Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cascades & Daily Deals- Getting the best bang for your SP

Comments

• ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    World Inspiration Collection- ~ 716 total sp
    - DD# 468: Contented Sighs (7sp)
    - DD# 555: Country Carved Tableware Cabinet (7sp)
    - DD# 623: Pastoral Practical Kitchen Shelf (12sp)
    - DD# 713: Ki-mini Kimono Outfit (23sp)
    - DD# 768: Spa Necessities (7sp)
    - DD# 794: Dojo Double Bed (43sp)
    - DD# 942: Sweet Serenity Lily Pad Mini Pond (13sp)
    - DD# 964: The Two Elements Sink (26sp)
    - DD# 52: Zen Again set (~152sp)
    - DD# 116: Imperial Bedroom Zen (~63sp)
    - DD# 152: Provence (~95sp)
    - DD# 206: Africa Inspired: City Side Braids (25sp)
    - DD# 242: Best of 2010 will give you Worldly Goodies, which is in this compilation,
    - DD# 315: Cante Captivating (209sp) -- this should be the last piece to push you over to a lovely little download button! This is a great way to acquire Adventurous Life (Africa Inspired Collection + Safari Living + Rockwall) which is not CYS. These items above carry a SPV of 3412sp, which makes the CYS -10 (free!) If you already own some of this compilation, give me a shout, and I'll try to help you work it out.

**If you're doing World Inspiration, you should pick up DD# 141- Empyrian Luxury Loveseat (38sp)- this will let you pick up Morocco Mystique + Cante Captivating for 50 sp.**

Blast From the Past/May 2011 Compilation/ Finest Living Finest cooking (502 TOT SP)
    - Mid-Century Bed & Bath- free from Trailblazer cascade
    - DD# 525: A Little Chilly Dress (37 sp)
    - DD# 654: Tubular Television (55 sp)
    - DD# 836: Rocket Johnny's Retro Ride (80 sp) ((also DD# 39))
    - DD# 879: Pocketed Skirt (43)
    - DD# 59: Eloquently Eclectic Collection - free- gives you 2 items necessary for this cascade
    - DD# 91: Lloyd Wright Bookshelf (23 sp)
    - DD# 129: Forever Living Plant (8 sp)
    - DD# 169: Mid Century Fantasy (131 sp)
    - This will trigger the green download button for the Blast From the Past compilation. This gives you Mid Century Kitchen Marvels for free.
    - After completing the World Inspirations Compilation at DD# 315, go to Finest Living/Finest Cooking and click your green download. This gives you Japanese Inspired Living for free!
    - DD# 448: Sleek Chic (45 sp)
    - Now go click on May 2011, you can complete the set for 80 sp. This means you will have gotten Everyday Casual Chic for a total of 205 sp

I want to try this out, although I already have some individual items from the sets which are included. What does that mean in the terms of trying out these cascades?

• Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    @ninaumi As long as the sets are CYS then owning individual items will always work in your favor. This is where using the "Set_Tracking" tab in the spreadsheet is invaluable. Keep column C updated with your CYS as shown on the set's page in the store. Then keep an eye ahead on any upcoming sets on the DD from the cascade. Once you see the "Should be free" message appear next to a set in the Rotation tab, don't buy any more items from that set, even if it is listed in the cascade. This is because the cascade assumes that you are starting from scratch, but you may reach the target CYS ahead of schedule if you already own pieces of the set. At that point, buying more pieces is just wasting points.

If the "CYS to be free" is 503, and your CYS is 500, buying another piece and lowering your CYS to 425 doesn't do you any good. You already met your goal at 500.

Of course, sometimes the cascade just happens regardless of previous purchases. I can't give an example off the top of my head, but there are times when things just snowball so quickly that even if you owned nothing from Set A you will still get it free after you get sets B and C. In those instances, having already owned pieces from Set A will have done no good, but the cascade will still have been well worth it. Then the previous purchase just falls under the "well, I liked it then so I bought it then" category.

I hope this makes sense. It's kind of a hard one to explain in general terms. If you are still scratching your head, tell me some specifics of the example you have in mind and I'll explain it more precisely.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    I just saw this:
    March 2011 Compilation -- 429 SP
    - DD# 872: Futureshock Living (429 sp)
    - DD# 20: March 2011 compilation -- free!!!!! That gives you Street Couture and Through the Spy Glass Bathroom for free! TTSG Bathroom is also in Fortune's Folly.

But, I already own some items from Street Couture... In fact, I own 20% of that. How can I do this?
  • JahnnaJahnna Posts: 406 Member
    ninaumi wrote: »
    I just saw this:
    - DD# 20: March 2011 compilation -- free!!!!! That gives you Street Couture and Through the Spy Glass Bathroom for free! TTSG Bathroom is also in Fortune's Folly.

But, I already own some items from Street Couture... In fact, I own 20% of that. How can I do this?

