Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

STILL Getting Error Code 12

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Ooo, thanks for the tip! :D
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Abidoodle333Abidoodle333 Posts: 10 New Member
    Sigh.

So I started a new game, and everything else seems to be working, but every thirty seconds the game freezes for a few seconds. I've read that the cure is "resetsim *", but I've used it a hundred times and it's still not working. I'm also still purging RAM. Thoughts?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    What world are you playing in?
    apple-signature.png
  • Abidoodle333Abidoodle333 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited January 2015
    Isla Paradiso.

I also just loaded up my game and my Sims weren't married anymore?? I've never had that happen. They were just romantic interests.

The longer I play, the more glitches appear. There's a room where my sims get the Unfinished moodlet, even though it's finished. One sim won't go to work unless I manually put her in her career outfit. Le sigh.
    Post edited by Abidoodle333 on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There are a few thousand posts on the IP board of this forum explaining what needs to be done to make IP playable. Different sets of solutions work for different players, but everyone pretty much agrees that it is the most flawed of all the worlds that EA ever produced. The thirty seconds play-lag-play-stutter is caused by inactives all around town getting stuck in or just outside of their houses, among other things, thus totally disrupting the game engine and flow of play. This is not a Mac specific problem.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/island-paradise

You can try to slog through the suggested fixes if you want (they were easy for me, but seem to be more of a nuisance than they are worth for others), but perhaps it might be better to try a game in a different world first?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SariiizSariiiz Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't know if this has been said, but when "save as" doesn't work for me I click out of the game (my windows button) and go in to document/electronic arts/the sims 3/saves and delete the file that ends with ".bad". Works every time! Then, just to be sure I save and quit the game and start a new session rather than continuing on the corrupted one. Safety precautions ;)
    Sariiiz wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been said, but when "save as" doesn't work for me I click out of the game (my windows button) and go in to document/electronic arts/the sims 3/saves and delete the file that ends with ".bad". Works every time! Then, just to be sure I save and quit the game and start a new session rather than continuing on the corrupted one. Safety precautions ;)
    This thread, from a year ago, is about memory (RAM) management and avoiding Error 12s on the Mac version of the game. Players on the Mac OS face different system related challenges than those on Windows.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • pagounispagounis Posts: 369 Member
    Same here :(

It has happened to me only once (while playing today in Roaring Heights, with the Capp family as my active family) because I have been saving it for it seems like a RIDICULOUSLY long time, I mean worse than AGES! It has been so annoying and I don't even know what is causing it or whatever else like that. And yeah, I tried numerous solutions on the Internet I found out that there is a memory hog while saving for a ridiculously long time and that the save file is too big and my computer doesn't have enough RAM to save it.

But I do have plenty of memory in my computer, and a similar thing happened a month ago in my all-time favorite save game in Sunlit Tides (My active household was Wahine as I can remember) which means that I saved it around 5-6 pm in the afternoon and when I edit town I find out that my family thumbnail turned into a house thumbnail with the house remaining how it was.

Then I saved again around 2:30-3 am at night I think but with the same "bizarre" problem that I referred to above.

And after saving my games in general I go on Edit Town to see a preview of my thumbnails and then I go to Main Menu, and then quit.

I am SO afraid of seeing a .bad file on my saves folder! (Referring to the Roaring Heights savegame)

Any help would be VERY VERY VERY much appreciated!

Thank you.
    Joanne | 22 | Greece. Informatics student. I'm mikrolactaki3 on the gallery. Using 2 computers! My Blog: mikrolactaki3.tumblr.com
    Doesn't matter that you have lots of RAM, the game can only access up to 2Gb. There are literally hundreds of threads on this forum explaining this issue. Purge RAM regularly, especially before saving.
    apple-signature.png
    Doesn't matter that you have lots of RAM, the game can only access up to 2Gb. There are literally hundreds of threads on this forum explaining this issue. Purge RAM regularly, especially before saving.

The most recent entry on this thread is from someone we have tried to help many times on this forum over the past few months, but they just ignore us and keep adding distress messages onto different threads all over the place. I do not believe they are playing on a Mac or really want our help. Or if they do, they have an odd way of showing it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor oh I see thanks for the heads up :)
    apple-signature.png
    Sorry I posted it in the wrong thread as I am on a Windows 7 computer :/

Here's what I did to fix it:
    Deleted the .bad folder, reloaded the application as I saw the saved game that had been corrupted the same day but in an earlier save before it got corrupted and found out that I can load other saved games or start a new game, but I don't know how to load a saved game that has been corrupted before as I deleted the .bad folder (it's known that it can corrupt other saved games) and I refer to the specific saved game that had gotten corrupted (2 weeks ago I think). Before saving I checked if there may be anything that has to do with invisible/stuck Sims, multi-selected portraits (as there's nothing that has to do with multi-selected portraits so after that the sims were selected normally without this bug), overcrowding the town with many households as this was a result of my save file corruption. And it was taking more than one hour to save.

