Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"refreshing" content in the community

Has anyone suggested adding the ability to "refresh" created sims/rooms/plots in the community? If not, let me do so. I have no idea how hard that would be, but, it would be fantastic.

Comments

• AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    What?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Do you mean to replace your upload with a new version?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    no. I mean "refreshing" it so that it reappears it the community window so people that are searching for content see it.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I think what they mean is the online gallery doesn't seem to be updating. The same stuff has been on the main page for a week. In game it updates more then it does online it would seem.
    no. I mean the ability to refresh your content so that stuff you made say... you know a month ago that DOESN'T easily show up in the "most recent" (because so much stuff is getting uploaded) will again show up if you filter by "most recent" until it again gets buried under pages of content...
  • brytewolfbrytewolf Posts: 144 Member
    So you basically want to "bump" your content so it's on the first page again?
    5xgM8XF.gif
    yes. bump... refresh... whateves =)
  • Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    This is about the worst idea I've ever heard as far as the Gallery is concerned.
    edited November 2014
    any particular reason or are you just being disagreeable because- hey! internet!

How is it any different than the amount of content that is making its way into the gallery now? There's nothing stopping people from removing/re-uploading those things already. The ability to refresh would do nothing different except to allow you to retain downloads/favorites- which to me would actually cause content that people think is good to perpetuate.
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    edited November 2014
    If you let this idea to happen, there will be bots swarming The Gallery.

What are you so defensive for? This whole thing is silly
    edited November 2014
    I guess maybe I'm ignorant of that then- there are bots on the gallery? that do what- exactly?

again- I go back to: if there are bots on the gallery, there's nothing stopping them from removing/re-uploading content already... that couldn't be THAT hard to macro or whatever...
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    I guess maybe I'm ignorant of that then- there are bots on the gallery? that do what- exactly?<br />
    <br />
    again- I go back to: if there are bots on the gallery, there's nothing stopping them from removing/re-uploading content already... that couldn't be THAT hard to macro or whatever...
    The same thing you wanted to do...
    > @Jimil said:
    > If you let this idea to happen, there will be bots swarming The Gallery.
    >
    > What are you so defensive for? This whole thing is silly

why are you trying to interpret tone on a forum? I'm not defensive. I'm asking questions. when someone says: "no- that idea is dumb" with no further explanation, that's not exactly productive.
    > @Jimil said:
    > ASDF0716 wrote: »
    >
    > I guess maybe I'm ignorant of that then- there are bots on the gallery? that do what- exactly?

>

> again- I go back to: if there are bots on the gallery, there's nothing stopping them from removing/re-uploading content already... that couldn't be THAT hard to macro or whatever...
    >
    >
    >
    > The same thing you wanted to do...

so- my question is again- who cares if a bot refreshes stuff? there's already NOTHING stopping them from doing it...
    Why are you? Look at yourself right now. @Shimrod101 is right all along. I don't even know why I bothered.
    any particular reason...

For me personally, the older a sim is, the longer they have been on the gallery I mean, the better. Because of various things happening with CC being placed on newer sims. It is an advantage for me to identify sims made earlier on, based upon the uploaded date, and avoid downloading newer sims.

I probably won't download any sims at all now from the Gallery unless I become familiar with a creator name.

• happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    Lol.
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
    edited November 2014
    > @Shimrod101 said:
    >
    > any particular reason...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > For me personally, the older a sim is, the longer they have been on the gallery I mean, the better. Because of various things happening with CC being placed on newer sims. It is an advantage for me to identify sims made earlier on, based upon the uploaded date, and avoid downloading newer sims.
    >
    > I probably won't download any sims at all now from the Gallery unless I become familiar with a creator name.

so, that is- if anything- an argument against custom content and not an argument against being able to refresh content in the gallery...
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    It would defeat the object because everyone would just be constantly 'refreshing' their content and so you would get the extra coverage you are looking for anyone. The whole point of a page showing the latest uploads is so that people can see new content; if this were to happen you would never see anything new again.
    tFU6JMe.png
    So, that is- if anything- an argument against custom content and not an argument about being able to refresh content in the gallery...

