Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Aren't Hard Copies in Stores?

I really enjoy playing the sims. I am a collector of the games, and only buy them in their disc form. I am missing only one stuff pack from the Sims 3 because I was unable to buy the hard copy from a local store. I bought the sims 4 for $80.00 something dollars because I wanted the HARD copy.

I am pretty annoyed right now because I wanted to buy the new Outdoor Retreat and Get to Work. I go to my local store and there are no hard copies for sale. I look online and there are no hard copies anywhere including in the Sims Store. This is aggravating.

Production costs aside, it seems very disrespectful to take the choice of how a game is purchased from the consumer who wants to spend their money on a product. I would rather have the discs and download them on my own rather than having to rely on origin to do the job. I like having pretty covers and discs to look at or use when I play my game. I absolutely hate the way that Steam and Blizzard works, but now it seems that Origin is going the same route. It seems as though we will soon be required to be online all the time to play these games, and that just sucks. I am willing to pay more for the product to have the hard copy.

I'm sure I am not the only one.

When will hard copies be released either in the sims 4 online store or in big box stores? Or will they ever be released as hard copies?

I can't be the only one upset by this. Am I?

Comments

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Amazon has disks. Looking up my own zip code to see what my local stores have, I can see that Walmart,Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy all have disks. So they are out there, you just must have had bad luck at the stores you went to.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    naniminnananiminna Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2015
    So, basically those stores just don't have it in my local area? I see the discs for the sims 4, but not for retreat and let's get to work. I do see a preorder for the disc copy on amazon, which should suffice. It seems I may have been mistaken.
  • Options
    Double checked and there is only a digital download for outdoor retreat on amazon, but there are discs for let's get to work if preordered.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    naniminna wrote: »
    Double checked and there is only a digital download for outdoor retreat on amazon, but there are discs for let's get to work if preordered.

Outdoor Retreat is online DLC only and cannot be purchased on disc. That's how all the game packs will be, apparently. But you can buy expansions in disc form, as usual.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Outdoor Retreat is a "game pack" and apparently is only ever going to be available by download. Get to Work has not been released yet but it appears that discs will be available (some have said they preordered the disc from Amazon).
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    I still wish they would make the online dlc something they do put on discs. You know, like how the bundled sims 3 worlds and everything? I concede on the expansion pack though. I saw it available to download when I turned on the computer last night to play my game and was frustrated I couldn't find a hard copy of either games in stores.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited February 2015

h0D89D71D.gif

yeah...I think we know why

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Zolt65 wrote: »

h0D89D71D.gif

yeah...I think we know why

XD I am laughing so hard over here. xD
  • Options
    RedHotChiliPepaRedHotChiliPepa Posts: 124 Member
    Me too! I get so excited looking at the cover and i sill have all my sim game boxes and games since it's been created! Just today I was telling my hubby to get me the sims 4 coz it's not available where I am and he was like why don't I download it online and anyway no one is using using discs anymore and some computers don't even have the cd thing ... and I was like no!!! It's not the same thing! I like to look at the cover and get excited and read the booklet that comes with it pointing out new stuff!!!!! Looool looks like I might have to download it though.... Grumble grumble!!!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I regret buying my first digital copy now. I loved being able to hold the case in my hands and look at the cover art. The Sims 1 and 2 cases were fun when they would announce the upcoming EPs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    yeah I rather a Physical Copy of Expansions and maybe Game packs.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    AJLOVER01AJLOVER01 Posts: 120 Member
    It's really annoying that the game packs are online only, as I can't buy them online.
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Origin may shutdown one day. At that point we're all screwed.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Because it's easier to make everything digital. In other words, they're lazy.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    I think it's more because the local stores want to earn money, too. And EA doesn't want to share the money, they want to keep it all on their own. I think this is also the reason why we are FORCED to use Origin now (in TS3 this was voluntairy, you could use it or not). They want us to say "oh, if I need Origin anyway, I can buy it there right away". To make us used to it...
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Outdoor Retreat is DLC only, so there are no physical copies. Get to Work might show up in stores, but it's not out until April, so who knows?
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    10goliath10goliath Posts: 12 New Member
    edited February 2015
    That's funny, because all of the box stores around where I live carry the limited and special editions of TS4 and still carry TS3 and its expansions. Maybe it's just where I'm living?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    10goliath wrote: »
    That's funny, because all of the box stores around where I live carry the limited and special editions of TS4 and still carry TS3 and its expansions. Maybe it's just where I'm living?

The expansion can't be in your stores yet because it isn't out till April. The Outdoor Retreat pack is not available in stores anywhere, at all; it's DLC = downloaded content, like when we bought store sets for Sims 3.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    10goliath10goliath Posts: 12 New Member
    edited February 2015
    > @luthienrising said:
    > 10goliath wrote: »
    >
    > That's funny, because all of the box stores around where I live carry the limited and special editions of TS4 and still carry TS3 and its expansions. Maybe it's just where I'm living?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The expansion can't be in your stores yet because it isn't out till April. The Outdoor Retreat pack is not available in stores anywhere, at all; it's DLC = downloaded content, like when we bought store sets for Sims 3.

Actually, when I was referring to expansion packs, I was referring to the Sims 3 EXP's like World Adventures and Island Paradise.

On an unrelated note, how do I quote like you did luthien?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    10goliath wrote: »
    > @luthienrising said:
    > 10goliath wrote: »
    >
    > That's funny, because all of the box stores around where I live carry the limited and special editions of TS4 and still carry TS3 and its expansions. Maybe it's just where I'm living?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The expansion can't be in your stores yet because it isn't out till April. The Outdoor Retreat pack is not available in stores anywhere, at all; it's DLC = downloaded content, like when we bought store sets for Sims 3.

Actually, when I was referring to expansion packs, I was referring to the Sims 3 EXP's like World Adventures and Island Paradise.

On an unrelated note, how do I quote like you did luthien?

Hang around and post a lot till you're not a new member anymore :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Been said before....

h0D89D71D.gif

it still is true now....follow the money!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    You can follow the money with virtually anything. It's crazy how depressing our world has become due to people's greed. =/

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

It's not Laziness.

All games have digital content nowadays. Considering it's 2015, we are lucky EA still make Expansion Packs physical. Even most albums today are digital.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

It's not Laziness.

All games have digital content nowadays. Considering it's 2015, we are lucky EA still make Expansion Packs physical. Even most albums today are digital.

Its very true, you would think people would have gone digital by now i have and its better because i don't have to clutter my home with game boxes collecting dust and game disks breaking!

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    @marcel21 It's not like I have junk all around my house or anything. I have a special shelf in my house just for Sims 3 and Sims 4 games. I don't have to play online if I don't want to and I can take my copies anywhere I want to without needing the internet. That's why I want hard copies. It's convenient.