Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grab a shovel- it's getting pretty deep in here!

ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sims-4-s-first-major-expansion-introduces-playable/1100-6425100/

"So you get a totally different set of interactions based on whether you picked a hot-headed Sim who happens to be angry rather than a romantic Sim who happens to feel flirty. It unlocks a bunch of different story possibilities. And the fans have responded very positively to that. "

It would if the emotions weren't broken.

The fans have responded very well to this foundation that we've laid for them, and they're excited to see where we go with it in the future. And at the same time, they still just love being part of The Sims world. There are still a lot of fans who are playing The Sims 3 and even playing The Sims 2 because they like to see all the different flavors of what the franchise has offered over the years.

So... wait... fans have responded so well to the foundation you've laid out in the base game that they are going back to playing The Sims 3 and the Sims 2? Come again for Big Fudge?

And The Sims 4 foundation is about setting that groundwork in the same fashion. How do we make sure there's a way to make money for your Sims? A way for them to excel and progress? A way for them to tell really interesting stories about who they are and who they met and how all those Sims interact? When we evaluate whether something's an expansion content or not, it has to do with that core of setting up that foundation. When you look at some of the things we've done with expansions in the past, we put in things like dance speheres or vampires. And those aren't really things you run into in your traditional day-in-the-life, and that's a great opportunity for us through expansions or game packs to give you a very themed and flavorful new slice of life.

You know what I do run into in my every day life? Dishwashers and babies.

So it wasn't a gameplay moment that felt meaningful at the time of how our Sims were reacting to the world. How their emotions were playing out and how their interactions were playing out. It wasn't an object that two Sims would use together, for example where you could see their personalities clash. It wasn't an object that would show off how our multi-tasking and compatibility were working.

I notice you didn't mention babies...

Something that's changed a lot about the audience is how important approachability has become really important. That doesn't mean making a game easier or dumbing it down. People want to feel like they understand it when they first get in. For us on the Sims through the generations, that has meant we've constantly tried to figure out how to make it a very welcoming game to jump into. There are so many things you can do in The Sims that it can be a little intimidating, so we're trying to give people a leg up in explaining how to start a story or giving people a gallery with a family to download right away.

so... you dumbed it down...

Bottom Line: "We hear you loud and clear- as long as what you are saying is what we already plan to do!"

Comments

• plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    The lack of a daycare career is really hurting that EP.
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    Yes......the forum/twitter/facebook are all full of satisfied happy customers that purchased this "gem" of a game. Happy Happy Joy Joy ;)

kim :\
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    What I found even more awesome than the article was the comments section.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    nilanius wrote: »
    What I found even more awesome than the article was the comments section.

Oh yes, they were definetly "positive"lol. My favorite;

Why didn't they just create the game everyone wanted!

kim :\

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    plopppo wrote: »
    The lack of a daycare career is really hurting that EP.

I don't see the point in one yet until we get toddlers back :\
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    Is it bad that as soon as I saw your title I thought of Kim Kardashian
    keep on keepin' on
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Heh, those comments. And I thought the forums were harsh.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    I consider myself to be a reasonable person, but I have to say I thought that was the biggest load of plum I've read in a long time. Especially this bit:
    So you get a totally different set of interactions based on whether you picked a hot-headed Sim who happens to be angry rather than a romantic Sim who happens to feel flirty. It unlocks a bunch of different story possibilities. And the fans have responded very positively to that. They like that their Sims have this very blown out space of things for them to go and tap into. They're recognizing that this is a foundation for a new version of The Sims universe, and they've been very excited as we've offered expansions already.
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    The bits about diswashers and approachability made me want to scream. I'm not sure she understands the game at all.

It's a life simulations. Little things like dishwashers make it feel like real life. Not everything has to be about emotions and multitasking. The game shouldn't lose everything to two aspects of it. Those aspects should enhance the game not be the focal point.

More than half the fun of playing the game is figuring it out. I'm fairly new to the franchise starting with TS3. A good part of what hooked me in that game was figuring out what in the heck I was doing. The first time I killed a sim my whole family stood around my computer and watched. I don't want a completely approachable game. I want those "OMG! What just happened?" or "Now how am I supposed to get him to do THAT?" moments.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    that has meant we've constantly tried to figure out how to make it a very welcoming game to jump into

I didn't feel very welcomed when I played the sims 4.

In fact, I felt excluded.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The bits about diswashers and approachability made me want to scream. I'm not sure she understands the game at all.

It's a life simulations. Little things like dishwashers make it feel like real life. Not everything has to be about emotions and multitasking. The game shouldn't lose everything to two aspects of it. Those aspects should enhance the game not be the focal point.

More than half the fun of playing the game is figuring it out. I'm fairly new to the franchise starting with TS3. A good part of what hooked me in that game was figuring out what in the heck I was doing. The first time I killed a sim my whole family stood around my computer and watched. I don't want a completely approachable game. I want those "OMG! What just happened?" or "Now how am I supposed to get him to do THAT?" moments.

Dishwashers removed some of the grind for me. Yes my sims could use a sink. But no put it all in the dishwasher and get on with playing!

