Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW: ASK A SIMGURU – 11AM TO 12 NOON PST TUESDAYS

SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
Hi all

Please note that we are running the "Ask a SimGuru" sessions once a week from now on, every Tuesday. We have closed the old "Ask a SimGuru" thread and this is the new place where they will be taking place.

FYI - we will also be taking a break over the holiday season. Here are the new dates:

Tuesday December 16th - last usual session of the year
Tuesday December 23rd - on break
Tuesday December 30th - on break
Tuesday January 6th - on break
Tuesday January 13th - usual sessions recommence

The Rules

1. Please read the thread before asking a question. We can answer more questions if we don't have to answer the same ones over and over.
2. Please be constructive.
3. Respect your fellow Simmers.
4. We will try to answer all your questions, but there are a lot more of you than us
5. We can try to answer bug questions and pass on bugs you find, but the better place to report bugs and issues is here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs

IMPORTANT: The Gurus (none of us) cannot discuss future content. That includes what we're making, when we're making it, whether it'll be a patch, paid content. We just can't. We'll tell you as soon as we're able. If you ask about future content, the answer will always be "No comment."

Look forward to chatting with everyone on Tuesday.
SimGuruBChick
Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
Post edited by SimGuruBChick on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    We are OPEN!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    This is my first Ask a Simguru . I’ve posted in a similar thing before but it was on Gaiaonline. Asks sessions are always a great thing, so I was surprised finding out Sims forums had one. Anyway I just purchased my digital copy of Sims 4 a couple weeks ago and although I am content with the game not to refund it, there are quite a few features I would like included with the base game in order to be happy with the game. I’ve been playing the Sims games for almost 15 years now and the family aspect of the Sims has always been important to me.

I know you can’t talk about future content, but could the following features be included into the Sims 4 base game? I would love to have family trees, toddlers, story progression, working genetics, and dishwashers patched into the base game like the past few patches we have been getting. It would be really cool if future EPs had genetics that allowed supernatural abilities to be passed on to offspring and the mixture of multiple supernaturals could be possible. Thank you for your time. If you are worries about funding these changes, I’m sure there is plenty of DLC items that could be sold again like how much DLC that got sold with the Sims 3.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimGuruAzureSimGuruAzure Posts: 119 SimGuru
    Scobre wrote: »
    This is my first Ask a Simguru . I’ve posted in a similar thing before but it was on Gaiaonline. Asks sessions are always a great thing, so I was surprised finding out Sims forums had one. Anyway I just purchased my digital copy of Sims 4 a couple weeks ago and although I am content with the game not to refund it, there are quite a few features I would like included with the base game in order to be happy with the game. I’ve been playing the Sims games for almost 15 years now and the family aspect of the Sims has always been important to me.

I know you can’t talk about future content, but could the following features be included into the Sims 4 base game? I would love to have family trees, toddlers, story progression, working genetics, and dishwashers patched into the base game like the past few patches we have been getting. It would be really cool if future EPs had genetics that allowed supernatural abilities to be passed on to offspring and the mixture of multiple supernaturals could be possible. Thank you for your time. If you are worries about funding these changes, I’m sure there is plenty of DLC items that could be sold again like how much DLC that got sold with the Sims 3.

As you mentioned, we can't make promises about future content but you're definitely not alone in the things you would like to see in the game. Family trees, toddlers, story progression, and dishwashers are some of the biggest asks we see on the forums and we're keeping track of the things you you guys are asking for. You're other ideas around genetics are really interesting as well. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I haven't checked out everything in the new patch yet, but I want to say a hearty thank-you!

My sims can now eat the vegetables from their garden; they don't have to make enemies of their best friends in order to complete the "Friend of the World" aspiration; and the young adult sims in my legacy will no longer marry people who are 3 days away from becoming an elder because now they can see their age under their name.

All this plus a Christmas tree and 3 new sweaters!
  • pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
    Wow. Seriously, WOW.
    The number of things added exceeded expectations. Then I looked at all the changes and bug fixes. Holy cow !

It's a very impressive patch, and I'm looking forward to getting to my computer and sinking my teeth in.

I didn't see maids mentioned in the patch notes, so I have to ask about that. Are they still showing up and milling about ?
    If so, I'm genuinely interested in knowing what's causing the flakey service. What is the conflict keeping our trusty house keepers from providing us with the legendary service Sim Maids are known for ?

Also, thank you for the Christmas content !
    Very very much appreciated. Happy Holidays !
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I haven't checked out everything in the new patch yet, but I want to say a hearty thank-you!

