Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me what's fun in s4.

Hello.

I got s4 today, but so far it seems...mind-numbingly boring. I remember a lot people saying at first they thought the game was dull, but then after playing it became fun. So, what should I do?

Comments

• Options
    saraswatisaraswati Posts: 408 Member
    @AthenaOnyx, what type of player are you? Do you prefer to build, do legacies or make Sims?

I loved that the aspirations are actually more difficult and it takes their whole lives sometimes to fulfill one aspiration. I also love that kids have their own aspirations which affect their outcome as adults. I mainly play creative or fitness sims which are aspirations where the career also dovetails to some degree.

But it depends on what you like. The build tools are awesome as well.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm fantasy simmer mostly, but I know that point is mute. Lol. I suppose I could do a legacy it's just that I don't like babies being tied to the crib and no toddlerhood.

I build when I really want something particular. To be honest though, I think moving the camera and build mode are very frustrating in sims4.
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    AthenaOnyx, I agree. I played for a couple of weeks. I haven't played in almost 2 months, except for going in to build a pool when they were patched in. I wanted to love TS4, but there just isn't enough there to keep me going.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    Hello.

I got s4 today, but so far it seems...mind-numbingly boring. I remember a lot people saying at first they thought the game was dull, but then after playing it became fun. So, what should I do?

Yes, it can be mind-numbing. The social interactions are very limited, and despite all the hype, the emotions and moods are all but worthless. The gameplay is highly scripted, and many of us find the repetitive actions quite boring.

If you want to enjoy the game, you have to put your imagination to work as much as possible and look for ways in which you can override the limitations EA has placed upon the game. That said, the game still lacks a lot -- not only toddlers, but so much more.

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    everything and nothing, depends on your mood while playing
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Depends on what type of player you are. If you don't give a plum about legacies, you won't be that affected on toybabies and no toddlers. On the other hand, this game is a disaster if you play legacies.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm not a big legacy player. I have never had a third generation child. I get too caught with the family I'm playing. I always wanted to play a legacy-style game, but just never could bring myself to do it. I thought I would do with s4, thinking I like the look of those sims better and that there would be much to do at first. But, then the problems with the babies and tots shot that idea.

Really, I don't see how anyone could be over-the-moon about this game, because there's really nothing that's fleshed out yet.

Really wish they'd have kept the sims3 controls, honestly, I believe those controls were what stole me away from sims2, or at least made it difficult to go back.
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm not a big legacy player. I have never had a third generation child. I get too caught with the family I'm playing. I always wanted to play a legacy-style game, but just never could bring myself to do it. I thought I would do with s4, thinking I like the look of those sims better and that there would be much to do at first. But, then the problems with the babies and tots shot that idea.

Really, I don't see how anyone could be over-the-moon about this game, because there's really nothing that's fleshed out yet.

Really wish they'd have kept the sims3 controls, honestly, I believe those controls were what stole me away from sims2, or at least made it difficult to go back.
    You can change it back in options, I don't remember exactly where, I'd have to go into my game.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Unfortunately, this is the truth, guys. Listen up and pay attention to this thread. #HealYourBlindEyes #GoIntoTheLight #FindTheTruth
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    You can change it back in options, I don't remember exactly where, I'd have to go into my game.

Options Menu. Game Options. Controls & Camera. Place Checkmark in 'The Sims 3 Camera.' Click Apply Changes.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    @kremesch73, I did that and it didn't work. Plus, someone wrote that s/he couldn't tilt the camera once she did get it working.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @Jimil, I couldn't get your link to work.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    @kremesch73, I did that and it didn't work. Plus, someone wrote that s/he couldn't tilt the camera once she did get it working.

Jimil isn't linking to anything. She hates the game and is just putting hashtags in front of her comments.

To answer the question. You can try ctrl clicking to adjust the camera tilt. 'T' works in build mode only. I hated the camera controls at first but I'm used to them now. I find it hard to go back. Do you have the inverted options unchecked?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Thanks, @kremesch73, I'll give that a shot next time I play.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited November 2014
    Hello.

I'd start by getting to know the sims. They have intersting little quirks with both the traits and the emotion system.

