Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Camping in TS3

So, you may have heard, camping is a big thing these days!

Last month for Christmas, I gave my family of sims a new tent and some camping supplies and sent them off to Hidden Springs for a few weeks to take a break from winter's snows and cold temps. It actually was more like a 'move' since toddlers aren't able to officially travel and and I am not aging her up for some time. But in my mind they are on vacation... Anyway, I thought I would share some pics of what is going on with them and I am hoping to see some great pics of your sims 3 sims in the great outdoors, or even the great back yard. I've posted them before here and there but I thought this could be a good thread idea.

Screenshot-95_zps4be42dbb.jpg

Screenshot-100_zps94b855f5.jpg
Screenshot-98_zps52d9dad6.jpg
Screenshot-99_zpseb188e67.jpg
Taking my toddler swimming in the ocean. It was a cute way to spend a few sim hours.

Screenshot-122_zps7632cbcb.jpg
Grilling hotdogs

Screenshot-124_zpsc730ff1e.jpg
Sharing conversation at the picnic table.

Screenshot-127_zps7a077fa9.jpg
Telling spooky ghost stories by the campfire.

Screenshot-118_zpsc161681a.jpg
Tossing a ball around.

Screenshot-121_zps509387e4.jpg
Repelling mosquitoes.

Screenshot-120_zps4fc4b934.jpg
Learning to play horseshoes while being teased.

Screenshot-106_zps5f6249f7.jpg
Sparklers are fun.

Screenshot-104_zps11d12cfd.jpg
A little music to wind down the evenings.

Screenshot-125_zpsa198b35e.jpg
Been hiking and found a beautiful bird.

Screenshot-129_zps4b66dc93.jpg
Making friends.

Screenshot-133_zps6e0fad16.jpg
Look Macie!

Screenshot-135_zps523f2483.jpg
Released back into the wild!

Screenshot-97_zps2560d564.jpg
Tent Woohoo

So I have shown you some of what I have, do you have any shots of your sims camping?!? Please share!!

Comments

• MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I love the pics with the toddler and Mom swimming in the ocean. I haven't gone camping yet in game. I'm still trying to get my new legacy SIM married and have some kids. Maybe after that I can possibly take them on a vacation like that.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Very nice pictures Jessa_Dakkar... :)

I really don't have any pictures of my Sims camping but I did make them a fire pit in their yard... :)

Here is my Sims roasting marshmallows in their fire pit... :)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Back yard camping and marshmallow roasting totally counts! :D My kids LOVED to camp in the back yard when they were young, loved sleeping in tents. My son would love it still, my daughter? She'd probably be more into 'glamping', but hey, she's a 13 year old girly-girl. I could probably talk her into going if I promised zombies or something like that though.

I love how our sims can roast the fish that they catch and the produce which they harvest. Very handy, and they make some hilarious faces.

Those hanging chairs are awesome.
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    Hidden Springs is great for camping indeed! Just wondering if you've got the nraas traveler mod? Toddlers are probably able to travel with the mod's help. You can also keep the relationships with the townies in your home world. Although I stop using the mod now that the save file just kept getting larger and larger to keep track on all the worlds my sims have visited.
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

• jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hi! Taïga and Derek went camping when they were kids in Moonlight Falls... He told her a lot of stories by the fire, especially one about a Young boy who got bitten by a werewolf in Egypt... (https://greywitches.wordpress.com/chapters-3/chapters/11-werewolf/)
    They're not supposed to make a fire and Derek is trying to impress Taïga, showing how strong he is.
    thegreywitches-8-321.jpg
    Taïga wants a scary story. "And the werewolf chased after the boy!"
    thegreywitches-8-531.jpg
    "And every full moon the boy changes into a... WEREWOLF!"
    thegreywitches-8-671.jpg
    Roooaaaarrrr!
    thegreywitches-8-681.jpg
    Taïga will sleep in the tent, and Derek under the stars...
    thegreywitches-8-691.jpg
    But there are worse than wolves in the forest, and mosquitoes makes him ask for shelter!
    thegreywitches-8-711.jpg