My sims can now eat the vegetables from their garden; they don't have to make enemies of their best friends in order to complete the "Friend of the World" aspiration; and the young adult sims in my legacy will no longer marry people who are 3 days away from becoming an elder because now they can see their age under their name.

All this plus a Christmas tree and 3 new sweaters!

Yay! Hope you have fun with the new changes and holiday stuff. ^_^
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I'm not where I can access the game right now, but I wanted to say that the patch notes are interesting and I'm very happy about some things that were addressed (eating fruits and veggies, teens identified, time off from work, maternity leave, to name a few).

I'm less happy about other things I read (dumbing down of career and aspiration objectives), particularly since I'm in the middle of a legacy and have no intention of starting over just because you changed the rules, so to speak. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. I'll have to wait until I get into my game, I guess.

I'm disappointed that culling, protecting particular Sims from culling, and the max pop, were not addressed further. Maybe you're still looking at it.

It's obvious a lot of work went into this patch, and I thank you all for your hard work. It's impossible to please all the people all the time, so it's important to me that you know how much I like the game and how much I appreciate your efforts.
  • EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    Hi,

Looking about how to mod the sims 4, I had been wondering. Don't you have tools to create careers, trait and such ? Wouldn't it be possible to make these tools available ?

Or a more precise documentation, at least.

Tanks.

Eowyn.
  • SimGuruDanielSimGuruDaniel Posts: 220 SimGuru
    TheNest wrote: »
    This will be a very long read for you Gurus, but it emphasizes many of the issues the community has with TS4, after it being on the market for 3 months. And also note that was pre-written up prior to today's patch, so some things may not be applicable.

I think I may have missed some concerns about the game that the community have brought up, but they would have said so already. I also apologize if this appears to be a mess to read, but the concerns of this game are significant and have to be dealt with.

We appreciate hearing your concerns. As today's patch notes hopefully show, we are working hard to improve the game and address concerns like yours.

I can definitely understand the frustration around the lack of information on future plans. I can't comment on specifics, but it is something we are discussing internally (what do we announce, and when).

pezhead7 wrote: »
    Wow. Seriously, WOW.
    The number of things added exceeded expectations. Then I looked at all the changes and bug fixes. Holy cow !

It's a very impressive patch, and I'm looking forward to getting to my computer and sinking my teeth in.

I didn't see maids mentioned in the patch notes, so I have to ask about that. Are they still showing up and milling about ?
    If so, I'm genuinely interested in knowing what's causing the flakey service. What is the conflict keeping our trusty house keepers from providing us with the legendary service Sim Maids are known for ?

Also, thank you for the Christmas content !
    Very very much appreciated. Happy Holidays !

We're aware of some issues with Maids. I'm not super close to that part of the game so I can't give you specifics but it is something we're looking into.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

As you mentioned, we can't make promises about future content but you're definitely not alone in the things you would like to see in the game. Family trees, toddlers, story progression, and dishwashers are some of the biggest asks we see on the forums and we're keeping track of the things you you guys are asking for. You're other ideas around genetics are really interesting as well. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!
    Thank you. It just feels like the Sims are introverts right now and I think part of that is the exclusion of family play into the game. I mean I can do a ton of stuff with my Sims alone, but Sims interacting with each other seems like it's lacking a lot. I want to do more activities with Sims together other than just talking. In Sims 2, the insiminator mod allowed me to do the multiple genetics, so I was able to combine an alien, zombie, vampire, and something else together. It just seems like it would be fun to do with offspring for the Sims 4.

I think there other main issue of the game are the maps. I would love to see a bird's eye view of the map like I could with Sims 1, 2, and 3. The lots already feel too small and can't even fit everything I want it to which is bad considering it is a base game and more items will be added later with EPs. Lack of community lots and NPCs bothers me too. The world just feels really tiny. Could the neighborhoods and lots be expanded a bit? But thank you for bringing rotational gameplay back and making it easy to visit other neighborhoods.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Hi there! With the new update, I noticed a change in the lighting exterior and interior. Could you confirm this? Even the interior lighting seems better!
  • feelyourbonesfeelyourbones Posts: 9 New Member
    One thing that has annoyed me is the fact there are no subsets with build/buy mode. Will there be subsets? That's the one thing I really missed from TS2.

So far I really love this game & it's a huge improvement from the past two games, but there are some things I do miss (like subsets, the way you can view & edit your world, toddlers of course etc.)
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Do you have any plans on adding family gameplay to the game? It feels so empty without it.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    @SimGuruDaniel, you look very dapper in your new holiday sweater ;-)
    Hi,

Looking about how to mod the sims 4, I had been wondering. Don't you have tools to create careers, trait and such ? Wouldn't it be possible to make these tools available ?

