Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open world=Lag

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    simsace wrote: »
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    Whether you like TS4 or not, that's an opinion.

That from a game development and programming perspective, the engine is dumbed down, and the game failed to properly progress and innovate while taking out many core features from all the previous iterations instead of augmenting them, is a fact.

You are biased. Core features? No.

Actually, you are. Make the list of how many core features were scrapped instead of augmented or innovated. Look at the game from a development perspective and see how much it actually "advanced" and made true to the term "sequel". Then make a list of how many new features were implemented, and how they compare to the milestones accomplished in previous iterations.

Yet you forgive that 3 left off a bunch of core features.....

SIms 3 actually replaced what was removed with more than enough content. Obviously everyone has opinions on what was left out being worth it or not, but the fact of the matter is in terms of how much total content there was, 3 clearly had more than 2. Yet sims 4 clearly has a lot less to offer than 3.

Content doesn't equate gameplay.....

No matter what I added to 3, the gameplay wasnt there.

that doesn't give sims 4 an excuse to have less.

But it gives s3 what?
    Superb content such as open world. Open world gameplay. Don't you just get it?

As cited from Wikipedia,

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.

It's not for sightseeing, it's for doing things with it.

You don't get it. I did the open world in 3. I've done without the open world in 1, 2, and 4.
    Apparently, you don't. What is your point? I don't care if you have played without open world. We have done the same.

So? Did it make that much of a difference to how you play the game? Really? Did it change your families? Your going out? What did it change? Nothing. Even with it, most people stayed on their lot, with their family, and had to go out when they got the "loopy" emote.

• Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member

That from a game development and programming perspective, the engine is dumbed down, and the game failed to properly progress and innovate while taking out many core features from all the previous iterations instead of augmenting them, is a fact.

Actually, you are. Make the list of how many core features were scrapped instead of augmented or innovated. Look at the game from a development perspective and see how much it actually "advanced" and made true to the term "sequel". Then make a list of how many new features were implemented, and how they compare to the milestones accomplished in previous iterations.

SIms 3 actually replaced what was removed with more than enough content. Obviously everyone has opinions on what was left out being worth it or not, but the fact of the matter is in terms of how much total content there was, 3 clearly had more than 2. Yet sims 4 clearly has a lot less to offer than 3.

But it gives s3 what?

As cited from Wikipedia,

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.

You don't get it. I did the open world in 3. I've done without the open world in 1, 2, and 4.
    Apparently, you don't. What is your point? I don't care if you have played without open world. We have done the same.

So? Did it make that much of a difference to how you play the game? Really? Did it change your families? Your going out? What did it change? Nothing. Even with it, most people stayed on their lot, with their family, and had to go out when they got the "loopy" emote.

Sorry to butt in but cant we all respect each others opinions? lol lets all get along
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member

But it gives s3 what?

As cited from Wikipedia,

Oh dear. You're so close-minded. Open World brings a huge difference in gameplay.

Ok let me give you some examples:
    1. My sims can ride horses wherever they want
    2. They can swim anywhere.
    3. They can ride cars and sailboats
    4. Especially, the sailboats. You can bring your lot and live in the middle of the ocean!

This isn't hard to guess at all. Unless you have the inability to understand things.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member

But it gives s3 what?

As cited from Wikipedia,

Open world provided more places to visit. It also gave us more places to gather resources. Open world allowed our sims to walk over to their neighbors and say hi without loading a fresh window. Children could play in the neighbors yard with the neighbor's children while mom and dad was still available to watch them (not in different loaded screen). Open world gave us the ability to see farther into the world while standing in our own yard and gave us the open road to drive, jog, or go for a walk.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Yeah I remeber I was so annoyed left out the social bunnies and constant phone calls for the open world. *rolls eys*
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Another thing an open world facilitates is the ability to not break immersion of the simulation. The screens are a bit jarring.

Its curious that the loading screen has been placed into individual lots. When I see what other games can run without loading screens, Sims 4 doesn't have much going on.

Makes me think they're planning monster expansion packs.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I love the sims 3 and I did not have much lag. The only lag I had was when a puppy would get stuck on some lots. mostly in Sunlit tides. Once I removed the obstacle no more lag. I played for hours without lag. So I do know that it is not the open world. I had all the Eps except supernatural and Kerry someone.
    Now I had no lag in large words or small worlds. but to my own liking, I loved small worlds, Maybe that is what I like about Sims 4.
    Large words are too overwhelming to me.
    I know there is not much in sims 4 right now, but I know once we start getting eps, and stuff, it will be amazing. I have not played Sims 3 since I got sims 4 and that was Sep 2.
  • Options
    TellexTellex Posts: 583 Member
    Rather than arguing about what’s better or comparing TS4 to games such as farcry and GTA (which are on different consoles) a much simpler solution would be giving each player two options.. either tick 'open neighbourhoods' or 'open world' in game option settings. This way people can play the way they want.

