Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will they be taken or left to fend for themselves?

Hello everyone :) So my sim dad has died and now its just mom. Now they had three children together and one is a teen. When the mom dies (which is very soon) will they all be taken and basically end game for me or will they be left to fend on their own?

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    adniram00 wrote: »
    Hello everyone :) So my sim dad has died and now its just mom. Now they had three children together and one is a teen. When the mom dies (which is very soon) will they all be taken and basically end game for me or will they be left to fend on their own?

Not in my experience. Life goes on for those left behind.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • MoonShadowMoonShadow Posts: 129 Member
    I believe that each household needs to have at least one young adult or older in order to exists, which would mean that if you only have children/teens in your household, it would get deleted. I'm not 100% sure though.
    You can call me Sanne if you like. I really dislike my username.
    Origin ID: CrazyCuddle
  • chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    I think if there is a teen around... the kids will stay with them... poor teen!
  • BrandiBugBrandiBug Posts: 1,313 Member
    In sims 2 and 3, if all adults die and there is a teen, the game continues. I haven't tested this in 4 yet though
    giphy.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Actually in Sims 2 if their was a teen which I actually had happen in my game - when the parents died the social worker came and took the toddler and child age sim, and just left the teen behind. I thought that was rather cruel myself. I never had it happen in Sims 3 so I have no idea.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2015
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Actually in Sims 2 if their was a teen which I actually had happen in my game - when the parents died the social worker came and took the toddler and child age sim, and just left the teen behind. I thought that was rather cruel myself. I never had it happen in Sims 3 so I have no idea.

Maybe I have mods to stop that from happening. I don't think I do, but that never happened to me. If a teen was in the house, no one took the children away.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    If a teens parents die they can be left in the house as a normal Sim, but don't know about children.
  • s2ladolcevitas2ladolcevita Posts: 341 Member
    in sims 3 the kids would just stay with the teen. I have a feeling that'll also happen in TS4.
  • HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    I had the misfortune of, while my teen sim was at school, her dad was making their dinner. The meal set on fire, and he just wasn't as smart as the rest my sims, and he caught on fire. Just as my teen sim got home, Grim was filling out the necessary paperwork on his tablet.
    And so there she was; alone, hungry, uncomfortable. So uncomfortable, in fact, that she didn't give so much as a sigh for her departed dad. I guess friendship didn't mean much with this kid!
    So began a week of homework and baby-sitting... Her dad had a YA friend who kept calling round... :)
    She had no siblings so I can't say anything about children.
    HSau :)
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    You could create a Sim to act as a guardian. Using play with genetics you could create a long lost brother/sister or just an old friend.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    As long as there is a teen you will be fine, but younger children by themselves will be taken.
    I loved playing the homeless teen, and will soon start another game like that. place him with a grandparent as a child and just grow him up to teen just before the grandparent dies. I like playing that way. He will be on his own. living off the land. I will make some adjustment so he does not get money so fast. Might be a starving artist, or writer.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    As long as there is a teen you will be fine, but younger children by themselves will be taken.
    I loved playing the homeless teen, and will soon start another game like that. place him with a grandparent as a child and just grow him up to teen just before the grandparent dies. I like playing that way. He will be on his own. living off the land. I will make some adjustment so he does not get money so fast. Might be a starving artist, or writer.