I'm quite concerned about some of these answers. I understand she's trying to sell the game but I think a few comments completely miss the point of the sims for many customers and it's disappointing the feedback of the past four months doesn't appear to be changing that she admitted early on in the boards that they struggled with what the concept of what made the sims fun was. It's almost like they need to take some time to really analyse what their customers are saying much more closely.b
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @LaAbby that's one of my concerns with TS4. For some of it's most ardent supporters the game doesn't cater to us sufficiently and makes us feel thrown aside. If they want that then that's their prerogative but say it. Don't keep us hanging on if there's no hope, that's cruel.

I have hope they are starting to listen, I just worry if they will go the extra mile. I think we deserve that for the support we've given but you can't tell with large corporations if they will choose to excel in customer service or if they will just let it go. I know if I was in charge I'd be on a charm offensive considering the fortune many of us sink into the sims. I'd bet most of us gave almost guaranteed sales and revenue.
  • CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    When I read that interview, it seemed like she implicitly said:
    IAt9wjT.jpg

...And this game seems to be marketed to preteens and teens, hence the implied response. Oh, after I read the interview, I was like, "Seriously? Way to insult our intelligence. Pshh! I'm out!"
    tumblr_inline_mq9hzsSm4t1qz4rgp.gif
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    @LaAbby that's one of my concerns with TS4. For some of it's most ardent supporters the game doesn't cater to us sufficiently and makes us feel thrown aside. If they want that then that's their prerogative but say it. Don't keep us hanging on if there's no hope, that's cruel.

I have hope they are starting to listen, I just worry if they will go the extra mile. I think we deserve that for the support we've given but you can't tell with large corporations if they will choose to excel in customer service or if they will just let it go. I know if I was in charge I'd be on a charm offensive considering the fortune many of us sink into the sims. I'd bet most of us gave almost guaranteed sales and revenue.

I like that they're finally give us something back: family trees ... but my initial response to how the game was sold to me can't be changed or forgotten and does not apply to their statement. And that leads me to not support them, which they miss out because I know I'm not the only one. They didn't have us in the palm of their hands this time, but if they do decide to extend their palm out to us then I might be willing to go back.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I consider myself to be a reasonable person, but I have to say I thought that was the biggest load of plum I've read in a long time. Especially this bit:
    So you get a totally different set of interactions based on whether you picked a hot-headed Sim who happens to be angry rather than a romantic Sim who happens to feel flirty. It unlocks a bunch of different story possibilities. And the fans have responded very positively to that. They like that their Sims have this very blown out space of things for them to go and tap into. They're recognizing that this is a foundation for a new version of The Sims universe, and they've been very excited as we've offered expansions already.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that.
    In particular, the "foundation for a new version of the sims universe" part concerned me greatly. I think that we're going to have to say goodbye to the old sandbox Sims, and shudder in a new, microtransaction, bro, ho, pushup, devs have no idea what the sims means anymore universe. Because that line simply makes it sound as if the old Sims has fallen by the wayside, and there is a new ho on the block now.

Ugh.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    #RIPTraditionalSims
    gwI4ri2.gif
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    interesting
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    They have it all wrong. Those dishwashers could have been fun for a hot-headed Sim if it broke down the Sim could throw a big tantrum or whack it in fury, or a gloomy Sim could go through a woo is me phase.
  • KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    edited February 2015
    "We're so happy that our fans have responded so well to the foundation we made for them with Sims 4."

"So why is there a riot outside the studio right now?"

"Approachability was really important for us."

"Oh, plum they just broke into the studio here!"

"We really love the excitement from our fans over the Sims 4."

"Oh my god! One of the rioters just Toddler'd one of your developers! WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!"

"We're super excited to give our fans a genealogy tracker, it's a much requested feature. It's something new and exciting for our players who play legacies."

"HOLY PLUM! THEY JUST SMEARED AN INTRICATE DRAWING OF CASt AND WROTE THE WORDS "ALL DEVS MUST GO WITH BURGLARS REPO MEN, REPAIRMEN, POLICE OFFICERS AND OTHER NPCS!!" ON THE WINDOW!! WE'RE GETTING OUT OF HERE!!"

"Our simmers love their weirder stories!!"
  • RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    While I was reading that interview it made me feel like if I was reading about a foreign person talking about some foreign fans. Felt the one who got interviewed was so disconnected to the reality of how we fans feel or what the sims is about. At least, that is my take on it.
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited February 2015
    Kael wrote: »
    "We're so happy that our fans have responded so well to the foundation we made for them with Sims 4."

"We're super excited to give our fans a genealogy tracker, it's a much requested feature. It's something new and exciting for our players who play legacies."

voicing displeasure is one thing, however, please refrain from describing (even hypothetical) violence against people...

c'm on, now! No one wants to read that and all you are going to do is get yourself into trouble.
  • KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    ASDF0716 wrote: »

voicing displeasure is one thing, however, please refrain from describing (even hypothetical) violence against people...

c'm on, now! No one wants to read that and all you are going to do is get yourself into trouble.

Fixxxed for your delicate sensibilities.

giphy.gif
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited February 2015
    ASDF0716 wrote: »

Fixxxed for your delicate sensibilities.

giphy.gif

thank you- though, it's certainly not my delicate sensibilities you should be worried about. I'd be more worried about the people that- you know... work at Maxis not taking too kindly to it.

The other day, an eight year old got suspended from school for telling a classmate he was carrying the One Ring and was going to make him disappear...