But when I load it, do I get the 'Serious Error' message because it had been corrupted once but it's in an earlier save (as I referred to above), does it load normally without errors or my saved game in Roaring Heights is seriously broken for good?
    Joanne | 22 | Greece. Informatics student. I'm mikrolactaki3 on the gallery. Using 2 computers! My Blog: mikrolactaki3.tumblr.com
    If you make regular backups of your files (not just Sims games), you should be able to pull up the last saved game file and add that your Saved Games folder and play it. If you don't have backups, then I'm afraid that particular game is gone for good and you will have to start over.
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > If you make regular backups of your files (not just Sims games), you should be able to pull up the last saved game file and add that your Saved Games folder and play it. If you don't have backups, then I'm afraid that particular game is gone for good and you will have to start over.

I do make backups of all my files and Sims 3 saved games but there seems to be some sort of problem with my removable drive where I make backups of ALL my Sims 3 saved games which means that my computer can only recognize USB sticks and USB-like cords. But if the save game I am referring to is gone for good (or lost), perhaps I'll need to start over in the same town as my saved game has been ever since July (Roaring Heights), save my current household to the bin AND start over in the same house in which I have made a few changes.

But, on the other side, I'm very afraid to see the 'Serious Error' message while loading the saved game which means that it may be broken for good or it may load normally but after hours of playing a 'Save As' may be the solution instead of a regular save. This way I will have two saved games in the same town that I've been playing in under different names (for example Roaring Heights and Roaring Heights 2.0) - the other save game named Roaring Heights 2.0 is an alternate saved game in case the original save game gets corrupted.

Thanks for the solution anyways :)
    Welcome :) Oh, and try to save every hour or so if possible. I try to.
    Okay, got the solution :)
    Can I just try saving as every hour or simply overwriting the save file doing so?
    One more question: Does switching households help solve the error or just staying on my current household?
    Purging RAM and saving often reduces the frustration. However, I don't switch households a lot and usually only do it when I first start up the save. I did that recently to get Bob and Betty Newbie together.
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Purging RAM and saving often reduces the frustration. However, I don't switch households a lot and usually only do it when I first start up the save. I did that recently to get Bob and Betty Newbie together.

How do I purge RAM on Windows 7?

But today, when I opened my game I clicked on my Roaring Heights save that has been corrupted a week after my latest save and clicked on the little button next to the "Delete Town" button that says "Copy Town". I clicked on that, named it under a new name (as yeah it was Roaring Heights 2) and it was the same date as the original save game with the Roaring Heights name (without the 2).

But when I load a saved game that has been corrupted before, do I get the "A Serious Error" message after deleting the .bad file from the Saves folder and having my save that was corrupted reverted to the most recent save or does it load properly without errors?
    (Referring to the saved game I copied from the Copy Town Button in Main Menu under the "Roaring Heights 2" name)
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    pagounis wrote: »
    How do I purge RAM on Windows 7?

But today, when I opened my game I clicked on my Roaring Heights save that has been corrupted a week after my latest save and clicked on the little button next to the "Delete Town" button that says "Copy Town". I clicked on that, named it under a new name (as yeah it was Roaring Heights 2) and it was the same date as the original save game with the Roaring Heights name (without the 2).

But when I load a saved game that has been corrupted before, do I get the "A Serious Error" message after deleting the .bad file from the Saves folder and having my save that was corrupted reverted to the most recent save or does it load properly without errors?
    (Referring to the saved game I copied from the Copy Town Button in Main Menu under the "Roaring Heights 2" name)

You really do not need to purge RAM on the Windows operating system, since it pretty much can use around 4GB (3.7GB), while with the Mac operating system, it is only limited to 2GB, and the need to purge will need to happen frequently if on Mac.

There is no possible way to get a 32-bit application (or operating system) to use more than 4GB RAM. For those that a 64-bit operating system, you'll need at least 8GB (you could get away with 6GB), because Windows (or whichever operating system you're running) needs RAM to access as well.

By purging RAM on Windows, I believe you are able to do it through Task Manager (I believe that is purging, if I am not mistaken) to close unwanted programs hogging up all your RAM.

