Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please Help! Just shows numbers instead of text etc!

Ok, so this has been going on for a while, even after I installed the latest patch.

My game just shows number sinstead of text in CAS, the loading screen, and now when I try to use the pool system and the new jobs.

This is a picture of what I mean:
9ibr53.png

If it helps, I do have CC installed, but it didn't effect my game play at all until I started installing new patches.

If someone could please help me with this, I would be forever grateful.

Also, have a fantastic Christmas everyone!!

Love,

WhoDatWhoDat.

Comments

• SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    The only way to fix this for now is to uninstall & reinstall the game. The devs are aware of it & are working on a fix.
  • WhoDatWhoDatWhoDatWhoDat Posts: 118 Member
    The only way to fix this for now is to uninstall & reinstall the game. The devs are aware of it & are working on a fix.

Oh, ok. If it needs to be done, so be it but thank you very much for helping me out especially on Christmas Day! I hope you had a splendid time. :) x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
  • ZeroFishZeroFish Posts: 6 New Member
    edited January 2015
    Okay, so I was just on chat to customer support who were telling me to redownload the game.

The way it works is it reads strings (text) from a file called "Strings_ENG_US.package" (would be different if it was another language) and the way this is done is the game uses hexidecimal pointers instead of text. Why? Because a language file is much more portable and easier to update than an entire executable file, and they would need to recompile the whole game again for every single language.

Hexidecimal is a base 16 numeric number. So unlike our base 10 counting system (0, 1, 2 ,3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ,7 ,8 ,9) you have (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D ,E, F).

So the game points to this language file and looks for entry "4271A1A2" which should have "Business" assosiated to it, but it doesn't. So the game puts in the pointer instead of the text, making it *** 4271A1A2 ***

Enough about that though, you probably just want to know how to fix it! Onwards!

I have a degree in Computer Games Development so I'll be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if I'm redownloading a 9GB game for an 800KB language file!
    So I continued to try and find a way to get this file to download! Asking support if they could just send me the file. They said they couldn't and the only way to fix this was to redownload the game. So I persisted and persisted and finally found a way to force an update on ANY Origin game! Which finally downloaded the right file!! So this is how you do it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[*]Open up Origin and click on "Origin" at the top left

[*]Click on "Application Settings"

[*]Click on "Advanced"

[*]Take a note of the text inside the box under "Your games will be installed to the following location:"

[*]Close Origin (Click on "Origin" again and click "Exit")

[*]Now we need to navigate to this folder! Open My Computer (Start > Computer) and go to the folder that was in the box.

[*]Click on "The Sims 4" folder and press F2 on Keyboard

[*]Rename the folder to "The Sims 4 Backup". Keep this folder open as we will need it again! (If this doesn't work, log out of Windows and log back in again and try again)

[*]Open Origin again

[*]Origin should think Sims 4 is not installed! This is normal. Click on Sims 4 and click Download. Accept all the popups asking language ect.

[*]The game should now say "Downloading: 0%". At this point, close Origin again (Click Origin > Exit)

[*]Go back to the installation folder and DELETE the new folder that says "The Sims 4"

[*]Click on "The Sims 4 Backup" and press F2. Rename this to "The Sims 4"

[*]Open Origin again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, Origin will think it has downloaded all the files BUT there has been an update since it did! So it will download the update!

Sorry, I had images but apparantly I've not been "Around long enough" to post them!

Happy Siming!
  • SAGG1SAGG1 Posts: 27 Member
    Sorry, but no good. I've tried this several times, and it ain't working. :\ Got anything else??
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    SAGG1 wrote: »
    Sorry, but no good. I've tried this several times, and it ain't working. :\ Got anything else??

sorry what isnt working?
    ZeroFish's advice. I tried it several times, and it simply didn't work.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ZeroFish's advice. I tried it several times, and it simply didn't work.

ok have you tried reinstalling the game
    Yes, and this I also have done several times.
    Is there something else I can do to get rid of those annoying symbols? Anybody?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2015
    Is there something else I can do to get rid of those annoying symbols? Anybody?

If reinstalling doesn't help, it might be being caused by an old mod (I forget which one was doing this). Try pulling mods out.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Okay, but wow, I have a LOT of them. I wouldn't know where to start...
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Okay, but wow, I have a LOT of them. I wouldn't know where to start...

Pull them *all* out. Put them back in half at a time. I'd suggest sorting them by filedate first - start with the older half, as it's more likely to be conflicting with newer game code. If it's all good, half again. When you hit a problem, pull half back out. Etc. It's a faster system than one at a time.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Ah, I've done THAT before. Thank you! :)
    FOUND IT!! It was the mod that changed woo-hoo to 🐸🐸🐸🐸! *However*, I found the solution from another site, and didn't have to go through all my mods! Thank you luthienrising for the advice, and to everyone else here, thank you as well for your advice!

(Skips off happily) Da-dee-dum-dee-dee-dum... :)