I myself like open neighbourhoods opposed to open world simply because open world would lag like crazy in my TS3 game. I know there are some people whose game did not lag in TS3 and I’m really pleased as punch for you but when it takes your sim a whole sim day just to get to the park on the other side of town it can get rather frustrating. I often sat there like "well that was fun. Just got here and it's time for my sim to go home". Not to mention the tedious times where my sim would catch a cab, be dropped off at the underground train station then jump back into a cab and go to a beach that was simply a walk away from their house in the first place. I’m not saying open neighbourhoods are better, I’m just saying they work better for me and my gameplay style :smile:

I prefer open neighbourhoods and that’s just my own personal preference, which everyone is entitled to :smile:
    35i5blu.png
    My Simblr
    Current family tree

Origin ID: tellekinz
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

But it gives s3 what?

As cited from Wikipedia,

And just because Sims 3 has Open World doesn't mean Sims 4 couldn't have had it.

The open world in Sims 3 brought me the ability to send Sims to community lots without having to replay the hours spent on the community lot over again. And the Sim(s) sent with reduced mood(s) due to their visit to the community lot. Short of Build a City Challenges, I only sent my Sims to community lots to buy clothes. And that was there to buy and then immediately back home. And the BACC I did after Bon Voyage was out so my Sims spent DAYS on the community lots raising it up and I'd always send them in the morning to the lots and make sure they slept and filled their moods before sending them back home. Sims 3 made it so that annoyance went away.

That's what Sims 3's open world brought me.

I've actually played just the Sims 3 base game fairly recently. Any Game Starter is wonderful. Was play testing Sims 3 apocalypse rules for base game only. So not only was I playing sans EP's, but then I took everything else and restricted it.

Here's what was new to the game with Sims 3.
    • Open World
    • Traits instead of personality points
    • Adult stage split into two age groups (Young Adult and Adult)
    • Children can choose their Lifetime Wish (it would be a random one)
    • Can choose the actual Lifetime Wish upon aging to Young Adult.
    • Create a Style
    • A free create a world tool (Sims 2 had one, it was Sim City 4, which you had to buy).
    • Story Progression (admittedly this had issues, but it was still new to the game)

Here's what is new to the game with Sims 4.
    • Moods
    • Child specific aspirations
    • Rewards for topping specific aspirations
    • Body Sculpting in CAS
    • Move full rooms
    • Can change your aspiration and do so without losing progress on the one you're changing from.

We lost a number of the new things to the series in Sims 3. And we didn't really get a whole lot to replace it. So to many who bought it at full price, they feel cheated. Their expectations were not met. They expected to get just as much new meaningful stuff as Sims 3 brought in. With old stuff updated where appropriate. Instead we lost a number of features, didn't get that many new ones and we lost several aspects of the things that remained.

And this is coming from someone whose first impression of Sims 3 was on a computer that wasn't really designed to play it. I had lag. Tons of lag. So much lag that I played it for about a week before going back to Sims 2 (which didn't really lag all that much). I got a horrible first impression of Late Night due to it. It literally took my Sim ALL Sim day to turn into formal wear on the first day of a save in Bridgeport. And I had all EP's and SP's released at that time. Even with how laggy Sims 3 was when I first go it, I still fell in love with it. I don't think it would have been the same if I had had the same amount of lag with Sims 4 that I did with Sims 3. Especially not if I paid full price for it.

I waited until a few days ago to buy it at $35.00 (I decided the DLC was worth $5 to me).

You also seem to fail to realize there are people out there who dislike the game, but care about the series. So they're posting why THEY don't like the game so that there is a chance that EA could change what they don't like about the game. And those people are in their absolute right to post said criticism. They don't have to sit back and just play a game they don't like or give up on the series quietly. If you do realize this, you're not making that very clear in your posts.

Yes, some take it over the top, but your refusal to acknowledge that they have a valid opinion is just as bad as their taking it over the top.

