Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cascades & Daily Deals- Getting the best bang for your SP

Comments

• simgeek79simgeek79 Posts: 2,173 Member
    Oh my goodness LadybugLeslie you are brilliant! Wow! I hated math in high school. I remember thinking, "When will I ever use this stuff" if only someone had told me it would help me save tons of simoleons I would have paid attention!!!!! Thank's for your update on the World Inspiration Compilation. I'm only missing three of the items from your list and have marked my google calendar for them. Only 74 simpoints for me! Sounds too good to be true! I think it was notthecar that recently shared a way to get that compilation. Based on what she had and I had, I had to purchase Safari Living off of the DD for 221 spts to get the green download. I'll take 74 spts instead :smile:

Further to what I was saying this morning, I believe I bought a few items off of the DD for Killer Classics and then ended up getting Killer Classics free off the DD and then getting the January 2012 compilation free (Edwardian Kitchen, Steam Punk Kitchen free). I really wish I had taken notes but maybe just knowing there is relationship between the sets can be helpful knowledge. Thanks again for doing all this research. You are awesome! (*)
    I now Own the Store!!...Thank you to everyone who helped me get here <3

Are u new to the Store? Then check out: the Daily Deal Thread
    - Cascades & Daily Deals & Love Kids Stuff? Check this out!
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    ajaxpost wrote: »
    Glad you veterans don't mind :) I was worried someone might be annoyed I started a different thread. But I have a lot of math to share :):):)
    I can't imagine any of the DD elders* would be upset.

Finding good information can be difficult, especially when it gets buried in a big and busy general thread. Now it has it's own place in time and space it'll be so much easier to find and bookmark. :)

* I like to use that word because some young 'uns think it only means "old" and got concerned the last time I used it B)
    To whom could you be referring. It wasn't me. *cough cough* I look just like my Simself, a young adult. ;)

@LadybugLeslie - I have now added a link to this thread on the Welcome page of the spreadsheet.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2015
    Re: Getting the best deal on Best of 2012.

I have the Chun Co Teppanyaki Grill, the Soothsayer's Crystal Ball, India Inspiration- Tanchoi Touches Top, Food Sample Sculpture, Impermanent Dinner Table, and Zen Garden Lamp. My current CYS price for the 2012 compilation is 4,320sp. Itadakimasu! Japanese Inspired Dining is coming up fairly soon and I should be able to get the rest of that free anyway according to the calculator (in fact, the calculator says I've actually already spent too much on it, because I was aiming ineptly for the Best of 2012 and nothing thinking logically about individual sets.)

What do you think would be my best approach for getting the compilation? Still buy the Greenhouse? The greenhouse is something I really want, and if I don't buy it on this rotation and then the list doesn't rotate again I know I'll be kicking myself.
    Post edited by Grouchybeast on
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • stephenhamburgstephenhamburg Posts: 315 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've only been around since the very beginning of sim-dom/land, by that I mean the original simcity, that doesn't make me old, that makes me ancient...and gorgeous, I look just like my sim avatar, with the lights dimmed and enough nectar.

Bit of a doo-da with Folly Fortunes, but I guess it's living up to it's name. If I get enough working ads, I may even get it :-)

You were very quick doing the math, thank you.
    Happy simming to all simmers.

wishlist free since 10th June 2015
  • LadybugLeslieLadybugLeslie Posts: 698 Member
    simgeek79 wrote: »
    Oh my goodness LadybugLeslie you are brilliant! Wow! I hated math in high school. I remember thinking, "When will I ever use this stuff" if only someone had told me it would help me save tons of simoleons I would have paid attention!!!!! Thank's for your update on the World Inspiration Compilation. I'm only missing three of the items from your list and have marked my google calendar for them. Only 74 simpoints for me! Sounds too good to be true! I think it was notthecar that recently shared a way to get that compilation. Based on what she had and I had, I had to purchase Safari Living off of the DD for 221 spts to get the green download. I'll take 74 spts instead :smile:

Further to what I was saying this morning, I believe I bought a few items off of the DD for Killer Classics and then ended up getting Killer Classics free off the DD and then getting the January 2012 compilation free (Edwardian Kitchen, Steam Punk Kitchen free). I really wish I had taken notes but maybe just knowing there is relationship between the sets can be helpful knowledge. Thanks again for doing all this research. You are awesome! (*)

::blushing:: You're so sweet @simgeek79‌ I will say, my love of bargain hunting has kept my basic math skills fairly sharp. And I married an engineer with a double major in math, so he keeps me on the right track ;) That World Inspiration Collection seems crazy to me, too! It works because the set is a huge discount off of buying all the individual items separately (all the items total up to 6312 SP but the set is 3400)

What is your CYS price on the collection at the moment? I'm curious if you'll even need everything I listed.

As far as Jan 2012, did you own the More Magic set or the crystal ball set as well?

Re: Getting the best deal on Best of 2012.

