Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    EA just needs to restore trust in the Maxis brand. Free toddlers would go a long way towards that.

If they continue running Maxis into the ground, its IPs will join the many others that EA killed or zombie-fied (as mobile money sinks) because they're too "niche". One more thing Mr. Hilleman said goes along the lines of "video games need to be more mass market". This thinking is what left Top 40 pop music, network TV, and Hollywood blockbuster movies so insipid.

Tastes are too diverse to find a lowest common denominator. EA should be Metallica, not Maroon 5 - making genre hits, not mass-market tripe.
    Are you referring to the interesting article on http://kotaku.com/surprisingly-real-talk-from-a-top-man-at-ea-1538708191 ?
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    EA chose to use the money on something else in the basegame instead of toddlers. But I don't agree that everybody are hungry for toddlers. If EA had believed that they would have included them in the basegame instead of the multitasking or they would have made a toddler expanision by now. But I doubt strongly that EA will make them now because toddlers are very expensive to develop if they also shall have a suitable amount of interactions, clothes and objects to use - and even so people still won't pay for the toddlers. So I actually expect EA to develop other expansions instead ;)

While toddlers might be expensive to develop, I do not think they would have stickied a thread about toddlers and ideas for toddlers if they had no interest/desire or plans to make them.
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    EA chose to use the money on something else in the basegame instead of toddlers. But I don't agree that everybody are hungry for toddlers. If EA had believed that they would have included them in the basegame instead of the multitasking or they would have made a toddler expanision by now. But I doubt strongly that EA will make them now because toddlers are very expensive to develop if they also shall have a suitable amount of interactions, clothes and objects to use - and even so people still won't pay for the toddlers. So I actually expect EA to develop other expansions instead ;)

While toddlers might be expensive to develop, I do not think they would have stickied a thread about toddlers and ideas for toddlers if they had no interest/desire or plans to make them.

It's the first sign of listening that we've had in a very long time, which is definitely hopeful. I admit to cynicism on the matter after all this time, but I do hope that you are right and that it isn't just a pacifying move made by forum management. Even if some degree of pacification was needed - it's become such a sensitive subject.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sigh I hate it, I think my patch request list got longer: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/883976/what-do-you-want-to-see-patched-in/p3 Of course top on my list was toddlers. Only thing with making lists I tend to forget them and they change each time.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sigh I hate it, I think my patch request list got longer: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/883976/what-do-you-want-to-see-patched-in/p3 Of course top on my list was toddlers. Only thing with making lists I tend to forget them and they change each time.

If they patch all your goodies I will buy the game. :) Not gonna hold my breath though. :lol:
    edited April 2016
    bekkasan wrote: »

If they patch all your goodies I will buy the game. :) Not gonna hold my breath though. :lol:
    I know it is a lot. I was so tempted to add preteens to the list too. :D
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

lol...go use that edit button...might as well dream big!!!
    edited April 2016

lol...go use that edit button...might as well dream big!!!
    Yeah I should add it. Might as well make it my dream patch list. B) I edit my posts so much, it's scary especially on my tablet.
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    I'm hoping (against my better judgement) that the delay in news right now is because they were going to announce Toddlers, and then they saw all the ideas in that stickied thread and went, "oh, we need to add a lot more stuff...." and so now they're working on some extra content & gameplay before the announcement ^_^

It is probably not the case, but I guess I am more of an optimist than I realised.

I think today will be a Sims 2 kind of day for me. I'm ready to sail away into a completely enthralling virtual reality.
    bethyGrace wrote: »
    I'm hoping (against my better judgement) that the delay in news right now is because they were going to announce Toddlers, and then they saw all the ideas in that stickied thread and went, "oh, we need to add a lot more stuff...." and so now they're working on some extra content & gameplay before the announcement ^_^

It is probably not the case, but I guess I am more of an optimist than I realised.

I think today will be a Sims 2 kind of day for me. I'm ready to sail away into a completely enthralling virtual reality.