As far as I'm concerned CC of any kind should be banned totally from the Gallery, also showing some CC clothing that does not follow the sim (supposedly), just to show off the clothing with a message "can be downloaded at this Blog", for advertising purposes in other words. This should all be stopped, the Gallery\Origin system, or whatever, should refuse to accept an upload if there is anything of CC showing in the picture of the sim or house or room, or if the file being uploaded can be scanned for CC, it is rejected.

But I think it must be easiest for me right now to search on the Gallery based on date, and where sims are concerned I'm looking for the oldest ones in most cases. The date of the sim will be messed around with a traditional bumping system, the "refreshed" sim will have the wrong date on it.

> @Moodbeamy said:
    > It would defeat the object because everyone would just be constantly 'refreshing' their content and so you would get the extra coverage you are looking for anyone. The whole point of a page showing the latest uploads is so that people can see new content; if this were to happen you would never see anything new again.

Thank you for an actual counterpoint!

I still don't necessarily know that I'm sold on that, though- because- again- that's PROBABLY already happening (I have no proof of that, btw- it's pure conjecture). I know that I have personally deleted and reuploaded sims to "push" ones I was particularly proud of.

And, it's not like the Gallery is the most organized place in history at the moment anyway! I roll my eyes every time I see a string of the same toon uploaded eight times in a row as someone keeps making changes and not realizing what they are doing...

Wouldn't a refresh option allow GOOD content to remain towards the surface? I know that number of downloads and number of times "favorited" is something I certainly look for when deciding what to download... so, if you have a way to keep pushing content people (at least appear) to like... isn't that a GOOD thing?
    > @Shimrod101 said:
    >
    > So, that is- if anything- an argument against custom content and not an argument about being able to refresh content in the gallery...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > As far as I'm concerned CC of any kind should be banned totally from the Gallery, also showing some CC clothing that does not follow the sim (supposedly), just to show off the clothing with a message "can be downloaded at this Blog", for advertising purposes in other words. This should all be stopped, the Gallery\Origin system, or whatever, should refuse to accept an upload if there is anything of CC showing in the picture of the sim or house or room, or if the file being uploaded can be scanned for CC, it is rejected.
    >
    > But I think it must be easiest for me right now to search on the Gallery based on date, and where sims are concerned I'm looking for the oldest ones in most cases. The date of the sim will be messed around with a traditional bumping system, the "refreshed" sim will have the wrong date on it.

right- so you are arguing against custom content- not the mechanics of the gallery.
    I agree with Moodbeamy, there would seldom be any new content showing at the beginning where it is supposed to be NEW content; it would be filled up with "refreshed" content, certain individuals would be bumping their stuff again and again, regardless of any quality to said content.
  • KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    You're assuming that everyone will also think your uploads are good - everbody who uploads probably feels that way - however taste is a very individual and subjective matter, what you consider to be great others may consider lousy. Continually pushing old content to the top is going to get confusing.

edited December 2014
    > @KevWalker said:
    > You're assuming that everyone will also think your uploads are good - everbody who uploads probably feels that way - however taste is a very individual and subjective matter, what you consider to be great others may consider lousy. Continually pushing old content to the top is going to get confusing.

You are assuming I'm assuming anything.

I'm- in fact- NOT assuming my uploads are good- that's why uploads have a download/Favorited feature... the COMMUNITY would decide what is good- as they do now. My argument is that a refresh option would allow you to KEEP pushing things the community appears to find good to the surface- or- as a counterpoint- to push content for a time to see if people like it and if not, to add, change or delete that content.

The argument that people will push (subjectively) crappy things because THEY think they are good doesn't work for me because- look at the gallery now- it's filled with what I see as crappy sims and crappy houses- you know what happens? Those things don't get Favorited and I ignore them unless there is something else that catches my attention and warrants further investigation. Presumably, anyone that pushes content to the world at large considers it "good"- unless they are trolling like the naked Justin Beiber and/or pregnant teens or whatever, however, again, if the intent there is ultimately only to troll, they are going to do that anyway and that's EA's problem.

Content is content... I'm not sure how WHEN something was created has any relevance to how good it may be. Why exactly would that be confusing?
    Post edited by ASDF0716 on