Taïga also went on Easter Camp in Moonlight Hollow with her classmates! (https://greywitches.wordpress.com/chapters-3/chapters-16/21-easter-camp/)
    Swimming in a Fjord in Alaska. Brrr...
    thegreywitches-20-54.jpg
    Cooking the fish they've caught over the campfire.
    thegreywitches-20-34.jpg
    Last night - no-one cares if the pillows are destroyed!
    thegreywitches-20-45.jpg
    First up gets all the hot water in the shower!
    thegreywitches-20-48.jpg

Taïga's mother, Shasta, had a fling with Prince Vandenburg from Hidden Springs, and he also took her camping in France. I guess that's why she left him... (https://greywitches.wordpress.com/chapters-3/chapters/5-shasta-in-hidden-springs/)
    thegreywitches-4-171.jpg
    thegreywitches-4-181.jpg
    NymlADp.jpg
    I do have that mod! I was so hoping to use it but either I can't figure it out or toddlers are simply exempt from travel. I think they may just be, sooo looking forward to when she will age to child. Which by my schedule may be this summer.. real time summer. Maybe Spring. Playing her a long while.

I also am working on a very small world and it is my goal to make a few more really small, specific worlds in which I can use for travel purposes exclusively. Like perhaps some small tropical island getaway world, a back to nature world without roads and lots of camping stuff, a small world similar to Lunar Lakes.. all kinds of places but really small.

The only thing I don't like about Hidden Springs is that there seems to be no wild produce so we raid gardens instead.
    @jillbg, omg!! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful pictures! I LOVE Derek showing off how strong he is and the 'Roaarrrr' one!
    @Jessa_Dakkar, Taïga still doesn't know he's a werewolf! I'm thinking about sending them off into the wilderness with their delinquent friends at APYR, just to see what happens...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    The only thing I don't like about Hidden Springs is that there seems to be no wild produce so we raid gardens instead.

LOL I remember when my sims where living on that world I built a garden on a small island and had my fairy sim cultivate it everyday. But then they got so rich that I moved them to a mansion so far away that the fairy got lazy and abandoned the garden.

Looking forward to see pictures of your worlds if you feel like sharing them! :smiley:
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

@moonandsixpens Will do! When I say small, though, I mean absolutely tiny, haha. I've got a thread over in the Create A World area which has some pics but I'm mostly using it for technical feedback since this is my first world and I am such a noob.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There is a set of options in the Traveler mod that allows just about any restriction on traveling to be lifted -- babies, toddlers, pets, pregnant sims. The only class of sim I can think of offhand who can't travel is one who is in the process of dying, but the reason should be kind of obvious. :)

On City Hall or any in-game computer, NRaas > Traveler > Allowable Travelers

Off-topic, but this is same place where you can allow Teens to travel to Uni World either alone or as part of a group. Once they arrive, they can then register for a semester at the Admin Bldg, in case you have any who want to get a head start on their degree(s) while still in high school.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor :astonished: Thank you so much!!!! I have some work to do it would seem, I am so excited to drag that diapered genie all over creation and back!!
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Off-topic, but this is same place where you can allow Teens to travel to Uni World either alone or as part of a group. Once they arrive, they can then register for a semester at the Admin Bldg, in case you have any who want to get a head start on their degree(s) while still in high school.

Really!?!?! How did I miss that. I have a teen who would LOVE to do that! Going to fiddle around with Traveler when I fire up my game.

@Jessa_Dakkar, where does your toddler sleep, in the tent too?
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

@GoldenBuffy, ohh I wish! :cry: Toddlers can't use the tent. They can't use much at all. I played a castaway challenge once and it was a while before I 'earned' a crib and had to deal with toddlers passing out from exhaustion on the ground for too long. I searched high and low for some sort of mod that would allow the toddler to sleep on a mat like they could in TS2, but I guess it can't happen. So I gave in and she has a swing. I am going to find a smaller crib type thing like a pack n play CC and see if I can get that to fit in. Other than her sleeping arrangement, everything seems to be going as hoped.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Hmmm, I'm thinking what about the pet bed? Can toddlers sleep in them like in Sims 2?
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