I am hoping against the same judgement.

No this gives hope and it is obvious that they will consider them when they make such a thread. The problem just is if they only wanted ideas to convince EA or if they really have a green light from EA to make them?

I would believe that it could be difficult - first to have EA's permission to omit them - and then later to get EA's accept to make a toddler GP to include them anyway. Especially because I would actually expect such a GP to get lower sales numbers than the other GPs.
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member

I agree.

@Scobre I love the names of your babies. :lol: so original. I would love to see more of your story as the kids grow up.... lol I'm loving the name

@bethyGrace that's a possibility I have considered but with the toddler thread only just stickied.... I'm at a crossroads to what I think, however I would like to wonder down your path but my feet are currently stuck. :disappointed:

Once I get a perfect grow fruit I would have finished the challenge. But at my sim was new and doesn't have a high gardening skill I doubt that I will finish the challenge. I will say it was nice to play something silly and away from my usual style.
    No this gives hope and it is obvious that they will consider them when they make such a thread. The problem just is if they only wanted ideas to convince EA or if they really have a green light from EA to make them?

I would believe that it could be difficult - first to have EA's permission to omit them - and then later to get EA's accept to make a toddler GP to include them anyway. Especially because I would actually expect such a GP to get lower sales numbers than the other GPs.

I actually wonder if there was permission to omit them, per say. It is far easier to get forgiveness than permission for anything.

I also hope that if it is toddlers is a focus for a GP/EP that the basics for toddlers are released via a patch. Walk/talk/learn to potty, some default outfits. Real just basic stuff. If toddlers are tied to a EP only then that means forget about any new content for them in any future packs released. That would be a huge disappointment. For an example, lets say they are tied to the EP only. Pets are released after the toddlers ... there would be no animations of pets interacting with toddlers. Packs are designed so that they do not rely on each other. Same with toddlers and seasons. They wouldn't make animations for a toddler playing in a pile of leaves since not everyone will have both packs.

Basic toddlers via patch, then flush the heck out of them in a pack. Give them a bunch of extras, throw in an idea or ten off the stickied thread and I don't think it will have lower sales numbers.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    @Gruffman, the whole tied up thing Is not true. The team has added things through patches for packs before and even ghost which were patched in. It just has to do with coding and time. I think you should ask them first before saying this.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I know, everybody here is in for toddlers, but I also think a nice and good memory system like in Sims 2 could increase the family play fun! Sims could tell their kids/grandkids about their memories!

I actually wonder if there was permission to omit them, per say. It is far easier to get forgiveness than permission for anything.

I also hope that if it is toddlers is a focus for a GP/EP that the basics for toddlers are released via a patch. Walk/talk/learn to potty, some default outfits. Real just basic stuff. If toddlers are tied to a EP only then that means forget about any new content for them in any future packs released. That would be a huge disappointment. For an example, lets say they are tied to the EP only. Pets are released after the toddlers ... there would be no animations of pets interacting with toddlers. Packs are designed so that they do not rely on each other. Same with toddlers and seasons. They wouldn't make animations for a toddler playing in a pile of leaves since not everyone will have both packs.

Basic toddlers via patch, then flush the heck out of them in a pack. Give them a bunch of extras, throw in an idea or ten off the stickied thread and I don't think it will have lower sales numbers.

That would be acceptable and a good compromise for me. If they patch them in with the base stuff so content could be added in follow up eps/sp/gps/whatever's then I would considering buying the base and would definitely buy the ep with more goodies if I bought the base. Still no guarantee I'd buy the base as I'd really have to think about all the other things I'm not happy with in or out of Sims4 and origin. I guess I'd have to do one of my pro's/con's lists and see which side weighed heavier. :lol:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I doubt that Maxis would omit toddlers without an accept from EA. Everything points on Maxis being in extremely hard time trouble which resulted in the omission of toddlers, giving teens same height as adults and extreme simplification of babies. So there must have been negotiations between Maxis and EA where Maxis asked EA for a little more time and resources to finish the game. Those negotiations then must have resulted in an agreement where EA preferred the simplifications and omissions instead of a postponement of the release date.

