Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me what's fun in s4.

Comments

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @stilljustme2, Not sure what that says about you. LOL But I know for me I didn't like either of those games, and I know I've enjoyed the previous Sims games because they stuck to the fundamentals of what made the original Sims so great. Sims 4 is severely lacking, and for me that speaks volumes to why I and many others have found this game so unlovable, enjoyably, and having to force yourself to play. After four days of trying to make myself fall in love with this game I was done.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    TiffanyRoseTiffanyRose Posts: 121 Member
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    To be honest though, I think moving the camera and build mode are very frustrating in sims4.

Don't know if someone mentioned this to you already, but there is an option to change the camera to Sims 3 mode in the in game menu. I was bored at first too. One thing that made things not nearly as frustrating was getting the mod that makes the starting household fund $50,000... give you more freedom with activities and building.

Gallery: Hellkittenn
    Simmer since 2001.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Uninstalling it is fun. Try fulfilling aspirations? Collect some rocks? Err... Socialize?
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    SimmercrazySimmercrazy Posts: 30 Member
    I'd reccomend looking for good challenges. Like, some difficult ones. I'd also try making sims with really interesting traits. Hot-headed can be loads of fun :smile: And mean! Try a mean sim.

Also, try doing your sims aspirations. If you tend to cheat, then don't. Try a legacy. Try a 100 baby challenge.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Sadly, I had wanted to love this game so badly, but the magic is gone.

The magic is just as alive in this version as the others.
    I just had my Sim read to his daughter outside, not needing chairs at all, sitting comfortably on the boards, and it was a "very warm Sims moment". There are lots of little things that are full of charm.
    Just watching an angry Sim slam the fridge door, HAD IT BEEN put in Sims 2 or 3, would have everyone all nostalgic for that wonderful moment... well, it's in Sims 4.
    I think it has now become fashionable to hate on Sims 4.
    Yes, it has problems, and so did every other Sims game.
    They all had plenty of things wrong with them. I would like improvements, just like everyone else, and I did for the other Sims games as well. Some of those things were added/fixed, some were not. It will be the same this time.
    The game has just as many qualities to make it fun as its predecessors.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited November 2014
    Frankly the novelty of TS4 wore off rather quickly for me. There are absolutely 0 innovative big gameplay-changing features that make the game feel like a new game. And on the other hand, there are far too many core features taken away under the false pretext of "performance" which is translated to lazy programming. The little things that were improved in TS4 base game are completely overshadowed by the big steps its predecessors took, even more so by leaving so many things out, the gameplay becomes dull so quick because it really didn't change at all. When TS2 gave us full 3d environments, wants and fears, etc., it was such a big change gameplay-wise that I could stay playing the base game for months. When TS3 gave us CASt and open worlds, just the fact that I could roam the town uninterrupted, visit neighbors, do anything and customize everything to my heart's content allowed me to play the base game for months.

And of course, the fact that so many things (open worlds, CASt, etc.) were dropped supposedly because the devs coding skills are that of a chimpanzee of performance, yet after 20 hours of the same save, my game went from smooth as silk to jerky and glitchy, and at 28 hours or so, it got corrupted. It took a lot of willpower for me to get going, but to have my save get corrupted? Yeah, haven't touched the game in months.

What's fun in TS4 then? Well, grab it while it's at its rightful price ($30.00), try to forget there was ever a TS3, and try to forget the charm of TS2 too, and give it a go. Once you've experienced the oh so scripted gameplay and minute new features, if you have to force yourself to play, or if you have to ask on the forums what is there to do, it means the game has failed to entertain you. Bring back all the memories from TS1, TS2 and TS3, pick one or many, and cleanse your mind by playing them.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    @EasyToRead, no, not at all, read my original post, and you will see what I mean.
    No I did read it. I absolutely agree with you that this game mind numbing boring. That's why I gave that tongue in cheek kind of comment in response to that question. B)
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited December 2014
    To be honest though, I think moving the camera and build mode are very frustrating in sims4.

Don't know if someone mentioned this to you already, but there is an option to change the camera to Sims 3 mode in the in game menu. I was bored at first too. One thing that made things not nearly as frustrating was getting the mod that makes the starting household fund $50,000... give you more freedom with activities and building.

I've tried it. It doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm going try again later.

Quick question: Does it actually show up as controls like visually? Or do I have to remember a bunch of commands?

Here's my game controls, notice I've checked the Sims 3 Camera:

11-30-14_10-05nbspPM.png

Here's my screen:

11-29-14_1-13nbspAM.png
    Post edited by AthenaOnyx on
  • Options
    If you're a huge Facebook game lover, and enjoy Sims Social, or even SimsFree Play, then this game is for you! If you've enjoyed the previous games (The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3), then this game is not for you. Sadly, I had wanted to love this game so badly, but the magic is gone. What has made the Sims so great since 2000 has been stripped away and in it's place we have been give a social media game. It's truly a shame and very sad.

