Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CLOSED: Reduce UK/Euro price of first GP 01/2015

Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
edited January 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Edit: The released price of the Game Pack in GBP is now £15. Still more than $20, but it's a massive saving compared to the £20.

I am sure most of you are aware of the upcoming 'Game Pack' confirmed for released at an unspeified time during Janurary 2015.
It has been confirmed to cost $19.99, however, on the news page it is being shown that the cost is £19.99.

This is moderately disheartening to me, as a UK player. For a pack which would, under standard conversion rates, cost around £12, we are being charged nearly $31 for this. I am not sure how the pricing has been set elsewhere.

There has seemingly been no word as to why this pricing is so, but some official word would be better than nothing at this stage. It is quite outrageous treatment of non-US consumers. This isn't the first time that DLC prices have not been true to general conversion rates, but it is the first that I can recall where the conversion has been so significantly reduced. For example, with a more recent DLC package released for an EA game: 'Omega' for Mass Effect 3 costs $14.99 and £11.99. This doesn't follow proper conversion either, but it's still 3.00 cheaper (about 20%).

Will we have to expect to pay the same way for upcoming expansion packs? $40/£40? Supposing there will be any.

Even 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Turpin wore a mask
The censored word is supposed to be the short for Richard, which is a name so... I can't be blamed for an over sensitive censor.
Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
Post edited by Biotic_Warlock on

Comments

• joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Has this been confirmed as the price yet or is it just an error? Maybe whoever changed it to £ did't think about the exchange rate.

I am in Australia, so goodness knows what we will be paying for it.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    If you are lucky it would also be 20 of your dollars ;)

It's been nearly two days since the announcement of the new pack and no statement seems to have been given so far about the pricing. Of course the gurus chose a good time to both announce the new pack and go on vacation, so it is likely we will not hear anything until New Years... Maybe later.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I do hope it will be 20 Australian dollars, but in reality it will probably be at least $5 on top of that.

I am really thinking that this is an error with the UK pricing. Probably done in a hurry and no-one has re-checked it before rushing off to the office Christmas Party.

If not an error, that's a big rip-off.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
    As long as it was an error, then I'll be happy.
    Bit weird how nobody apart from in the U.S./UK has had 'confirmed' prices.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'm not sure if it's a mistake, but I did think the UK price seems high, and it's strange it is the same number as the US price. O.o

We don't have the full details yet, so I can't judge whether or not it is 'worth' twenty pounds. It does feel expensive to me though. I do like to have a lot of content, and may well want much of what is being released for TS4. However, £20 each time would be way too much for me. I think if the packs were 10-15 pounds I could probably talk myself into it more easily.

I just checked a currency converter that equated $20 with £12.80. That sounds a much more reasonable amount to me. I do hope it is a mistake.

Like the OP points out, it would be like asking US simmers to pay $31 for the pack. :s
  • UtopiaUtopia Posts: 164 Member
    edited December 2014
    It doesn't bode well for UK expansion prices. I'm not going up any more on those, they are high enough already. We pay so much more than US players as it is!

Funny thing is it's digital so there are no shipping fees or discs, cases, manuals. It should be cheaper.
    Mysticalmaid
    <3 Tweet me @samwitts2 <3
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    This wouldn't be the first time someone came up with a dollar value and instead of converting it to another country's currency equivalent they just changed the symbol. If I were a betting girl I'd wager the price will be $19.99 and whatever that converts to in Pounds and Australian/Canadian dollars.
    As written above, it's digital, bought from the same place, so the usual and customary conversion amounts really should apply.

Hahaha the nickname for Richard got plumbed out? I had the same luck with the first word for cyberMonday where it stands alone.

I mean it's a real word, and although it used to mean .... well, who does that any more?
  • erieseeeriesee Posts: 4 New Member
    I suspect that UK prices are higher because of taxes imposed by the gov't that are included in the price of the item and not added on like state sales tax is in the USA. Being a photographer, I follow cameras. The same camera usually has the same list price in the UK as in the USA, only UK buyers must pay in pounds while USA buyers pay in US$. Given that the pound is worth more than the US$, UK photographers pay more for their cameras and other gear.
    Eriesee
    edited December 2014
    eriesee wrote: »
    I suspect that UK prices are higher because of taxes imposed by the gov't that are included in the price of the item and not added on like state sales tax is in the USA. Being a photographer, I follow cameras. The same camera usually has the same list price in the UK as in the USA, only UK buyers must pay in pounds while USA buyers pay in US$. Given that the pound is worth more than the US$, UK photographers pay more for their cameras and other gear.<br />
    Eriesee

It's definitely not just due (or possibly at all) to taxes.
    When TS4 was initially sold, it was only £38 for the limited edition.
    Also we are talking about digital content and not shipped goods.
    edited December 2014
    Bump:
    Added Euro to topic.
    European players being asked to pay approx. $30 (25€)
    Edit: or apparently 20€ in Germany. Will get a source link to confirm which was correct.
    Post edited by Biotic_Warlock on
  • horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited December 2014
    Bumping this. I for one am not at all happy about being expected to pay $31 for it. Guess I'll be waiting until there's a sale before I pick it up. And if this the shape of things to come for UK simmers, then I guess I'll be doing that for all of their content.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • pandabearrox6pandabearrox6 Posts: 63 Member
    This THREAD has my SUPPORT!! Stop abusing your customers overseas!!
  • pandabearrox6pandabearrox6 Posts: 63 Member
    This THREAD has my SUPPORT!! Stop abusing your customers overseas!!
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    @Kelly_Blake

(I don't have the "Pound" symbol)-- so 38 is exactly, as converted, what I paid for TS4 Limited Edition as a Data-DVD from the brick-and-mortar retailer. About 59 bucks. (calculates to $58.xx on the Currency Converter which isn't even the consumer-level exchange rate)

The state taxes were calculated and charged separately.

I'm still hoping the 20 pounds, 20 dollars 20 Euros is just a cut 'N' paste oversight.

So... I believe they (the seller) must itemize the cost of the product separately from any taxes they may be collecting for the destination (buyer's) country.
    Internet sales within the USA are not taxable except where a seller has a physical presence in the buyer's state and that state has a sales tax. --The government has been trying to close that loophole since 2002 with no luck so far.-- I don't see where merchants even can collect taxes due another country. I had thought reporting and paying VATs, duties and all that rested with the buyer.

And that this would be a downloaded product makes the much-higher charge even less understandable.

At any rate, I support this thread and am seriously considering not buying EPs or other enhanced Sim paraphernalia until they can justify this steep price differential to their customers in England, Australia, and the Euro community-- actually anyone abroad who stands to get hosed on the sales price.

I advocate a No Fleecing Policy in the Sim sister-and-brotherhood.