I have the Chun Co Teppanyaki Grill, the Soothsayer's Crystal Ball, India Inspiration- Tanchoi Touches Top, Food Sample Sculpture, Impermanent Dinner Table, and Zen Garden Lamp. My current CYS price for the 2012 compilation is 4,320sp. Itadakimasu! Japanese Inspired Dining is coming up fairly soon and I should be able to get the rest of that free anyway according to the calculator (in fact, the calculator says I've actually already spent too much on it, because I was aiming ineptly for the Best of 2012 and nothing thinking logically about individual sets.)

What do you think would be my best approach for getting the compilation? Still buy the Greenhouse? The greenhouse is something I really want, and if I don't buy it on this rotation and then the list doesn't rotate again I know I'll be kicking myself.

@Grouchybeast‌ - if I were you, I'd buy the greenhouse @ DD# 952. I'd also go ahead and pick up the Itadakimasu! set since it's free and it will give you a little extra cushion towards your CYS. It is a bummer you bought those other pieces of it. You only need to own the grill to get the set for free on DD. This way you're really only eating a few smaller SP and you don't have to do all the crazy stuff I'm doing to get mine. I have already bought the Indian clothing, so I am committed to my strategy, otherwise I'd be wasting loads of SP, but I think your best bet is to get the greenhouse.
    I've only been around since the very beginning of sim-dom/land, by that I mean the original simcity, that doesn't make me old, that makes me ancient...and gorgeous, I look just like my sim avatar, with the lights dimmed and enough nectar.

Bit of a doo-da with Folly Fortunes, but I guess it's living up to it's name. If I get enough working ads, I may even get it :-)

You were very quick doing the math, thank you.

@stephenhamburg‌ -- I played the original simcity too! But I was a baby, a teeny tiny baby. There is no way I'm old! I could never keep my city from self-destructing though. Ha. I was not very good at it. You're welcome for the math :)

Me1620 wrote: »
    @LadybugLeslie - I have now added a link to this thread on the Welcome page of the spreadsheet.

Cool! Thanks :smiley:
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    @LadybugLeslie - yes, I think I've wasted points in various places, due to not understanding the finer details of the DD/CYS interactions. Hopefully I'll be doing better from now on. I did just get two nice >40% off offers on MMAO which actually had things I wanted -- including the One With Nature set which I've never noticed before but has some really pretty items. Pity it isn't part of any compilations.

Thank you for your help :smile:
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
    edited January 2015
    Nice @Grouchybeast‌ ! I have yet to get a MMAO I wanted!!

I've updated the first post with info on the Make a Wish compilation :D

EDIT: Also Island Escape Compilation
    Post edited by LadybugLeslie on
    @LadybugLeslie said...

"::blushing:: You're so sweet @simgeek79‌ I will say, my love of bargain hunting has kept my basic math skills fairly sharp. And I married an engineer with a double major in math, so he keeps me on the right track ;) That World Inspiration Collection seems crazy to me, too! It works because the set is a huge discount off of buying all the individual items separately (all the items total up to 6312 SP but the set is 3400)"

Oh, so that's how it works. @LadybugLeslie, my current CYS on World Inspiration is 28% or 1400spts. I own Provence, Imperial Zen Bedroom, Worldly Goodies, the rock climbing wall, I will get Zen Again when it comes up on the DD in March. I own a few bits of it but need to buy the sink and then the set will be free. In addition, I just need to buy the Braids and the Kimono as I own nothing in those two sets.

As for More Magic and the Crystal Ball I got those in November 2014 when I bought Supernatural. It was this set that tipped the scales and gave me the set free (owed 375spts before that) owning only the Greenhouse and two small items from the Japanese set. :) By the way, is it ok to call you Leslie? You can call me Dani :)

Oh, so that's how it works. @LadybugLeslie, my current CYS on World Inspiration is 28% or 1400spts. I own Provence, Imperial Zen Bedroom, Worldly Goodies, the rock climbing wall, I will get Zen Again when it comes up on the DD in March. I own a few bits of it but need to buy the sink and then the set will be free. In addition, I just need to buy the Braids and the Kimono as I own nothing in those two sets.

As for More Magic and the Crystal Ball I got those in November 2014 when I bought Supernatural. It was this set that tipped the scales and gave me the set free (owed 375spts before that) owning only the Greenhouse and two small items from the Japanese set. :) By the way, is it ok to call you Leslie? You can call me Dani :)

Hi Dani! You can totally call me Leslie :relaxed: Looks like you're right on track to follow along just picking up the few pieces I have listed for World Inspirations. That's awesome that you'll be able to get Zen Again for free when it pops up! And yes, you just need to buy those single items, because they have a nice high SPV even though they aren't very expensive on the DD.
    Thanks again Leslie, I'm going to go check out your tips on Make a Wish Now :)