Or a more precise documentation, at least.

Tanks.

Eowyn.

We do have internal tools that we use to make the game and it's not unprecedented for Maxis to make those tools available (an example would be Create a World for The Sims 3). It does take a certain amount of work to make tools like that user friendly and ready for you guys though and right now we're mainly focused on improving gameplay and broadening the play experience. Never say never though!
    MsPhy wrote: »
    I'm not where I can access the game right now, but I wanted to say that the patch notes are interesting and I'm very happy about some things that were addressed (eating fruits and veggies, teens identified, time off from work, maternity leave, to name a few).

I'm less happy about other things I read (dumbing down of career and aspiration objectives), particularly since I'm in the middle of a legacy and have no intention of starting over just because you changed the rules, so to speak. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. I'll have to wait until I get into my game, I guess.

I'm disappointed that culling, protecting particular Sims from culling, and the max pop, were not addressed further. Maybe you're still looking at it.

It's obvious a lot of work went into this patch, and I thank you all for your hard work. It's impossible to please all the people all the time, so it's important to me that you know how much I like the game and how much I appreciate your efforts.

Good to hear! We were concerned about changing Career and Aspiration goals mid-game for players, but felt it was important to try to address the feedback we'd been getting about them being too specific and too repetitive. The game already had other systems (e.g., Whims) to offer specific objectives. Give it a play and let us know what you think.

It's hard to fix every issue in one patch. Keep letting us know what you're having trouble with, and we'll do our best to get to it.
  • pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
    I can definitely understand the frustration around the lack of information on future plans. I can't comment on specifics, but it is something we are discussing internally (what do we announce, and when).

I'll be honest, I look forward to the guru Q&A every week.
    But some weeks, I look forward to it just because it feels like an event.
    Rarely are you allowed to tell us anything new (heck, most of the time it reads like a wish list ... might as well ask the players to sit on a gurus lap and tell them what the players wants for Christmas) but I still look forward to it.

I feel like another weekly event or three would help curb the "I need something, anything new !" vibe we're all dealing with.

An announcement about when you'll make an announcement would be enough to help keep the masses satisfied, if only for a little while.

MatheusBS wrote: »
    Hi there! With the new update, I noticed a change in the lighting exterior and interior. Could you confirm this? Even the interior lighting seems better!

We are still looking into lighting issues. I don't believe any lighting updates were included in this patch.
  • azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    Hi!! My first Guru chat - made it within the hour instead at the end and couldn't think what to write!

Thank you! Thank you! to all the ones who contributed and made the decision to do a Holiday pack download!! WE - me - my sis, my Sims all thank you!

Thank you for making the fruits and vegetables edible.. - question? Any chance of actually doing something with the flowers instead of planting them around the house? Like maybe when a Open for Business type of thing comes along they can be used for a Flower arranger business..

Any hint, word, idea, time frame - of when another world will be available to play.. And/ or opening up the current ones some more?

Any more free downloads as like the past 3 months or are you preparing for the new packs and expansions?

I like the notes on the patch updates is it one person or everyone that participates..

Anything you can't answer just nod or blink or wink. somehow.. :)
  • eminerinaeminerina Posts: 32 Member
    After update, one of my sims now has 400% completion of logic skill 1 and another sim has the tech guru career, and is at level 6 in the video gaming skill, but the career achievement says 0/5 :(
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Do you have any plans on adding family gameplay to the game? It feels so empty without it.

We're looking into adding more to do in the home. Is there anything specific you're thinking about?
    MsPhy wrote: »
    @SimGuruDaniel, you look very dapper in your new holiday sweater ;-)

Thanks! It was time to switch out the old ghost avatar. Just realized I missed the boat on the swimwear avatar too!
  • AdrianoFoxAdrianoFox Posts: 47 Member
    The new update is great! I'm a moviemaker and was really looking forward to the moveobjects cheat to be back! Thank you! I just wish we could use the cheat to move the Sims too, is there anyway for you guys to do this in the future?

Oh, and I'm having some issues with the CameraMan mode. When saving two angles sometimes the camera goes from one to another in a 360º rotation, lots os people reported the same on the internet. And the Video Recording system of the game is weird. I don't have any lags while playing the game, but when I start recording videos there are some lags that ruin the video, even when I'm using Uncrompressed quality. In The Sims 3 the Uncompressed mode seems to record in a little slow motion, and it removes all the lag, so the videos end up perfect, even though my Sims 3 used to have some lags while in gameplay.

I hope I've made my issues clear, and hope you guys can look into it! Thanks a lot for this thread and for the great update!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top