even at the end of someone's life, who are we to judge their worth as a human being? Aren't we greater than the sum of our parts, more than an accumulation of accomplishments? If not, then we can certainly be reduced to a list of accomplishments and outcomes. But perhaps your meaning isn't so broad as that, and you really are talking about value-added from the perspective of a hiring manager, trying to choose wisely from measurable things.

On to a question for the thread as part of the game: What is your own life worth to you: on what would you stake it, or for what would you risk it?
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    edited May 2022
    I'm still working out my self esteem and sense of self worth, so I can't really put a 'worth' to it. I do however give every ounce of my heart to friends who I bond deeply with. I have one, my soul sister, and if giving up my life would save hers, consider it done. My soul sister isn't my actual blood bonded sister, but we are so much closer than my sister and I have ever been or are likely to ever be.

This is an excellent, deep question. Let's hear from somebody else.
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2022
    I have something that most people want but don't have, I also have something very unique. so I always had a strong sense of life worth.
    And my worldview is very realistic, I think there's think there's nothing else without life. No matter how "nice" it sounds, just like make a poo look, smell and taste exactly same as ice cream doesn't change the fact that it's a poo.
    If I understand correctly, For those reason, I won't stake or risk it as long as I can think normally. I'll keep control it in a safe area (and I happen to be good at it)

Same question
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
    My faith and my family because without those, nothing matters.

I'm interested to see the other responses, same question.