My mom has a saying: satisfaction is achieved when expectations are met or exceeded. Players rightfully expected to have a base game with as many new and/or innovated aspects as the previous two base games without losing a ton of things that were around in the previous. We didn't lose much when we went from Sims 2 to Sims 3. We lost a lot going from Sims 3 to Sims 4. So peoples' expectations were not met. And that failure to meet expectations likely came with a $60+ price tag. And some of those people may have saved up to buy it foregoing other things they may have in the end enjoyed more.

I went in only having paid $30 knowing full well what the game had vs what it didn't have. So my expectations weren't very high. And mine were met. Not exceeded, though. Sims 2 and Sims 3 exceeded my expectations. And given how laggy Sims 3 was, you can imagine how much my expectations would have been exceeded had I not had lag. And Sims 3 beat my initial expectations of it.
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    Not everyone that has played the sims 3 experiences lagging, crashing, and issues with CASt.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    RadprofileRadprofile Posts: 161 Member
    I'm not completely sure about this because I never worked as dev for The Sims 3, but what the OP says is probably true at some degree, it have some influence, surely is not the only cause, but it helps a lot to add the lag.

I know some other games exist out there that are Open world and they are good and stuff, "zero lag" some may say, so why The Sims 3 was so laggy? (for some more than for others of course) surely the Open world is not the reason... well, maybe yes (?). The main difference I can notice about The Sims 3 and other games with Open world is, the amount of things the game needs to do on each section of the map.

The Open world is nice for games that don't need to do the incredible amount of tasks The Sims games needs to do, "the behavior" each Sim needs to have, specially on The Sims 3 that still had Story Progression, I have no idea how many Sims or Families each map have, now, imagine all those Sims needs to load constantly, apply their behavior based on decisions you altered when your Sims interact with them, also their behavior is affected by not only your Sims (player Sims) but also from other things, just to add the "randomness" of the game. The Sims in game are always changing in some way because there are several factors that affect them, even they have needs, jobs and stuff they need to attend.

So the PC/laptop/Mac/whatever needs to constantly load and apply a lot of tasks given to each Sim every time the game needs to show them, or you visit them or stuff, even their needs, EACH one have them. Contrary to other open world games that the NPCs just have some basic behaviors, like walk, from point A to B, or just reply to you some stuff, and that don't change, several ones are just copy of others. In the Sims games, they even have different clothes, they change them depending of the situation, weather and stuff... now here is where CASt is involved...

CASt contribute to the lag because aside from ALL I mentioned before (and probably there is more), now each one can have a different custom color, remember the stylist and architect? Now you add more "stress" to the game giving the Sims custom stuff the game needs to find or add each time its needed.

Add all these stuff to the fact that people use to change the whole worlds, demolish the town, build their own things, customize almost anything... To be honest, The Sims can't be compared to all those other games that are Open world, the differences are abysmal.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    anywho211 wrote: »
    (snipped) My load times are bordering on a minute each for TS4, after repairing, after clearing caches and I have never, ever had a mod or CC in TS4.

Wow, that is pretty bad. Sounds like you have an excellent PC too. Sheesh.

They're shorter again if I play a new save.

The load is long regardless of whether my sims have anything in inventory or not, personal and family.

I am guessing it is related to the fact I have stuck with this family for some time. I don't want to have to start over every time the loads start lengthening, I play a family for the long haul. Just my style. I haven't put very many actual hours into playing them, probably less than 40.

The loads have grown gradually, not a sudden thing. A second or two here and there, but it adds up. I didn't mind the short loads as much when I had those, they were about three to five seconds. This is too much for me at this point and I will not settle for deleting this save and starting with a new one every few weeks.
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    yeah...the bigger the map, the more it takes to run it...its called math
  • Options
    Gnarl_Lee wrote: »

I don't know if this was directed at me or the OP, but I was talking about TS4. I have no issues with TS3.

• Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member

I don't know if this was directed at me or the OP, but I was talking about TS4. I have no issues with TS3.

