Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Show us your recent WIPs here!

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Your wedding lot with a home WIP is looking beautiful! @luckyheather :) The glass and floral roof gazebo wedding ceremony and guests seating area is lovely! The lilypads pond with water fountains is pretty! Very nice fenced gardening area. The umbrella covered reception dining tables with patterned rugs under them are very nice!
    It is looking lovely! :)
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @luckyheather

This lot is gorgeous. I really love the way you have designed and themed the outside areas . I really like the little gazebo with the piano area just to the side. I also like the way you have placed the tables around the lot with that decoration underneath it and the bird feeder also makes a wonderful addition for this style of lot. The pond and little garden area is beautiful amand matches the surroundings perfectly. Is this going to be a wedding themed community lot or a residential home? either way the whole build suits Brindleton Bay perfectly :)<3
  • luckyheatherluckyheather Posts: 19,779 Member

Thanks @SPARKY1922 :) for saying such great comments about the wedding garden I am enjoying so far and I have the house itself to finish the inside, that will keep me busy today :) The home did not have to be furnished but I thought it would be better for the gallery if it was. The challenge by #clousinators is from a forum thread with other challenges that have no end date so that great for me to be able to do them whenever I feel like it, that park you took was one of her chall's :) Thanks for taking a peek at the WIP its so nice to hear what ppl think of how its going so far.
    edited May 2021
    Another WIP its for a Birthday Challenge by #Tazkabaz

Its supposed to look like a Cake, I decided to do a Mad Hatters Birthday Party. It can be a house but I might make it a Cafe
    Front
    18Mfjbf.png
    Rear Garden
    eFkqT8N.png
    Your Mad Hatters Birthday Party themed shell challenge build is looking so very great! @luckyheather :) You are so very creative! The black,white and red colors are very nice and the chequered flooring of the outdoors level looks great! The hearts shd the clock are very nice on the walls. The outdoors areas are very great! The tea party dining table with mismatched chairs on the sides is very nice! The fountains in the corner nooks are pretty! Sims will enjoy eating and drinking food and drinks from the buffet table and fountain. Very nice chequered dance floor area!Sims will have fun dancing to the gramophone music and have fun playing card table games.
    It is very nice! :)

Thanks @rosemow :) for saying how creative I am <3 so kind of you to say that and to point out the areas of the Hatters Party that look great and what sims will enjoy outside :) I do enjoy doing Alice in Wonderland themes I never get bored doing them and I think the fun cake shape of the build is just right for whimsical Wonderland Hatter style. I still am not certain what lot it will become, I did put the Cafe counter on the ground level inside so I am still deciding :) Thanks again for such awesome comments.
  • NeashaleighNeashaleigh Posts: 760 Member
    I love modern houses. Actually, I love all types, but I am really bad at making modern houses so I keep trying to improve my skills. This is my current WIP. I'm not sure if I'll finish it or not. I'll see how I feel. At the moment it's not doing much for me. If anyone has any tips or pointers, I'm so open. Also, if there is a Modern House Building Tips/Tutorial thread anywhere, please let me know!

FayEGvy.png
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
  • Khree29Khree29 Posts: 53 Member
    These are all so inspiring. So much awesome imagination.
  • ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2021
    I have a build that I uploaded recently called "Seagrave Park" which I made on the 50x40 lot in Newcrest. It is a park build but also contains a yoga studio (spa), gym area, the amenities for a national park, and a pool. (It is also should be pet friendly.) While I have uploaded it, I have not play tested it (see reason below).
    I'm including a pic of it as a point of reference to my work in progress. Seagrave_Park_1.png

Above all, I want to keep the "yoga studio" (spa) set up, the pool set-up, and the park. "Seagrave Park" is named for an old acquaintance of mine who was a former Olympic swimming hopeful in Canada just before the 1996 Olympics. (The gal she trained with was on the 1996 Canadian Olympic team and won a silver in one of the events.) Anyways, we lost touch not long after the 1996 Olympics but the idea to name a park after her that contained a pool seemed apropos. I imagine she might have gotten into yoga has she got older (from what I knew of her) so hence the yoga studio.

That said, I am open to input and suggestions on the build as there are things I'm not 100% happy with about it.

As a matter of fact, it is because I was not 100% happy with it that I decided I wanted to create a smaller version of "Seagrave Park" called "Seagrave Park Redeux" which is the work in progress here: Seagrave_Park_Redeux_1.pngSeagrave_Park_Redeux_2.png

Would like some input on a few things here specifically:
    1) In theory, how many grid blocks would be "enough" around the pool? Asking because the 'concrete' options are considered "industrial footprint" and it feels like a park should keep that limited when possible. I played it kinda fast and loose with the original but I also used the terrain paint because there is an option there doesn't leave an industrial footprint (which I may also do here).
    2) Should I move the front of the building closer to the sidewalk so there will be more space around the pool and picnic (national park) area? Another idea that I had (though it will be a bit of a pain to do) is turn the building sideways or (the less annoying to do) move the "yoga studio" toward the front and to one side with a walkway going back to the pool and picnic area. Thoughts?
    3) Not as much input but why don't food stall automatically get people working them? At least I was told they don't elsewhere in the forums. I had originally wanted to a "food stall area" where the bar area is in the original version of the build.
    4) Honestly not sure if I want to use that lot or another. Deciding on which lot to end something up at is kind of the bane of my existence on this game.