My one daughter even said it reminds her of My Sims, but in a bad way, since The Sims isn't My Sims. She played for thirty minutes then closed out the game. She was on the verge of tears she was so upset with Sims 4. At this point she really hates EA.

That's interesting you say that because the whole time I was playing it I had this whole social media vibe, but I could figure out why.
  • Options
    @EasyToRead, sorry, I got confused. I just wanted you to know I wasn't trying to start a ruckus. :)
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited December 2014
    kirby356 wrote: »
    Haven't played the game since the end of September/beginning of October. I just went back to playing TS2 and TS3 and when I play those it reminds me of what a sims game should be, and I completely forget about the unwanted step-child that is TS4.

Pretty much the same situation for me too.

It's strange, even as bad TS3 could get with its many errors, bad optimization, sub-par expansions, etc., I still got 100s of hours of gameplay out of it. Even the base game itself had me hooked longer than TS4.

As of this point, the only strong thing TS4 has is multitasking. Build/CAS have had their own improvements too, but I find that live mode is where the game should excel the most. There is no reason why we needed to downgrade to a system worse than TS2's (in terms of closed worlds) to get the Sims to be just a tad smarter than TS3 Sims. And I say that because, after playing TS2 again, TS4's Sims really aren't a huge step up at all. They don't have wants/fears, no memories, no dreams, no advanced personality system (they have LESS traits than TS3!), and moving from one interaction to another is still nowhere near as fluid as TS2 Sims.

Add that to the fact the two patches we've gotten brought back features near exactly as they were in TS3 with little to no improvement nor change aside from the fact they were delayed from launch.

Sorry OP for going off-topic, but really, the only fun thing I found in TS4 was CAS and multitasking. It wore off pretty quickly, unfortunately.
  • Options
    ZalloriZallori Posts: 56 Member
    What is fun in Sims 4,
    Creating the Sims
    I really enjoy the while one is out in the household the others are on auto but I still wouldnt mind seeing or checking on them. I didnt like the concept of Sims 3 on auto and they would just stand around peein' on themselves or dying of hunger lol, it was funny though.
    I like the bar scene and the auto group talk. I thought that was interesting and I would just watch them to see what they would do.
    Now I did read that once your dead you are dead and that sucks if you are on the Sims 4 playing for a good minute you do get a little attached to these guys.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Everything is fun in TS4! :)
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    Everything is fun in TS4! :)
    sarcasm-sherlock.gif

• Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    I really cannot add anything positive to this. Plum it all to plum...

Painting emotional displays can be fun. I had an evil Sim paint several Angry emotional paintings at the museum and hung them all over, enabling the emotions. It was fun to watch for about 2 minutes :D

I do like the look of the neighborhood (no way can I call this a world), it's very colorful and vibrant :wink:
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    Hello.

I got s4 today, but so far it seems...mind-numbingly boring. I remember a lot people saying at first they thought the game was dull, but then after playing it became fun. So, what should I do?

That is a very good question. One I did not find an answer to

• Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    edited December 2014
    I started to enjoy the game when I ignored all that I hated about it and started to just, you know, play it.

Multitasking is defiantly my big game saver. I always enjoy The Sims when things were more social for some reason, and being able to chat while literally doing basically anything is kinda nice for me.

I say just force yourself to play it for a while, with aging off preferably, and don't try to pick out things to make it fun; just play.

That's how it starts. The forcing yourself to play. Then they start with-holding more of the game claiming it was lagging. Then they release an unfinished game. Then finally they sell the content back as DLC. Thankfully there are still devs like Naughty Dog out there
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    Hi!

I´ve been playing TS4 for a couple of weeks now, I´m not a lover, actually I like TS3 better and I have played and loved TS2 for years BUT...

If you try not to compare constantly to former experiences, if you forget all the goal related content, if you forget all the emotions related moddlets that are really annoying and useless, if you mod the game to avoid the distance blur, if you make a good use of your imagination to fullfill the story, then TS4 is not that bad.

Children animations and interactions are good, autonomous reactions between parents and children and between spouses or lovers are surprising and funny, music and graphics are beautifull IMO.

I hate loading screens and losing control of the left behind sims so I play inside my lot almost all the time and try to travell with all the sims in the household when going out, but as I was expecting too little I have not been disappointed.

I have not found as many bugs glitches or even clipping as I was fearing, the game runs smooth and bug free for me, I have a good machine that handle TS3 in all its glory so I am not surprised it can manage TS4 quite well.