I really wish you hadn't posted this! Now, I might have to start another save!
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • adniram00adniram00 Posts: 167 Member
    I had just aged up the twin boys to teens so when the mom died nothing happend. I didn't know if they were still kids they would be taken. I am building them an appropriate house now. Their parents only left them 68K so being that the bills are outrageous (18k!) I will be moving them. So now I have three starving teens in need of cheap housing lol
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Maybe, but I don't recall that in my game. (TS2) Or maybe it was fixed later or with the base game patch? I don't remember, but in the later EP there is a teen family (brothers and sisters) in the bin who live with the smaller kids. Can't remember their name but after the Ottomas family in Seasons, so I'm thinking that family was in AL or something. I just can't remember if some of this wasn't fixed later like in base game patch, like when neighbors carried off toddlers in the base before patch.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Writin_Reg's teen must have been at school or work when the parent died. Teens could always take care of babies, toddlers, and children in TS2. Children could even live alone in TS2 if they hired a nanny fast enough. I had quite a few families do that. I even had one family where both parents died and left a toddler in his crib. Fortunately, the toddler had already learned how to walk and he was able to get out of the crib on his own. Once he did, I immediately made him age up and call for a nanny and that was enough to keep the social worker away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The teen will take care of the children. You can still play the household, you just can't change any of the looks of your Sims and save that look until the teen becomes a young adult. I have experienced no adults in a household after a death before. I think I had trouble saving my game too. So yes you can play the household, you just might not be able to save it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes, I do think it was fixed. I also recall that family Cinebar is talking about - they came with the Ep for Apts that had the teen Brother and sister with boy and girl child age and toddler little ones. When I had that happen in my game it was when we had just gotten the Blue Water sub hood because I had moved in a newly widowed single mom that was like Brandi with a teen, a toddler, and a baby on the way into a brick loft kind of building that I planned to let her open a bakery in the front room of. She actually starved to death right after she gave birth to the baby and yes the teen had been at school but came home just as grim picked up the newborn baby off the floor and began to feed it a bottle. I had never seen Grimmy do that before. The toddler was there on the floor as well and was crying her little eyes out next to the urn over her mom being dead . The teen ran in and started bawling too, then picked up the toddler. Grim even put the newborn in the only crib and left just as the warning music started that the social worker was on the way.

I am pretty sure though it was because the toddler was crying so much as I recall a toddler crying a lot in the game when Sims 2 first came out would make the social worker come and take away all the kids but the teens just because of that. I was always afraid to let my toddlers cry at all because of it.

Actually I do think they changed that as you said, but seeing that was the only time that happened in my game - I was not sure. I do agree if there was no newborn or toddler in the house kids would be fine with a teen seeing the game only sent baby sitters or nannies if there were toddlers or newborns because kids could be at home alone after school and such - and they went to school when the teen went to school. The problem though was infants and toddlers, and failing grades if the teen did not go to school. I recall they did change it about kids getting taken away if a teen was failing school after we got the ep where teens could do mischievious things and rebel and get picked up by police. So it makes sense the teen could miss school to take care of babies if they had to later on by the time Apt. EP came out.

I did play that family of all kids -( wasn't that in Bella Cove?) and did not have any of the issues I had with that earlier household. That earlier one the teen was like forever sad because her mom had died and her sibblings had been taken away. Even when she was older and had kids of her own she would remember all that and cry sometimes. Now that was quite the memory system we had in Sims 2. I miss that a lot.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    There is one thing with having only a teen in your household... you can plan an outfit because the game will let you enter CAS mode, but won't let you exit it. The reason it gives is that you need an adult in your family. :\
    HSau :)
  • Demka_BelikovDemka_Belikov Posts: 3 New Member
    So I was making a family in TS4 and was wondering if I actually needed a parent if there was a teen (I was guessing I needed to kill the adult in some way and hope CPS didn't take away the child), but it got accepted with just a teen and a kid and it let me make it with out a parent so I think it will work in TS4 but I need to play with it more.
  • sgjosgjo Posts: 110 Member

Never had that happen in my TS2 game.
    In fact, one of the Maxis made families in the sim bin, is the Newson family (who consist of 2 teens, 2 children and 2 toddlers) who's adoptive parents died and left them a small inheritance.
    Never had any problem playing them or any other teens that had to take care of their younger siblings after losing their parents or being abandoned by them.
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    Had this happen yesterday. Mom died and left 7 kids. Three were teens. Two children, one toddler, one infant. Family stayed intact minus a parent.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I made a teen and toddler no adults, and was able to place them and play them in my game, so I would think that if a parent dies and leaves a teen with younger siblings, they can all stay, as long as your teen keeps them fed and happy and they do their homework and attend school, sim services shouldn't come a knocking.
  • camille mcalooncamille mcaloon Posts: 58 Member
    [quote="BrandiBug;c-13195036"]In sims 2 and 3, if all adults die and there is a teen, the game continues. I haven't tested this in 4 yet though[/quote]

Its true but children and teens have to have high grades.if teen has higher than children social will come and take and leave teen I think if teens has f then enf game
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    i havent tried playing with an orphan family in the sims 4. but i didnt have any problems having teens raise younger siblings in ts2 or ts3. as for the social worker coming in ts2 it probably only happens if the teen is at school/work and a baby, toddler, or child are left home alone when the parents die. otherwise im pretty sure teens can raise them without a social worker coming. but i havent tried this in ts4 yet. but i might have to do a test to see if a household can run without an adult if a teen is there.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3