yep, op...I didn't quote ya so youre safe! lol ;)
  • Options
    haha, this time.. :D
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Tellex wrote: »
    Rather than arguing about what’s better or comparing TS4 to games such as farcry and GTA (which are on different consoles) a much simpler solution would be giving each player two options.. either tick 'open neighbourhoods' or 'open world' in game option settings. This way people can play the way they want.<br />
    <br />
    I myself like open neighbourhoods opposed to open world simply because open world would lag like crazy in my TS3 game. I know there are some people whose game did not lag in TS3 and I’m really pleased as punch for you but when it takes your sim a whole sim day just to get to the park on the other side of town it can get rather frustrating. I often sat there like "well that was fun. Just got here and it's time for my sim to go home". Not to mention the tedious times where my sim would catch a cab, be dropped off at the underground train station then jump back into a cab and go to a beach that was simply a walk away from their house in the first place. I’m not saying open neighbourhoods are better, I’m just saying they work better for me and my gameplay style :smile:<br />
    <br />
    I prefer open neighbourhoods and that’s just my own personal preference, which everyone is entitled to :smile:
    I thought lagging meant the whole game stopping, time included. How does lagging work then? Your sim not moving but the clock is ticking? My cab drivers are much better at their jobs than yours apparently.

I wouldn't mind the neighborhoods btw, if they were larger and didn't have any loading screens within.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GuruFanNo1GuruFanNo1 Posts: 389 Member
    I loved the open world. It would be great if Sims4 was the same
  • Options
    Lynne563Lynne563 Posts: 100 Member
    I have no issues at all with Sims 3, It also has an open world. :)
  • Options
    TellexTellex Posts: 583 Member
    > @astridentanja said:
    > Tellex wrote: »
    >
    > Rather than arguing about what’s better or comparing TS4 to games such as farcry and GTA (which are on different consoles) a much simpler solution would be giving each player two options.. either tick 'open neighbourhoods' or 'open world' in game option settings. This way people can play the way they want.

>

> I myself like open neighbourhoods opposed to open world simply because open world would lag like crazy in my TS3 game. I know there are some people whose game did not lag in TS3 and I’m really pleased as punch for you but when it takes your sim a whole sim day just to get to the park on the other side of town it can get rather frustrating. I often sat there like "well that was fun. Just got here and it's time for my sim to go home". Not to mention the tedious times where my sim would catch a cab, be dropped off at the underground train station then jump back into a cab and go to a beach that was simply a walk away from their house in the first place. I’m not saying open neighbourhoods are better, I’m just saying they work better for me and my gameplay style :smile:

>

> I prefer open neighbourhoods and that’s just my own personal preference, which everyone is entitled to :smile:
    >
    >
    >
    > I thought lagging meant the whole game stopping, time included. How does lagging work then? Your sim not moving but the clock is ticking? My cab drivers are much better at their jobs than yours apparently.
    >
    > I wouldn't mind the neighborhoods btw, if they were larger and didn't have any loading screens within.

Yep my clock was still rolling perfectly fine when the game lagged so yeah, as i said, frustrating.
    35i5blu.png
    My Simblr
    Current family tree

Origin ID: tellekinz
  • Options
    > @astridentanja said:<br />
    > Tellex wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > Rather than arguing about what’s better or comparing TS4 to games such as farcry and GTA (which are on different consoles) a much simpler solution would be giving each player two options.. either tick 'open neighbourhoods' or 'open world' in game option settings. This way people can play the way they want.<br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />
    > I myself like open neighbourhoods opposed to open world simply because open world would lag like crazy in my TS3 game. I know there are some people whose game did not lag in TS3 and I’m really pleased as punch for you but when it takes your sim a whole sim day just to get to the park on the other side of town it can get rather frustrating. I often sat there like "well that was fun. Just got here and it's time for my sim to go home". Not to mention the tedious times where my sim would catch a cab, be dropped off at the underground train station then jump back into a cab and go to a beach that was simply a walk away from their house in the first place. I’m not saying open neighbourhoods are better, I’m just saying they work better for me and my gameplay style :smile:<br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />
    > I prefer open neighbourhoods and that’s just my own personal preference, which everyone is entitled to :smile:<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > I thought lagging meant the whole game stopping, time included. How does lagging work then? Your sim not moving but the clock is ticking? My cab drivers are much better at their jobs than yours apparently.<br />
    > <br />
    > I wouldn't mind the neighborhoods btw, if they were larger and didn't have any loading screens within.<br />
    <br />
    Yep my clock was still rolling perfectly fine when the game lagged so yeah, as i said, frustrating.
    First time I actually understand the concept of lagging (which means China wasn't lagging for me, it was freezing).
    I can see how that completely spoils the game. But it must have been your computer or something else, cause I play the same game as you did and never experienced something like this.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Gnarl_Lee wrote: »
    Yes, but with one huge difference; optimized engine and logical rendering/processing.

