Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer help

Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
I tired to download Windows Movie Maker on my laptop , and now whenever I go on the internet i'm spammed with 500000 pop ups. Its horribly annoying , and the pop up blocker isn't doing anything. Does anyone know what I should do?
"Clearly , I have made some bad decisions."

Comments

• cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    make a video of it
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
    make a video of it

:|
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Are you using Chrome for your browser? I've had my ad blocker quit working a couple times with Chrome. I just uninstall it and then reinstall it again and it works fine again.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited January 2015
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling your adblock. ;)

Also, I suggest Opera browser if you don't use it.
    http://www.opera.com
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I tired to download Windows Movie Maker on my laptop , and now whenever I go on the internet i'm spammed with 500000 pop ups. Its horribly annoying , and the pop up blocker isn't doing anything. Does anyone know what I should do?

If the ads are from the same place, it is possible you downloaded a viral file as well. If you have an anti-virus software, you can run it to see if something is found. Unfortunately, many sites that offer free downloads also have spam bots, viruses, and worse that are downloaded along with the promised software.
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Your browser probably got hijacked by some adware stuff that often comes with free downloads. How many times I fixed my dad's PC because he never reads installation options :s
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • HeartfulPeachHeartfulPeach Posts: 857 Member
    make a video of it

I second that. With a catchy electronic tune or the sort.
    317chzb.jpg
    A big thanks to SimChic1 for making my simself in my avatar!
    Princess Peach Rocks!
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Surely you downloaded Windows Movie Maker direct from Microsoft - ie not some other place?
  • Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
    plopppo wrote: »
    Surely you downloaded Windows Movie Maker direct from Microsoft - ie not some other place?

Mr.Norton Security had a green check mark next to the site , so I downloaded it. I don't recall whether the name was actually Microsoft or not. This was in October.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2015
    Considering you don't know if you actually downloaded the MS Windows Movie Maker from MS or not (which should have been included in MS Essentials on your lap top direct from MS) I'm going to guess you have no idea if you have a firewall and or a Anti virus program in your PC either? right? I don't know why you would even go to a website and download the MM when in all new laptops since about five years ago they are included in the Windows Essentials (pre installed bloatwear) in all machines this day and time.

I suggest first you install a paid Virus/Firewall Protection Program....for around $50 you can buy internet security which will cover up to 3 PCs and includes 'network protection', Free antivirus rarely catches viruses and most don't have any real time protection.

Before you restore your PC to a previous day to fix your problem run a virus/adware/malware program (buy one) and never trust 'free'.

ETA: sorry if this all sounds harsh, it's a fault of mine, I have little sympathy for people who don't do security first before they install games, or go to a website etc. It's just me, a pet peeve of mine. I couldn't stress this enough for my family in the past, so sorry you get the brunt of it.

Or those who don't make those backup discs and boot discs before playing their games and or going all over the internet without even looking at what they need to do first. (My family...lol).

Also, Go into your Manage Add Ons in your Internet Options and turn off some add ons that may have snuck in while you were allowing things to be installed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Norton is a top of the line security software. Seriously, it'🐸🐸🐸🐸&D is the best. @Thebookthief24 -- Run Norton full scan. If you have only the limited free, preloaded version, try going to Symantec website and run a scan from their site. If Norton does not find a virus or spam bot, then it could be anchored in your cookies. I suggest clearing your cache. You can also go to your file search and check the dates of the download for any tag-alongs that may have downloaded at the same time as the MS software.