Just a reminder that the counter that's on DD right now is part of my cascade for Best of 2010 if anyone else is following that route too.
  • RadleeRadlee Posts: 483 Member
    i just wanted to comment that if you're working on the island compilation, if you're also working on best of 2010, you'll be getting the tiki living and tiki dining as part of best of 2010, so if those sets are all you need to get the island comp free with the dd price, you could potentially never pay for any of it!
    edited January 2015
    Hey @LadybugLeslie just wanted to share another tip. Our lovely @Radlee pointed out a few weeks back that if you own the Barrier to Entry and the Larger than Life screen (both items have appeared on the Sale Page in the past) they count towards the CYS of the Le Cinema Plumbob in the March 2013 Compilation. Then, if you own a few pieces of Live, Laugh, Love you can get it for free/cheap on the DD (just past) and then you get the March 2013 Comp for 420spt! :)
    Edit: It's actually only 220 spts!! Sorry for the error :(
    Post edited by simgeek79 on

Hey @LadybugLeslie just wanted to share another tip. Our lovely @Radlee pointed out a few weeks back that if you own the Barrier to Entry and the Larger than Life screen (both items have appeared on the Sale Page in the past) they count towards the CYS of the Le Cinema Plumbob in the March 2013 Compilation. Then, if you own a few pieces of Live, Laugh, Love you can get it for free/cheap on the DD (just past) and then you get the March 2013 Comp for 420spt! :)

Oh yes! I've been meaning to look into this!! Thanks for reminding me. I'll write it up soon!
    The first item of the man cave cascade is on DD right now :)
  • AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    Done and done. I won't be able to buy the vertical rock wall when it comes up but I already have the basket ball hoop and I hope that will even things out. Hoping to get the safe table thing from the coffee bean hipster set tommorrow. Thanks for the help LadybugLeslie
    AlphaFen wrote: »
    Done and done. I won't be able to buy the vertical rock wall when it comes up but I already have the basket ball hoop and I hope that will even things out. Hoping to get the safe table thing from the coffee bean hipster set tommorrow. Thanks for the help LadybugLeslie

@AlphaFen‌ - the basketball hoop is worth 593 pts, so it will sub out for the rock wall nicely. It's actually almost 50 points more than the rockwall, so you might actually be able to get man cave for free or like 5 sp when it pops up if you get the other small things. You need a CYS of 2025 for the compilation to be free on DD.

I'm trying to wake up for the safe table thing too! Best of luck to you :)
  • AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    I am already lucky, I am in England so I don't have to stay up its 8.30 am over here.

So sorry you have to miss some sleep to get the safe I don't have the stamina for staying up like others on the forum. I miss the deals that come in overnight because if I don't get enough rest everyone within at least a 1 mile radius tends to suffer my sleepy wrath.

Good news about the hoop my CYS is 2120 so I am not far off and hopefully the hoop will cover anything I can't stay up for.

I hope you manage and of course anyone else staying up for it. Best of luck right back at you :)
  • ellabrodey9ellabrodey9 Posts: 261 Member
    Lookie here and guess who didn't wake up early enough :s

Would it be better to buy it full price now or just not get it at all?

Lookie here and guess who didn't wake up early enough :s

Would it be better to buy it full price now or just not get it at all?

@ellabrodey9‌ - Do you own anything else from Coffee Bean hipster loft? The end table was worth 50 SP, but if you own something else already you might be ok. Otherwise, you could buy it full price, or just pay slightly more when the compilation comes up on DD.
    Lol Leslie you and I are on the same page! I should be getting the Fun for Kids comp free when it comes up and I've already logged those Indulgent Living items into my Google calendar. Can't wait to get that set and make progress on the Monarch suite. Not sure if you're looking at the Hogan set/ Rebel Because. There r quite a few pieces on this DD list. I bought the table this morning as my first item. Have a great day and thanks for doing all this :smiley:

edited January 2015
    Ha! @simgeek79‌ - I also just finished adding the Full Regal Living set to the first post too :blush: I haven't looked into the Hogan Set/ Rebel Just Because, but I will try to do that this week!
    Look at you busy bee! You are a woman on a mission @LadybugLeslie :smiley:

• PenndraPenndra Posts: 695 Member
    edited January 2015
    @Ladybugleslie with the Animals Abound Cascade I got a blue download button on both top o tots and kids 2010 but it did not change the percentage of completed, nor did it activate anything new as owned. Do I need to do something else?

edit:
    I found some of it showing as owned in IE. But not in Google.
    TS3 Store advice: DD Stalkers * DD Cascades * Complete a Set
    wishes & Thank-you!! Huggles!
    YouTube tutorial: How-to make UFO's in TS3 *
    Machinima in the making: March of Bears -a psychological thriller *
    Research Blog: Garden/Recipe
    Penndra wrote: »
    @Ladybugleslie with the Animals Abound Cascade I got a blue download button on both top o tots and kids 2010 but it did not change the percentage of completed, nor did it activate anything new as owned. Do I need to do something else?

edit:
    I found some of it showing as owned in IE. But not in Google.

It usually takes about an hour for your CYS discounts to get updated after new purchases. Sometimes logging out and back in helps. Did you click on the download buttons?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top