A few of us have tried various expierments where we essentially stay "hands off" our sim for either a specified amount of time or for certain things, such as and mostly social interactions. It's quite intersting for instance to pair a gloomy sim with a cheerful sim and watch how they react to each other.

It's also intersting to see what certain traits do together, for instance I currently have an evil sim, who is also gloomy and has a love of music. He acts like a loner sometimes even without the loner trait. He has unique quirks specific to the mix of his traits.

Here's a few threads, you might enjoy. :)

Bad links sorry, hopefully this works.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/800333/do-opposites-attract-a-sims-4-social-experiment

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801208/bored-how-about-a-sims-4-social-study
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hello.

Kill as many as possible but even that is not going to be easy to accomplish. And yes, after playing all these games all these years and not actually stopping and Not playing one or the other but been playing them all for fourteen years, still today, this one is the dullest I have ever played.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    for me as for many others it is hard as well.. i try so hard to like it and evn thought i kind of want to play everyday now, its still not the wow-factor like skipping work or other tasks in order to play my game :P Didnt happy to me yet, so than i know it isnt a good game.

Try to create a storyline in your mind and start creating a sim, couple or family. Just play and surprises will come that may change your storyline into something else amazing, but with holding the basic story. That happens for me all the time. Try growing generations and see all the outcomes with maybe a few crazy sims in the middle.
    Or create a house full of roommates and see who ends up with each other.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Accomplish all the goals!!! This is a goal based game so you aren't going to have much fun if you don't do that.
  • Options
    GuruFanNo1GuruFanNo1 Posts: 389 Member
    I like the emotions
  • Options
    I like the emotions

I thought I did until about five hours into the game when I first tried it or maybe that was really when I bought it, don't remember but then I started to notice they all have the very same emotions which are mainly happy and confident. Which actually over rides their real traits, so I started to notice all Sims are actually the very same. That's when I decided they don't really have individual personalities and or emotions just moodlets that make them all seem the very same.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2014
    Mylita wrote: »
    AthenaOnyx, I agree. I played for a couple of weeks. I haven't played in almost 2 months, except for going in to build a pool when they were patched in. I wanted to love TS4, but there just isn't enough there to keep me going.

Mylita

Same here.
    I bailed on it. The only thing I did recently was try out some CC hair.

Someone created a conversion of TS3 CC hair and while it looks alright in stills, it's a mess when you see your sim move.
    11-27-14_5-33nbspPM.png

So I guess it's true that the game has difficulty with alpha mapping.
    I haven't really looked into CC hair, but I imagine there are some out there that don't have issues.

The same sim with EA hair.
    09-21-14_6-32nbspPM-2.png

I think I will just wait awhile and just bookmark interesting CC and see how the game pans out with EPs and CC.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    @Ck213, I really like those textures of the custom hair. That is no more than what some of the defaults in the TS2 had. I just don't understand EA's choice with the art style comparing those two hairstyles as far as texture and shape goes. (ends)... I guess I never will.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Ck213, I really like those textures of the custom hair. That is no more than what some of the defaults in the TS2 had. I just don't understand EA's choice with the art style comparing those two hairstyles as far as texture and shape goes. (ends)... I guess I never will.

I still call it the lazy art style...
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

I still call it the lazy art style...

Sometimes, it's really disappointing to look at that default hair in the TS4. Then look at custom hair. In the TS2 and TS3 I can see just as many strands and textures on their hair than in this game. It's really annoying to realize you almost convince yourself when playing the default TS4 hair isn't all that bad...lol..then you switch to TS2 and or TS3 and can count every lovely strand (texture) and come to your senses.
  • Options
    I do believe part of what I don't like is the cutesy-stylized look of it. My sister really like the cartoony look of certain games. She's not a simmer, but I wonder if she'll like s4. I've always preferred realism, or a more dark look in my games. I'm into the magic-style eps, but I don't think that I'll like them for s4 because I prefer a more LOTR vibe to a Sabrina the the Teenage Witch vibe.

Honestly, I'm cool just sitting this one out. I really don't think eps can save this one (for me, anyway). It was worth paying $30 to see what everyone was talking about.