You need to own Futureshock Living to get the March 2011 Compilation for free.
    I own the store since March 4th, 2017! Thanks to everybody who has helped me achieve this!
    TheSims3.com: Jahnna
  • LillaGrisenLillaGrisen Posts: 510 Member
    edited March 2017
    I just saw this:
    Hm... How big is your current CYS for March 2011 (as in, how much would you pay for it if you bought it right now)? Depending on the CYS it might or might not be cheaper to go a different route than the one specified in this cascade.
    Don't worry about it ;)
    I just saw this:
    Hm... How big is your current CYS for March 2011 (as in, how much would you pay for it if you bought it right now)? Depending on the CYS it might or might not be cheaper to go a different route than the one specified in this cascade.

My price is 2395.
    I just saw this:

My price is 2395.

Let me check something for you.
    I own the store since March 4th, 2017! Thanks to everybody who has helped me achieve this!
    edited March 2017
    Jahnna wrote: »
    I just saw this:

My price is 2395.

Let me check something for you.

*facepalm* I did my calculations to find out how much your CYS price will be for March 2011 after owning Futureshock Living only. My calculations came to 1371,6 simpoints for the remaining set but it didn't make sense that it would be free as the price had basically only halved.
    But I totally missed the DD# 20 thing. To get March 2011 for free by only owning Futureshock Living you will have to wait until March 2011 comes on a Daily Deal. The DD# 20 will be on the 19th of March, starting at 12:09 UTC.
    Now, when I calculate it with the Daily Deal price the calculation actually comes to -4,2 simpoints, meaning it will be free :-) I think thats the cheapest possible way to get there. Well, that is if you manage to get Futureshock Living for the 429 simpoints, or get the items gifted.
    @ninaumi I can confirm what @Jahnna said: the best thing would be if you could get the Futureshock Living set. However, you should probably put a couple of the items from that set in your WL in order to hopefully lower the CYS a bunch before it comes up on the DD in a few days (or just wait until next rotation).
    Don't worry about it ;)
    edited March 2017
    Thank you for your effort @Jahnna !

I'm still a bit confused. Does that still mean that I need to own Futureshock Living? I just want to be sure.

@LillaGrisen Oh, thank you so much for this suggestion!
    edited March 2017

I'm still a bit confused. Does that still mean that I need to own Futureshock Living? I just want to be sure.
    You don't have to own Futureshock Living, but going the planned cascade route will cost the least sp. If you follow the cascade you'll be paying 429 sp at most. If you choose to try and lower your CYS on March 2011 to the point where it'll be a green button download on DD #20 without the cascade it can cost you up to 900 sp! (according to the calculator it's technically 899, but same difference - it's a lot of excessive sp!)

To answer your question: Yes, you should follow the cascade as it was written.
    Don't worry about it ;)
    edited March 2017
    @ninaumi Let me show you how the calculations work first.

To find out how much your CYS price will be together with the Daily deal and with items you already own and/or items you know you will own/buy before - you have to do the following calculation:

(Price for the set * 0,9) - (Value for all items you own/will own * 0,9)
    = Price the set will be in the end

That comes to the following calculation:
    March 2011 on DD: 1200
    Combined value of all items in Futureshock Living: 1338

(1200 * 0,9) - (1338 * 0,9)
    = 1080 - 1204,2
    = -124,2 -> Set is free.

So, technically you don't need to own all items of Futureshock Living alone, since you already own a few items from Street Couture, which could replace a few Futureshock Living items.
    Let's assume the 20% you already own from Street Couture have a combined value of 600 simpoints (very unlikely). Now you can deduct 600 from 1338 (the value of all Futureshock Living items), that would leave you with 738. This means that in order to get the March 2011 Compilation without owning the whole Futureshock Living set, you would have to spend a minimum total of 738 simpoints on other items to get "March 2011" for free.
    I'm sure you see where this is going. 429 simpoints for Futureshock Living on the DD would be much much cheaper than for you to purchase other seperate items with a value that probably exceeds 738 simpoints.

My advice is the following: Put a few items from Futureshock Living on your wishlist in the Top 5. Each item will continue to reduce the price you will have to pay for Futureshock Living on March 9th. If you get enough gifts you could even get that set for free + March 2011 afterwards.

You don't have to own Futureshock Living, but going the planned cascade route will cost the least sp. If you follow the cascade you'll be paying 429 sp at most. If you choose to try and lower your CYS on March 2011 to the point where it'll be a green button download on DD #20 without the cascade it can cost you up to 900 sp! (according to the calculator it's technically 899, but same difference - it's a lot of excessive sp!)