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
    @igazor
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    > @Colton147147 said:
    > pagounis wrote: »
    >
    > How do I purge RAM on Windows 7?
    >
    > But today, when I opened my game I clicked on my Roaring Heights save that has been corrupted a week after my latest save and clicked on the little button next to the "Delete Town" button that says "Copy Town". I clicked on that, named it under a new name (as yeah it was Roaring Heights 2) and it was the same date as the original save game with the Roaring Heights name (without the 2).
    >
    > But when I load a saved game that has been corrupted before, do I get the "A Serious Error" message after deleting the .bad file from the Saves folder and having my save that was corrupted reverted to the most recent save or does it load properly without errors?
    > (Referring to the saved game I copied from the Copy Town Button in Main Menu under the "Roaring Heights 2" name)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You really do not need to purge RAM on the Windows operating system, since it pretty much can use around 4GB (3.7GB), while with the Mac operating system, it is only limited to 2GB, and the need to purge will need to happen frequently if on Mac.
    >
    > There is no possible way to get a 32-bit application (or operating system) to use more than 4GB RAM. For those that a 64-bit operating system, you'll need at least 8GB (you could get away with 6GB), because Windows (or whichever operating system you're running) needs RAM to access as well.
    >
    > By purging RAM on Windows, I believe you are able to do it through Task Manager (I believe that is purging, if I am not mistaken) to close unwanted programs hogging up all your RAM.
    >
    > Notifying...
    > @chesterbigbird
    > @phoebebebe13
    > @igazor

My Windows 7 computer is a 64-bit system with 2 GB RAM. What do I do to upgrade my RAM to 4GB-8GB?

But when I load the saved game I copied from the copy town button saved under a NEW name the same date as my latest save there (Roaring Heights 2 is probably the new name) do I get the "Serious Error" message or my saved game loads properly?

But the reason why Error Code 12 happened in the specific saved game in Roaring Heights, was the lag, playing for many hours in real time (and that's why Error 12 happened and because of that I avoided long gameplay sessions), overcrowding the town with households that I made myself and households in the family bin. And luckily this had nothing, but nothing to do with multi-selected portraits, stuck Sims and invisible Sims in the portrait panel.
    This has also something to do with my RAM. Apparently, after playing my game for many hours, the saving took forever. And I knew it was an Error 12 but when I finished saving, went to edit town and then my game crashed to desktop. But has absolutely nothing to do with 'This Copy Of Windows is not genuine'.

Does loading a saved game for over 2 weeks increase the chance of having an error 12?

Instead, if my saved game is broken for good, I could save a copy of my active household with their house to Family Bin, then start a new game in Roaring Heights again and place them in the same lot as they were. Or else can I try moving them to a new town (for example Moonlight Falls) when loading that saved game from the last save.

And does Save As help to create saves with different names in case of corruption? (For example Roaring Heights 2, Roaring Heights 3, Roaring Heights 4 etc.)
    @pagounis - On other threads, we have repeatedly asked you for a dxdiag report to get the full picture of the hardware on which you are trying to run this game. Many, many times. If you really have only 2 GB of RAM total and are running Win 7 on it, that does not leave enough RAM left over to do much of anything, let alone play a demanding game like TS3. It's just not going to work that way.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

I also suggest you start up a new thread, if you can, to post the results of such a report. On the TS3 Tech Issues board, not here. This is the Mac Discussions board and the Mac related advice you are getting does not apply to Windows. You will have to copy/paste the results by sections into multiple posts within a thread as such a report will be way too long to fit into one post.

The answer to your how to get more RAM question is that RAM is something physical that must be purchased and installed into your computer, if it can actually accept more. The dxdiag will tell us that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    @pagounis - On other threads, we have repeatedly asked you for a dxdiag report to get the full picture of the hardware on which you are trying to run this game. Many, many times. If you really have only 2 GB of RAM total and are running Win 7 on it, that does not leave enough RAM left over to do much of anything, let alone play a demanding game like TS3. It's just not going to work that way.

I also suggest you start up a new thread, if you can, to post the results of such a report. On the TS3 Tech Issues board, not here. This is the Mac Discussions board and the Mac related advice you are getting does not apply to Windows. You will have to copy/paste the results by sections into multiple posts within a thread as such a report will be way too long to fit into one post.

The answer to your how to get more RAM question is that RAM is something physical that must be purchased and installed into your computer, if it can actually accept more. The dxdiag will tell us that.

While some of the issues are similar in both the Mac and Windows versions of The Sims 3, I'm really only a Mac helper as I'm more familiar with the Macs and their OS and quirks to the game running. Like igazor said, you should try posting this problem in the regular Help Section of Sims 3. :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    igazor wrote: »

While some of the issues are similar in both the Mac and Windows versions of The Sims 3, I'm really only a Mac helper as I'm more familiar with the Macs and their OS and quirks to the game running. Like igazor said, you should try posting this problem in the regular Help Section of Sims 3. :)

If you read their posting history igazor and I have asked them to provide us with info several times and they don't respond.

By purging RAM on Windows, I believe you are able to do it through Task Manager (I believe that is purging, if I am not mistaken) to close unwanted programs hogging up all your RAM.

No, that's not purging RAM. The Mac equivalent of Task Manager is Force Quit and Activity Monitor I believe. Purging RAM is clearing RAM, freeing up as much as possible which is why any open apps may be a little slower temporarily as they have had the RAM cleared/reset. It is done through a Terminal command but some people choose to download 3rd party apps to do it for them. It doesn't close any apps or processes.

apple-signature.png