I have to say TS4 sims are SIMS in spite of all the things they have been taken off and the game is funny to play and has things that I like very much:

I like when my sims go to kiss one another on their own
    I like the way they easily gather around the dinning table for meals and talk and laugh
    I like when my simkids go outside and play with other simkids they look very much like RL kids
    I´m in a third generation of my family and I have to say genetic has been far more consistent than what I was expecting
    Socializing and friendship is easy and funny between single YA and Adults, calling on friends is better done in this iteration than in previous ones in spite of the loading screens.

There are more things I like but I can´t remember now, there must be many old time simmers out there who are having a good time with the game, it cannot be only me!!!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    Mylita wrote: »
    AthenaOnyx, I agree. I played for a couple of weeks. I haven't played in almost 2 months, except for going in to build a pool when they were patched in. I wanted to love TS4, but there just isn't enough there to keep me going.

Mylita

Me too. When pool come out i loaded the game to build it and was expecting to have more objects, more interactions, more activities, more fun, parties etc. But no, it was just pool. I mean just a pool. So, i got zero emotion and exit again. I haven't played since then. Waiting what kind of career patch will be.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    <snipped to get to the point for my remarks>
    If you want to enjoy the game, you have to put your imagination to work as much as possible and look for ways in which you can override the limitations EA has placed upon the game. That said, the game still lacks a lot -- not only toddlers, but so much more.

I always rely on my imagination when playing the Sims. To me, that is the storytelling part of it. I do miss TODDLERS in the game, very much, but I am finding family play is still possible. Sometimes, I even find the need to age up the baby sooner than their scheduled time because taking care of a screaming baby (and I'm finding that babies beyond the second one tend to be quite fussy) too redundant. Now, if we were able to walk around with baby, bathe baby and have freedom from that dreadful bassinet, it would be a whole different thing for me.
    All that aside, I am finding this game fun.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I'm starting to like it, but it's probably because I'm playing with the simselves of both me and my boyfriend. It's kind of hard not to like that. :) Little by little I start liking the game more. I see what everyone's saying about building: hanging paintings is a lot more fun now. I love the look of the new sims (they are my favorite out of all the games). Don't care much for the stylized look, but it's getting better. I know this is a matter of taste, because my sister always likes cute stuff over realism, so, I guess we're giving the "cute" people a turn.

There animations are refreshing. Either they are realistic or fun to watch or smoother. I've learned that if I disable the "sims3 controls," I can actually control the camera better, but I find it frustrating that I can't take a picture after pressing "tab." Now I have to take a screenprint if I really want a good angle.

My simself has decide to postpone having a baby or aging until the toddler/baby problem is resolved.

I haven't played for one sim day yet so I'm sure my opinions will be different in a day or so. I'm actually glad that sims4 hasn't eclipsed sims3 & sims2 because I still have unfinished business with those games.
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    Your Mom is fun!...no seriously, its a sim named Your Mom :#
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Things that are fun:

1. Playing with a child, especially a child who likes to draw on the activity table. The pirate and rocket ships in the park are fun, too. The children in TS4 are the best of the series, in my opinion.
    2. Playing with a painter -- lots of new paintings, and emotion-based paintings.
    3. Playing with a musician. I love all the piano tunes. My violinist was fun, too, and I haven't explored a guitar player, yet.
    4. Playing with a cook. Whether it's watching a new cook drop the salt shaker into the scrambled eggs or an experienced cook roll the bowl of cake batter across her back, the actions are always enjoyable and different. I hope that they put the person who came up with the cooking animations to work on the dancing.
    5. Building a rocket ship and sending your sim off on space adventures. They are rabbitholes, but an improvement on the TS3 time machine ones.
    6. Reading books. Specifically the blurbs that were invented for all the titles -- like, The Lord of the Swings, with little Eduardo and the bully, Byron. And while you're at it, read the descriptions of the Crisponix refrigerators in Build/Buy mode.
    7. Dressing your sims -- I'm always interested to see which outfit they'll pick for the day from the 5 I created for them.
    8. Last but not least, try romantic and mean and funny interactions.
  • Options
    whtrbtwhtrbt Posts: 1,927 Member
    edited December 2014
    I hate having to constantly monitor my sims' needs. They are alway starving, about to pee, exhausted, stinky, etc. Much more so than Sims 3. And it takes forever to bring those needs back up.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    whtrbt wrote: »
    I hate having to constantly monitor my sims' needs. They are alway starving, about to pee, exhausted, stinky, etc. Much more so than Sims 3. And it takes forever to bring those needs back up.

Really? I have to say I find the opposite to be true. I've gone pretty much fully hands off with my sims recently, and found they are pretty good about keeping needs met. Other then the occasional potty walk, I rarely see a need go into critical. Energy gets low somtimes but only when I keep them away from home for too long.