Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tray files

LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
edited November 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
I was just curious about the Tray folder. Which files should only be in the Tray folder? I ask only because I've downloaded houses through TSR a few times and I want to make sure I'm transferring the right files. Also to make sure I have the right kind of files in the Tray folder. That way I know my game hasn't been acting because of it (might just be my mods but just double checking).

Edit: To be more specific on the file types here is the list that I see in there:
Blueprint file
BPI file
HHI file
Householdbinary file
MIDI sequence
Room file
SGI file
Trayitem file

Comments

• Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Offhand, I'm not sure about the MIDI sequence, but if it's not causing any problems, eh, leave it. The rest of that seems about right. :)

With TSR in particular, as it seems they don't allow CC to be included with lots or sims, if you download either of those types of content, everything you get with that download should go into the Tray folder. If you download from anywhere else that does allow CC in with lots/sims, you may have to sort out any .package files first and put them into Mods instead.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    Yeah I only have downloaded houses from TSR and Modthesims. Oddly enough it was the MIDI sequence files I was curious about because they're the only file with a different icon. Here is a screen shot of what that file icon looks like:http://prntscr.com/5arh7u It looks almost like a music/video file icon but I know it's not music. Is it even safe to delete those files?
    Anyone know if they're safe to delete?
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    You are correct in that MIDI is a sound sequence, hence why it stood out to me :D Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to play one of them? Is there actually any sound?

I have no idea if they are safe to remove, or if they even belong there or not. Perhaps try moving them out to a folder on your desktop (or somewhere easy to find) and see how the game acts without them? If the game acts weird, simply close without saving and put them all back. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I just looked through my Tray file, which has both Sims and Lots saved, and have no midi files at all. I wonder if they landed there during some kind of non-Sims-related file transfer that went astray?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Good idea Nearia35, I don't know why I didn't bother to just test it out and see how the game was without them lol DUH! I tried seeing if it they played music but it didn't work. I wonder if they're from some of my TSR houses that I've downloaded in the past? Either way, I'm going to test my game without them in the file and if the game acts fine without then I'll just delete those files.
    So I've been playing without mods and without those tray files and it seems my game is behaving. Since it's acting fine without those MIDI files I just went ahead and deleted them.
  • ashleylolzashleylolz Posts: 6 New Member
    what about RMI files? should they be in the tray folder???
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    ashleylolz wrote: »

Whatever is from the tray folder should stay in there. I don't remember there being any RMI files.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes, that's a Room file and goes in Tray.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    ashleylolz wrote: »

Hello @ashleylolz.
    Yes, rmi files come with the room files.
    They are there when the creation is a room.
  • ashleylolzashleylolz Posts: 6 New Member
    thank you guys so muchhhh!!!!! :smiley:
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    > @Lizziguin said:
    > So I've been playing without mods and without those tray files and it seems my game is behaving. Since it's acting fine without those MIDI files I just went ahead and deleted them.

Those aren't MIDI files. Windows determines the file types by the application references which are set in the registry for each file extension and this does not necessarily correspond to the content of any file or the application which was used to generate it. You can see by the identifiers (the fixed-length hexadecimal number which is in the name of each file of the set) that they're associated with one object. You should not delete these.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Although under file type it shows midi sequence, in my game they appear to be part of .rmi files. The attached pic show the tray files associated with luthienrising's room with a bookcase in it from the WC library that I just downloaded to get skill books for other libraries. Such a great idea, btw, @luthienrising. Many thanks.

Anyway, when I first saw them I was going to remove them because they looked so odd in the tray folder. I have a feeling they are the bookcase, though, so would most likely have had absolutely nothing in the room had I done so, lol.

[img][/img]v45stz.jpg
    > @DOLLDRMS1 said:
    > Although under file type it shows midi sequence, in my game they appear to be part of .rmi files. The attached pic show the tray files associated with luthienrising's room with a bookcase in it from the WC library that I just downloaded to get skill books for other libraries. Such a great idea, btw, @luthienrising. Many thanks.
    >
    > Anyway, when I first saw them I was going to remove them because they looked so odd in the tray folder. I have a feeling they are the bookcase, though, so would most likely have had absolutely nothing in the room had I done so, lol.
    >
    > [img]

Why not just open them with SimPE or a hex editor so you can see what they are? They certainly aren't audio.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    I haven't downloaded SimPE for TS4, nor do I have a hex editor. Besides, in this instance it's simple to use a process of elimination, lol. It's a 2x2 room that contains a bookcase with skill books. The 1KB Room file isn't going to be either of those, nor is the 1KB Trayitem file.