Plum. You beat me on that one! :p But I guess I went a little more in depth lol

Haha, yeah! :lol:

I didn't know that you could do that calculation. I usually just use Elianahere's calculator. However, I'm not sure that 1200 * 0,9 equals 1200... :tongue:
    Don't worry about it ;)
    edited March 2017

Haha, yeah! :lol:

I didn't know that you could do that calculation. I usually just use Elianahere's calculator. However, I'm not sure that 1200 * 0,9 equals 1200... :tongue:

lol you are right I replaced the value from my previous calculation but forgot to adjust the other one :D:D:D Corrected. :P
    edited March 2017
    I use Elianahere's calculator when I do my calculations, too.
    Edit: Thank you both so much! :heart:
    edited March 2017
    I used to use Elianahere's calculator but now I have the calculations for how CYS works in general, how a CYS price will work together with a Daily Deal discount and how a CYS discount will work with a Sale discount.

The "CYS discount" and "CYS + Daily Deal discount" methods are interchangeable in some cases. Elianahere's calculator works with the second formula. I used the first method to explain in depth how her calculations will go around. @ninaumi You might find this helpful.
    d4d967e66cd8e70e9b61aea4d9d2160d.png
    Maths. :worried: Khm, alright, I'll study this. :):lol:
    By the way, I decided that I don't want that compilation. Now, as I have Midnight Hollow (thanks again, @charlotteprice :blush: ) , I've realized that I just want that one set Street Couture, from that compilation.
    @ninaumi Haha I know, maths. Trust me, I am absolutely terrible at maths, I always have been. But I still somehow managed to figure out these calculations lol And if a total math noob like me could do that then trust me, understanding it is not hard when you really look into it :)
    Wow, algebra class. Ok, carry on.
    aka Jude

My Studio

edited March 2017
    I don't know if the boards have rules about double posting, but after our talks about the Animals Abound cascade I had to share this, even though I've just shared it over on the DD thread.

I just got the baby registry for my niece's baby shower. Basically it's the Animals Abound collection! Check it out.....

These are the two items that are on the registry....
    nojo%20lamp_zpsbilsaxes.jpg
    NoJo-Jungle-Babies-Wall-Decals--pTRU1-5448926dt_zps1hh3xydl.jpg
    And this is the whole collection from Babies-R-Us...
    nojo%20room_zpsobc8eudo.jpg

I can't wait until after the shower to show her the collection from the Sims. I'll have to take some shots in game and save them to my tablet/phone to share with her. It's just absolutely hysterical.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• sarah1114sarah1114 Posts: 76 Member
    Hey I have a question,

So, the Man Cave Cascade

Man Cave Compilation- 278 total SP
    - DD #420: 8bits of screaming awesomeness (17 SP)
    - DD #537: Wall of Greats (9 SP)
    - DD #573: Vertical Challenge Rock Wall (180 SP)
    - DD #660: Hokey Table (22 SP)
    - DD #714: Man Cave Compilation- final price taking into account only these 4 DD purchases - (50 SP) !!! That's a 3,000 SP compilation for 278 SP.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy DD #31Rim Rockin’ Basketball Hoop rather than the Vertical Challenge? Basketball is worth 593 and only costs 130, while Rock Wall is only worth 545 SP, and costs 180.

So am I just doing something wrong here or would the compilation still work with Basketball over Rock Wall and still be cheaper?

My Wishlist
    Thank you to anyone who has ever gifted me, I really appreciate it! :)
    @sarah1114 your math seems sound. @ajaxpost and @Me1620 , Adrian and Jodi, you've been doing this a lot longer than I have, any input?
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,994 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Jude525 - I have found that CYS is sometimes unpredictable. Many times my estimates for CYS are accurate but not always. I will give my 2 cents on this question.
    sarah1114 wrote: »
    So, the Man Cave Cascade ...

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy DD #31Rim Rockin’ Basketball Hoop rather than the Vertical Challenge? Basketball is worth 593 and only costs 130, while Rock Wall is only worth 545 SP, and costs 180.

So am I just doing something wrong here or would the compilation still work with Basketball over Rock Wall and still be cheaper?

@sarah1114 - I believe you are correct. I worked the CYS replacing the Vertical Challenge with the Basketball Hoop. I calculate your CYS would be 2030 when Man Cave comes up for deal 714 and your price should be 5 sp. You would be spending 180 sp instead of 278 sp.

Looking at the cascasde which LadybugLeslie posted, I was wondering if she followed this route when the DD rotation was midway through. If that was the case, she would have missed deal 31.

So after I worked through the calculation, I search "man cave" in this thread and found this post which verifies your thinking.
    AlphaFen wrote: »
    Done and done. I won't be able to buy the vertical rock wall when it comes up but I already have the basket ball hoop and I hope that will even things out. Hoping to get the safe table thing from the coffee bean hipster set tommorrow. Thanks for the help LadybugLeslie

@AlphaFen‌ - the basketball hoop is worth 593 pts, so it will sub out for the rock wall nicely. It's actually almost 50 points more than the rockwall, so you might actually be able to get man cave for free or like 5 sp when it pops up if you get the other small things. You need a CYS of 2025 for the compilation to be free on DD.

I'm trying to wake up for the safe table thing too! Best of luck to you :)
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    @me1620, thanks Jodi.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top