Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Hired Help

I had a wedding in my game yesterday and decided to go all out and hire a caterer, mixologist and musician. I'd downloaded a beautiful venue from the gallery that provided everything they'd need.

However, when the party started, I noticed two of the hired helpers were not doing their jobs! The caterer was busy watching TV with some of the guests (those guests will not be invited to another party! Rude.)

I thought, at least the mixologist is doing well! Then I realised the person serving at the bar was not my hired mixologist, just someone off the street :confused: They deserve a medal.

Thank goodness for the musician! She was wonderful and played for the entire party without stopping.

I'm not sure if there is a bug with the hired helpers, but if there isn't (and they're just performing badly) we should have the option to dock their pay or demand a refund! I hired a mixologist and caterer who did nothing for the entire party!
tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I had a wedding in my game yesterday and decided to go all out and hire a caterer, mixologist and musician. I'd downloaded a beautiful venue from the gallery that provided everything they'd need.

However, when the party started, I noticed two of the hired helpers were not doing their jobs! The caterer was busy watching TV with some of the guests (those guests will not be invited to another party! Rude.)

I thought, at least the mixologist is doing well! Then I realised the person serving at the bar was not my hired mixologist, just someone off the street :confused: They deserve a medal.

Thank goodness for the musician! She was wonderful and played for the entire party without stopping.

I'm not sure if there is a bug with the hired helpers, but if there isn't (and they're just performing badly) we should have the option to dock their pay or demand a refund! I hired a mixologist and caterer who did nothing for the entire party!

It would have been better for players if the hired help in this game had been coded to be actual NPCs who came to do their jobs, and get out. The way they have done it this time is so frustrating. Bartenders who have no skills, who are just other Sims who don't know their jobs. They should be doing their jobs and not socializing unless 'my' Sim under 'my' control interrupts them. This never happened in the TS2 because the coding was different. Why is this game so subpar ten years later? I don't know who thought it was a 'good' idea to make all the hired help just homeless townies and or even other townies living in the houses just someone who can fill in when no one else with skills are available....but I have to say to them 'wrong', this is one of the worst ideas about the TS4. Looks good on paper, horrible for gameplay for the player.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    I know! But to be honest, I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if they actually are meant to be like that. My musician did her job just fine. I don't know if they're actually meant to perform badly/shirk their duties, or if it's just a glitch in the game.

I think if we're hiring other townies we should be able to see how skilled they are. For example, if they have a low mixology skill we can hire them for less money, but they won't perform very well.
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    I know! But to be honest, I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if they actually are meant to be like that. My musician did her job just fine. I don't know if they're actually meant to perform badly/shirk their duties, or if it's just a glitch in the game.

I think if we're hiring other townies we should be able to see how skilled they are. For example, if they have a low mixology skill we can hire them for less money, but they won't perform very well.

That's an excellent idea. Get what you pay for...yes. I've solved the problem by hiring sims I know. (I play a rotational style and have 18 different active households in my game. I know which sims have the necessary skills.) Your idea would be extremely helpful for others who don't have a lot of their own sims to choose from.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

No it's not on purpose. It is due to their emotions. They will stop whatever they are doing to go fill that 'hug somebody' or whatever whims they have due to their happy emotions etc. Where as an NPC's emotions should be static and they should keep doing their jobs no matter what unless like they always did in the other games. They should be immune to the whims and emotions controlling them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • camilleone22camilleone22 Posts: 166 Member

Consider yourself lucky that the musician was good, every time I've hired one they've been terrible! Like listening to a toddler play the piano. I really wish that when you hire someone for a party they were good at their hired job!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

That's an excellent idea. Get what you pay for...yes. I've solved the problem by hiring sims I know. (I play a rotational style and have 18 different active households in my game. I know which sims have the necessary skills.) Your idea would be extremely helpful for others who don't have a lot of their own sims to choose from.

This is what I do.. hire sims I know are good (and sims that have stable personalities). I see that list of faces and chose accordingly. I see it as a game within a game.. you just have to figure out how to win at that part.
    egTcBMc.png
  • KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    In a similar fashion every time I go into a bar the first thing I do is shift-click on the Mixologist and cheat his/her skill level to 7 or 8, just to avoid the farce of dropped bottles and a 2 hour wait for your drink. Still can't get more than 1 drink out of them, ordering for the group just doesn't work! :s