I know that many people believe that toddlers in a GP/EP wouldn't get more objects and interactions in later expansions. But this isn't necessarily true which was proved in TS2 where EPs usually also added extra things which only could be used by people who also had the earlier EPs. So the problem could easily be solved that way.
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    About whatever is taking so long for the new gp or whatever is being worked on. A lot of people are waiting to hear news. But for me Im just all chill. Like Im not excited or anxiously waiting or anything. Im just here and when they anounce it then cool. But at the moment Im not upset or anything that nothing has been announced. Im just enjoying playing my sims 3 and 2 games right now. Sure it will be cool when they do say what they are working on. But at the moment Im not dwelling on it or anything. I guess cuz I dont care all that much at the moment. Im just enjoying my other games. Now Id freak out if toddlers had anything to do with it but I doubt that one. Im sure when they say what they are working on then Ill get excited. But for right now Im just enjoying my sims 3.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I believe the situation with Toddlers, pools, etc. was due to the former CEO of EA wanting everything online. At the time that Sims 4 was under development, everything was being geared toward online play where there wasn't much interaction between Sims themselves (we were supposed to provide that) and family stages weren't even included (again as we'd all be playing YAs instead of Elders, Teens, Toddlers or Babies). Remember that the game was in development well before SimCity 2013 came out and because of the backlash from the fans of that game, plus the change in the CEO, the Developers had to do some serious backpedaling to remove all traces of online features from Sims 4.

With the change in direction midstream, some things had to be left out in order to make the release date (like Pools and Toddlers et al.) While they probably were working at the time to add those features (many of which came back fairly shortly after the initial release), the final coding wasn't in place yet and needed tweaking from the get go. Those features weren't ready for the initial release.

Toddlers aren't easy to add unless they had been in the original conception from the beginning. And many of the interactions necessary for Toddlers require additional animations, and interactions etc that weren't part of the basic programming.

I would love for Toddlers to return and to have Family play expanded. For now, I'm content with Sims 2 & 3. And my other amusements which I probably shouldn't name on a Sims site as they are games made by other companies. :D
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited April 2016

Hi Gruffman,

EA has dangled too many things under our noses since before release that far too many of us considered clues that we would get toddlers. And the post may be just another "reaction" to all the "we want toddler" posts that were flooding the site again. So lets just gather them in one spot.

I hope you are right and I am wrong, but with the way things have been, I have doubts. Big Doubts.

Welcome back by the way. :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

poppykoke wrote: »
    @Gruffman, the whole tied up thing Is not true. The team has added things through patches for packs before and even ghost which were patched in. It just has to do with coding and time. I think you should ask them first before saying this.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I am not sure you read my post. I'm in left field.

If toddlers are released in an EP and not patched in I do not expect any future packs to have content for them. What is in the pack is what we get in the pack. I said I hoped that they are patched in first before the release of a pack with toddlers to flush them out. That way, they could be added to in future EP, GP or even a stuff pack.

In Sims3, Supernatural EP. Was anything added to any other packs for the supernaturals? Did the faeries, witches, zombies, werewolves get anything added? With world adventures, did we get any new places to visit like China, France or Egypt? Did they add anything to the marital arts? No. It was all tied to those EP.
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member

Yes, I agree that would be a great way for them to do it, as long as the patch came hand-in-hand with the promise of more content coming soon. Then the "I won't pay for toddlers" camp will be satisfied (hopefully) and the "I'll pay for awesome toddlers" camp will also be satisfied.

But who knows. Apparently we're still going to be kept on waiting and waiting.... >_> This week at least, lol.
  • jelly13beanzjelly13beanz Posts: 33 Member
    hello c:
    jelly13beanz_zpsyy2g7nxg.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top