I do confess to being curious enough to open them with Windows Media Player, just to see what would happen. They opened but as expected, no audio was emitted.

Since this is the first room I've ever downloaded, I don't know if the object files have always shown type as Midi Sequence, or not. The room and its content functions fine. It just looks strange to see files that one would normally associate with audio in the Tray folder.
    > @DOLLDRMS1 said:
    > I haven't downloaded SimPE for TS4, nor do I have a hex editor. Besides, in this instance it's simple to use a process of elimination, lol. It's a 2x2 room that contains a bookcase with skill books. The 1KB Room file isn't going to be either of those, nor is the 1KB Trayitem file.
    >
    > I do confess to being curious enough to open them with Windows Media Player, just to see what would happen. They opened but as expected, no audio was emitted.
    >
    > Since this is the first room I've ever downloaded, I don't know if the object files have always shown type as Midi Sequence, or not. The room and its content functions fine. It just looks strange to see files that one would normally associate with audio in the Tray folder.

It would be simpler to read the headers and archive indexes so you can understand the purpose and structure of the content of that directory, but that's only my suggestion. Anyone who values their work would choose to analyze the file(s) and every file with a standard extension will be reported by windows as the type which is normally associated therefore you can assume that they were always listed as 'MIDI' files and that is entirely irrelevant to their content.

Sometimes it's best to study things rather than allowing others to believe that small losses can be overlooked as long as they haven't encountered a problem as of yet. When they encounter the problem they'll regret the loss.
    So I've just analyzed someone's custom room and you can see immediately by opening the RMI file which has no header that the content is image data however it can't be opened with any standard viewer due to encoding. There are always two files, one small, one large: The small file is the gallery thumbnail, and the large file is the lot/room preview image which is displayed in the item details. If you delete either of these the game will tell you that the item could not be located when you attempt to insert the room so don't delete these or you'll lose all of your custom rooms.
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello.
    > This link explains about what files are in sims households, lots and rooms.
    > The midi files are a part of a room set of files.

@rosemow, is there any official link for an explanation of the purpose of these files from EA or maxis? It would be greatly appreciated if an official document was created regarding file types and purpose, especially those of the saves directory since players are losing their neighborhood left and right after visiting Answer Headquarters. (I'm not arguing since I can see that your response is the correct one, I'm just adding information)
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello.
    > This link explains about what files are in sims households, lots and rooms.
    > The midi files are a part of a room set of files.

@rosemow, is there any official link for an explanation of the purpose of these files from EA or maxis? It would be greatly appreciated if an official document was created regarding file types and purpose, especially those of the saves directory since players are losing their neighborhood left and right after visiting Answer Headquarters. (I'm not arguing since I can see that your response is the correct one, I'm just adding information)

Hello,
    These EA links and simguru posts explain about save files and last exception and crash files
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-4/
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14262742/#Comment_14262742
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14302212/#Comment_14302212

I am not sure if there is an EA article on the tray files.
  • plxoplxo Posts: 15 New Member
    Can anyone help me about tray files & sims? I don't want a bunch of their cc but want the sim - their genetics! I have householdbinary, trayitem, sgi x3, hhi x2.
    edited September 2016
    plxo wrote: »
    Can anyone help me about tray files & sims? I don't want a bunch of their cc but want the sim - their genetics! I have householdbinary, trayitem, sgi x3, hhi x2.

Hello @plxo .

Your tray folder ( in your sims 4 folder ) contains the files of the sims households and the lots that you have saved to your library. Each sims household contains 5 files and an extra file for each extra sim. ( 1x .householdbinary, 1x trayitem, 2x .sgi, 1x .hhi and an extra sgi file for each extra sim)
    A Lot consists of 6-11 files, depending on how many floors your Lot has (1 trayitem file, 1blueprint file and 4 bpi files, and an extra bpi files for each extra floor).
    cc doesn't transfer through the gallery so you won't receive the cc when downloading from the gallery.
    If you have downloaded the sim from an external site, the cc would be in the package files that come with the download. If you don't install the cc package files, you won't have the cc in your game,

• mysimsandi2mysimsandi2 Posts: 105 Member
    why can't i find bpi. files in my tray folder?