The landscaping on the Redeux build is a work in progress as I usually attend to that last but I had some specific ideas regarding the area around the building. The hedges around the property are temporary and for point of reference for me. Oh and one last thing... both builds are done without "move objects" on and I intend to keep it that way. (None of my builds use CC either.)

Any additional input or suggestions are welcomed. I've a few "Work in progress" builds that I would love input on actually but wanted to start with this one and see what kind (if any) feedback I get.

Post edited by ghamrick75 on
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
    Seagrave Park is a very lovely build! @ghamrick75 :) The design snd layout of the park is great! Each area is very nice! It is very nice that there are yoga, gym and pool areas, as well as a great basketball court snd kids play area. Sims will enjoy cooking on the grill and dining outdoors at the picnic table. The pets training area is great! It is very nice that you are creating a smaller version also. It looks great!
    Simmers who are builders will be able to help you with your questions and offer suggestions, based on what they have found when they were doing their own builds.
  • imogerimoger Posts: 5,790 Member
    Im working on the finishing touches on this build, hopefully will be up till end of the week with pictures.

Modern%2BZen%2BGarden%2B-%2B2.jpg
    edited May 2021
    rosemow wrote: »
    Seagrave Park is a very lovely build! @ghamrick75 :) The design and layout of the park is great! Each area is very nice! It is very nice that there are yoga, gym and pool areas, as well as a great basketball court and kids play area. Sims will enjoy cooking on the grill and dining outdoors at the picnic table. The pets training area is great! It is very nice that you are creating a smaller version also. It looks great!
    Simmers who are builders will be able to help you with your questions and offer suggestions, based on what they have found when they were doing their own builds.

Thanks. Glad you liked it. Hoping a few of the builders here might get back to me on it as well.
    Post edited by ghamrick75 on
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • StarratsStarrats Posts: 288 Member
    My current project: Just 1 Windenburg building hugging the other Windenburg building while watching the sunrise

183178709_10157796903161630_5116057403988021264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=B6rhUS3-scYAX_UvzmM&_nc_ht=scontent.fams2-1.fna&oh=7bfd70d3fc0549a2c11790c51920ba35&oe=60B9BFCD
    <3 My Gallery ID is oOStarratsOo
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    @ghamrick75 Hello! I decided to try your feedback request:

1. I am not sure what you are after, since esthetically you have to make that choice yourself. But you don't need to have flooring around the pool functionally. There are also other concrete-looking floorings without Industrial Footprint, and of course flooring not concrete-looking.

2. This is an esthetical choice.

3. I think one explanation could be to minimize resources used generating server sims. There is an option to pay for one to show up, clicking on the food stall. Depending on what lot assignment you choose, different actions are possible. For this reason I choose the lot assignment only for what mechanism it provides, not for the general associations it gives me. A tip is to test with different objects combined with different lot assignments, and see what happens and what sims are generated. I think DU comes with a food court that will generate a server sim on several lot assignments, for instance.

4. I am uncertain what you mean by lot: the particular place in the world; the size of it; the assignment (residential/park etc).

I like this. Move objects cheat is overused, and mostly by players that do not know anything about games and how they work, and so they mess up the routing with it. If the builder is unexperienced and have not thought the usage through, the esthetical result is not attractive enough to warrant the use of the cheat.

@Starrats I really liked your dreamy presentation of the lots.
    I keep starting new builds and then not finishing them, but I want to try to finish this one. I'm using only base game, Island Living and Jungle Adventure. It's a house on a "lake" with a basement viewing and living area.

eoSrOGm.png
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    Your WIP is looking lovely! @Neashaleigh :) It is very nice that it is on a lake. Very nice warm wood walls. The trees, flower and greenery are lovely! Very nice fencing.
    @ghamrick75 Hello! I decided to try your feedback request:

1. I am not sure what you are after, since esthetically you have to make that choice yourself. But you don't need to have flooring around the pool functionally. There are also other concrete-looking floorings without Industrial Footprint, and of course flooring not concrete-looking.

2. This is an esthetical choice.

3. I think one explanation could be to minimize resources used generating server sims. There is an option to pay for one to show up, clicking on the food stall. Depending on what lot assignment you choose, different actions are possible. For this reason I choose the lot assignment only for what mechanism it provides, not for the general associations it gives me. A tip is to test with different objects combined with different lot assignments, and see what happens and what sims are generated. I think DU comes with a food court that will generate a server sim on several lot assignments, for instance.

