Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does your mouse hand get cold?

plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
edited December 2014 in Off Topic Chat
I am right-handed and my mouse (computer mouse) sucks EDIT: s 🐸🐸🐸🐸 s the warmth out of my right-hand in the winter - so my right-hand keeps getting cold.

It only happens when it is cold.

Does anyone one else find this happens to their mouse hand? I'm assuming it isn't just me and that I have something wrong with my hand.

Comments

• Options
    ImNoComedianImNoComedian Posts: 886 Member
    Happening to me too right now
  • Options
    Happening to me too right now
    Great!

I was worried it was just me.
  • Options
    Why is that so?
  • Options
    Why is that so?
    Thread views vs post counts made me worry that the others were unaffected.
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited December 2014
    I thought it was just me.

[edit] That's not actually true. I did think that it might have to do with arthritis and poor circulation, which I don't expect many of you have. I also have, for many years, spent nearly all of my waking hours on the computer, working or playing. I used to get a really achy wrist and have suspects for years that I might be near to getting carpal tunnel syndrome. Therefore, I still assumed I was in the minority with the cold mouse hand.

I now believe that it is almost certainly due to poor circulation, but that it affects a whole lot more people than I realized. Pretty much anybody who spends hours at a time on the computer can get this. Seems like it gets worse if the air in the room is cold.

If your workspace is set up to allow it, try changing the height at which you sit and/or the height and angle of your arm and wrist, or get a mouse pad that supports your wrist without further cutting off the circulation. Just a tiny deviation from a natural, neutral position is probably going to cause some pinching of nerves, and eventually a cold hand.

Sometimes that's not enough, especially if you have circulatory problems from another source, or carpal tunnel syndrome, or something like that. I bought a pair of thin gloves and cut the fingertips out.
  • Options
    I've tried putting my hand in a sock, but I can't control the mouse buttons properly. I certainly can't play games with my hand in a sock.
  • Options
    plopppo wrote: »
    Why is that so?
    Thread views vs post counts made me worry that the others were unaffected.

Maybe they're just shy
    tumblr_m4oxhgMNXB1r2hg8mo1_400.gif

• Options
    plopppo wrote: »
    I've tried putting my hand in a sock, but I can't control the mouse buttons properly. I certainly can't play games with my hand in a sock.
    try hobo gloves
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    I thought it was just me.

[edit] That's not actually true. I did think that it might have to do with arthritis and poor circulation, which I don't expect many of you have. I also have, for many years, spent nearly all of my waking hours on the computer, working or playing. I used to get a really achy wrist and have suspects for years that I might be near to getting carpal tunnel syndrome. Therefore, I still assumed I was in the minority with the cold mouse hand.

I now believe that it is almost certainly due to poor circulation, but that it affects a whole lot more people than I realized. Pretty much anybody who spends hours at a time on the computer can get this. Seems like it gets worse if the air in the room is cold.

Im in the same boat as you though perhaps for a different reason . I have been on computers and/or typewriters ( yes typewriters ) my entire life even in elementary school do to my handwriting .( I have something called essential tremor which causes my hands to shake .)
    One thing you can do to help with circulation in general if you cant actually get up for some reason is sit with your legs to your side stretched out a bit instead of under the desk .
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    I keep a handy stress ball beside my mouse hand, it keeps the blood flowing.
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Hahahaha I was just thinking, "ooh my hand is getting cold" when I saw your topic! Lol!

It obviously happens to me too! Maybe my chair is too low? Or my desk it too high? Or maybe I should turn the heater on? :)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    I punch the wall. It usually does the trick and a bit more
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    That's good to know that I ain't the only one! I don't have a computer chair, since my bed is close enough for me to lay down and play on the computer. Despite having my heart on the same height as my hand, it still gets freezing cold. I don't understand it.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    Yep. When I notice that it is too cold, I put on a glove or sit on my hand for a while or get up and walk around for a bit.
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

• Options
    hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    Lots of good ideas there. My daughter tells me she wears gloves when computing. Guess I should try to find some thin ones. For me it's both hands but I can stick the left hand in a pocket when it gets cold. Do that for the right also at times but I can't stand to stop mousing for very long. Feet get cold too but I sit in a recliner with a lapdesk for my keyboard and mouse. An afghan helps if the room feels very cold. (I keep the heat turned below 70 in winter. Save on heat to spend on computer.)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I don't have that kind of issue though it can get a bit sore if I play sims for too long.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    GemBobMarleyGemBobMarley Posts: 423 Member
    My hand is cold right now :| happens in the summer too, not just when it's cold, but then my feet are always cold whatever the weather, so i guessed I have bad cirulation or something :#
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    ok this is weird.. i was just thinking this and what are the chances someone opens a thread about it..

Anyway i have this all the time.. the hand keeps still and the blood doesnt flow very well to it, so just let it hang down sometimes ;)
  • Options
    AngelofHeavenAngelofHeaven Posts: 43 Member
    Yes my mouse hand does get cold, it's cold as I am typing this :)
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Both of my hands are always cold... :'(
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Oh this happens to me all the time. Especially now. I know it's winter and it's cold out but I need my window open for fresh air. It freezes my hand though.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Hmm. Fingerless gloves might be an idea.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member

Wow, what a great idea! I did not know they made these. I don't have that problem, but if I sit a certain way and put pressure on my elbow, my hand will fall asleep. :p

In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    TillaminTillamin Posts: 14 New Member
    My hand gets cold too and once I ended up putting the heater right next to my hand lol. The heated mouse is an awesome idea!