This was lacking in TS3. The amount of processing power eaten by simply trying to properly route sims that were stuck, the unoptimized engine, the clunky useless database system used to store your save files, the fact that inactives had issues with being in suspended animation, among others made the game have performance issues. Open world does not cause the performance issues we experienced, how poorly they coded the game and the engine caused the performance issues.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    > <br />
    > Rather than arguing about what’s better or comparing TS4 to games such as farcry and GTA (which are on different consoles) a much simpler solution would be giving each player two options.. either tick 'open neighbourhoods' or 'open world' in game option settings. This way people can play the way they want.<br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />
    > I myself like open neighbourhoods opposed to open world simply because open world would lag like crazy in my TS3 game. I know there are some people whose game did not lag in TS3 and I’m really pleased as punch for you but when it takes your sim a whole sim day just to get to the park on the other side of town it can get rather frustrating. I often sat there like "well that was fun. Just got here and it's time for my sim to go home". Not to mention the tedious times where my sim would catch a cab, be dropped off at the underground train station then jump back into a cab and go to a beach that was simply a walk away from their house in the first place. I’m not saying open neighbourhoods are better, I’m just saying they work better for me and my gameplay style :smile:<br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />
    > I prefer open neighbourhoods and that’s just my own personal preference, which everyone is entitled to :smile:<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > I thought lagging meant the whole game stopping, time included. How does lagging work then? Your sim not moving but the clock is ticking? My cab drivers are much better at their jobs than yours apparently.<br />
    > <br />
    > I wouldn't mind the neighborhoods btw, if they were larger and didn't have any loading screens within.<br />
    <br />
    First time I actually understand the concept of lagging (which means China wasn't lagging for me, it was freezing).
    I can see how that completely spoils the game. But it must have been your computer or something else, cause I play the same game as you did and never experienced something like this.
    It isn't the computer most likely, this is quite common really. Lag, freezing, stutter, all of them. Spend quite a bit of time on the same save, or on a poorly routed world, you'll face them eventually. It's simply the game eating up ridiculous amounts of memory and processing power trying to properly route stuck sims, loading corrupted small things that have no visible impact but definitely are there (phantom vehicles, bogus inventories, broken simDescriptions, missing sims, wandering toddlers, etc.). They pile overtime, and while higher end rigs will take longer to reach a point where it becomes quite annoying, it'll happen (that or your save just goes bonkers).

Remember on the other thread how we were talking about the need for mods and whatnot, and the generalization that they are *needed* to enjoy the gameplay? Well, that generalization came most likely due to the majority of the playerbase being legacy players, story tellers, and in general people who like to keep the progress and not starting over a new save. Without a doubt, anyone that falls in those categories will be prone to suffering those performance issues eventually.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    > <br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    <br />
    It isn't the computer most likely, this is quite common really. Lag, freezing, stutter, all of them. Spend quite a bit of time on the same save, or on a poorly routed world, you'll face them eventually. It's simply the game eating up ridiculous amounts of memory and processing power trying to properly route stuck sims, loading corrupted small things that have no visible impact but definitely are there (phantom vehicles, bogus inventories, broken simDescriptions, missing sims, wandering toddlers, etc.). They pile overtime, and while higher end rigs will take longer to reach a point where it becomes quite annoying, it'll happen (that or your save just goes bonkers).

Remember on the other thread how we were talking about the need for mods and whatnot, and the generalization that they are *needed* to enjoy the gameplay? Well, that generalization came most likely due to the majority of the playerbase being legacy players, story tellers, and in general people who like to keep the progress and not starting over a new save. Without a doubt, anyone that falls in those categories will be prone to suffering those performance issues eventually.
    Yes, that's true, you're right. After a couple of generations in the same save I always start a new one because of that.
    It's partly caused by memories of 'old' sims, but since I always put all family members in there again (dead or alive) it must be the world itself that causes the game slowing down. Because when I start a new world with them everything's fine again.

Edit: I like it by the way the game remembers things my deceased sims did in their lifes, like skills. But they don't have to remember everything as far as I'm concerned.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    edited December 2014
    AiHaou wrote: »
    The open world and create a style is part of the reason why sims 3 lagged so much.

I disagree. What caused lag was poorly written code coupled with poor implementation of the same code. Poorly written code is referred to as "spaghetti code." I play several custom worlds in TS3 and none of them have any of the lag that the EA worlds do. EA simply didn't fix the routing issues. Instead they allowed the "open worlds cause lag" myth to percolate and then used that to give us the stripped down mess called TS4.

Edit: grammar
    Post edited by Wildley Curious on
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club