4. I am uncertain what you mean by lot: the particular place in the world; the size of it; the assignment (residential/park etc).

1) I guess I am thinking in terms of set design and blocking. The "issue" is simply one of how many "grid blocks" between the pool and say another object (like one of the pool lounge chairs) or the boundary of the lot (well one space way from it technically) for the purpose of aesthetics and routing to some extent. It seems hard translating "real world distance" to grid blocks in the game. Actually, it is practically impossible with some items. Nevertheless, I was just wondering if looked odd / off to anyone putting the pool clear to the edge of the lot. I did that on the larger version of the park and I am honestly not sure I like it.

2) I think I managed to get this one resolved already. And while it IS partially aesthetical, I was again thinking about how Sims access that lot in particular. The current lot "Rippling Flats" seems to have two 'sidewalk entry points' and I was intending to have Sims be directed as close to those as points for entering the lot. Though I found that turning the Yoga Studio sideways caused a minor design issue that I would rather not have there.
    I guess the biggest thing is "will Sims stay on walking paths properly" even when there are not things like rocks and plants / flowers in the way. It is something that I have honestly not paid enough attention to during game play... especially on "commercial lots" though from what I recall, they don't.

3) Here's the thing, I would understand food carts / food stalls not working on residential lots. What I was told on before is that they don't work on any lots. Are they suppose to work on Parks / National Parks? I would expect them to in theory but there's several things that one might expect to work a certain way in theory regarding this game that don't work as well as one would hope. Will have to test it in game as I already tested the "yoga studio" (which works great for the most part). I think I am going to upload the "yoga studio" as a standalone room as well.

4) Simply mean that this is going to be a 40x30 lot. I don't see a way of getting it on a 30x20 with what I want to do.
    I have it on "Rippling Flats" at the moment which is in Newcrest and I am not sure I want to leave it there. Thinking scenery and stuff. I had also considered "Midtown Meadows" in Newcrest. Low-key wishing we had a few other blank worlds besides Newcrest that had different scenery.

I am working on a series of "commercial" lots that will mostly be on 40x30 and 30x20 lots. (I did a larger version of Seagrave Park on the 50x40 as a challenge to myself.) I will probably do most of them in Newcrest though I am planning on doing at least two in other vacant lots on other "worlds" in the game.

Thanks for the input, @Auroraskies.

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited May 2021
    @ghamrick75
    1. In my personal opinion, which is affected by my own reference frame of course, space needed around objects is based on balance and the rule of the bigger the object the bigger the space around it, adding that rules are meant to be broken because chocking the eyes makes the viewed item interesting; and something that is intuitively seen while building because it is a personal preference. That is why it is so hard to advice someone else. I think given the large lot I would balance the pool, because the colour of the water will be different of the grass if you keep it grass-loking, so at last two tiles (blocks) of flooring around the pool. I would use flooring, not terrain (except for a natural pool), because the pool rim cuts off from the grass anyway. Routing is not affected by flooring; sims usually just need half a tile to move around objects, but testing is necessary always. I would not place a large object close to the borders of the lot, mostly for balance, not routing, as the sims can move freely in the world around it.

2. Thank you for the correct spelling of aesthetical.
    I am not sure about this, but I think sims can enter a lot from many different sides of it, and that they will choose the path and starting point more based on where the object is that they are aiming at, driven by their AI. Certain lots/places in world have a point where your sims end up if traveling to them, and since I always build for a particular place in the world I test that first, and then build according to their entrance point. With Rippling Flats that seems to be the street side of the lot.
    When I want sims to stay on a particular small path, like a two-tile broad walkway, I build a fence/wall around it, choosing a fence type they will not walk through, or place enough of the unroutable items close enough to each other along the path. TS4 is very good at letting sims route around objects, they only need a very small space to come through, and they will always choose the best route to where they are headed. To answer you question: they will not stay on the path unless you take efforts to hinder them. I am very impressed with this game, it is so fluid, routing errors are mostly the builder's fault.

3. I don't know how to answer you question: in my experience they do work, but you have to pay for the server sim /stall vendor to show up. Testing is always necessary.

4. I have usually the opposite problem, I never know what to put on the big lots, but prefer 20X15, but yes, I wouldn't mind a few more worlds. I would want them to have some personality though, and not be Newcrest 2.
    Current WIP

2mBRELj.png
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    edited May 2021
    Your Asian themed WIP is looking very nice! @Neashaleigh :) The Asian style roofing looks great! The way you have done the left and right areas steps is very nice! Very pretty area with the red maple tree and flowers.
    Thanks @rosemow <3
    I hadn't originally planned to make it Asian themed, but I quite like that wall style so I'll continue the theme throughout.
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top