"Hello? Child Protective Services? Yeah, I think you need to dispatch a social worker out into the campgrounds ASAP..." :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor : I have Traveler (of course :) ) and this question might be stupid: Is it because of (or rather thanks to) this mod you can install horses in Egypt?
    Granny Grey on her way to Qasr al-Hayr al-Sim Academy in Egypt...
    thegreywitches-23-05.jpg
    @Jessa_Dakkar: Once you get started in CAW it's a long process indeed. I'm something close to a perfectionnist, and I've spent almost a year working on Twin Towns! And it's not finished, even though it plays smoothly so far. It seems I always have some minor adjustments to do...
    I've also created a custom world of France (using the map of Riverview) to suit my needs for The Grey Witches story that takes place at St Sim's Art School (the Chateau du Landgraab). (https://greywitches.wordpress.com/ Part One Chapters 37-52)
    thegreywitches-39-01.jpg
    thegreywitches-41-01.jpg
    The Campsite by the river Souloise.
    thegreywitches-39-07.jpg
    Monsieur Lefevre, the Art Teacher, inspects the girl's Gnubb team.
    thegreywitches-39-15.jpg
    Hiking up to Mont Corbeau at dawn
    thegreywitches-39-23.jpg
    Picknick at the summit
    thegreywitches-39-34.jpg
    The boys have found something!
    thegreywitches-39-30.jpg
    Yes, there are raccoons in France - members of the US Air Force realeased several pet raccoons near the Laon-Couvron Air Base in 1966…thegreywitches-39-09.jpg
    NymlADp.jpg
    jillbg wrote: »
    @igazor : I have Traveler (of course :) ) and this question might be stupid: Is it because of (or rather thanks to) this mod you can install horses in Egypt?
    Hmm. Traveler would allow you to bring your sims' own pet horses to Egypt. But if you leave them behind, they probably aren't going to be there anymore (or they will belong to someone else) when you return.

Register would govern the spawning of wild horses and the horse adoption/breeding pools.
    StoryProgression would allow other inactive residents of Egypt to adopt and raise their own horses.

Is any of this what you meant or have I misunderstood the question?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor, you've got it perfectly! Thanks for your answer! I have to go back and see if the horses still are there... I was so happy to have Arab horses in Egypt, biking is OK in China, scooter in France but in Egypt you ride! :D
    NymlADp.jpg
    @GoldenBuffy, I wish they could but that is a TS2 thing and there is something in the coding of the cribs in TS3 that has prohibited toddlers here from being able to be modded to do so - I believe. I know I have looked all over for a mod allowing that but I have had zero luck.

@Igazor, I am gonna look the other way and forgive you for calling child protective only because you have been so helpful.
    Or am I?

@jillbg, more great pics and as usual you tell such interesting stories in your game, so creative!
    @anywho211, I can't see the pics! :( I wanna seeeeeee!!!!
    Very creative tent! I like that you can see inside of it, I may just try something like this for Macie's tent. A great idea! Don't you just love how our sims can fish and forage and then grill those things over the campfire?! I don't know if they can do that in 4 yet. I also love the endless supply of marshmallows, always a good thing.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    @anywho211, that is a great idea. I hope you don't mind that I went and tried that out myself. Now I went and did a room and used the double arches all the way around the building and colored the walls, curtains and arches the same color.... :)

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

• xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Awesome pics everyone. ^__^
    I love the idea of having curtains act as a tent. I wonder how Seasons would impact that though? Does it snow inside or do the sims get dangerously cold.

I have a few from awhile ago, when my sims were on a quest for a pink diamond.
    (Basically for five days all they did was dig in holes lol)

diamondhunt22_zps04c05150.png

He must have ate something nasty

diamondhunt23_zps59a062f9.png

diamondhunt18_zps48d5e48d.png

@Jessa_Dakkar, thank you for reading my stories, I hope you enjoy them! :D
    @anywho211, I just love your idea of a curtain tent! It's so frustrating to "not" see what's happening inside... ;):o
    NymlADp.jpg