Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you guys think of New Zealand?

Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member
Hi, I live in New Zealand (obviously) and I was just wondering what other people from around the world think of the country that I live in. So what's made NZ famous enough to be known by you, whether it's good or bad, or if you somehow didn't know New Zealand existed until now.
My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)

Comments

• LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Hi, I live in New Zealand (obviously) and I was just wondering what other people from around the world think of the country that I live in. So what's made NZ famous enough to be known by you, whether it's good or bad, or if you somehow didn't know New Zealand existed until now.

It's near Australia.
  • Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »

It's near Australia.

I thought someone would say that.

• MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    I've never been there but from what I have seen in pictures and such it looks beautiful! How do you feel about living in New Zealand?
    Mandylcd wrote: »
    I've never been there but from what I have seen in pictures and such it looks beautiful! How do you feel about living in New Zealand?

Kinda trying to answer from the top of my head but it's a pretty nice place to live, I guess. Things are more expensive though, but it sort of depends on where you live there.

edited December 2014
    Oh yeah, some people might know New Zealand for things like Lorde, the Hobbit films, Sir Edmund Hillary, and it was the first country where woman had the right to vote.

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I had a friend from New Zealand many years ago, they moved a lot because of her dad's work, so I went to school with her here in Canada for a little bit. So I found out about it from her. I don't remember much about it tbh, that was probably a good 15 years ago and we really didn't learn about it so almost everything I have learned was what I learned back then so most of it has faded out of my incredibly poor memory. I remember her saying the education system was more advanced than ours, idk if it's true or not, but that's about all I remember about it. I do know it's a very beautiful country though, I want to visit it so bad. I've seen it a bit online and on TV and it's just so beautiful.
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    I had a friend from New Zealand many years ago, they moved a lot because of her dad's work, so I went to school with her here in Canada for a little bit. So I found out about it from her. I don't remember much about it tbh, that was probably a good 15 years ago and we really didn't learn about it so almost everything I have learned was what I learned back then so most of it has faded out of my incredibly poor memory. I remember her saying the education system was more advanced than ours, idk if it's true or not, but that's about all I remember about it. I do know it's a very beautiful country though, I want to visit it so bad. I've seen it a bit online and on TV and it's just so beautiful.

Yeah, I think the education system is pretty good there. I would know, since I still go to school.

Yeah, I think the education system is pretty good there. I would know, since I still go to school.

I would have loved to have great education.
    Instead I got a teacher who let her students throw eggs and water bottles across the room.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'd love to go spend a summer there for June,July and August and get to see winter in the monthes I usually have summer.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg

Instead I got a teacher who let her students throw eggs and water bottles across the room.

Some teachers are better than others...

Well, most of the teachers in my school were stoners.
    They either didn't know what they were doing, or were pretty chill.
    Y'all should come over here and teach us.
    edited December 2014
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I'd love to go spend a summer there for June,July and August and get to see winter in the monthes I usually have summer.

Right now, it's summer time. It goes summer from December to February, autumn (fall) from March to May, winter from June to August, and spring from September to November. So basically the complete opposite from America.

Ours is supposed to be pretty good too, I think it's pretty crappy though, especially when you get to high school it all falls apart. I never really saw it until I got out though and tried to seek education through a different system and was like "woah so this is what an education is, I like this. This learning thing, it's cool". I kind of envy you guys if your education is better, and I don't really doubt that it is (of course it's not hard imo).

Sounds like a lot of my teachers. It's really very sad.

Not to mention the security ...
    There was a hobo that walked into the high school I went to because he heard there was going to be a fight.

He was caught quickly but ... he was able to get in.

There was a hobo that walked into the high school I went to because he heard there was going to be a fight.

I remember a few weeks ago some guy came wandering into a primary (elementary) school with a shotgun and the entire area was on lockdown for about an hour. He was only a bit drunk coming back from hunting and no one was hurt luckily...

Ours was better than that. I remember once somebody suspected they saw somebody with a gun at the bus stop, every school in the area was on lockdown immediately. I knew people who were out of the school with their class and they couldn't even get back in. We were on lockdown for like an hour until the area was cleared. Now I mean on the average day anybody could walk in, but if they had any hint of a threat they were on it. Sadly, sometimes they missed something, somebody made it to the office of my jr.high with a gun (I wasn't there then though), no harm done but it does prove people can make it in, but it's rare if anything most of the time they over-react (but I'd rather it that way than not doing enough).
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I have heard that New Zealand has got some beautiful landscapes. I have seen some photos too and am impressed. I also think NZ is famous for its beef.
    I plan to visit some day, if I can.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    I have grown up knowing about New Zealand but the thing I like best would be the Footrot Flats stories. And there is the ANZAC tradition. And Kiwis of course. I've never actually been to New Zealand but I know lots of people from there.
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I think NZ is beautiful, though have never been lucky enough to have visited.

I have learned of it through TV -
    specifically 2 TV shows.
    Xena: warrior princess and
    Hercules: the legendary journeys.
    (earlier this year, I finally finished collecting those two series on DVD.)

Watched it every week, during the times it first aired - When my kids were tiny.
    Funny memories/good times.

I'd love to visit /vacation there, someday! : )
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    I think New Zealand looks amazing in the Lord Of The Rings movies. I would love to visit there sometime.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    It looks pretty in pictures.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    I'd love to go to New Zealand, I think it's a beautiful country and I love the accents.
    I'm a huge fan of The Blackcaps and All Blacks.
    It's a shame I'll never have the money or opportunity to go because it's one of the countries I'd love to visit.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I once had a penpal from New Zealand. All I know is that there are jumping spiders somewhere down there so I don't wanna go there.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    edited December 2014
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I once had a penpal from New Zealand. All I know is that there are jumping spiders somewhere down there so I don't wanna go there.

Yeah I had a dream to go to Australia and then I saw a facebook post about all the things that live there that have one purpose: to kill off mankind. More than half of them were spiders. :o

And given that NZ is fairly close by it's easy enough to assume those spiders can likely just leap over the 500 miles or so of Ocean. No thanks.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.